You are proceeding to a page containing mature content. Is this OK?

check Yes, show me everything
close No, hide anything sensitive

Aku no Hana “So Bad They Cancelled The Release”

aku-no-hana-1-15

Total production controversy anime Aku no Hana’s evil continues even after its mercifully unwatched ending, with the disc’s release cancelled two days before release for reasons detractors suspect have everything to do with abysmally low double digit sales rather than the official explanation of unspecified “defects.”

The anime’s official site was updated 2 days before the first volume was due to be released with the news that the release would be “postponed until an undecided date” due to “defects with some of the products.”

Generously assuming there were actually any surviving pre-orders (NicoNico recorded only 50, not accounting for those later withdrawn), they will have to wait until a release date is re-announced, a fairly unusual demand which seems likely to squeeze out any remaining pre-orders.

Whether low sales were caused by or the cause of the exceptionally meagre extras offered – those who buy all 6 volumes garner only the chance to win one of 30 signed posters and 9 alarm clocks – only the prospect of the entire series having been secretly reanimated in the original manga’s ero-moe style or else Mariya Ise offering to spend the night with every buyer seem to have been able to save it, and both look equally fantastic prospects.

aku-no-hana-comparison-1

The looming prospect of three-figure sales (and many even doubt it will go this high) has long since prompted speculation about what would become of the disc release.

With the decision to cancel the release only 2 days before it was due to go on sale and with some stores reportedly already having received inventory, opinions are divided as to whether they somehow managed the unlikely feat of botching the disc’s tiny run and only realising after they were shipped, or else the cancellation amounts to a face-saving or loss-cutting exercise to cover up disastrous double-digit sales.

At least one “lucky” fan seems to have received his copy in spite of the supposedly non-existent release, adding to the mystery:

aku-no-hana-volume-1

• Anonymous says:

The most important thing here is to ensure that the director and studio staff are blacklisted and never given the opportunity to ruin a title again.

You saw what shit the director and writer of Gundam Seed produced, and they’ve never been let near a popular title since.

• Anonymous says:

Basically, you can’t recommend this just for its story since if the animation is crap, why recommend the anime? If you happen to find a poor, unknowing sap, he’ll be asking what you also asked when you saw ep.1 – “dafuq is this shit?” so you may as well pirate the thing just for gags.

• Anonymous says:

Actually, there are quite a few great anime that look pretty awful these days. If there’s enough to offset the animation’s badness, then it’s still a great anime. It’s not like most of the “nice looking” anime of today won’t look like shit in 5 or 10 years, but the one that stand the test of time are smart about their visuals AND have a worthwhile story. Aku no Hana wasn’t. The rotoscoping wasn’t the only thing that was bad about it. The acting was sub-par, the storyboarding was sometimes very clumsy, the pacing was attrocious and so forth.

• Anonymous says:

I liked the animation. It was the story that made me drop the show after three episodes. Got about the same distance into the poorly-drawn manga.

But to sell this, it had to look like something fans of the manga would like. I may not like the fans’ taste, but they are the ones who would have bought it, if it were more similar to the original. Unfortunately, it was better than the original, so no sale.

• If they would have used more normal-styled art, maybe more liek the manga or even more well mainstream insted of this crap they did use, I bet the series would have been alot better. I didn’t even watch the anime because I thought the art was so horrible.

• Anonymous says:

My many posts on several Anime forums got major hate because I was ALWAYS a critic of the rotoscoping. Well mother fuckers, there you have it, even the production companies agree. INSANELY BAD IDEA! So fuck you for Rotoscoping an otherwise sure-shot top 5 anime. You failed!

• Anonymous says:

“just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”

Rotoscoping was a mistake in the first place, i predict a remake in a more traditionnal way, with a chara design close to the original manga.

• Anonymous says:

Rotoscoping wasn’t the mistake. It was making it look like shit. It’s not like rotoscoping isn’t used by anime. Sometimes it looks great, but in the wrong hands it’s godawful. Just like CG, or any animation technique.

