Top 25 Anime With Superior Second Seasons

tomodachi-ga-sukunai-by-watarai-keiji

As new seasons of popular anime continue to come forth, fans have assembled a ranking of the anime which they believe have second seasons more entertaining than the first – with there evidently being some unresolved controversy as to just how many seasons the first place entry actually had…

The ranking:

14. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

15. AKB0048

16. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

17. Baka to Test

18. The World God Only Knows

19. Strike Witches

20. Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

21. Sora no Otoshimono

22. Zero no Tsukaima

23. Tegami Bachi

24. WORKING!!

25. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

• Anonymous says:

Reading this list I just realized that I almost always like the first season in favour of second seasons… I think the only exception which is notably missing on the list is Zettai Karen Children. Not that I didn’t like the first season, but the second one is kinda more to my age.

• Anonymous says:

1. Minamike: The second season is generally regarded as a large fail no? Maybe we are ignoring the actual second season and refering to the recently aired 4th? Even so, the original was better.

2. A Certain Magical Index: Really? Index 2? I found it to be a let down compared to the first one. I actually forget most of what happened in terms of plot yet can recall the majority of the original even though it has been longer.

3. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: They kind of complete each other so iunno.

4. CLANNAD: Same as CG

5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Endless eights crap is better than the original?!?…

6. A Certain Scientific Railgun: Theyre both good but not enough yuri haijinks in season 2 thus far so I prefer 1.

7. Ika Musume: Wasnt it more of the same? I didnt watch it.

8. Hidamari Sketch: I love them all.

10. Tomodachi ga Sukunai: I dropped the second cause the characters felt too forced somehow and the jokes were more of the same.

11. FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: Agree

12. Rosario + Vampire: Because of the crappy fanservice?

15. AKB0048: Theres been 2 seasons of this shit?

16. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni: The original had more mystery and shock to it. The second was just the explaination so iunno. It did have better production values because studio deen had grown a bit.

19. Strike Witches: I guess the bug episode was pretty sexy.

21. Sora no Otoshimono: The first 4 episodes of season 1 were the best part of the entire series.

22. Zero no Tsukaima: I forget. The series was meh overall and it has been too long.

24. WORKING!!: I think I prefered the first by a slight bit.

• Anonymous says:

WTF you said!?, the second season of Railgun has, so far, a better plot than the first season, there’s awesome character like Sisters (okay, I prefer her version in Index), Accelerator and Intem, different from a season 1 that we have ridiculous fillers, useless characters and stupid villians like Telestina.

• Anonymous says:

I’m relieved to see most of the comments disagreed with this list, and in unity. But it shows how much more dedicated tasteless perverts are than an intelligent audience, maybe that’s why producers think the general anime consumer is a moron. Though, I’m surprised anyone has the balls to say s2 of Kore wa zombie desu ka beats the former, go die.

Comment by Taylor
        03:30 23/06/2013
        “If sankaku is any reflection on the general anime consumer, then yes they are all morons”.
        ^
        yeah just like you you hypocrite bitch

…………………./´¯/)
        ………………..,/¯../
        ………………./…./
        …………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`·¸
        ………./’/…/…./……./¨¯\
        ……..(‘(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
        ………\……………..’…../
        ……….”…\………. _.·´
        …………\…………..(
        …………..\………….\…

• Why is Code Geass up there? Sure the ending was !$!#$ amazing but the second season was no where near as consistently good as the first. Also (I’m assuming the “second season” of Full Metal in this case is Brotherhood) Brotherhood isn’t a sequel it’s a remake…

• Superior second seasons *Sigh* Ok looking through the list I can agree with most things albeit objectively but The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is it really that much better than the first season? CLANNAD the second season was “superior” how exactly?
    But the thing that really got me was Tomodachi ga Sukunai… The entire second season was in my opinion just one HUGE filler episode full of retarded shit that you couldn’t give a damn about. At the end I felt like absolutely no progression happened and that you were back to square one. A waste of time. (Roll on the third season, Maybe something will actually happen in that one)

“Superior” Dont make me laugh!

• Anonymous says:

I agree entirely about Haganai. Its second season was pretty much in the same boat as Shana’s third season. It just kinda does stuff that you really don’t care about, and by the end of it, nothing is accomplished in terms of development and you’re essentially right back where you started at the end of the last season.

• Anonymous says:

Are you fucking kidding me? I can’t speak of the other anime but don’t you dare say CLANNAD had a better first season than second.

The first season was complete garbage, the stereotypical highschool harem slice-of-life bullshit that the industry is completely inundated with.

Clannad Second Season is known to be one of the most powerful and emotionally gripping anime seasons of all time.

