Atelier Escha & Logy “Half Action RPG & Half Slice-of-Life”

atelier-escha-and-logy-002_1.jpg

atelier-escha-and-logy-009.jpg

atelier-escha-and-logy-015.jpg

The first glimpse at upcoming moechemy RPG Atelier Escha & Logy reveals heroine Escha Malier to be every bit as cute as her forbears, and also boasting rather more bishonen than previous titles in the form of the tongue-twistingly hot Logix Ficsario.

atelier-escha-and-logy-001_1.jpg

The developers admit their twin protagonist system is actually intended as much as a RPG market landgrab as it is an excuse to service female fans – they say playing the “slice-of-life” Escha scenario is intended for traditionalist fans who prefer their heroines mastering the intricacies of making bread in a cauldron and cutely venturing forth only to bop threatening fruit hamsters.

Meanwhile Logy’s saga focuses on a “world depicting scenario” intended for general RPG gamers and laden with weighty plot and events. Fiery battles and sharp dressing also appear to feature heavily.

Whether the developers of a carefully nurtured niche franchise can actually pull off a deliberate expansion into what sound distinctly like action RPG territory does not seem to concern many fans however, as the game as gorgeous as ever.

The trailer:

atelier-escha-and-logy-037.jpg
atelier-escha-and-logy-038.jpg
atelier-escha-and-logy-039.jpg
atelier-escha-and-logy-040.jpg
atelier-escha-and-logy-041.jpg
atelier-escha-and-logy-042.jpg

Atelier Escha & Logy is due in July.

18:01 02/04/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

That tail = Instant Boner!

20:13 02/04/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

BRING BACK KISHIDA MEL!

Comment by Shaolan-kun
    12:32 02/04/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

So I'm buying a full game to only play half of it?

This, plus the KT decision to not include the original Japanese voice track in Ayesha (and so probably not in this too - IF they even release it in US/UE) makes me think my Atelier adventure is ending in Arland.

(╥_╥)

Comment by Castian
    15:39 02/04/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I heard ya.
    While i love the atelier series since Ps2's Iris, there IS concern with KT recent rape of the series, alienating their fanbase, removing Japanese audio from their games, clearly they don't know their own market.

00:48 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Apparently the Japanese voices were not included due to licensing issues with the recording studio.

17:43 07/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

They probably didn't want to spend the money for the voice, I remember seeing a lot of anime voice actors, so its possible that they didn't want to pay for it...I would rather they skip the enlish voice and went for Japanese though.

14:46 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Citation needed.

This is definately not backed up by anything on the official publisher's forums.

All they posted was a bunch of, "there's a reason that we are not saying" and tried to obfuscate by saying that there are games where licensing is a problem, attempting to confuse people into linking the 2 separate issues.

00:33 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

KT is Korean Technology?

They sure love to remove Japanese.

00:59 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The studio they used to record voices probably holds part or the whole rights over the voice track. So KT would probably have had to re-license the whole voice track again and it would get more expensive so they decided to drop it instead.
    They couldn't publish it with just the Japanese voices instead of dubbing because this would scare away possible new fans and it would be bad for them business-wise.
    About the people who are already fans, they know they are going to buy it anyway so... you know.

09:50 04/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@09:13
    "Let's scrap the original audio track from a game series that consistently had this option despite the fact that recently we had so many complaints with Dynasty Warriors 7 that made us release a free Japanese Voice Pack DLC later."

Sorry, your argument is invalid.

Comment by HouseLife
    15:36 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

With luck the cancelled preorders will show them they went the wrong direction and make the better choice, but of course they don't have evidence, and therefore have the risk of being stupid.

02:08 04/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Or maybe they'll interpret that as "no interest for this series over here" and stop localizing future titles altogether?

The company is run by highly educated people. They don't make illogical interpretations like that with no basis.

09:44 05/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds like two games glued together.
    They should release both individually for half the price instead. Plus a bundle with both. I don't know, but this double approach doesn't make sense when the two experiences are so different.

14:41 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

paying full price for half a game? well, thats the extremely cynical way of looking at it i suppose...

the more positive way of looking at it would be paying for one game and getting 2. but hey, guess some people just love to be a downer....

