Nylon Pink FFX-2 Cover “Total Disaster”

ffx2-girls-by-nomura

Ersatz K-pop band Nylon Pink’s recently released cover of Final Fantasy X-2′s intro song “Real Emotion” has been attracting opprobrium from Final Fantasy diehards for blaspheming against a beloved classic – an unsurprising outcome considering the quality of most American interpretations of Japanese content – or alternatively, the hostile reception it inevitably faces from fans…

The song in question (Nylon Pink‘s description of themselves as the “only all-Asian American female band in the United States” supplying all the background anyone could wish for):

The English version:

The Japanese version:

Fans can likely look forward to it replacing the intro for a new social game remake of the classic, with the way things are going at Square Enix of late…

19:03 24/02/2014 # ! Quality (+1.0)

So what does that Sena tablet have to do with anything?

20:28 24/02/2014 # ! Good (+0.7)

It's a... cover?

Fuck, that's a stretch.

23:39 24/02/2014 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

It's a terrible garbage j-pop song with equally bad alternate language versions/covers. If it was an actual good song (which would be wasted on such a crappy game), then people would have a reason to be bad.

Comment by Chris
    18:21 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Are you mad?

Comment by WEL
    22:40 24/02/2014 # ! Quality (+0.8)

FFX-2 can be anything but a beloved classic is not.

Comment by cats2
    19:37 24/02/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

The real news is that Japanese people think the west likes the game.

Much less treating that opening song as anything but a highlight of "Haha, what the fuck where they thinking..."

Millions people in the west says you're a fucking clueless idiot.

03:10 03/03/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I dont know a single person that think X-2 is good. Never seen anyone post they love it on internet neither. Only thing I have seen is some ppl like the combat system & that is it. Else its HORRIBLE.

14:59 29/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

and furthermore, I don't want to sound sexist but the only people I have met that like to verbally bash this game are males who are embarrassed that their FFX turned into a girly diva game. The only people I have met that really love it are girls including myself. So, what's so bad about a game that explores Yuna's adventures following the "ending" of FFX? The game is well made. It is not as if they just put together a half-assed remake and neglected the graphics or the storyline of the previous title. Maybe it is not what the original fans wanted but so what? Do you have to shame all the people who enjoy it?

14:46 29/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

really? It's my favorite game ever.. I've spent over 200 hours on multiple save files of that game. I didn't even beat Final Fantasy X before doing so.. and I even bought the strategy guide..and the re-release both on the psvita and the ps3..

06:17 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

And billions of people around the globe know you're an idiot.

06:28 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

And everyone knows that an opinion is an opinion is an opinion. One likes what another one does not.

Speak for yourself asshole.

Comment by cats2
    09:52 27/02/2014 # ! Good (+0.4)

If it wasn't for the west's HATE for handhelds, it would the bottom of the barrel sales wise.

"I like it, shut up!!"

Doesn't really apply here..

actually from jump you was speaking for yourself, their are many fans of the game, your personal dislike doesn't speak for them, so if your going to call anyone an asshole, maybe you should wipe the shitdribble coming from your own?

01:22 26/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Naw, that game just really, REALLY blew. When I saw the intro my reaction was WTF is this?! I tried to play the game and couldn't get 10 minutes into it before I wrote it off as dung. Any other gamer with standards would do the same. There wasn't one square millimeter of the case and dvd that wasn't covered in my puke.

FINAL Fantasy shouldn't have sequels. There's nothing very "Final" about a sequel. But then Final Fantasy hasn't been Final Fantasy in a very long time. These are now just mediocre jrpgs. They aren't the bar-raising jrpgs they used to be. The whole team behind FF should be fired and replaced with anyone else at this point.

But I know. There will always be fanboys who cannot let go and will follow this series straight into hell with a smile.

05:03 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Those fans of the games are brainless morons.

It is like saying there are fans of Lightning Returns, a game that only braindead idiots could enjoy.

God forbid other people like different things than you, huh?

23:33 24/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My Ears are bleeding after hearing this song. Give me Koda Kumi's Version Please!!!!!

Comment by Benoist
    10:24 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Here, have some ear bleach.

Seriously, this is really awful. And I'm not even a FF-fan.

Comment by PouiuoP
    13:29 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't even like Final Fantasy and I know this is horrible. Doesn't deserve this garbage at all.

10:42 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I enjoy Koda Kumi version better.

