Free “Keeps Getting Better!”

free-4-omake-1

Even with an almost all-male cast and a storyline obsessed with their quasi-homosexual camaraderie and hot trunks, KyoAni’s powers are such that Free! continues to enjoy popularity even in non-fujoshi circles, the 4th outing certainly being no exception…

free-4-1

free-4-omake-11

free-4-omake-12

free-4-omake-13

free-4-omake-14

free-4-omake-15

free-4-omake-16

13:19 25/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

I don't mind Free! when they're not shoving fanservice down my throat. But there's too little substance for me to really care so far, so it's just another "meh, I guess I can stomach this" weekly watch, not something to be proud of. It's just too niche to really leave an impact so far, because it's still swimming in the safe shallow end and shows no real signs of wanting to go deeper (read that however you want to).

Comment by Rokudaime
    04:52 26/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

It's not that bad. Also, it's funny. And the female main character is cute ( <3 ), so it's all good.

12:22 26/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Gou is cute. The teacher doesn't do much for me though. She could have a better design.

01:43 10/08/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

you would probably want the teacher to have big boobs and a huge ass while wearing a bikini that's too small for her right...?

11:06 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

People of SanCom! you need to Free! your mind from this show.

11:43 25/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.5)

and the redhead needs to Free! herself from her clothes

23:58 28/07/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I definitely see that one coming around the end! *crosses fingers*

You know, somehow she's very sexy even like this! :P

WOAH WTF. Sorry bro but this shit is just too gay. I haven't bothered to even watch the first episode but judging from all the screeshots im seeing online Im glad I didn't start.

17:42 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Anime for women is gay because it has male fanservice? I'm confused, is this supposed to be some kind of poorly conceived trolling?

17:59 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

i guess you are NOT alone WITH the confusion.

18:44 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

So anime with female fanservice look gay to women?

19:10 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

my confusion is because of "fan service"

11:05 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Of course everyone screaming and running from the show hasn't actually tried watching it... it's actually quite good and very funny. Full of the usual KyoAni charm.

gayfer for gayfer, this is the gayest show of the season.

Comment by Naoe
    13:14 25/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Nope, it's Genshiken and Makai Ouji. Calling Free gay is an insult to them.

17:26 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Id rather watch Genshiken than this.

Comment by Joe Sullivan
    13:15 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

I find it easier to relate to. I've never really had girls in my primary friendship groups, so the slice-of-life anime where it's something like 1 guy and 4 girls don't seem to work as well for me. Also, the main characters are clearly athletic and people don't swim in suits of armour. Anyone saying this is a "gay anime" needs to get over themselves.

13:19 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

This stage is called denial. You need to embrace your inner faggie and come out of the closet. :)

01:01 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Um.. welcome to anime, where the boys act like girls and the girls act like boys. I would have figured you got that already, but guess not.

Comment by Shimazaki
    05:02 27/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah Fuck Logic!

@EndlessGr8 then you never had a flamboyant friend. I had a couples, they aren't gay at all. They just act the way they are because it's fun.

You don't have to always be manly to be considered a man. Look at the actors in real life. They all have their funny side

Comment by EndlessGr8
    13:32 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Really? My friend group has never really had any girls and yet I relate much better to the female casts. I think it's all in the way studios handle portraying each gender. In anime, females are strong-willed and yet they maintain their sensitivity for the most part. However, when they try to animate men with a sensitive side, they can't seem to do it without making them look horribly flamboyant. It's an unbelievable personality.

Flamboyant? They turned those guys into girls under the guise of guys! You tell me they don't behave like girls!

@Anon 15:07 Terry Crews wears a bikini in the expendables premier.

Comment by Circus
    09:48 25/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Look on the bright side, male readers. At least Matsuoka Gou (red-haired chick) is kinda cute?

Comment by yuriphoria
    10:15 25/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

She's the light in the darkness, the oasis in the desert, the flower in the swamp, she's like a girl in a male swimmers club!

