Project A16 = Atelier Shallie

atelier-shallie-revealed-1

In the latest issue of Dengeki Magazine, Gust’s Project A16 is revealed as Atelier Shallie, a game which continues the series’ alchemical adventures in the land of Dusk, and offering once again two lovely protagonists to play with – minus a male for this outing it seems.

atelier-shallie-revealed-1

atelier-shallie-revealed-2

atelier-shallie-revealed-3

atelier-shallie-revealed-4

atelier-shallie-revealed-5

atelier-shallie-revealed-6

The two alchemist heroines are Shallistera and Shallotte, who are already being well-received by fans, and with Atelier Rorona and Totori’s director, Yoshito Okamura, returning to head the project, there is optimism that the series will return to its “ high impact sexually violent” moe roots.

Those hoping for a moe RPG on the PS4 will have to wait another half decade it seems – it is so far confirmed for the PS3 only.

02:44 27/03/2014 # ! Good (+0.7)

To the people who are major butthurt about this game over the lack of a male protag, or saying things like “I’m okay with the two feMCs, I just wished the game had male/female MCs instead” need to shut up and go away.

Not every game needs a male protag so boys can date a virtual girlfriend or two or more. Not every game has to feature pretty boys to bait fangirls. Why do you want some guy for, huh? As fangirls, do you want to be baited by him and wish the game has romance going on between the girls and him, or wish there are more pretty boys coming along with him? As fanboys, do you want to self-insert as him because playing as a girl is awkward and embarrassing, or so you can date a cute girl or make a harem in the game?

Games with female-dominated cast with female-only MCs are rare enough. It’s even rarer that there are good ones. We barely get any of them every year, and we may never see ones like Neptunia ever again. Yeah, Neptunia is filled with fanservice but it manages to come out as a good series. Even girls play its games too. Atelier was like that too until Gust had to pander to some female audience by including male MCs. Atelier had some of the best female MCs who have strong personalities and don’t need to look too cute.

I feel your pain alright and I am sorry for the rant, but there are so many, many other games that has dudes for MCs and they are everywhere. Say, the whole Tales series, or that one IdolMaster game, or the upcoming SAO game. If you are so much annoyed that this new Atelier game only has two female MCs, then don’t bother playing it. I wish this game to be a success and prove that you don’t need a male MC to be a good game.

14:24 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm glad there's two FMCs, but I want a Atelier game similar to the Iris series to show up...

08:44 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Well it's not like these girls are even sexy or anything, maybe they're made for girls who want to play as girls?

It's funny that this is the only place in the world where the discussion about making "games for girls" doesn't mean making games with female protagonists but male ones. You're assuming way too hard by thinking everyone who wants a male character in their games is obviously a female who wants an MC character they can drool over or make fanfictions about. I know some guys who don't want to play as male characters because they put themselves into the role of the character and they feel they can't identify with female ones. Personally I don't care, I want more games with genderless spaceships.

Tbh I have no idea about this series and only leared a very little bit of it since it's getting an anime, But I just wanted to comment that I like your comment. I actually had no real reason to reply to you other than Suddenly Feeling like it after reading your comment... I do agree tho.

23:01 26/03/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

Two beautiful girls, love it

Comment by Neonie
    20:00 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The brown haired one reminds me of Totori.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    00:02 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

She is Totori and Mimi's love child.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    17:31 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Two beautiful female protagonists?! I think my dream game is coming to fruition. High Impact Sexual Violence, yay!

17:35 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yay for tomboy!

And with Persona 5 and this, I still have no reason to get next-gen consoles.

Comment by Fresh Start!
    00:58 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Project Miku?

19:49 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Interessting, people state their opinion that they prefer a mixed cast (male+female leads) without hating against the game and get downvoted and insulted as a result. Seems like there are many butthurt and intolerant people around here.

Comment by Bill
    23:52 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, the people that you mention are the ones who are butthurt and intolerant. Getting a game with all-female-MCs is like waiting for a shooting star to come.

03:11 28/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Hi, you must be anon 00:08!

03:10 28/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You clearly have no idea what those words even mean.

06:17 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Cathat looks... weirdly too modern for the game aesthetic, methinks. She would fit right in to The World Ends With You or whatever, but in the Atelier series she just looks out of place.

Comment by babak
    21:43 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Why they don't release thess games on pc?
    I have ps3 but I really don't feel like playing whit it pc is much more convenient.

What's with Japan's sudden drop in male lead characters? I'm all for competent ladies, but Japan needs to sack up and learn how to make a strong guy.

20:00 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

They make games like that sometimes but they almost never sell. Anarchy Reigns comes to mind. But hey, there's always Solid Snake at least...

19:09 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

A strong, respectable guy. Like Mr. Torque from Borderlands 2.

Everyone wants to be the little girl, that's why.

Better than the West's almost complete lack of female lead characters. Japan doesn't have to worry as much about neo-feminists biting their head off for every portrayal. Even shitty ones, like Other M's Samus.

Although personally, I'd like to give players a choice. But players shouldn't be forced to play characters they don't like or care about.

Say NOT to the metrosexual MC, except so they are equal to Kintaro Oe.

If they can just alchemize themselves some penises then everybody wins.

Comment by Fresh Start!
    23:55 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

The Atelier series is starting to give off Call of Duty vibes.

Yeah I don't like single gender games/animes. Neither all females or all males.

Need a nice mix, or at least a token female/male.

01:56 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You guys tolerate games with male and male/female protags but not games with female-only protags? Absolutely pathetic.

08:48 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

read the fucking comment man, you're replying to someone who clearly stated "I don't like games that are exclusively one gender, all male or all female".

Comment by Emophia
    22:52 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

L2 read mate.

I don't like games were the party is all males either.

In games with only one character, I can deal with either gender.

Comment by SnooSnoo

After Ayesha and Escha/Logy I'm not sure if Gust knows what they're doing anymore.

04:57 28/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Atelier SnooSnoo The Douche of Sankaku.

without male? no thanks, girls only anime/games are mostly boring. Mixed cast is the most entertaining. But i can understand that some like the lack of a male lead because many of the male protagonists from Japan are boring, dumb and annoying. I Still prefer a mixed cast.

01:57 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Why don't you play that fuckjoshit iM@S game then, fuckjoshit? Not every game is in need of a dude for an MC.

19:13 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

you just went full retard, never go full retard

08:37 27/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

fuckjoshit! fuck joe shit!

Comment by babak
    22:18 26/03/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Making cool guys is really hard.
    the thing is a cool guy always is better than female characters. and they are unforgettable.
    but if there want to force generic male characters into it I rather to stick to a all girl game.