zelda-musou (1)

zelda-musou (2)

Nintendo’s unveiling of “Zelda Musou,” the latest entry into the massive cookie-cutter Dynasty Warrior franchise, has been the cause of some consternation with those concerned about Nintendo’s post-Wii slide into mediocrity.

The game, due in the summer of 2014 for the Wii U, has been revealed by way of a trailer:

zelda-musou (3)

zelda-musou (4)

zelda-musou (5)

zelda-musou (6)

zelda-musou (7)

Massive derision has been the response:

“What…”

“I thought this was just some weak joke but they actually did it!”

“Nintendo must really be struggling to be releasing a Dynasty Warriors title, the lowest level of action game.”

“This is the worst combination possible.”

“First Mario dies, now Zelda. Nintendo won’t last long if they keep sacrificing their top titles.”

“The best Nintendo’s elite graduates could come out with is this?”

“This title just exemplifies Nintendo’s decline.”

“Won’t the foreigners love this one!”

“Actually I quite want to play this one.”

“I’m sick of these damn lawnmower games.”

“Please stop this.”

“Have they really fallen this far?”

“What next, Pikmin Musou?”

“Pokemon Musou might work…”

05:47 20/12/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

At the very least they're trying something new, unlike western game companies who just slightly updates the graphics, adds a -slight- change to a very generic story, and ships it out. I, for one, am quite fond of these kinds of games, so i'm looking forward to it.

Comment by Siveria
    11:38 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree with this poster, at least Nintendo has the balls to try something actually new with one of its game series, every cod, battlefield etc is pretty much the exact same game with slightly better graphics and a slightly diffrent story, same for all the other big series, pretty much the exact same shit every single game. Besides, a musou game probally doesn't need a huge budget really. I mean i'd still not buy a Wii-u since it really has nothing to offer to me that i'd consider worth buying. If a 60 dollar game does not offer me at least 30 hours of gameplay in one playthru I won't touch it. Which pretty much means almost every single AAA game will never get bought by me. I may pirate them, but I'd not buy them since gameplay wise they just aren't worth my money.

Comment by Atom
    18:13 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Halo, one of those 'big series' made an RTS out of it's FPS series. It was shit.

Under the Tom Clancy name, an RTS was made from an FPS/TPS series. It wasn't shit, but it wasn't great.

Littlebigplanet later had "littlebigplanet Karting" or something weird like that. Not bad, not great.

Resistance jumped around from FPS Horror to FPS squad shooter to FPS standard.

Fallout had a "Fallout Tactics" somewhere in there.

For that matter, Fallout 3 was an FPRPG shooter.

Cod Black Ops 2 added in some sort of tower defense or strategy element.

Sniper Elite had some survivalist zombie addition as a standalone expansion pack.

And finally, for Battlefield's defense,
    It's not just an FPS. It's an FPS with strong flight simulator and Third Person vehicle warfare elements, as well as strategy with that commander thing.

14:00 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

By the by it a practice that they are trying something new for the franchise. So yea whatever.

13:25 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Except this isn't new at all. It was new in 1997. Now it's 16 years old.

18:19 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

By that logic, you could call pretty much every game old...

Comment by Naoe
    08:52 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

COD Musou sounds fun....lol

09:33 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Heheh, yeah, the only musou you'd actually end up being the massive pool of blood.

12:10 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, they're "trying something new" by putting a Zelda skin on top of Dynasty Warriors. Very new indeed.

02:29 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It's new to Zelda. Never mind the fact that a NEW, a REALLY new idea, one that has never ever been used before is like finding gold in horse shit. So yea, it's new.

05:16 20/12/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"Nintendo has hit rock bottom"

Like Gundam, One Piece and Fists of the Northstar before it.

Everyone makes fun of Musou but people still buy them.

05:43 20/12/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I like Musou games. A lot. But I don't need 5 of them every single year.

23:34 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Couldn't have countered this stupid Sankaku report any better. I haven't seen any negativity towards this game since it's reveal what so ever... until I come to SanCom, of course.

10:08 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Much like I will. The Musou games are predictable but they're also enjoyable if all you want is button-mashing against hordes of enemies.