• One of the main reasons I watch anime is for the art style. While this is still better then any American cartoon, this is so far from my ideal of anime, it would make me cringe if a first time anime watcher got stuck with this show’s style.

• Anonymous says:

Just your saying that this is “better then any American cartoon” shows that your judgement is severely impaired by your bias. This also had problems that went well beyond the animation.

• I’m pretty sure that bias =/= personal preference and open opinion. If someone feels something is “better” than something else, that is their opinion and their preference. I can totally understand not liking American cartoons, my personal preference and opinion lies in they haven’t been good since the 90’s. I wouldn’t call it a bias considering I’ve actually given it a chance, it doesn’t automatically become a bias just because someone doesn’t have a particular “postive” view toward something. It can only be a bias if it is ignorant and backed by nothing, and from the person’s comment I can’t really tell if they are bias or they just have a different opinion than yours.
        This does not invalidate any of their statements at all. Before you go “chill bruh it was just a comment.” I’ve seen the argument before so I figured it was worth commenting on.

• this was bad idea from the start, hope this takes the blindfold of their eyes. i can’t believe they never saw how crappy their product was. what a waste of time and money this production was. or maybe they put a bunch of
    schoolboys to do it fro free, offering them experience and exposure as payment for their work.

• To the people shouting “moetards” to anyone who has a problem with the art style of the anime…. I don’t understand where you are getting this logicless rage from. I loved the manga, I hated the anime; I hated the anime not just because of the rotoscoping, or the character designs; but because it was so drastically different from what I was hoping for. Sure, it’s dark and gritty; but it isn’t anything like an anime, we needed another dark, gritty yet good looking anime to fill the gap. What we got was essentially a cel-shaded TV drama, which isn’t what I am into.
    I can see where people can like this, I can understand that completely; but calling the people who don’t “moetards” makes no sense. Look at the manga character designs, those aren’t “moe”, they look good; but they are far from trying to be cute. The character designs on the anime aren’t even character designs, they are cel-shaded renditions of actual people. This is not a standard-type anime which is off-putting for some people. Understand that and stop bitching that a ton of people were let down by it. I can’t wait til’ I never have to hear about this mistake of an anime again; that is my stance on it.

• Anonymous says:

This. I had no problem with the cheap rotoscoping (hell, most anime look horribly cheap anyway) but it was the tortured pacing, awful acting, and general aimlessness of the storyboard that ruined it for me.

• Anonymous says:

Aku no Hana was just not the manga to ‘try something different’ with. The manga has enough controversial material on it’s own that sales may have been low without the decision to rotoscope it. Oh well, just another title where the manga is a million times better than the anime.

• Anonymous says:

Why not? I’d say a controversial manga is precisely the right time to try something interesting. Why mess with your bread and butter for mainstream audiences? They wouldn’t appreciate it anyway. It could work well here, but it was their decision to not give a shit that really ruined it, not their selected techniques.

• Anonymous says:

Why not? Well, ostensibly the reason to use rotoscoping was to add a thicker layer of realism to the work. I believe that is what the interview with Oshimi said. But the manga already had a more ‘real’ look to it’s art, closer to Inio Asano than other more mainstream shounen manga.

What the rotoscoping did instead of adding a layer of realism was to pull the anime away from the original work in a hugely distracting and ultimately debilitating manner. Instead of the somewhat controversial, deeply intriguing and unusual story being the focus, the artistic style(or lack there of) became the focal point.

In a nutshell, the reason NOT to try ‘something different’ with Aku no Hana is that it already is ‘something different’. In appearance it may seem tautological in nature, but it is really closer to the same argument one would make regarding any change in any adaptation. Why change what was inspiring enough to want to share further, beyond its nominal original creative form.

• Anonymous says:

What about offering it “on-demand” kind of thing? Like you can order it during the whole month and on the 30th they manufacture that specific number of crap for people who want it. Can they can do it twice a month if the wait is too long. There’s no reason to manufacture thousand of copies of this filth if they know nobody will buy it.

• Watching Aku no Hana (I stopped after the first seven episodes. I wanted to see if it improved. It didn’t.) was like going through puberty again: All of the awkwardness but with none of the acne.