Comment by HouseLife
    18:11 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

Yeah, I am getting a little unnerved here. What exactly is this 'half a game' bullshit. For me it will only be half a game if they don't make the character related in some way through their actions. If you just have an alchemist doing her stuff while the guy is doing his thing, and they never meet or intertwine, then there's no point to the two of them being in the same game. Only then would this be a terrible idea, and I hope they're not approaching that concept.

As for people complaining about a male MC alongside the female, well... I have nothing to say but that the internet yet again proves it's nowhere close to cleansing itself of its supply of stupid children.

22:34 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

This is half game. They don't include Japanese voice for its release -_-*

01:53 04/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@HouseLife
    Buy it? Of course, when I move out of this POS country I will.

I'm not the cause of anything, because I was never a potential customer. Where I live games are way too expensive, trying to import the Japanese version becomes a gamble with 40% chances of having my game stolen inside the customs and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it because the government doesn't care about imports like this, only above a certain value.

Today, I have two options: Play it pirated or don't play it at all.

If I don't play, that's my loss, right?

But if I pirate it, who loses what?
    What damage is done? Did I take the game from your house? Nope, it is just another copy out of an infinite source.
    If there's not piracy available people like me simply won't play.

There's no piracy for 3DS games nor Vita games and this didn't make me run and buy a Vita and original games, I simply don't play them.

What difference does it make to game developers or other games if I get to play their games? Is it wrong to borrow a game from a friend then? Because that's also playing without paying.

Then I'm double wrong, not only I'm playing pirated games, but I'm also playing them in a borrowed PS3 that can't even read blurays. (because my friend busted his bluray drive watching pirated anime DVDs and now it won't read games anymore, he don't care about any games besides Naruto Retardation Storm and Dragon Ball games)

Also, I don't think that piracy is right, I have originals too, and they're my most prized possessions. But for now it is pirate or go watch "let's play" videos with stupid unfunny comments.

And here's my whole point from that comment:
    While you guys are suffering because of a shitty decision from the people you are supporting, the pirates are having their way.

Is it fair? Hell no.

Why is it that you paying customers deserve get the short end of the stick?

Why is it that you are not allowed to modify what you own?

Why is it that you simply have to either comply or shut up?

You should see this as a message to the publishers and not turn to poor people who pirate and condemn them for doing it.

And understand: Pirates cause no damage, we don't have money, we're eating the leftovers someone threw away, savaging trash looking for something usable. It doesn't affect you, It doesn't affect the industry. It is pure greed from the publishers to think that someone is eating their leftovers for free.

09:52 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

To those who really want Ayesha in JP with subs, this is the only option.

Comment by HouseLife
    15:35 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

@ Anonymous 23:53

Don't turn piracy into something to be respected or boast over. People like yourself are the reason why the games industry is run by cowards now, and why games that deserve recognition are lost to crap sales.

While I will give in that in Ayesha's case it was sheer ridiculousness, piracy comes after you buy the game. Buy it and you'll be okay in my book. I have undubs of all of Persona on PS2 as well as all of Ar Tonelico, but I own them as well.

Why would you undub tonelico when it comes with dual audio? Unless you mean AT3.

For people complaining about not having Japanese voice tracks: There's always a way to make an undub version!

But of course you non-pirates won't play it, since you're shackled by anti-piracy bullshit worthless copyright DRM trash.

I'm playing my pirated copy of Atelier Ayesha in Japanese because I can, since I don't need translations. But still, I know some guys who are working in an undub version, but of course it requires a jailbroken PS3.

"So I'm buying a full game to only play half of it?"

What? More like you're buying a full game to play a full game and have the option of playing ANOTHER full game when you stop being a pathetic faggot.

I say this because one side in Mana Khemia 2 was the same in length as the entirety of Mana Khemia 1 and lasted even more than a typical playthrough of one of the Arland games.

Lol anon butthurt at a male lead alongside the female. Call it half a game cause they can't handle a male character who makes their shortcomings apparent. This mentality is laughable, grow some balls. Guys with androphobia.... lol

22:13 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Its probadly not as much because there is a male character than its is because they try to move the series in an other direction.

