ffxv

Square Enix’s decision to completely transform Final Fantasy XV into an “action RPG” by the simple expedient of renaming Versus XIII looks to have been the final straw for many fans of the series – as have the intensity of its Nomura designed characters.

The gameplay trailer seems to confirm most of the traditional RPG elements the series was known for have been shed in favour of something looking more like God of War than anything seen in the main games so far:

The obligatory extravagant pre-rendered Square Enix trailer montage:

Most of the problem seems to stem from the fact that Square Enix – quite possibly now in no condition to even attempt a full-blown Final Fantasy title – appears to have simply chosen to rename Final Fantasy Versus XIII to Final Fantasy XV and so save itself the trouble of having to develop any more pesky towns or non-linear levels.

Its relatively nice graphics and Nomura-designed characters have won it some admiration, although the usual complaint that “they all look like hosts” quickly surfaced as well:

“Come on, just make an orthodox RPG again!”

“Ah, they made another one of the creepy ones.”

“So encounters are pure action now, but the rest is open world?”

“Looks like someone has been watching a lot of Berserk lately.”

“Not more of these hosts. Quit it with the sex trade hairstyles, I can’t empathise with them at all.”

“Huge unwieldable swords, weird hairstyles, bad music, strange dialogue, this is just going to far for me.”

“Final Fantasy Warriors.”

“Host Fantasy.”

“An action game in which narcissistic hosts do battle with gigantic monsters, great.”

“It looks like the health potions have been replaced by hairspray and perfume in this one.”

“Right, their hair gets messed up as they take damage.”

“The people moaning about hosts are just creepy otaku, ignore them!”

fantasy-hosts

“Can you honestly look at this and tell me those characters do not resemble hosts?”

“Did Final Fantasy copy the hosts or did the hosts copy Final Fantasy?”

13:36 12/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

You know I don't care that this is not a turn based rpg the game looks good. Not to say I don't wish Square Enix would go back to making turned based games. But this looks fun like a more adult Kingdom Hearts.

14:20 12/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

crisis core wasn't exactly turn based and it turned out well.

Comment by Erranty
    17:47 12/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

It had the one problem of making every enemy seem either super weak or overpowered though.

Comment by MasterX25
    14:39 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It was the first FF game that I enjoyed a lot and completed. So far I have yet to finish any other FF titles, but close to finishing FFX but I play it on and off.

11:18 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Maybe the FF series just isn't for you? Ever thought of that?

06:00 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@ 11:18: Maybe the new FF series just isn't for you? Ever thought of that?

17:35 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Indeed, this looks pretty fucking epic!
    Comparing it to GoW? Nonsense...more like DMC or Bayonetta, for there is much more agility and speed.

Watching the old age monsters wrecking the city...wow
    Catblepus seems really badass, not to mention the former guardians (Ifrit, Leviathan, Alexander, Bahamut, etc).

If they keep the way they turned to, it might be fun.

12:44 16/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

they were going for the kingdom hearts action style... many from the kh team also worked on xv. thus why they were announced fully together.

13:59 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Agreed, I want this game.

14:41 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

For oldschool FF fans I guess it wont appeal to them. Maybe they are trying to find a new audience as it seems to be trying to appeal to the female gamers? In saying that though (havent played any FF games since X) yeh I first got a feel of Kingdom Hearts with pretty graphics. Hopefully it's not cutscenes every 5 steps though

12:51 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It was developed by the Kingdom Hearts II team from the start, so yeahh.. WHAT A SURPRISE! It's an action rpg now?? NO WAII.

Seriously though, I'm expecting fantastic gameplay. As for everything else... it's Square-Enix.. better not get your hopes up.

16:29 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i was never a turn based gamer bcos it never clicked for me. and i always be a kingdom hearts fan (YAY KINGDOM HEARTS 3 CONFIRMED), but i actually never played a FF game before and this might be th first :))

17:28 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You're secretly g4y then

Avatar of Ore wa seitei Souther!! Nanto rokusei no teiho![Takemaru]

Lame dialogues, floating combat text in action game, knights with assault rifles, the AI seems to be on the level of a trilobite etc...

15:04 12/06/2013 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

Im more concerned about it being based on the shit stain that was XIII

Comment by Naoe
    15:18 12/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

The original Versus 13 doesn't have anything to do with XIII. It was made as a contrast game to XIII.

Comment by Naoe
    15:44 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Even FF Agito XIII, that was supposed to be in the same Fabula Nova series as XIII, was changed into its own stand alone game, as Type Zero.

06:06 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Type Zero and XV are still part of Fabula Nova Crystallis like XIII series is. They were never set in the same worlds to begin with, but share the same creation mythology.

Honestly, it's only one or two steps further from all Final Fantasy games sharing the same mythological gods and spirits for their summons.

13:39 12/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

I thought that VersusXIII was always going to be action RPG since its inception? Do you people not read the exclusive Famitsu screens and interviews with Nomura a few years back?

I remember Nomura promising us overworlds, so that implied TOWNZ. If shit goes linear like XIII, I'd blame the new CEO.

17:04 17/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, if you watch the trailer carefully, you'll notice an overlay map pop up at one point, showing that at least part of the game appears to take place in an open-world area.

I suspect they renamed this simply because its only vaguely tied to FFXIII, and because that game met a relatively poor reception. By calling it XV, they're trying to show that they put as much effort behind it as any major installment. And besides, who should care if they give an action game a full numbered title when they've been giving their MMOs the same treatment for years?

11:18 21/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The Crysallis series turned into the Lightning Trilogy because even Agito got renamed to Type-0. XIII is no longer an ivalice clone.

14:36 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It's called casual ignorance.