If it gets a season 2, I’m banning Baudelaire from my personal library.

• Anonymous says:

Usually is not a good idea to rotoscope all frames it looks creepy (uncanny valley?) much less trace real human features on top (even MORE creepy, and ugly humans to boot, ugh!) now if you take actors to do the escenes rotoscope 1/24 of the frames do the rest by hand and use atractive art style on the designs the results can be quite good (Disney did it a lot on theyr 2d era)

• Anonymous says:

The point might have been to make it creepy. And rotoscoping can make things much creepier, since it’s different and looks “off”. But they went overboard on making it look cheap, so it ended up looking stupid, not creepy.

“Defects of a defect”^^

But seriously, MAYBE there really were defects with some products? We’ll never know the truth.
    Although I don’t care about all of this, I’d still like to know IF the BD version has any changes, redraws/rerotoscoping, changes to the framerate, or other differences. Should there be no changes at all, I will force myself through the TV release to get it over with…

• They really messed up the quality when it came to rotoscoping. Occasionally, you got some really nice detailed scenes, but those only lasted for 30 seconds at a time; the rest were filled with un-detailed characters who were just unpleasant to look at.(and you couldn’t even make out their faces from a distance)

It’s a shame, because despite the show’s pacing problems, it had a very unique and realistic story, and a dark tone that set it apart from others like it. It was also well-acted; even the most annoying side-characters still seemed like people you would actually meet in real life(unlike most anime characters); the fat-guy especially was played well, and reminded me of people i actually knew back in public school.(he was ANNOYING AS HELL, but people are annoying in like that in real life)

Traditional 2D animation wouldn’t have done the story justice either, because having a bunch of kawaii and moe designs would take away from the dark and realistic tone of the plot. I think this would have been better as a live-action drama(they already had the actors, For fucks sake); the rotoscoping took way too much away from the viewing experience, because it looked like it was completely half-assed.

• Anonymous says:

The idea of rotoscoping wasn’t bad, just poorly executed. Also I a, curious to know if there were any acTual defects on that one DVD That person happened to get, but chances are others probably also got their own copy too so….

• I’ve said this several times in different forums that Aku no Hana should have used the manga art style instead of rotoscoping because fans of the manga will be pissed. But ohhh no the hipsters claim that I was trolling and my arguments have no basis. I don’t even care about this anime because the story is already crap but what really irritates me the most are the hipsters that will like something just because it’s different.

No who doesn’t have an Aku no Hana BD now?

• I like the idea of rotoscoping.

I believe if done correctly, some truly magnificent anime could be produced. With enough time spent on production and with a cast of actors that actually know how to act a great new genre of Anime could be unleashed.

This, however, was not the series to break the mould and usher in a new style of animation. This was visual rape of the eyes of every viewer that attempted to watch this travesty of a show.
    Forget the rotoscoping, the actors in the show were wooden and emotionless. With such low quality acting to base the animation off it’s no wonder the show was a complete disaster.

• Anonymous says:

I read *some* of the manga, didn’t watch the anime.

Didn’t stand out as a particularly good story. Just two psychotic women dragging a confused kid down into the abyss with them.

• Anonymous says:

Welp, there go any chances of ever seeing anything visually different in anime anymore, ever. Identical looking moeshit clone series for everyone until the end of time, yay!

For all future manga adaptations they should make like the Pisu Hame “anime” and just fucking trace panels of the manga and photoshop them to slightly move. Then otaku will be happy I’m sure.

• Anonymous says:

I can tell you that it is illegal in Denmark to have lotteries/competions where only buyers of said product can participate.

Say if Carlsberg beer is having a competition where the winner gets a container full of beer. You have to be able to enter the competion without having to buy Carlsberg beer or any other Carlsberg product.

Also the reason why World of Warcraft’s Scroll of Resurrection (SoR) is not available in Denmark because the SoR is linked to a competition and you have to have bought WoW in order to enter it.

• Anonymous says:

They’re based on the Amazon Rankings. The bluray is #16,900 on Amazon for BD/DVDs, and the DVD is #52,535.