Comment by Siveria
    11:34 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

One of my favorite in that series are the Samurai warriors and Warrior's Orochi title lines, Especally the Warrior Orochi since it can use its own storyline they create, plus it probally has all your favorites from dw and sw in it. Hell WO3 has Ayane in it from dead or alive.

15:30 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I love Warriors Orochi. I definitely prefer it over Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors. I'm also really looking forward to this game. Even if the Warriors games are mindless, they're still very fun and addicting. Ultimately I'd prefer a Pokemon Warriors game, I think that could work well.

10:43 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It could be much worse; they could make a Zelda CoD clone.

Comment by Char
    06:06 20/12/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

What major gaming company hasn't sunk to the bottom yet?

Nintendo still has a long way to go before they're as low as EA and Ubisoft.

Comment by Yamato
    07:16 20/12/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

hell, even compared to its Japanese compatriates, Nintendo is nowhere near as bad as Squenix or Capcom.

23:35 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

They still actually make money, so they're far from rock bottom. FAAAAAR......

Comment by Katsura
    12:12 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

EA sure, but Ubisoft has been redeeming themselves. They've scrapped their draconian DRM policies after the AC2 fiasco.

Comment by Char
    13:31 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My thoughts on mainstream American gaming right now is it can go die in a fire.

20:55 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ubisoft is French, idiot.

10:55 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

20:55
    Silly anon, everyone knows Europe is America Light.

19:57 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

10:55 that's far too general, allow me to correct you.
    Western europe = america light
    Eastern europe = poor countries
    Northern europe ( norway, sweden, finland, denmark and iceland) = stealth countries staking out their own course

Comment by Rya
    17:30 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Really? I click a desktop link of a certain ubisoft game. That opens Steam. Steam opens uplay. uplay opens the game launcher. Another click needed to start the game. If that's what you call redeeming...

05:25 20/12/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

This type of game cater to a specific audience. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple as that. The game will still sell at least 500k copies.

05:35 20/12/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Oh god some those comments are above are hilarious! Anyways I mean it's not that bad guys, with the huge success of Link Between Worlds and 3D World how is Nintendo hitting rock bottom? They're sales are going up and they still have MK 8 and Smash Bros which are both system sellers alone. I probably won't get the Musou Link game but if a friend buys I wouldn't mind borrowing it.

06:09 20/12/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

I know right? Nintendo had some great games this year
    Games like Pikmn 3. Fire Emblem Awakening, Mario 3D World, Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X and Y, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Luigi's Maison Dark Moon, Mario and Luigi Team Team and NES Remix

Next year it's DKC: TF, Smash, Mario Kart 8, Monolith Soft's X

But one Musou suddenly Nintendo has "hit rock bottom" and the "Wii decline" continues

12:11 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

mario kart a shit

"mario kart a shit"

Ladies and gentlemen, the Nintendo hater at its finest! lol

11:10 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The only good Mario Kart was released on SNES. Every Kart since is garbage with extra gimmicks included, knowing that this is enough to bring back the same shitty customers again and again. The series is so bad, you may as well rename Mario Kart to Mario Party. U mad? Yeah U mad.

10:56 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The only good Mario Kart was released on SNES, faggot.

22:56 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd like to think it was supposed I be "Mario Kart IS THE shit" because seriously how could you call Mario Kart shit and not just be a troll.

05:42 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Only thing could make me buy a Nintendo system nowadays is Bayonetta 2...

10:11 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Without the support of 3rd party devs, the Wii U is bound to die in obscurity. No amount of Mario or Zelda games can save the Wii U if Nintendo fails to convince 3rd party devs to make games for the Wii U, and why would they when the xbone and ps4 already has a larger market share and hardware that isn't 10 years behind technology.

I wouldn't even buy it for that. Just wait til their exclusive runs out and it'll be on PS4 soon after.

11:03 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

07:34
    Prove it. Show me where it was stated that Nintendo required Platinum Games to make Bayonetta 2 exclusive to Wii U.

"The game's exclusivity to the Wii U resulted in complaints by some fans of the original game. In response, Atsushi Inaba, a Producer at Platinum Games, said Bayonetta 2 would not exist if Nintendo had not partnered with Platinum Games to make the game. Because of this, it will be released exclusively on the Wii U."

