Million Arthur: “A New Low Even For Square Enix”

million-arthur-003

The latest controversy courted by Square Enix comes in the form of their decision to release “Million Arthur” on the PlayStation Vita – the first time the company has been shameless enough as to release a F2P smartphone card game on a real gaming device.

million-arthur-001

million-arthur-002

Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur, an anime-styled “online card battle RPG” which embraces the F2P pay-per-item style business model popular with smartphone casuals but widely loathed by actual gamers, is due later in April:

The game does feature some nice art on the cards:

million-arthur-004

million-arthur-014

million-arthur-015

million-arthur-016

million-arthur-017

million-arthur-018

million-arthur-019

The decision to release “smartphone trash” onto the PSV has caused a surprising amount of umbrage online – although there is evidently some disagreement as to whether this is a sign of the Vita or Square Enix’s dire straits:

“Square Enix’s stock price is down to 3 digits!”

“A F2P pay-per-item game? So a social game?”

“Square Enix has totally betrayed us.”

“I wish they’d just hurry up and go bankrupt. Nobody would lose out.”

“They are seriously off course now.”

“Who would even buy one of their games now?”

“This trash? The legendary one with all the buggy events which they never patched and which you still have to pay for…”

“I guess this befits the Vita…”

“Just knowing Square Enix was involved makes me lose interest.”

“Wonderful, social games on the Vita…”

“Why not leave this stuff on the smartphones where it belongs?”

“Where is FF11?”

“I’d rather they not release this item charging stuff on consumer gaming devices.”

“Let this trash die on the smartphones.”

“No phone games on consoles please!”

“Who is going to play a game like this on the Vita anyway?”

“Porting one of these fraudulent charge games onto the Vita, really? Nobody wants them.”

“Only middle schoolers buy or play card games. And they hardly own Vitas, so this is doubly bad.”

“Square Enix are done for. They have no choice but to concentrate everything on the only stuff they have which makes any money now.”

“They have failed at all their online games… I think this is just Wada’s legacy being passed down.”

“A game publisher which doesn’t sell releases a game which didn’t sell on hardware which didn’t sell, classic.”

“Whether it sells or not, I hope they introduce some sort of zoning feature so kids are protected from being bilked by their charging.”

“This series bombed years ago on phones. Do they really think a smartphone app on the Vita has any chance?”

“If this doesn’t bomb, expect a flood of F2P smartphone games on handhelds.”

“Square Enix, are you alright?”

“Porting a social game onto the Vita… a new low.”

08:33 05/04/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Absolutely disgusting
    Just wait for the PS4 (PlaySocial 4)

03:16 06/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

*places seal of approval* PlaySocial 4 is now the default mockery, please get your reward at the counter.

Comment by Gradius
    10:29 06/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Whatever I see "social" on Inet it only means ANTI-social!

18:17 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't get what's the problem?
    It's not like you have to get it when you own a Vita. Any additional game can only be positive for the ecosystem.

And I don't know why it's become some kind of trend to bash SE. If you don't like what they produce now just keep playing the stuff you like.
    I think most of the people ranting on everything recently are just hung up on the past, yet I'm pretty sure most of them wouldn't want to play any of those oldschool "godly" games even if they haven't played them before. And don't say "I've played them all already", cause there are so many, you can't possibly have played them all. So there's still plenty of stuff to play even if you dislike modern JRPGs and they're all available on emulators and easy to get.

But I bet you lot are just hypocrites saying you don't care about graphics and it's all about gamplay. If that was true you'd be on the emulators now and not bitching around any SE news.

And downvotes just prove me right! ;)

Comment by Mauvais
    23:34 09/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, Mr. Smarty Pants, let me give you my angle. There's a good reason for people to be getting hung up on the past these days. I HAVE been hitting the emulators of late, because they really DON'T make them like they used to. No one ever talks about Xenogears, but that is, hands down, my favorite game ever (let's not talk about Xenosaga). FF7 was a good game. Whatever others say, I have my own reasons for liking it. FF8 was decent, and I never tried FF9. Then Square merged with Enix.

The effect this had on their games was immediately apparent, with FF10. The characters became 1-dimentional and uninteresting, as did the story. The graphics were pretty good at the time; not groundbreaking, but not too shabby. However it WAS clear they put more time into the visuals than the actual content of the game.

Since then, I've heard nothing but bad things about Squenix. Kingdom Hearts was cool, but with all the spinoffs, Squenix set its trend for milking popular titles with underwhelming derivatives. I was a big fan of Squaresoft before the merge, and I think Enix had its own merits. If there were any way for them to part ways, I would encourage it...but that won't happen.
    At this point they are stinking up the place with their lack of vision and lousy titles, and they're paying the price. From the look of things, they have a little time to make something worthwhile, or rot away to nothing.

We'll see about that. In the meantime, I'll be playing my ol' Diablo II and Xenogears.

Comment by Terry
    00:16 26/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

FF X-2 was actually the last final fantasy square worked on. From 11 on was squenix.

00:30 04/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

a big fan but never played FFIX
    and you still call yourself a fan?
    shame on you!
    go play it now!

14:49 05/04/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Sqaure Enix, cut the crap and just do hentai. You know you're good for it.

Comment by Fresh Start!
    10:50 06/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Hentai with Square Enix graphics...*pure eye candy*

23:14 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

No, event with Hentai I'm not sure they will do it right.

03:45 06/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yea they would find some way to do it wrong. I don't even know what that would be, but they would find a way.

10:19 06/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They would make it Free to Watch, but with flashy lights and censor birds that you can remove by paying a "small, convenient sum" of money.

Be ready for Freemium hentai, people...

