Top 25 Anime With Superior Second Seasons

tomodachi-ga-sukunai-by-watarai-keiji

As new seasons of popular anime continue to come forth, fans have assembled a ranking of the anime which they believe have second seasons more entertaining than the first – with there evidently being some unresolved controversy as to just how many seasons the first place entry actually had…

The ranking:

14. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

15. AKB0048

16. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

17. Baka to Test

18. The World God Only Knows

19. Strike Witches

20. Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

21. Sora no Otoshimono

22. Zero no Tsukaima

23. Tegami Bachi

24. WORKING!!

25. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

14:15 22/06/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice that Kore wa Zombie desu ka? was on this list. Seriously, fuck whoever said that the second season was better than S1. The second season was more like an OVA, essentially took away everything from the show, besides the typical "To Love-ru" esque "fall into panties and get exploded" ecchi harem stuff. I mean, that's all well and good; but the first season achieved a balance of drama, ecchi and plot and was an absolutely excellent anime.
    To say the second season was better is to essentially justify the logic that ecchi anime is garbage. I can relate why people hate ecchi and moe anime for the first time.

Comment by Ken
    02:45 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, I liked the 1st season of KwZdk? much better than the 2nd. I didn't know why but you explained it flawlessly here. And the story went bananas at the end of season 2, it was much simpler and coherent in the 1st season.

Comment by Yamato
    08:40 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually ranted about KoreZombie's second season in an earlier comment.

For the gist of it, I agree with what you said about the series falling into the usual harem trappings whereas the first season was far more straight-forward with its storyline. Though if I had to give one thing I liked about season two, it'd have to be the "villain".... but unfortunately, another one of season two's flaws is that none of its plot threads actually went anywhere, and that one was no exception.

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    19:16 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy Fucking Fucktards! 3~5, 25 where balls!
    code gayass2 was a motherhumping RESET at the beginning that took close to 15 episodes to find itself slightly to pick up.. than conclude well laid ideas in the First season like brain Farts (Looking at manga negima w/ the CORE idea of searching for FATHER concluded in ONE FUCKING PAGE)... the ending was deep into stupid for such a massively smart man to piss up too
    chlamydia 2 was an epic show of incompetence in part for the dipshit Retard boy who KNEW his girlfriend had both feet in the grave already but still sped up her head first jump into the cooker by having a kid.. who died faster! drama for the short term moron viewer who saw "heartfelt meaning" in this abortion
    Let's not forget the TWO MONTH+ "would you kindly shove this bloody AIDS infected shit covered rusted steel thorned rod up your collective asses" so that we can be artsy fartsy~ oh and here's some Massively awesome episodes to finish it off that was truly making me melancholy for the FIRST SEASON
    morbius round robin to nowhere season was just as aborted by retell the first season with different characters and furthering the trip literally NoWhere
    ...
    By the By: FMA was NOT a FUCKING SECOND SEASON but an actual making of the ORIGINAL MANGA in COMPLETION!!!!

Comment by Yamato
    08:01 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

A gave you an up-vote in hopes of at least somewhat evening out all the negative votes you've received. Though your manner of saying it was fairly crude, I do agree with some of your points.

-Haven't gotten into Negima! (anime nor manga), but what you said about Code Geass sounds right. Supposedly, the whole bit with Lelouche having his memory wiped and half of the series taking place in the schoolyard AGAIN weren't planned at first, and only got shoehorned in there due to executive meddling. This leaves one to wonder how the showdown between Lelouche and Suzaku at the end of season 1 was supposed to go down had that not occurred (would Charles still have had a memory-affecting Geass?). Have to disagree with you on the ending, though. A lot of people keep deriding it, but it actually does seem to me like a pretty good idea on paper (aside from de-powering the Brittanian Empire that caused most the world's problems in the first place, human beings really do fight over the most trivial things, but likewise, they could theoretically rejoice in the death of a common enemy, even if it's a short-lived, superficial peace... at any rate, no one seems willing to deny that Lelouche took it like a boss, plus his plan worked perfectly, and he might have even survived in the end).

-While I do think Clannad's drama seemed a tad forced, I don't think it was overall bad.... in fact, I even give it some props for managing to extend focus on the high school romance several years AFTER graduation (even if they did pair the male protagonist up with quite possibly the most dull, uninteresting girl in the series, if not all of KEY's history, in order to do it). But then the reset button came along, making the whole thing seem like a horrid waste of time.

-Endless Eight. That's all it needed to be summed up with. The movie (though arguably not part of the second season) somewhat made up for it, but the damage had already been done: KyoAni went from being one of the most respectable animation companies out there, with an emphasis on very high-quality animation, to a moe comedy-obsessed marketing tool that constantly trolls its fans. What's really sad is that Endless Eight actually could've worked as an amusing little experiment.... had they reduced the fucking thing to maybe three episodes at most. Instead, they take up two-thirds of the long-awaited season? Seriously?

-Haven't seen Horizon, so no comment.