In that statement he never once said Nintendo required it. Nintendo simply funded it and they chose to release it exclusively on Wii U, to show their appreciation.

Which means that when sales fail to meet expectations and it will, they are free to release it on other platforms.

Platinum mad, son?

07:34 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Bayo 2 on other consoles will never happen, Nintendo funded the project so it will be WiiU exclusive forever, but Bayonetta 3 in the other side...

09:41 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked a lot link between worlds, but found it at lower levels compared to previous ones and unworthy of title of year. bravely default should have won

07:05 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The new Zelda is too easy.

05:41 20/12/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Fuck you guys, this looks awesome.

20:45 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, I know Sankaku is known for its clickbaity headlines but this takes the cake for a sad attempt at drawing internet attention, lol. I really don't see what's supposed to be so awful here.

00:16 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You guys do realize this is being made by the Dynasty Warriors developers, and looks to be little more than a Dynasty Warriors game with the characters swapped for Zelda ones, right? Just look at the kind of reviews the dynasty Warriors series gets...

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dynasty+warriors/results [http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dynasty warriors/results]

They haven't managed over a 70 Metascore in the last 10 years, with many installments dipping into the 50s, yet they keep pumping out generic sequels year after year anyway. This looks to be on par with putting Mario and Sonic in sub-par Olympic games.

Nintendo's apparently trying to expand the Wii U library due to the console's low sales and resulting poor third-party support, but I don't think putting their top series characters in substandard games is a very good way to go about that.

Comment by Daniel Park
    14:32 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I love the Dynasty Warriors games, this is just icing on an already Diabetes inducing cake.

09:12 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to agree with the originator... this looks like it could be, if done correctly, a very good game.

I always wondered why if Ganon had access to near unlimited power, why he only sent a few minions against Link at a time.

Overwhelm him with sheer numbers, buddy! Chosen Champion or not, even one of those can go down under superior numbers.

09:53 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The "lawnmower game" description made me lol.

13:28 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, that is the best I have ever seen for these

11:53 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Link is a kid in a green tunic, not a hardened warrior. He solves puzzles, goes on adventures, and is skilled enough to take on a couple dudes that get in his way, like Indiana Jones, but he would be fucked in an actual battle.

18:30 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If a kid can defeat someone who is strong enough to singlehandedly take over a country, he's not strong enough to survive "an actual battle"?

17:09 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, Link is no highly trained warrior. But I've always seen him as a prodigy that if given enough time and training he could be unstoppable. That's why even though he is just some kid or young adult who has never been through any kind of training(depending on the game) he can still pick up a sword and shield and survive where normal people would just die. Also since throughout his adventure he gets stronger, I just see it as his natural talents being honed through experience at a pace not capable to someone who isn't some chosen prodigy hero.
    Also with all the stuff he carries he is sorta like Batman where he always has something to get him out of trouble like a faerie or an item to get him to the next area of a dungeon.

22:51 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

He's also usually armed to the nines with magical weapons. Those gotta amount to some advantages in combat.

Link is many different people across many generations. It would be a stretch to say one them could be an ultimate warrior.

Comment by Dan Hibiki
    07:43 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I know I'm gonna play it ^.^

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    14:31 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well.. it's good to see Link return to his origins. He was always LEFT handed till wii fucked him over~ Won't buy it since I get tired quickly on these types of games of slash bash crash rinse/repeat formulas....

17:34 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Just FYI, according to nintendo lore its a different Link each game, like different generations, and on each one a kid named link is born destined to be a hero. I think in twilight princess the spirit of one of the old links was the one that trained you though they never say it in the game explicitly.

07:05 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

THIS. I'ts about time we got a Zelda game that REALLY kicks ass.

10:45 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

cant wait, this looks awesome.

Fuck you, this is beyond lazy!!

09:24 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well make a Zelda game yourself then.

Fuck you, go back to you fucking "innovative" FPS games

13:22 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, I am RPG and strategy kind of person.

10:10 20/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah go back to your "innovating" pokemon and mario party/kart race

Bet you'd rather play yet another indie platformer/minecraft ripoff/terraria ripoff/puzzle game/jRPG ripoff instead.
    Man, them 2D graphics and gameplay we've all seen in late 80's and early 90's sure are innovative! GO INDIE