The Nylon Pink version consisting compilation of distorted noises, backed by bunch of bad singers.. The instrument doesn't even rhythm/blending together, its like several people that each of them is playing a different songs.

10:18 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

wow, nylon pink they are beautiful but what a shit performance

04:18 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lol at 0:50
    Playing invisible strings

02:53 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

well it's terribad, horrible arrangement, bad interpretation, and that crappy look, add more colors and whatever really.. bad bad cover

10:32 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's tell the truth... all versions are bad

19:18 24/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

all korean stuff should go to hell !!

00:23 26/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

you idiot. They're not even Korean. Check your facts before posting your bullshit.

06:01 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't this stuff Japanese? Why Korean?

19:30 24/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

at least there all fucking better what you guys are fucking trolling try fucking debutting asshole

07:02 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Making a debut by covering songs isn't a great way to start though.

Japanese outsource anime production to korea, weak japanese beta mail with small penises can't compete so they spend their jobless time fapping to eroge or bullying anyone that wears their backpack the wrong way. Yeah, it must be THEIR fault, right?

Japs are so fucking hateful to everyone and anything, that only another a-bomb might straighten up your fucked up attitude towards other people. Or maybe losen that asshole of yours a bit and stop pretending to be polite when you inside really want to murder everyone else and rape any teen girl available. Might make your people happier.

10:44 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Really dont look horrible, the real horrible is the freacks tards of FF who inclusive think to FF13 cabin boy/girl apathic prota lolning is sexy.....my gosh.

10:11 26/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't really watch anime or hentai much do you.

08:08 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

They aren't even Korean. They look like shitty dirty thai, laos, cambodian chicks.

04:25 28/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Ur saying they're not even dirty koreans??

Comment by Jungle Evil
    08:04 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I saw them at a convention here in America and bought their CD. They do a lot of covers. Horrible? Jesus do you people really have that asinine of standards? This is far from terrible. A lot of covers they do sound off from the original songs. This is just how the band sounds. Go listen to their other songs. Their cover of Every Heart is AMAZING and I would even reckon that it's better than the original in Inu Yasha.

They can play Master Of Puppets beautifully, but only for a few seconds or else copyright police my step in. They where a lot of fun live.

Comment by Daniel Park
    12:44 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The only downside of K-ON! is inspiring girls to do shit like this.

21:38 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

This was my first time hearing the Japanese version of Real Emotion. It actually does sound better than the English version, but it's somehow even less believable that it's Yuna singing it. Sure, the English singer didn't sound anything like Hedy Buress, but the Japanese singer couldn't have sounded anything less like Yuna's JP actress if the song had been done by Norio fucking Wakamoto.

14:15 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The cover looks like traps. Crossdressing Squall on top, crossdressing Tidus in the middle and Crossdressing Sephiroth in the botton.

16:43 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the dangers of stuff like bishounen, crossdressing, and all that stuff. One day, what we consider the hottest looking women today will just confuse men in the future, and same in the vice versa for women. What is a "man", and what is a "woman", would it just boil down to the shape of their genitals? Total sexual confusion. No one's gonna be attractive anymore.

13:12 01/03/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Or everyone will be attractive and we will wallow in bisexuality!

17:57 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Typical Koreans I guess, copies what Japanese does but always makes things worse.

00:24 26/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Check them out on wiki. Not Korean.

13:23 26/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, I never actually minded either the Japanese or English versions of Real Emotion.

The Japanese version, which I don't understand, is just fun to listen to. Like Athena Asamiya's themes in KoF '95 & '97. The English version I always liked, even if I only caught half the words :p

But this cover?

Well...I can understand the words. That's a plus. But, the rest is just physically painful to my ears. I don't know if it's the harder beat that doesn't really belong on Bubblegum J-Pop like the original is, if it's the voices themselves, or if it just slightly sounds...out of tune or something. Notes one expects to hear are replaced with notes an octave(?) higher or lower than they should be at odd points.

And the opening, which stutters the "What can I do for you?" line?

Grating.

20:46 25/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

wow, that is surprisingly bad.

21:18 26/02/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Not so much out of tune as it is just going overboard with interpretive liberties concerning the verse melody. I'll concur that it still sounds pretty bad.

The riffs are catchy, though. It helps to be a rocker, I suppose. If they hadn't taken it so far with the verses, I wouldn't have hesitated to add this track to my playlists.