11:00 05/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Never heard or cared about the game, but damn some of those girls are cute.

12:45 05/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Biri biri ftw: http://imgur.com/eOJRvE0

09:35 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Them LOLI's

11:37 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I wish it would be translated. since kamachi kazuma is in charge of the scenario. http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-misc-previews/1083-million-arthur-big-update

06:02 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

When will they make a good game like they used to.

When they part out the company and westerners buy up all of their top IPs.

A few days after Never. They're just not the same people anymore, therefore their ideas and standards have changed. And not for the better, of course.

Square-Penix had a decent run, though I liked them ever so much more when it was just Squaresoft. Enix has always been deadweight, and now they both get to go down for it.

Just shut it down, SE. At least back out with some fucking dignity intact.

Have to say something to defend Enix. Go play all the RPG's by Enix back in the 90's (Terranigma, Soul Blazer, Star Ocean, etc.). They are all as good as if not better than the contemporary final fantasies.

And here is some fun trivia... The Dragon Quest series was not a Square series... The Orge Battle / Tactic Orge / Final Fantasy Tactics series was also not a Square series... Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, etc. There were all Enix's franchises.

Other than Final Fantasy, the majority of good games released by Square Enix actually came from the Enix half.

Comment by SpideyPHL
    12:35 05/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Way to completely ignore the Chrono series, the Seiken Densetsu series, Super Mario RPG, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics and lots of other games in your Enix fanboyism.

Enix wasn't a crap company before, sure, but it was definitely Enix's management after the merger who caused the problems SE has had since.

Comment by Chen-04

Oh really... Enix is responsible for shitty games like Terranigma, Soul Blazer, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Chrono series, Valkyrie Profile, Grandia and Final Fantasy Tactics?

Wow... so Enix really is the problem, I wouldn't have believed it until you guys pointed it out for me.

11:28 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There are tons of free or cheap indie games on the vita, so I don't see anything wrong with releasing a card game in the store as long as they don't sell and limit it to hardcopy. Million arthur is also a very popular card game in japan and south korea. To top it off, the scenario is written by kamachi sensei (a certain magical index). To me, this game is welcome on the vita anytime. If you want to know more, go to steparu. http://steparu.com/latest-news/1058-million-arthur-guide

11:24 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'd care more if cards like 005 and 018 were the majority and not the minority.

06:59 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

holy crap, square's gone moe.

But a card game is meh, don't know if want.

01:37 06/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

No, the moe-looking cards shown here are only a minority... I bet there are hundreds of cards and they probably showed all or almost all of those cards on this article.

I would normally call it a low blow, but, seeing how Moe itself is pretty much a part of Japan's culture today, I guess it is only natural from an oriental point of view.

...but the game itself is a low blow, so disregard all that.

09:01 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Come on SE... Where is the “We’re Going To Scrap All The Rubbish!”? Motivation... I think not

18:33 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

By "Rubbish" they likely meant expensive projects that present no immediate profit. i.e. Final Fantasy.
    Social gaming will be their new focus.

13:57 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Do you have to pay for the vita version? It would seem kind of weird if you had to pay for a game that is free for smart phones, everyone has one of those about now.

17:42 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sutema Otsu

06:42 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

new management lol.

12:04 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Wada's going away present.

10:53 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

New management doesn't take effect until a few months time. Even longer before we hear anything about any new projects.
    This is still Wada's Squeenix in action.

11:56 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Wada : If I'm leaving! I will bring down the company with me!! Have FUN while it last!!!

09:53 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

If the game is already made (ported), might as well release it.

Comment by kintama00
    06:46 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lol.. they'd earn more even if it were a PC game <.<

03:20 06/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You can play it on PC via BlueStacks.

19:29 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

a free2play pc game

Comment by Tyeal
    16:24 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm keeping the mind-set of Squanix was just pinching this particularly unsavory loaf so they could make room for something else. Still don't care about 'Lightning Returns' though, or FF14.

Hmm. What would happen of Squanix went the route of the now-gone LucasArts? If Eidos somehow managed to get them closed down and make them just a license to sell to other developers? That'd certainly be something.

Also, why so many pre-teen girls in see-through/skimpy clothes? I get Japan is different but... It's REALLY getting old that they can't be bothered to feature a few more adult WOMEN in their artwork.

Comment by KleinerKokiri
    17:48 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh... it's not that unusual to port games with micro-payments from Smartphone devices to other stuff anymore. It's hardly a rip-off if the content provided includes the additional micro-pay content for free.

Comment by Chen-04
    17:37 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like a fun freeware game. That it is neither freeware nor probably any fun is just sad.

16:46 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The game was GREAT before they released the Knight mode, glad they are allowing both modes now..
    It was TOTALLY possible to play this game without paying. I got a 'SS' rank deck so far :)

13:39 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Im sorry guys, but i am losing faith in japan more and more every day. I it me or is the world just keeps becoming more and more shitty

Comment by Chen-04
    17:47 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It's just you. World's looking great over hear, I checked with Proxies.

Comment by Takuya
    13:38 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

squeenix, stop wasting the time of my favorite eroge artists on your crappy f2p games, they have more important projects to work on.

13:30 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

What does anyone expect when they have a fucking accountant running the show now?

13:52 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

yay gorilla paintin skillz sucks donkey ballz.

and that paymend..... awful.

i should really get a fun job for once in a while. * leaves gintama* uga uga.

12:58 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I refuse to believe that something with delicious lolis is bad.

13:01 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Moe Moe Kyun!

14:18 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe it works ?

14:37 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

No matter what they say, they will still buy the damn thing, bunch of closet perverts.