-Agreed on FMA. Though, it's worth noting that the second series really rushed through the beginning portion, mostly because it's re-doing a story that had already been animated with a few minor differences, which still makes the first series worth your time. Also, in my opinion, the second half of the first series wasn't bad either, at least so far as gecko endings go. It may not have followed the manga, but at least it had a long time to build-up (with some foreshadowing even being done before it stopped adapting the manga). This is MUCH better than most series, which try to adapt the manga perfectly up until the last two episodes, which try to resolve all the early plot threads in a horribly rushed fashion.

Gotta disagree. First season was a mess. It had a preposterous plot that the show's creators didn't know how to deliver. Second season was a good, funny comedy (and nothing like TLR, which was neither good, nor funny).

I've watched both seasons of 13 of these and I'd have to say that Zombie was the only one in which the sequel was clearly superior to the initial. Although Haganai 2 was a great show, the first season was really good too. Chihayafuru falls into the same category.

I don't see it in here but the second season of Nurarihyon no Mago was much better than the dismal first season. Rurouni Kenshin had a very good first season but a stunning second season (and a truly awful third).

9/11 was an inside job ! Watch Alex Jones and WAKE UP you bunch of hypocrite SHEEPLE !

wow your a fucking moron. Do us all a favor and die in a fire

Comment by Kudiween
    13:28 22/06/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I was delighted when they finally made that second season of Minami-ke

Comment by Naoe
    13:46 22/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Yeah, the very long wait from the end first season was worth it.

19:01 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I SEE WHUT U DID THAR...

And I agree with you.

Comment by DarkChaplain
    13:29 22/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Personal thoughts on this list:

>12. Rosario + Vampire

Almost couldn't get through the second season, that's how bad and forced it felt to me.

>11. FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

I don't really think that one belongs onto the list. It was a reboot rather than a second season.

>5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Lolwut? Endless Eight, padding set around season one episodes... nope. Who voted that onto 5?

13:52 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Seeing FMA was enough to understand just how much stock to put into this list.

Comment by Joe Sullivan
    22:38 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Endless Eight was fucking bullshit. If I had been watching them once a week without the ability to scan over them because they're all the same, I might have gone to the effort of sending a letter to the animators to just say "Next week, pull your fucking head out of your ass and just get on with it. We get it. The days are looping. Whooptee doo! *middle finger*".

16:08 24/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i enjoyed all 8 episodes and the subtle differences in them.

14:14 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You and me are alone in this opinion, I guess.

Comment by ph
    16:15 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I waited week to week. I died a bit inside every time.

Comment by Yamato
    08:23 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly, I actually liked RosaVam's second series. Don't get me wrong, I can certainly understand why a lot of people hate it, but I nonetheless see some value in it. Whereas the first series seems to be adapting the manga, only to fuck it up at certain points (the way they handled the finale is just unforgivable, though as a Kurumu fan, I also have to bemoan the lack of that slug storyline where she gains her illusion powers), the second series doesn't seem to be establishing itself as an adaptation at all (Kokoa debuts, but that was likely just done to increase the harem, and possibly to promote the manga's second series). If you keep this in mind, and look at it on its own merits, it's actually a pretty hilarious show (the crowning moment for me was when Yukari's lost in deep thought while the episode's monster-of-the-day fight all takes place off-screen, complete with the stock narrator lines accompanying Moka's transformation XD). Also, in an ironic twist, the final episode actually looks to be setting the anime back on track with the manga's storyline after the first season derailed it (though I'm all for a complete reboot, this just seems like an interesting observation).

02:59 24/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And did you watch all the fist season of R+V?

That the second season was so bad and at the same time better that the first one it says so much about how much the fist season sucked

17:04 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Haruhi S2 includes S1

17:55 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So S1 was a sequel of what?

20:37 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Actually it was a interquel. The first season was in non-chronological order, the second was in chronological order together with the first season.

13:44 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i liked the second season of haruhi.....

Comment by Yamato
    08:03 23/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

more than the first season?

Comment by kamehappo
    03:41 26/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

"i liked the second season of haruhi....."

Me too.

Comment by Dan Hibiki
    13:43 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Endless Eight was genius. I actually enjoyed the anime version more than the book. It all happened far too quickly in the book. I liked that a few episodes in they had Kyon sorta figuring it out, then looping back and him forgetting it all and starting over again.

17:53 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I can agree with R+V and Haruhi but FMA is different in the sense that it really follows the manga leaving out a few details whereas the first season was completely different with very few factors that follow the original manga.

Comment by Ishmon16
    14:03 22/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

As much as i love Haruhi Suzumiya, Season 2 was really REALLY bad 8 episodes was Endless Eight however the other ones of that season was fine in fact i would have 3 episodes of Endless eight thats all that is needed to explain what is going on.

Comment by Otherwise-Six
    16:10 22/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Endless Eight could have been explained in one episode if they wanted. It was only a single chapter in the original light novels and I found that chapter to be fantastic.

I'm a huge Haruhi fan but the second season was a cop-out and a joke. First season and movie are much better.

16:49 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Mumbles maybe I'll rewatch it and skip the endless eight except for eight
    See if the series improved lol

Comment by yuriphoria

I actually enjoyed all the repetitions, they were interesting in their own way, each was unique.

I'm also the OCD type.