I’ve seen both and I want to recommend the second season to anyone, even those that have never seen anime but I hesitate to do so because of how bad the first season is.

• Did I ever state that I felt that the first season of Clannad was “superior” to After Story? No! I just implied that After Story isn’t greatly superior to Clannad. They’re both good and I dont think that you can say one is better than the other.

My opinions are totally valid also thanks for judging and interpreting my comments from your oh so enlightened position from up on high Mr. Anonymous

• Anonymous says:

Zero no Tsukaima, lol wut?

I must admit, I haven’t read the original, but I thought the first Season was a nice fantasy anime. The second however started with all the fanservice and imo much less plot then the first. I didn’t even watch more then 1 Episode of the third. D:

• Anonymous says:

I have to wonder about some of these as well..

Baka & Test — S2 would’ve worked if its episodes were sandwiched between S1 to provide the requisite beach/hotsprings service and create a 26-episode series. Ending was decidedly lackluster compared to S1’s dramatic final confrontation.

Strike Witches — I liked S2 well enough, but it felt like a second draft of the same show, not a superior sequel. But it was IN HD!!!!, so maybe that made the difference?

Nanoha — A’s started the franchise’s “MOAR CHARACTERS!” syndrome, and didn’t have as much emotional content with the leads as S1 did.

Milky Holmes — imo the 2nd season was too much LOL SO RANDOM, even for a gag series.

Rosario + Vampire — speaking without any comparison to the manga, Capu2 is only better if you want more fanservice.

Some of the lower-ranked titles are questionable, too.

#27: Shakugan no Shana — I didn’t hate it, but it had more love triangles and less excitement than S1.

#29: Maria Holic — Really guys?

#39: Full Metal Panic! — hey, it is on the list! But if you liked the first season’s blend of school romance/comedy and mecha action, the sequels are too much “one or the other,” imo.

#40: Lucky Star — do they just mean the OVA?

#41: Mobile Suit Gundam — uh, which one?

• Anonymous says:

FMA is a reboot, not a second season. Code Geass? Kinda. I can’t chose one here. Haruhi… I enjoyed a second season more, since I watched it in the times, when I didn’t have an internet and friend brought me only two series of Endless Eight. Rosario? The entire anime was shit in comparision to manga, and second season was even shittier.

• Anonymous says:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya,seriously?!The whole world just fall(literally) about that stupid Endless event.FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST and FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST Brotherhood are totally different series.

• Before I opened this list I said to myself “If Minami-ke is on this list, I will flip my table over.”

Came here… (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The first season is clearly superior to the second. Not even the 3rd season was quite as witty. 4th season was a step in the right direction though.

• Anonymous says:

Also, I can’t believe I didn’t notice that Kore wa Zombie desu ka? was on this list. Seriously, fuck whoever said that the second season was better than S1. The second season was more like an OVA, essentially took away everything from the show, besides the typical “To Love-ru” esque “fall into panties and get exploded” ecchi harem stuff. I mean, that’s all well and good; but the first season achieved a balance of drama, ecchi and plot and was an absolutely excellent anime.
    To say the second season was better is to essentially justify the logic that ecchi anime is garbage. I can relate why people hate ecchi and moe anime for the first time.

• I actually ranted about KoreZombie’s second season in an earlier comment.

For the gist of it, I agree with what you said about the series falling into the usual harem trappings whereas the first season was far more straight-forward with its storyline. Though if I had to give one thing I liked about season two, it’d have to be the “villain”…. but unfortunately, another one of season two’s flaws is that none of its plot threads actually went anywhere, and that one was no exception.

• Yes, I liked the 1st season of KwZdk? much better than the 2nd. I didn’t know why but you explained it flawlessly here. And the story went bananas at the end of season 2, it was much simpler and coherent in the 1st season.

• Dirty_Dingus008 says:

Holy Fucking Fucktards! 3~5, 25 where balls!
      code gayass2 was a motherhumping RESET at the beginning that took close to 15 episodes to find itself slightly to pick up.. than conclude well laid ideas in the First season like brain Farts (Looking at manga negima w/ the CORE idea of searching for FATHER concluded in ONE FUCKING PAGE)… the ending was deep into stupid for such a massively smart man to piss up too
      chlamydia 2 was an epic show of incompetence in part for the dipshit Retard boy who KNEW his girlfriend had both feet in the grave already but still sped up her head first jump into the cooker by having a kid.. who died faster! drama for the short term moron viewer who saw “heartfelt meaning” in this abortion
      Let’s not forget the TWO MONTH+ “would you kindly shove this bloody AIDS infected shit covered rusted steel thorned rod up your collective asses” so that we can be artsy fartsy~ oh and here’s some Massively awesome episodes to finish it off that was truly making me melancholy for the FIRST SEASON
      morbius round robin to nowhere season was just as aborted by retell the first season with different characters and furthering the trip literally NoWhere

By the By: FMA was NOT a FUCKING SECOND SEASON but an actual making of the ORIGINAL MANGA in COMPLETION!!!!