I know it’s hard for brainless moehaters such as yourself to understand this, but the anime is a flop, and is going to sell very poorly. Deal with it.

• Anonymous says:

Do you really think that an anime ranking on Amazon in the TENS OF THOUSANDS is going to sell well? To put things into perspective, Kill Me Baby sold ~1k BD/DVD per volume, and it was ranked in the 2000-3000s. Aku no Hana would be lucky to hit those numbers.

And of course they want disk sales. You think it’s free to make anime, advertize, getting a tv slot, etc. It costs money, and they obviously want to at least break even, either by disk sales or other merchandise sales, like CDs, or increased manga sales due to the anime.

• Anonymous says:

Its moetards like you that do not understand. Affirm it when you ahve the fucking actual numbers, otherwise fucking predictions.

Second who the fuck says they wanted fucking disc sales? If they aimed at them they would have gone with the shitty moecrap visuals and sell say 1000 if you wish no?

Its pretty clear aku no hana sales are basically irrelevant.

• Anonymous says:

So they finally understood that this was the worst series ever NOT seen. Seriously, you didn’t have to watch it to know how bad it was. I don’t think you’ll ever hear that again any time soon.

• Sarissofoi says:

Actually I like it. The style fit the story and the story have great atmosphere.
      Not even notice so called ugly graphic.
      It was OK for me. Even more.
      On the other hand can’t really watch the modern anime anymore so no season 2 for this show is big bummer.

• Anonymous says:

I understand why many fans of the manga are upset but I liked it as well.
        I found this style of rotoscoping to be interesting and visually pleasing. It is different and different can be good. I had no issue with the so called “ugly” characters. The style matches the story better than any moe adaptation could… IMO

Some people just need a cause so they jump on the Hater Bandwagon.

• Anonymous says:

i am very confident that mister “THEN GO WATCH SOME HENTAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!” knows how to solve that problem anyway…. so why should i BOTHER?
          about your problems?

because i am sure as hell wont do anything anymore which could reveal any sort of opening. or making a mistake by writing watch instead of see.

and he surely does not like the same STAR OCEAN i LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

• Anonymous says:

The problem is that there’s a difference between “Oh my god that looks hideous I want to puke, someone must have a scat fetish drawing this” ugly and “this looks like a 5-year-old traced over real-life images” ugly.

This anime looked like the latter.

• Anonymous says:

Ugly has to look beautiful for some people to appreciate it. Not sure why. I guess they’re just too spoiled by modern animation production techniques to notice how ugly anime are beyond those respects.

• Anonymous says:

The rotoscoping wasn’t the issue, I think it was just the pacing. Only one notable thing happened in the show and that was the classroom vandal scene. Other than that, it as pretty uneventful and just dragged. You can’t take a season slow then promise an excellent second season, the first impression has to be good to keep viewers and, frankly, the first season failed in pacing. The rotoscope, I agree, was very fitting for the story so it’s unfortunate.

• Yeah, it that design fitted the story so well. These connections to the characters were so much more real than it could’ve been with that moeshit.

I understand why fans of the manga would be pissed, but it’s still good. It is not just an animated version of the manga. I’ts another version of that story and i liked it very much untill now.

No anime could show these expressions in movement and face.

I’m glad it wasn’t a childish school moe anime again. I’ts boring like hell to look at it because they’re mostly the same to look at.

• Anonymous says:

I think “defects” refers to the people who still insist that rotoscoping is something unique and original, and that Japanese people’s faces consist of a single flat shade of color in reality.

• Anonymous says:

The most amusing part is that it’s true. All of these rotoscoped people are based on the actual voice actors.

When making this they forgot one important detail: anime was made to get away from ugly people, not embrace them.

• Anonymous says:

Forgot something… just look at the original actors of Aku no Hana. They are not ugly and look a lot better than the rotoscoped adaption. Real people have details in their faces!