Netizens who see themselves as "hardcore" now-it-all when basically they're ignorant at the topic at hand.

16:10 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

"I thought that VersusXIII was always going to be action RPG since its inception?"
    "Granted, back then people retaliated more mildly to this because the title made people assume that it's not a mainline FF title. Now that they completely changed it straight to being XV..."
    Was there a point to this post? You explained what was happening yourself.

00:43 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The game was developed from ground up to be action RPG. The screens from the Famitsu mag made it look like the gameplay segment at least was already so late into development at this stage. It's been seven years and Nomura's been forced to put this game down several times to develop others, but even with that considered it's still plenty of years worth of work put in.

It's unfortunate that Versus is now shoved into mainline title just because the new CEO is cleaning house with old investments and still wary of investing for an AAA title(and instead going mobile. assholes). I for one don't agree that Versus has to be renamed XV despite how toxic the XIII brand has become, but at least they're still going ahead with finishing the damn thing already.

If the developers scrap all that action style gameplay they made over the course of seven years to revise them into turnbase now, there's a HUGE chance they'll just quickly scrabble everything up and give us less content.

"Develop the game longer then!". Well, pal, you're not SE's CEO. And since there are fanboys shoving their asses with their copies of XIII, which was hastily developed after the team lost their focus for more than two years, they'll think it's cool to pull that shit off again.

TL;DR I'd rather have a complex action RPG with plenty of content than a half-assed turnbased hallway sim they assemble together at the eleventh hour like XIII is.

00:08 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly. Nomura stated very early in VersusXIII's development that he wanted the game to feel like the movie "Advent Children" in terms of action.

13:09 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully just gameplay. The story of Advent Children was dreadful.

19:45 12/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Those dumbasses couldn't be more wrong this time around. I haven't been this excited for a Final Fantasy since 10.

This was just the boost square needed to pull themselves out of the pit they've been digging lately.

I'm hype for FF15

Comment by Riiku
    22:48 13/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

^This for fucks sake

The whole Nomura's "host" design looks fucking AMAZING, and action RPG is even better for me, because let's be honet, over the years I grew fucking TIRED of grinding levels and battling random monsters over and over and over and over and over again....

19:26 16/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Then you were never a fan of Final Fantasy, dipshit. Can't wait until you're all bawling because this garbage is worse than FF13.

05:26 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

SE still lied to PS3 buyers by saying Versus/FF15 was PS3 exclusive since 2006.

I'm still buying it for PS3, but knowing that it's multiplat (XBONE was confirmed) leaves a bitter taste. 7 years of waiting does this to you.

05:34 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

WTF are you talking about, the game's not on ps3 anymore.

20:47 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Holy shit, is someone whining like a bitch, because not only do they get to play it on their favorite console, but other people get to play the game too.... on some other console?

Hey fuck you guys, only people who bought my console can play my game, I mean final fantasy.

Protip: Almost every single FF ever made can be played on PC.

22:04 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@20:47
    I waited for seven years. Seven.
    Saying communistic thoughts like everybody having the chance to play the game automatically equates to being better for myself, who waited for seven years is just a middle finger to me.

06:06 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You should re-read that comment again. Reading is not your strong suit?

06:56 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@06:06

It's not being made for the PS3 - he said he's still buying it for the PS3.

It's for the Xbox One and the PS4.

11:13 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@06:06

I see that reading is not your strong suit...

14:02 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

No more PS3 version, great. Buying PS4 version instead anyway. Fck Microsoft's underhanded tactics.

Comment by KiTA
    11:12 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It was originally PS3, but the current rumor is that Sony swooped in with some investment money to help pay back the FF13 disaster, and they both mutually agreed to move FFv13 to PS4.

I hadn't heard it was multiplatform, but since Japan isn't getting the XBone until at least 2015, it really doesn't matter.

13:09 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

So if XBoner doesn't come to Japan till 2015, how do they develop the japanese xboner code? (herpderp philosoraptor mode)

08:13 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Please, the original Versus became XIII-2 and the new Versus is a whole another title all together, all so Sony & SquareEnix could save face after their bold exclusivity claims.

10:03 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn straight. Hopefully this starts a whole "Versus" action rpg universe, reserving the original for classic styles FF.

00:28 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I cant disagre more. I dont want an ARPG. I want a damn normal RPG like from FFX and down.

14:30 12/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with that trailer?

19:32 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I like it. I prefer Action RPG over turn based one. But that did not stop me from enjoying turn based game.

00:01 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I like action games as well, If I didn't I would not have games like Ninja Gaiden and God of War laying around, as well as Armored Core, Gran Turismo, Fifa Street, Fire Emblem, Radiata Stories, inFamous, Timeshift, Fable, Persona, Ar Tonelico... So I play all kinds of games, and I have no issues with action RPGs, the problem is Final Fantasy who was never an action RPG suddenly turning into one. In a matter of fact, I don't like how FPS and Open World Action games are turning into our only options and traditional RPGs now need to rely on cheap stuff like semi-nude anime girls to keep selling... I would like some serious turn-based RPG with nice graphics for a change.

Comment by coolball
    00:50 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

nope, I don't see anything wrong either.

Comment by A
    15:13 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That is because you are blessed with a fuctional brain.

05:45 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Have you taken a look at what site you're reading?

19:48 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nope, you are not the only one. This trailer (and KH3) restored my faith in Square. (well in Nomura anyway)

People are just being a bunch of dumbasses.

23:59 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

true that, but it's 2ch after all what would you expect

still, i love the host joke though

23:23 12/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The only thing that bother me in that trailer is all those male characters. It's Nomura's game anyway, I saw this coming miles ago. Apart of that, nope, nothing wrong.