I mean when I buy an atelier game I want to do what an atelier does not to play an action RPG. If I wanted that I would have bought games like Mass Effect or Final Fantasy or an Eldar Scroll game or etc.

They are all good RPG's which do it allot better than any atelier games would ever have done it.

"So I'm buying a full game to only play half of it?"
    This is kinda true, unless they double their resources it would mean some of it has to divert to the "Action RPG" aspect instead of the "atelier" aspect. which means the "atelier" aspect is going to be less while the price stays the same.

23:04 02/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

I agree, the thing I like most in Atelier games is the relaxing atmosphere without having your teenage heroine burdened by the task of saving the world... I don't mind them making an action RPG but I kinda hope they had made a whole game, a whole Atelier game and then make a separate title for the action RPG game... Making a mixed bag usually brings out sad results.

10:23 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean try move the series back to it's roots? This whole JRPG for girls and creepy 30 year olds that still watch magical girl anime is something that very recently came along in the series this last console generation.

The Atelier Iris games all included the whole alchemy deal while having both a great battle system and a coherent storyline. I was super hyped for Meruru, but when I got it I realized they were nothing similar. I do wish they'd go back to having a serious rpg, rather than an alchemy simulator.

21:41 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

talk about your mentality. if you talk... then you are right. if not... then destiny may judge you.

Buy Japanese version if you want Japanese voice acting.

What, you can't read Japanese? THEN FUCK OFF, WEEABOO FAGGOT.

Buy the Japanese version if you want Japanese voice acting.

What, you can't read Japanese? THEN FUCK OFF, WEEABOO FAGGOT.

15:23 02/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Definitely an R18+ game...

23:03 02/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Useless fucking piece of shit male MC!

23:06 02/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

"The developers admit their twin protagonist system is actually intended as much as a RPG market landgrab as it is an excuse to service female fans"

Well, fuck the developers and the female fans.

Um, why 'fuck the female fans'?

Any devoted female fans of this series obviously liked the game for what it was before they decided to include a male MC. The male MC being added is based on developers' idea that this is what the female fans would want... not because they were pressured to do so, right?

13:31 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Well, Atelier had great games in recent years until the developers decided to bring back the male MC part again.

23:12 02/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

"The developers admit their twin protagonist system is actually intended as much as a RPG market landgrab as it is an excuse to service female fans."

Instant dropped. I hope this title crashes down just like Ninja Gaiden 3 and Resident Evil 6. Just another stupid game company that tries to "popularize" its own well-established game by catering to a different target audience and ends up completely ruining it.

23:28 02/04/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

DmC Devil May Cry was a disaster too.

No...? Who said that...? DMC had an spectacular welcome from both casual public and some DMC fans; only purists considered it a disaster.

23:20 02/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Guess I'll stick with the Arland trilogy for now. I would rather play Senran Kagura than this new garbage.

23:26 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Great. Once again, Sankaku Complex bringing up this worthless game again. *facepalm*

23:36 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder why everyone hates the male mc.

23:37 02/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

I wonder why fujoshi have to ruin everything.

01:08 03/04/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

At least they're not westernizing the game. Be grateful for that, at least.

09:27 04/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Because male MC is a worthless piece of not yuri!

@23:37 I like how you got upvoted and didn't bother answering my questions. Otaku fail...

I agree with you in this game !

I prefer the unique atmosphere :3

23:04 02/04/2013 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

your support is incomplete. therefore.. is your main prota.

23:05 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

and... if i am ever again..

23:06 02/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

tagged as your main prota... then this will happen again.
    and again....
    and again....

and again.....
    and again....

and again....
    and again......

Comment by Renzo
    00:37 03/04/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Let's see whether this system featuring two main protagonist (male & female) will ruin or improve the sales of the game.

Actually this idea is not original other games already implement the dual system Protagonist. I want to experience how well KTC execute / implement this system. Hope not ruin my whole experience when playing Atelier series...

Will the fanatic fanbase that bought the original game and before Escha & Logy or one that disliked will win ?

Or the new fanbase that love the featured male protagonist ?

After all, the money created to make such game must be turned into profit. If no one is buying then ...
    Let's see :3