• Anonymous says:

As I already said in earlier news posts… the problem is not that it’s “realistic looking” or based on real people… the problem is the lack of details on faces and clothing.
          Also, Japanese/Asian people are not ugly looking (at least not the majority)… look at reality or if not possible, videos on a certain video upload site… just search for “Japan school” and look at real Japanese faces.
          The ugly truth: they are not ugly, they don’t always behave like shitheads, yes they don’t understand/speak English lol

Then again, it’s quite possible that people who dislike Asians or are of a different ethnicity perceive Asian people as “ugly”. The same way as it’s said that whites cannot distinguish between blacks, and vice versa. Oh, and I’m not an Asian, so don’t even try to flame my “ethnic pride” lol

• Anonymous says:

07:00 Too bad we set the standards for what’s what. “It’s irrelevant what these self-respecting Indians or Pakistani residents in US call themselves” What the fuck you bitching about? You want to just forget what a vast portion of the subject at hand does and try to talk about objectivity?

Some serious LOL here dumb fucking kid.

@06:47

Also 05:50 no self-respecting Indian or Pakistani will call themselves ‘asian’ here in US.”

It’s irrelevant what these self-respecting Indian or Pakistani US residents call themselves. Elsewhere, including EU/Pakistan/India, these people are Asian. But it’s still irrelevant. What’s relevant to note is that the world isn’t just white dudes and yellow dudes, but a whole lot of other brown and black dudes too. And these different folks aren’t all sweet to each other, ne? So a dude calling some East Asian dude a name, need not be a white dude, but could just as well be Indian or Pakistani or heck even black.

• Anonymous says:

LOL yellow shits running away like a bitch to other countries because their parents were too pussy to tough it out, attaching yourselves like parasites to other nations when no one wants em/

Also 05:50 no self-respecting Indian or Pakistani will call themselves ‘asian’ here in US. When you refer to ‘asians’ here, it mainly denotes east asians (sometimes south east asians from phillipines and vietnam too but even they just like to call themselves by their nation’s name, rather than just ‘asian’ because they look down on them).

• Anonymous says:

16:13 Obviously you can’t even read between the lines or understand what others say without trying to squeeze it through that narrow prism of viewpoint that restricts your understanding of the world.

Third Reich is not an example to emulate – I have implied this over and over again. Yet somehow you seem to talk as if I support their ‘goals’ as you understand them, which is not quite as narrow as you like to think. Also, don’t throw around ‘petty’ or other buzz words without explaining exact why it is so – your feelings alone are not enough to justify your rantings if you can’t describe them or rationally back them up with facts instead of just petulant denial.

I noticed you overarchingly described this view from your own twisted version in a very vague way, without specifically addressing my details and opinions, only resorting to semantics and sophistry to try and portray what I say according to how you perceive them. Care to challenge the specifics of my argument in the way they are described? Or are your ‘insights’ too narrow to understand them? Maybe I should spell it out for you a bit more.

12:11

The Third Reich and your idea of a Western power-based hegemony don’t fit on top of one another and are very different in their inclusion of peoples as ‘their own’, hence what you label as “short-sighted alienation of potential allies” by the Third Reich only demonstrates your inability to comprehend distinction of goal, i.e. only able to think of the actions of others in correlation to your own ideals.
          The Third Reich never was about ‘the West’ and no matter how foolishly you think the Holocaust was a similar quest for dominance that fits your ideologies, it was sadly much narrower in scope. That being said, what is reflected in your opinions is little more than a magnification of their petty ideals as well, and the only critique that separates is your definition of ‘enemies’, i.e. what constitutes the ‘non-west’, in your slippery addition of ‘temporary allies’.

Understood. I will go into more detail about this topic.

Ideal unifying cultural force includes a sense of belonging, loyalty and passion that engenders a feeling of deep connection to those who share a common cultural and ethnic (can be broad – one of the very pathetic mistake made by the third reich is a very narrow and shallow definition of what is ‘us’, hence alienating potential allies. They underestimate the power of absorbing and assmiliating under a common banner those who are more alike to each other than their common enemies) characters.

This basic idea stimulates a deep feeling of loyalty and connection to each other, which is a powerful force that engenders pride and identity in an individual. This is empowered further by commonly shared view of success and pride as a group – your success, to a point, is also reflected favorably upon the group as a whole.