• A gave you an up-vote in hopes of at least somewhat evening out all the negative votes you’ve received. Though your manner of saying it was fairly crude, I do agree with some of your points.

-Haven’t gotten into Negima! (anime nor manga), but what you said about Code Geass sounds right. Supposedly, the whole bit with Lelouche having his memory wiped and half of the series taking place in the schoolyard AGAIN weren’t planned at first, and only got shoehorned in there due to executive meddling. This leaves one to wonder how the showdown between Lelouche and Suzaku at the end of season 1 was supposed to go down had that not occurred (would Charles still have had a memory-affecting Geass?). Have to disagree with you on the ending, though. A lot of people keep deriding it, but it actually does seem to me like a pretty good idea on paper (aside from de-powering the Brittanian Empire that caused most the world’s problems in the first place, human beings really do fight over the most trivial things, but likewise, they could theoretically rejoice in the death of a common enemy, even if it’s a short-lived, superficial peace… at any rate, no one seems willing to deny that Lelouche took it like a boss, plus his plan worked perfectly, and he might have even survived in the end).

-While I do think Clannad’s drama seemed a tad forced, I don’t think it was overall bad…. in fact, I even give it some props for managing to extend focus on the high school romance several years AFTER graduation (even if they did pair the male protagonist up with quite possibly the most dull, uninteresting girl in the series, if not all of KEY’s history, in order to do it). But then the reset button came along, making the whole thing seem like a horrid waste of time.

-Endless Eight. That’s all it needed to be summed up with. The movie (though arguably not part of the second season) somewhat made up for it, but the damage had already been done: KyoAni went from being one of the most respectable animation companies out there, with an emphasis on very high-quality animation, to a moe comedy-obsessed marketing tool that constantly trolls its fans. What’s really sad is that Endless Eight actually could’ve worked as an amusing little experiment…. had they reduced the fucking thing to maybe three episodes at most. Instead, they take up two-thirds of the long-awaited season? Seriously?

-Haven’t seen Horizon, so no comment.

-Agreed on FMA. Though, it’s worth noting that the second series really rushed through the beginning portion, mostly because it’s re-doing a story that had already been animated with a few minor differences, which still makes the first series worth your time. Also, in my opinion, the second half of the first series wasn’t bad either, at least so far as gecko endings go. It may not have followed the manga, but at least it had a long time to build-up (with some foreshadowing even being done before it stopped adapting the manga). This is MUCH better than most series, which try to adapt the manga perfectly up until the last two episodes, which try to resolve all the early plot threads in a horribly rushed fashion.

• Anonymous says:

Gotta disagree. First season was a mess. It had a preposterous plot that the show’s creators didn’t know how to deliver. Second season was a good, funny comedy (and nothing like TLR, which was neither good, nor funny).

I’ve watched both seasons of 13 of these and I’d have to say that Zombie was the only one in which the sequel was clearly superior to the initial. Although Haganai 2 was a great show, the first season was really good too. Chihayafuru falls into the same category.

I don’t see it in here but the second season of Nurarihyon no Mago was much better than the dismal first season. Rurouni Kenshin had a very good first season but a stunning second season (and a truly awful third).

Ugh.

Chihayafuru hasn’t even fucking ended, you morons. It’s also not so much better than S1 that it warrants being called better.. it’s just whether you prefer two episodes’ worth of recaps to the childhood arc at the start. Ditto Railgun.. at least wait for the fuck to end before you slide off your partner and rate them, because they might shove a giant dildo in your ass when you don’t expect it and ruin the whole thing.

Index S2 was a catastrophe. It looked awful, had the dumbest and least balanced stories in the franchise, and generally felt like it was being phoned in even compared to the LN.

Working S2 wasn’t better than S1, it was practically the same season repeated.

BakaTest and ZombieDeskCar S2 were simply godawful unless you’re a glutton for bad anime punishment. At least season 1 had a few funny moments and vaguely creative parodies.

Also, stop pretending that Geass S2 was better just because of the ending. The rest of the season was pretty much self-parodic horseshit, right up there with Endless Eight.

At least a few of these make sense, thank Christ. Tegami Bachi and Milky Holmes had better second seasons for sure, though MH was just insane and TB ended pretty weakly.

And although Zero no Tsukaima’s a pile of dogshit, at least the second season is probably the strongest of the lot.

