haganai-movie-filming

The first leaked glimpse of the movie adaptation of Tomodachi ga Sukunai – which even the author seems keen to disown – appears to have revealed its casting choices were even more misguided than had been feared.

Even a blurry long-distance shot of the production has set fans off, so it is anyone’s guess how they will react when full details of the cast emerge, already having made some abortive efforts to get it cancelled by way of a petition:

“Niku has black hair!?”

“She’s not even got the butterfly!”

“Yukimura is gigantic…”

“Please just stop this!”

“You wouldn’t know who is who, apart from Yukimura and Kobato.”

“Yukimura is big, don’t tell me they actually got a man for the role…”

“Who wants 3D maids, only 2D ones are of any interest.”

“Niku looks nothing like Niku and doesn’t even have blonde hair. They aren’t even trying!”

“Please let this not be real!”

“Honestly, a live action adaptation of Haganai is impossible for a yellow race like the Japanese.”

“Even if they brought in a foreigner for it they’d still get bashed.”

“So I guess you’ll all be going to see it then?”

20:23 18/05/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

They should really have casted the voice-actors.
    147cm tall Kanae Ito as Niku would have been hilarious.
    Marina Inoue as Yozora, being one head taller than everybody else.

Comment by Benoist
    02:41 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

yozora would call her "nendoroid" instead of "niku"

23:32 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

What if they decide to rotoscope the movie?

02:36 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Rotten asshole of a dead sewer rat!

It will then be filed under the "anime only americans like" section along with shitty akuhana...

03:34 19/05/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Since when have americans liked rotoscoping?! the only animated film i can even think of, that used rotoscoping was heavy metal and that's because cg was just a concept back then. you fucking homo.

01:24 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Speaking as an American...

Rotoscoping sucks.

Comment by xzeldax3
    15:31 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

A Scanner Darkly wasn't bad at all. The rotoscoping was definitely hard work, because it was pretty much like animating.

04:25 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's have a retrospective on rotoscoping and how much Americans liked it...

Scanner Darkly... fail

Crappy Lord of the Rings attempt in the 80s... fail

One scene in Heavy Metal that looks like sh**... fail

and this crap (and scanner darkly) aren't even rotoscoping. It's just a damned filter program.

04:24 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And Heavy Metal is canadian XD

06:30 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Snow white was rotoscoped, dumbass.

09:52 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Speaking as a Japanese...

All Americans are cunts.

10:17 21/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

the funny thing is 9:52 is probably non-japanese

07:56 21/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

09:52

Watch your mouth jap ^^

As an American, and also as a non-japanese, I'd say majority of the world agrees japs are bitches.

Spread your legs.

20:26 20/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You're fucking dumb.

Comment by Myballz
    08:21 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I know for a fact I seen a King of the Fighters Live action movie can you guess the company who produce the movie is from?

Fellow American agreeing.

And Canada is part of North America, duh, so they are Americans, too^^ What you are talking about are USAnyans.
    (me <- European, so don't start arguments about the matter...)

Comment by Takuya
    21:20 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I would definitely watch that!

01:23 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, I figured that if they're not gonna even try sticking with the characters' original appearances, why not just put the whole voice actors' cast in there.

06:49 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The biggest issue would be that they aren't high-schoolers anymore, but that wouldn't matter in a skit-driven or a stage drama format.

This way or another, instead of the dismal sight a short-haired Yozora is, couldn't they make her put on some kitsunemimi, or help jog Kodaka's memory in another way?

07:37 19/05/2013 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

3DPD. Not gonna watch this movie due to that sole reason. YOLO

Comment by zanhan
    21:39 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

They did something like that at the live event.
    youtu.be/dZCaKz6pnNw?t=17m57s
    Even Kobato looks gigantic next to Sena.

Comment by Rene
    22:08 18/05/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Trying to replicate 2D in 3D is your first problem. The second? A movie based on Anime that isn't fucking ANIMATED.

22:31 18/05/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

*Third world problem*

Comment by HouseLife
    20:16 18/05/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Look on the bright side. It's already preparing itself to be an unintentional drinking game.

20:45 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I don't even like beer... I want a bright side too!

03:26 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

On the bright side, you will learn to like bear. Stockholm style.

04:29 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

ZOMG! You just won the spelling bea!

07:27 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@04:29
    I've always wanted a spelling bee!

Comment by Not Sure
    20:33 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I hadn't even thought of that. Well played.

20:13 18/05/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

>Japan
    >makes a good live-action movie
    Pick one!

21:33 18/05/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Rurouni Kenshin begs to differ.

07:38 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

What this guy said. Rurouni Kenshin renewed my faith in live-action adaptations. Sadly, this Haganai adaptation is looking to stab that faith through the heart.

14:17 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, Rurouni Kenshin Live action move was awesome, they followed the manga and anime almost exactly and the fightings were epic too, i recommend the movie to anyone.