What is critically flawed about this system is that it easily gives way to self-destructive and idiotic impulses of an individual as long as he stands at the top – however, modern western civilization has a uniquely deceptive advantage in regards to this in the form of self-disciplining and self-reflective strength that was forged by thousands of years of continuous warfare and some influence of christianity that emphasizes continued advancement of an individual in the form of honest and true reflection of self-doubt and faults. Many other cultures seem to believe they are also capable of this, but their end results and hypocrisies show how such ‘philosophies’ are nothing but shallow and pretentious attempt to appear so and more importantly convince themselves that they are not what they fear. This self-deception is a critical flaw, and we have a solution that is unique to our civilization and culture as a whole forged in the fires of revolutions and warfare for over 3000 years or more.

• Anonymous says:

In addition, we need to understand that while we are given the OPPORTUNITY to pursue rights and privileges, we are not entitled to anything other than what we achieve through power and effort. Respect and dignity are two-way streets, and are earned, not given. They are also not inalienable – they can be deprived from an individual by the virtue, or lack thereof, of their own actions.

• Anonymous says:

However, the failure of third reich through its short-sighted and narrow view of the world made the west question everything that constituted its expression of strength – capabilities of aggression, powerful and imposing use of strength, self-preserving idea of struggle and war, as well as continued effort in self-improvement and advancement in psychological and spiritual terms. This is the greatest fault of the third reich – they had achieved the exact opposite of their goal through relatively ignorant and bumbling way of executing their objectives.

Right now, west is undergoing a trial and conflict in confidence – it is but a phase, but a critical one. Too many mouthy fools try to ‘take on the man’ or ‘be a revolutionary’ and essentially do more harm than good to the group they belong to. The hippie movement is a good example – they did a fine job of denigrating and marginalizing traditional line of thought, but had nothing better to replace it with. Hence, instead of kumbayaa utopia they dreamed about, they wind up with people who are unsure of everything and distrustful of anything not in their own head. This leads to insecurities and uncertainties, which is nothing but a temporary malaise until a stronger unifying force is born within our group to unite us once again.

At the same time, this is but a phase. Western culture and empowerment is far more resilient than just a phase.

13:11

Understood. I will go into more detail about this topic.

• Anonymous says:

11:50 Can you go into a detailed description on your views of the ideal unifying cultural force, and what specific elements today do you believe are self-abasing and undeserving of rights?

• Anonymous says:

11:34 Destruction of unnecessary national, ‘cultural’, and ethnic elements in global scene. Unification under sole cultural force that gives meaning to unity and identity. Exposure of hypocrisy and duplicitous nature of various cultures. Destruction of elements that are self-abasing and undeserving of rights which must be earned by self-discipline and effort. Advancement and preservation of rights and privileges to those who earned them. It may have taken the better part of the century, but eurasian continent as well as africa would be on the right track to advance in the right direction.

• Anonymous says:

Due to extensive enmities between USSR and short-sighted idiocy of labeling slavs and russians as enemies, the plan was derailed and alienated what should have been brothers in arms in the larger picture. The effort should have been directed towards africa, middle east, and beyond. Efforts should have been made to properly gather together inclusive peoples from lisbon to vladivostock.

Concept was too shortsighted and euro-centric. It was too small-scale and small time.

• Anonymous says:

Anyone would an open mind would find this show to be one of the most intoxicating, well written, and fascinating shows released in the last decade.

Yes, it’s rotoscoped. Yes, it isn’t moe kawaii. You may not like it, you may even find it ugly, but it’s unique. I had my doubts, but I’m glad I watched.

People are scared and threatened by the new and unfamiliar. So, go cry for your security blanket that everything isn’t the same, while others who are intelligent, will appreciate one of the most unique and well made shows ever to come out in Japan that dares be audacious in a sea of homogenized shit.