Clannad also didn’t need much to improve its first season, though to be fair Dango is really the only truly good part of season 1.

• I’ve already been commenting on KoreZombie, Clannad, and Geass in other replies. Just F3 search my name if you’re interested.

Agreed very much on Index. How is it that we now have entire organizations set on taking out Touma, yet almost none of the opponents he faces seem to get it through their heads that MAGIC ATTACKS DO NOT FUCKING WORK ON HIM!? Saiji seemed to be the only actual threat, but he only opposed Touma at the beginning of the season. In season 1, I really liked Touma as a protagonist: a level 0 weakling overcoming adversity in a world full of far more innate espers and magic holy men, blessed only by the immunity he has in a small portion of his body. But now, it’s kinda hard to think he’s accomplishing much when everyone he faces is a complete idiot.

It also doesn’t help that Index herself has to be useless as ever, being there only to run her biting gag straight into the ground. The harem was annoying too: it was big enough in season 1. Why’d it have to be doubled with pretty much zero effort? I mean, Fukiyose (hot though I think she is) just comes out of nowhere. Hell, why does every light novel NEED a harem in the first place (especially here, where the series is clearly action-oriented, with comedy and romance elements being far smaller in comparison)?

I don’t wanna remember much about Zero, but looking back, you’re probably right about season 2. The whole series is pretty much shit, but season 2 may’ve had the most epic moments (Saito’s battle in the final episode, and that whole bit with Colbert and Agnes… shame that season 3 went and cheapened the guy’s “death” -_-).

• I still need to watch through season 2. This “less Inami” thing you mention sounds intriguing enough, but if there’s more Poplar, I’d be sold… poor girl. Though WORKING!! arguably doesn’t have one “main” girl, I really gotta pity her being the major focus of the first episode (as well as the series’ mascot) only to have her spotlight derailed by the Takanashi/Inami romance plot tumor. -_-

• As much as i love Haruhi Suzumiya, Season 2 was really REALLY bad 8 episodes was Endless Eight however the other ones of that season was fine in fact i would have 3 episodes of Endless eight thats all that is needed to explain what is going on.

• Anonymous says:

Omg I see awful lists but this one is truly horrifying:

Haruhi? Code Geass?? Higurashi??? Really?

Minamike? Seriously? The second season was atrocious compared to the glorious first, I thought this was even acknowledged by them since they kept going on the: “finally minamike gets a second season joke”

Not even zero no tsukaima applies I think…

• Anonymous says:

Wow…. I actually disagree with a LOT of this. This is DEFINITELY a troll list, lmfao. The second season of Minami-ke was by far the worst in the series, for many many reasons. Haruhi was on here as an insult essentially; since the second season is really the reason why such a great franchise no longer exists short of LNs. Railgun I can agree with, they seem to have done a great job this time. Haganai’s second season actually wasn’t all that great, I mean; it was ok, but to call it better than S1 is highly debatable. Bakatest as well, the first season was a lot better. Putting S2 of KamiNomi on here was the straw that made me realize this list was created simply to mock the fact that great shows went on the decline and either almost, or actually did cease to exist due to poor DVD sales. I’m going to assume I’m not the only one who is amazed and ecstatic that KamiNomi is getting a third season.

Yeah, this is probably by far one of the worst troll lists I’ve seen on this site.

• Yeah, if they strictly mean the second season of MINAMI-KE, OKAWARI, it’s ridiculous, but I personally do enjoy OKAWARI and cut it a lot of slack (it was a very unusual circumstance that two different studios were working on different adaptations of the same manga simultaneously and there doesn’t seem to have been much coordination between Studios Daume and Asread). OKAWARI is the least of the four seasons, but it’s still a solid 8/10 for me.

• Personal thoughts on this list:

>12. Rosario + Vampire

Almost couldn’t get through the second season, that’s how bad and forced it felt to me.

>11. FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

I don’t really think that one belongs onto the list. It was a reboot rather than a second season.

>5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Lolwut? Endless Eight, padding set around season one episodes… nope. Who voted that onto 5?

• Anonymous says:

What destroyed Working!! for me was Inami’s complete inability to make a shred of progress on her androphobia, too much Aoi and not enough Popura, and Satou should just reveal he’s actually Sanji from One Piece already.

• Anonymous says:

I didn’t even think endless eight was that bad. Maybe if you were tuning in live and waiting for it to be different. That would be pretty annoying, but I’m almost certain that’s not the case.

I just look past it. Sure it’s eight almost identical episodes, well then just count it as one episode and don’t overlook the rest of them. Endless eight shouldn’t ruin everything and stamp the whole season as crap.