Disgaea D2 “Worse Than Ever”

disgaea-d2-001_0.jpg

disgaea-d2-025.jpg

disgaea-d2-028.jpg

disgaea-d2-136.jpg

Just released PS3 RPG Disgaea D2 is being heralded as the “worst” (that is, most ominous, malign and wicked) game in the series yet – and impressive it most certainly looks.

The latest trailers, including what may be a suspiciously high quality anime opening:

“Worst” yet it may certainly be, boasting more demons than ever, headed by Laharl and Etna and with lesser favourites such as Fuuka returning via DLC – although the PS1 quality graphics and shameless reusing of the same sprites through half a dozen different games also suggest this may be an effective description whatever the reading.

This being Disgaea’s 10th anniversary game, gameplay and graphical innovations are, fittingly enough, almost completely absent – not that fans seem likely to complain given what is on offer:

disgaea-d2-001_0.jpg
disgaea-d2-132.jpg
disgaea-d2-133.jpg
disgaea-d2-134.jpg
disgaea-d2-135.jpg
disgaea-d2-136.jpg
disgaea-d2-137.jpg

The game is on sale now.

02:17 20/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

I'll still get this game even if it went 8-bit
    and those who doesn't like this game can go suck a ****

02:34 20/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

Supporting this!
    Graphics fetishists are out of place here.
    Disgaea is meant to be fun in its own way...
    Only thing bothering me are their looks in the anime sequences. Feel off.

That aside, "shameless reusing of the same sprites through half a dozen different games"
    /facepalm
    Go play those famous FPS...what was their title again?
    Call of honored Warfare...?

Comment by Gigavolt
    10:37 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll get it, but i'm not gonna lie. NIS, Idea Factory, and Gust has like literally three types of games. Stuff that looks like Disgaea, Atelier stuff, then that stuff that place like Hyperdimension IE:Trinty Souls, Mugen Soul(slight variation), Trinity Universe. All of which I own. God damn it.

Comment by Gigavolt
    10:39 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Typos everywhere. -_-

Have fun grinding your ass off in a game with a bare bones story full of generic anime cliches.

Comment by jr2nd
    03:32 20/03/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

we will! :) you go back to cod!

03:32 20/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

The game never made itself popular for its plots: we all know how cheesy they can be.

Good graphics and good storylines are, whoever likes it or not, optional for any game. The only mandatory factor for a game to be good is Gameplay, and Disgaea series can certainly deliver on that regard.

So, as you can see, with plot being optional here, absolutely no one (but you) cares about its plot or generic characters (generic NOW though: they used to be original back on D1 times. The game is THAT old). It is a videogame, not an anime. Get over it, move on.

12:47 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The endgame bosses are optional and are there for those who like the grinding.
    If you just want to finish the story, you can just play the story stages and repeat them once in a while if you need. Not much grinding is needed.

06:38 21/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, Chen-04, I was speaking on general terms regarding the gameplay factor (as in, what most people say about it). It is certainly plausible and acceptable for some others to prefer the... peculiar plots in Disgaea rather than the gameplay.

My brother, for example, decided not to play the game since it "requires too much thinking and repetition", but he still had enjoyable "WTF moments" watching the plot unfold, and so did I.

So, yes, if someones likes Disgaea's plots and does not like its gameplay a lot, I would say it makes a lot of sense, even if it is not the most common outcome for this kind of games. That just proves how much potential this game has: people can choose what to like about it, and how to play it, as a result.

03:26 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah, the kind of ppl that have the free time for this...

04:36 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, the way is the goal...like they say.

Don't those boring shooters have grinding included as well? Rank whatdoiknow and such?

Comment by Chen-04
    05:08 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

"Gameplay, and Disgaea series can certainly deliver on that regard."

Funny, I like Disgaea for the wacky story, but never got far in any iteration because, in my opinion, the gameplay sucks. ^^

Comment by SpideyPHL

Grind (aka the poor man's substitute for actual game content) does not a good game make. I agree that you don't need great graphics to make a game, but if they're charging full price (likely higher than we'd pay in the US here in Japan for a niche game like this) I expect that money to be going to production values and not to forcing me to level to 9999 to be able to beat a handful of fights.

22:31 23/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

What bothers me really is that the idiots don't make movement and skill choice undoable seperately.
    If you messed up your character gets send back to the panel and you can get them out again just to undo your action choice.
    That and that they make PS2 graphic games for PS3 and PSV while it could still run on PS2 and PSP.
    For that they can go to hell the most.

06:47 21/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a Disgaea game on my PSP but I just couldn't finish it. It was way too OVERWHELMING for me. Too much stuff to do in too little time. Don't get me wrong i love the game but when you have a hard time struggling to lv up to lv 50 and your lv can literately pass over 9000 the situation seems a little hopeless. Not to mention how many dungeons, endings, items, special moves, weapons, secret characters, and secret scenes that are in the thousands in this game. PLEASE ANYBODY TELL ME IM NOT ALONE WHEN I THINK THIS!!

16:01 23/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

There are methods to level a lot faster than that. Just look at a maxing guide on gamefaqs.

