gits-arise-surfaces-001.jpg
gits-arise-surfaces-002.jpg

Microsoft have announced they will be co-opting Ghost in the Shell: Arise to promote the Japanese launch of their Surface line of tablets, with plenty of product placement in the offing should anyone get the mistaken impression a futuristic cyberbrain is any replacement for a 2012 Microsoft tablet.

Microsoft’s brass invited along the Arise production staff for their Japanese Surface launch event, showing off their tie-up and giving them some Surfaces in the process:

gits-arise-surfaces-003.jpg
gits-arise-surfaces-004.jpg
gits-arise-surfaces-005.jpg
gits-arise-surfaces-006.jpg
gits-arise-surfaces-007.jpg

A strangely appropriate pairing of Windows 8 with Arise has only been averted by Microsoft’s decision to spare the Japanese market a release of the Windows 8 Pro model.

17:07 18/03/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Needs more Pizza Hut product placement.

19:18 18/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

"It's like people only do things because they get paid... and that's just really sad"

Comment by Crowbar
    10:12 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't talk about this anymore. It's giving me a headache.

Needs more hentai. yup, i said it.

16:36 12/05/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

someone should !!"rule" this. right?

21:53 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

or Domino Pizza...

Comment by darkfader
    21:28 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

NEEDS FREE PIZZA!

3 pissa 4 ewewry1!!!11111

21:30 18/03/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

If it means the show will get a proper budget, then I'll deal with it.

Comment by KingFisher
    04:25 19/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Like anyone wants Windows 8. Piece of crap that it is.

Comment by Riiku
    21:17 18/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Fuck this, I'm all Android

22:15 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

You ain't hipster enough, I'm browsing this page in binary code.

02:08 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

N00b. I'm browsing this site straight out of the Ethernet cable.

Comment by Black Mage
    07:51 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Kamen no Maid Guy is that you?

01:58 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I thought hipster is something describing the fools who buys overpriced Apple shit because they are 'premium'?

01:31 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nobody knows what a hipster is anymore.

08:07 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry troll witch. Windows has the largest server share.

Comment by Black Mage
    07:53 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anon 02:16

Most servers run on Linux or some form of Unix.

Most of IBM's uses linux on their mainframes and servers.

08:40 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

There are plenty of normal everyday users working very well, thank you, with the number of desktop environments available for Linux. And many of them would call themselves hip, if by hip you mean: This shit just works.
    So you like watching pirated animu? Get Windows. Get a copy of MPC, get copies of a ton of filters and encoding software, listen to fansubbers bitch about VLC. Tweak the software until you turn green------->watch animu.
    So you like watching pirated animu ? Get a Linux distro. Install mplayer and whatever front end GUI suits you're pleasure---->watch animu.

19:51 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@08:40

If you have to tweak so much, you're doing something wrong.

It's actually like this:
    Get Windows, install CCCP, install MRC or ZoomPlayer -> Enjoy

For Linux it's more like:
    Get Linux, figure out how to install licensed codecs, install a player, figure out what GUIs there are,, install one -> Enjoy

And hey, unlike many haters I used Win/Linux/MacOS in everyday life, so I know what I'm talking about.
    Linux requires a lot more tweaking and techsavvyness to use. Win and MacOS are way easier for techretards to use. If you want pretty much every Software there is, go for Windows. You're a lot more restricted on MacOS (if you don't want to run a VM)

My main OS is Win8. Hate me if you want, but for me it's better than any other Windows. Haters either haven't even tried it out for more than 10 mins or are just too lazy to change some of their habits. If you do, it can make most things a lot faster.
    And I enjoy the Metro Apps, I really miss them on my Work PC with Win7.

13:59 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

(:~0)

13:59 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

PPPPFFFFFFSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTT............

I'm using a Teletype.

triti

03:46 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@19:51
    No, it's mostly "get Ubuntu and doubleclick whatever you want to play". Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) has licensed all the important codecs just to make it easy for you.

@03:03
    Ever heard of the obscure Linux distribution known as Android? I heard it takes like a Master's degree in CompSci to understand how it works!

12:04 22/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You can say anything about your godlike Linux OS, but it's still damn ugly, nowhere near prettiness of Windows, let alone OSX.