Apart from Kenshin movie, i think there is no live action movie that deserves the time

20:34 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Last I checked, it wasn't Japan who made Dragonball Evolution.

20:52 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

To be fair, 20:13 didn't say "adaption", and I haven't seen many live action movies from Japan that didn't have major issues. But yeah, you're right, our ani-adaptions (animation in general) suck.

This problem stems from the fact that Muricans are so used to CGI elements being plastered everywhere that ordinary acting in a movie can no longer pass as acceptable. This film is being hated on for being an adaptation.

Why would a LN like Haganai, which is mostly unknown to the rest of the world be funded with millions anyway?

21:15 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

>implying there's ever been a good live action film adaption of anything involving manga, anime & video games, anywhere
    >implying Japan would have done better

nigga u dumb. 99% of the live action films japan has ever produced are in fact pure shit.

21:27 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The last time checked Holywood at least made movies which were good.

05:13 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

This doesn't make it ok that we made Dragonball Evolution.

03:50 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The only characters that seemed Japanese in the anime were Yozora and Rika. Yukimura was identified as full-Japanese, but has the appearance of some magical European fairy. Kodaka and Kobato are supposed to be Half-Japanese, Half-English; Sena and Stella both look VERY Half-something else and Pegasus seems like he would fuck almost anything. Maria and Kate both look like aliens. Would take a miracle to cast that bunch accurately. Miracle fail.

07:00 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It could've been done more accurately even with the nationality hindsights. Like not fucking up the maid costume, would've made it a whole lot better for me.

20:15 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Can't wait to see the anoying overacting of those manufactured idols which have been casted for this movie.

21:27 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Not being racist, but "manufactured idols" made me think: what if it were Korean or Chinese actors? The women would all look the same because of plastic surgery^^

you do realise the phrase "not being racist, but..." is an oxymoron.

23:15 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

people say "not being X, but" because it's much easier than REALLY not being X

06:35 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

How nice, so I am a racist? WAIT... I just said "I am a racist"... oh there was a question mark!
    People... I am not racist and I wasn't in my earlier statement, stop nitpicking over my choice of words. I am not even a native speaker of the English language, so I can't argue about my "Not to be x, but" being an Oxymoron. But let me clarify what I meant to say:
    "The following I am going to write is likely to sound racist, but it is not intended to be, which is why I am saying, that nobody should take offense in my words."
    "If you swapped the Japanese cast with Korean or Chinese actors, who are most likely subjects of plastic surgery, which is known for making them look similar to an extent that they lose most of their individuality (for reference look at recent articles on this very website) this movie would attract even more negative critique."

And now let's start the hate on me using very long sentences with lots of commata... or how I said I am a white European... or how I try sooo hard to make my foreigner English sound professional, but still am a weaboo moefaggot and a racist... yeah. The more I say the bigger the hatewaggon gets, which I find amusing.
    In short: I'm not racist and people are idiots for overanalyzing every phrase without trying to apply some logic first. Thanks for reading and go to hell (not that I believe in that crap... ooh another topic to troll me). I hope you are white faggots, so you can't call me racist again.
    Have a nice day people of all ethnics :D

21:19 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You want to retake the Philippines? Nonsense, everybody knows Philippines truly belong to the Holy Kingdom of Spain!

22:57 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Not being racist, but I want to support the Emperor and drive the white occupiers into the sea.

And then re-take the Philippines, Taiwan, Korea, and Nanjing.

Comment by yuriphoria
    23:47 18/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh, making such categorical claims is not different than being racist. "All people who say they aren't racist are racist" is not much different than "All Japanese have small dicks".

21:27 WAS racist, but that's besides the point.

Complaining that Japanese, Chinese and Korean people all look the same to you?

To them, you, me, Rick Perry and Barack Obama all look the same (and they manifestly don't know what you or I look like).

Comment by encoje
    05:18 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think the comment was that all the cosmetic surgery post-ops look alike. Don't start up hate and try to take the righteous side.

01:31 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

We're not saying they all look alike. We're saying your surgeons make them all look alike.

06:06 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon 21:27 here. encoje is right, I didn't mean that all Asian people look the same. Maybe should've formulated it better. And who the fuck is Rick Perry? (yeah, I googled it, but write this nonetheless... sorry, not from the US. maybe YOU were discriminating, assuming everyone is from North America?)

I'm white and I am fully able to differentiate between people of all ethnics / skin colors / whatever you wanna call it. Statistics say that to people of one skin color people of the others look the same / too similar to identify individuals... and mind you, I'm not one of them, nor a racist or hater (of Asians in this case).
    On topic: I was talking about plastic surgery and how it fucks up individuality.

02:27 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Most people from Eastern countries that are very homogenous are actually very good at facial recognition because they can find and identity the smallest details.

01:15 19/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

all kpop girls look the same to me, did they mass produce them or something?