20:40 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I enjoyed to see the drama it caused but in an objective point of view it was unnecessary and I would rather have more light-novel chapters translated.

Comment by Chen-04
    16:29 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Technically Haruhi S1 has 14 episodes, while S2 has 28 episodes, including every episode from S1. So, yeah, I can see why the second one is considered superior. There's also the thing were the second season has the chronological order... and one can just skip over E8.

15:31 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

That was what the exact number of episodes I of watched endless eight~~

Comment by Boa Hancock
    17:44 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It took a big gamble to airing Endless Eight, and I think it was brilliant episodes.

04:55 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It was bad. Anime plot that go absolutely nowhere. It was pure filler episodes.

The get to know how Nagato felt going through 15000+ iterations argument is grasping at straws.

14:38 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Will no one save us from these accursed lists?

Yea. Haganai S1 was superior in every way.
    Yozora with long hair! :3

14:42 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Never liked Yozora even with long hair. But yeah, S2 ruined that series for me.

Comment by James Smith
    16:32 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I like both

17:29 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked Haganai S1 because it seemed like all of the girls had an equal chance.

What ruined Yozora in S2 was when she realized that her childhood history with Kodaka wasn't getting her ahead of the others so she turned into...well, she reminded me of the part in Shuffle! where Kaede jumps into bed with Rin and offers to fuck him just so he'll stay in the house. I guess "desperate for any kind of relationship without being full psycho yandere" would be it.

Comment by Fayt
    00:11 23/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Why is Code Geass up there? Sure the ending was !$!#$ amazing but the second season was no where near as consistently good as the first. Also (I'm assuming the "second season" of Full Metal in this case is Brotherhood) Brotherhood isn't a sequel it's a remake...

Shirley's death scene > Euphie's death scene.

14:25 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No K-On!!, lal.

Comment by isac
    03:59 03/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Go back to /int/, Isac.

14:03 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ugh.

Chihayafuru hasn't even fucking ended, you morons. It's also not so much better than S1 that it warrants being called better.. it's just whether you prefer two episodes' worth of recaps to the childhood arc at the start. Ditto Railgun.. at least wait for the fuck to end before you slide off your partner and rate them, because they might shove a giant dildo in your ass when you don't expect it and ruin the whole thing.

Index S2 was a catastrophe. It looked awful, had the dumbest and least balanced stories in the franchise, and generally felt like it was being phoned in even compared to the LN.

Working S2 wasn't better than S1, it was practically the same season repeated.

BakaTest and ZombieDeskCar S2 were simply godawful unless you're a glutton for bad anime punishment. At least season 1 had a few funny moments and vaguely creative parodies.

Also, stop pretending that Geass S2 was better just because of the ending. The rest of the season was pretty much self-parodic horseshit, right up there with Endless Eight.

At least a few of these make sense, thank Christ. Tegami Bachi and Milky Holmes had better second seasons for sure, though MH was just insane and TB ended pretty weakly.

And although Zero no Tsukaima's a pile of dogshit, at least the second season is probably the strongest of the lot.

Clannad also didn't need much to improve its first season, though to be fair Dango is really the only truly good part of season 1.

14:40 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree with you on just about all of these, except I found Working!! S2 to be much more enjoyable. More Yamada, less Inami.

03:50 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I guess if you hate Inami and love Yamada, that makes sense. Personally it's too marginal of a difference to count for me.

Comment by Yamato
    08:47 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I still need to watch through season 2. This "less Inami" thing you mention sounds intriguing enough, but if there's more Poplar, I'd be sold... poor girl. Though WORKING!! arguably doesn't have one "main" girl, I really gotta pity her being the major focus of the first episode (as well as the series' mascot) only to have her spotlight derailed by the Takanashi/Inami romance plot tumor. -_-

Comment by Yamato
    09:24 23/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I've already been commenting on KoreZombie, Clannad, and Geass in other replies. Just F3 search my name if you're interested.

Agreed very much on Index. How is it that we now have entire organizations set on taking out Touma, yet almost none of the opponents he faces seem to get it through their heads that MAGIC ATTACKS DO NOT FUCKING WORK ON HIM!? Saiji seemed to be the only actual threat, but he only opposed Touma at the beginning of the season. In season 1, I really liked Touma as a protagonist: a level 0 weakling overcoming adversity in a world full of far more innate espers and magic holy men, blessed only by the immunity he has in a small portion of his body. But now, it's kinda hard to think he's accomplishing much when everyone he faces is a complete idiot.

It also doesn't help that Index herself has to be useless as ever, being there only to run her biting gag straight into the ground. The harem was annoying too: it was big enough in season 1. Why'd it have to be doubled with pretty much zero effort? I mean, Fukiyose (hot though I think she is) just comes out of nowhere. Hell, why does every light novel NEED a harem in the first place (especially here, where the series is clearly action-oriented, with comedy and romance elements being far smaller in comparison)?

I don't wanna remember much about Zero, but looking back, you're probably right about season 2. The whole series is pretty much shit, but season 2 may've had the most epic moments (Saito's battle in the final episode, and that whole bit with Colbert and Agnes... shame that season 3 went and cheapened the guy's "death" -_-).