• Anonymous says:

For those complaining that rotoscoping was “a new thing that shouldn’t have been done”, many anime use rotoscoping. Heck, even Free! is using it so you moe fangirls shouldn’t bother complaining. The issue was just poor budget which caused the rotoscoping to look half assed. Maybe if they had waited and got the funds or even just stuck to a live action then it would have worked.
    If it is remade to me moe, it’ll ruin the overall feel of the story and characters. Even the original artist said that the animation art looks far more like the characters her imagined than his style.

• Now that’s really sad for me – in fact, I love the animation style. It’s really upsetting that a good story, amazing soundtrack and interesting characters were ignored by masses because “the art sucks”. Come on, people, not everything should be about moe and fanservice. When you tell a violent and dark story which involves disturbing erotica it should never, ever be traditionally sexy, that just ruins the mood. Seeng the characters as real, non-model like people just makes them more clear to you. Oh, and I’m not really a fan of “cute” and “pretty”, I prefer “creepy” and “disgusting”, and as realistic as possible. I loved this anime, you can call me a hipster, but I loved it.
    I’m sure going to Hell for this post.

• Anonymous says:

the climate for any anime that remotely breaks the conventions of the industry is so bad in japan,south korea, and america that if a show like serial experiments lain or film like angel egg were to attempt to debut today it would’nt be able to make it because the anime industry bred a consumer base thats not only narrow minded in what it consider OK for anime but are generally negative, faux elitest,depressingly faggy, weaboos.

anyone who bases an anime or mangas worth off the art style alone are plebian,shallow,dullards with actual sense to know when something out of the ordanary in a good way comes around.

• Anonymous says:

Just seeing the same nonsense the art is bad. The direction, story, characters, sound direction, backgrounds, pacing, just saying that taking something down for looks it’s pathetic.

But well if boring stories like Pacific Rim can make hype is not surprising seeing the shallow desires of the masses.

• Anonymous says:

Yep, 100% right here, people make sad excuses for wanting productions that go beyond the hum drum. But here we are with exactly that and people critising for not following the hum drum.

It’s exactly why Anime will never return to the awesome days of old. It’s not the productions that’s wrong, it’s the audience that has changed.

• Anonymous says:

I’d be happy to support this in an original idea, or even if there is a manga using the same style of rotoscoping. However, to take something that many people buy not only for the story, but also for the artwork (come on now, I’m sure 95% of the people here have continued on with a story they though was sub-par because the artwork was above average) and then completely change it is not the best of ideas in an industry where everything else looks like it does on paper to a great extent. Half of the reason I enjoy the manga is for the artwork; once I saw that the “anime” had none of this and replaced it with what might as well have been real people (if you want to do live action, fine, do it, but don’t try to shoehorn it in…), I had no interest in it whatsoever. I can get the same nice story in the manga, with the artwork that was designed to go with it.

And yes, I’ve been told before that the mangaka approved the art. That’s fine. It’s not the same for me though, and is not the art that, to me, belongs with the story, so I don’t care if they “okayed” it. It’d be like re-doing Dragon Ball in this style, or My Little Pony, or anything like that…

• Anonymous says:

I think that’s a good middle point. I certainly will hate Zelda if it looked like Skyrim, even if the gameplay was excellent. However my point was that many people dismiss what this series did right and even better than the manga mainly it’s direction with it’s story. THe original manga is good but many scenes felt unintentionally funny and in the anime they are disturbing and thought provoking.

• Anonymous says:

I might be the only one who thought this, but
    I kind of actually liked what I was seeing with this series. Perhaps they could have spent a LITTLE MORE TIME working out more purposeful details and making the girls look “cuter” but hey… At LEAST the characters weren’t drawn to be all WHITE BITCHES!!! F’ing noobs and your anti-Asians from animators who are FREAKIN’ ASIAN! Why the HELL can’t ASIANS draw what they ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE instead of being ridiculed for DARING to try something that TYPICALLY isn’t done. Again, I don’t think rodoscoping was necessarily the best choice to introduce this concept, but they at least did something that wasn’t freakin’ Caucasian. I’m tired of seeing white people from a country where White people are not only minorities, but FOREIGNERS.
    (((By the way this is coming from a white person.))