But yea this show's fun, but then again I've always kinda enjoyed campy comedy, I dunno if that sounds homophobic.

03:53 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

It doesn't. The homophobic comments tend to be easier to spot. Saying you watch the show for the girl and the comedic value isn't homophobic at all.

(also I'm under the impression all sports anime should be viewed as a comedy, because it's so laughably over the top to start with, so, no argument here)

she the only one i want to put my penis in, thats why she debes

Comment by warjoke
    15:38 27/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

We still haven't seen her in a swimsuit yet, so there is still something to look forward too.

Oh, and Ama-chan as well.

I still think all the guys in that anime are comedy gold.

10:36 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a really funny anime. People need to loosen up.

10:07 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

this show is hilarious and seems to love being ridiculous. rainbow swimsuit shopping fun time!

and gay, dont forget gay

03:55 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, so they've kissed? Because I'm pretty sure showing romantic affection to one another would be a pretty good indicator, and without it, it's just baseless conjecture.

That, or projection. It's hard to tell with some of you people.

10:01 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Gou-chan is a good girl.

00:34 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Honestly it's not a anime meant for any sexual orientation. It's not for homosexual. It's a woman fan service anime. Most anime this day and age have fan service for men. Having one for woman isn't too far fetched.

That being said I watch it here and there. The characters don't even have homosexual tendencies. In fact it's just high school guys who swim in a club. I don't see the issue with them emphasizing the muscles and what not of a guy. Hell they always emphasize the breast and ass of women in anime.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy me a good ecchi and harem too but that don't mean you cant watch Free! for things other than the fan service. Has a decent plot with subtle comedic elements which i chuckle at.

Free! is a good anime. I stand by that.

15:02 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I watch it for Gou, still watches it for Gou

Comment by Fyrex
    01:22 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

Keep telling yourself that, we all know you're just lying to yourself. :P

Comment by Benoist
    09:37 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Scariest swimwear episode ever. need kuroyukihime eyebleach for DAT one

09:51 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You freakin need a lobotomy to get those images out of your mind T.T (thank you sankaku)
    The only person I would go gay for, is Kyousuke from Little Busters not these quasi-homo wannabies :P

10:57 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

B-B-BUT MUH COMFORT ZONE.

13:33 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

When LITERALLY every other picture is an ab, a back muscle, or the crack of one of their asses, I think it's safe to assume that this series is either gay or ONLY meant for women. Seriously though, is there A SINGLE THING about this show that could possibly appeal to a male viewer.

01:50 26/07/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Everyone is waiting for her swimsuit.

Even in Japan they wait in suffering.

00:32 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Confirmed skinnyfag.

Heterosexual men who work towards building up their muscles have no visceral reaction to seeing other men with muscles. If that's the only reason you have for hating Free!, you are a very ignorant person.

Ever read or watch Hajime no Ippo, by the way? I don't recall that being a series solely for gay men and straight women.

08:51 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

sports

its not THAT much, i know, but competitive sport/sport in any way, is reason enough for me as a "man" to watch a show.

comedy

i assume you should be familliar with it

12:15 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've been swimming thanks to this. Finally get to use my swimming pool

05:24 28/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This show is primarily for female viewers, but anyone who like beefcake with side-order of cheesecake can enjoy this too.

Liking mildly manly shows like these does not make any male gay nor does female liking girly shows make female lesbian.

Fist of the north star for example is even more manly and also slightly more homoerotic and saying only gay people or females like it makes no sense.

14:19 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

the "TITLE"! because it is so "fashion" to be ota cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

09:54 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

That Butterfly outfit reminds me of the guy from Buso Renkin. Now there was a cool effeminate male.

Comment by Rya
    18:08 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

MAKKA NA CHIKAI!

Sorry. Reflex.

23:12 25/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Let me remind you of the name: Pampilon Mask.

Buso renkin was awesome....this is just gay on the other hand