07:57 21/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Disgaea is that kind of game that I like with this gameplay...
    Dunno, it has some "charm" that makes me want to play the series all around...
    Tough I can play only Disgaea 1 (DS) and Phantom Brave (Wii) unless I missed something?
    (Of course there is still emulation but that's bad-bad)

Even 8-bit games at least had new sprites for the sequel, you know...

13:29 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well the sprites are new... which anyone who actually plays the game would know. Just sayin.

They are new. But still severely lacking in quality and expression

One of those great example of keeping to the roots while still caring for it's visuals is Pokemon.

Disgaea now is just lasy with it's visual department. The least that they can give to us is "new" visuals for the characters.

03:08 20/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

There go another 200 hours of my life. Damn you, Nippon Ichi!

03:20 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

And we still have to complete Compile Hearts' Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory...

13:56 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Fallen Angel Flonne, YES!!!!!

16:31 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Magical Girl Flonne, Yes Please!!!

Comment by Rya
    19:24 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Magical Girl Etna DLC, OMG!
    You know it will happen...

06:49 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

200? I'm on 20,000 hours. I just beat the latest disgaea after 3 years yesterday. *sigh* here we go again.

Comment by Reisyukaku
    01:12 20/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Well, I've only ever played these games for Etna anyways :p

06:51 21/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck yeah i love Etna and fioone as well. And it looks like they kept Etna in those hot pants. Hell yeah now i can fap easy.

Comment by 19th
    06:06 20/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Again? Another game with more DLC?

Why don't they just go back to their old ways and sell the complete game as a full game.

Don't even feel like pirating it when I hear about DLC antics these days.

game developers gotta eat

15:41 23/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

you mean big greedy corpos dont you? developers get paid even if the business goes bankrupt

03:14 20/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Is mid-boss back too?

03:26 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Games are meant to be played and to have fun in the process, not to look at some pretty colors and beautiful graphics for 25+ hours. Just because the sprites and graphics aren't on the same level as Final Fantasy XIII and everything that follows after it, Black ops 2 and Mass Effect 3 doesn't make it a bad game. I personally play games for:
    The game-play (my favorite genres are rpg, jrpg, hack and slash; least favorite are fps and racing games).
    Ost (because you need good music, and preferably some nice sound effects, to make a game truly awesome).
    The story.
    And in (almost) last place the graphics.

05:54 21/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Racing is awesome, played WipEout?

06:39 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. That is what's wrong with the current gaming community today. Would rather argue about graphics first before game play. It's pathetic. Games used to be about having fun, now its about faggots arguing whether GTA's water graphics look better on the PS3 or Xbox 360 or PC lmao.

04:22 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I love the Disgaea games. The interactions between the characters make me giggle like a little girl.

It also helps that I'm prone to losing myself in tactical combat games. The item world certainly doesn't make it easy to pull myself away from the game.

04:42 21/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not seeing any gameplay with sexy girLaharl. If she's not playable, I'd scream worst game ever, too!

11:38 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Pictures 15-16
    FU-SI-ON---HA

18:22 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

playing in middle of a clas in the ds, class ended, closed ds, went to library chated a bit, planned to play another ds game, pushed game card... wait, I didn't save, so without releasing the game card oppened my ds to find myself in the item world no saving near and my last save was a long time ago, so what did I do? play until save point while holding down the game card, it really tookme a while to get out.

Comment by Rya
    16:05 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

With Fuka and Desco, Etna and Flonne (and that other Overlord) and hopefully Fenrich and Artina you can't go wrong. So many jokes possible. Let's wait and see if the story is somewhat more interesting this time around (I doubt it).

13:53 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Why am I coming back here? I know that whenever there is something being released this site will bash it, never check their sources and most above all will simply try to make it all sound as bad as possible.

People believe what is written here and start sharing this "info".

Isn´t it just time for Sankaku Complex to become a challanger to danboru or something as a pure image board so one can come here for images instead of badly written articles and only bashing of every single thing in the world?

13:26 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

So you do understand Disgaea!

13:23 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Disgaea? Enhanced even marginally?!

GET IN MY BELLY.

14:00 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope the English Version will come out soon

I'll buy it for the sake of Etna

Does't care if the sprites are reuse

Another hundred of hours will go away again , lol

Even Mao has spent 4 Million hours of his life just to play Disgaea

Bad engrishhhh~

06:41 21/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You only made 2 spelling mistakes: "Does't" (you meant "I don't") and "has spent" (remove "has").

14:42 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Make a Uber Priny God 9999
    Then Throw Him

BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Profitsssss

15:25 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Already wasted 270 hours of my life playing Disgaea DS... thanks god Im a nintendo fanboy and will never play this game... stupidly adictive and long disgaea -.-

00:17 22/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

There is a constent tread with fickle fans hateing what they are a fan of as time passes for stupid reasons...
    This is nothing new

Comment by Reo
    08:18 22/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Should I play the previous series before this? I'd only watched the anime.
    and what's the charm point of the previous series? is it the story? or gameplay?

22:49 22/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Still better then any FF X+ if you ask me.