I tried latest ubuntu and wtf, what the hell they're doing all these years. They can't even make proper UI like Windows 9x. The fonts seems out of place. And that Unity thing is pure shit.

05:21 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

03:03 anon you haven't seen Linux have you? what you are talking about is most likely DOS. Get real the only people who want Windows are companies. For everyone else it some type Unix of unix OS (i.e MacOS,Linux,Android).

05:43 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

linux a shit

I'd think hipsters would use Linux, since nobody else does.

Linux is mostly for scientists and programmers, hipsters are mostly morons, so I would doubt they use it. Handling a console command to manage system is not for them. Thus I'm sure Linux is not popular with hipsters. Even simple windows-like versions.

The person about Apple was mostly right, they buy overpriced brand products to stand out, but well Apple is now so mainstream u can't really call it hipster type nowadays.

16:25 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Why is no-one giving the new Ghost in the Shell a chance? You haven't even seen it yet.

Comment by Erranty
    18:23 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

They changed the Director and the Composer, again. So the feel of the show will be drastically different, just like the switch from the Original to SAC.

They've messed up a lot of things already in it that you can see in the Trailer, such as Motoko's fighting style.

Now they're going to have product placement that would be incredibly low tech by the show's timeline standards?

Fuck, I'd never use a Microsoft OS for my brain's security, or any security for that matter.

Comment by Black Mage
    22:15 18/03/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yah it would be out of place for the main cast to be using.

I could see them being used by some guy interested in retro tech like vacuum tubes.

16:08 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

SAC was a lot fucking closer to the original, than the Oshii movie was.

Comment by jikap
    18:51 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Indeed, the blue screen of death would become quite literal...

16:27 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Just, some of the new character designs are going to be a little hard to swallow.

You know what? They were saying the same thing about the Lupin III spin-off with Fujiko as the lead. I mean that turned out pretty good.

02:07 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@01:56

See, exactly. If it's bad, then it's bad. I'm the biggest GiTS fan out there. I learnt Japanese using the show transcripts from Standalone Complex for god's sake. You people are ready to crucify it because they changed the character design of the main character.

Comment by Chen-04
    17:41 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

No, it didn't.
    But then again, I never liked anything with Lupin III. It's about time for the IV. to appear, anyway.

Comment by Erranty
    05:38 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@21:49

I haven't watched a new anime in 2 years. And I certainly won't be watching this week by week.

I'll most likely wait for the BD release, then torrent it at high quality with subtitles from sub groups I trust to do a good job.

21:49 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

To the people downvoting my comment because I like the stuff that you don't like: when this comes out you're going to be watching this every week as it comes out for the entire season. So play your denial game all you like, you self-loathing pricks.

This is nothing like the "change" the Fujiko anime made. If nothing else, it had the advantage of seeming like a separate series from Lupin from the get-go, it's Fujiko's series not Lupin's. Even when Lupin did show up, he completely looked like good old Lupin, although "filtered" through a different artstyle (which really was just how the characters originally looked but with a manga-ish tone).

And that anime certainly didn't turn out bad.

This on the other hand already is devoid of a lot of the atmosphere and style that so many like about the past iterations. I'll watch it to find out for myself, of course, but if it turns out to be the worst GitS ever it's not like I'm gonna be trying to defend it and it'll be a sad stain on this amazing series. I hope it doesn't come to that but the signs aren't pointing completely to the positive at this point.

Why are creators of classic anime/manga like GitS and Eva just hanging off their respective series like George Lucas and Star Wars anyways? Why can't they introduce completely new anime to the modern market and wow us all over again? Isn't that what legends of their field are supposed to do?

20:34 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude, you're on SanCom. Prejudice always prevails in here.

17:16 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

This looks as awkward as the people they are trying to sell these things to.

Comment by Myballz
    07:43 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You can't blame them for cashing in, Microsoft offer to do business with this venture for a Anime that Otaku like or dislike in this case.

17:14 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I like the first pic. Looks like Section 9 has been given Surfaces and aren't happy about it. Aramaki looks like he can't figure out how to put the two parts together.

21:04 18/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yeah, and Togusa looks really pissed off.

08:33 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

he wants his Mateba back

11:27 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It pays the bills, I have no problem with that.

04:01 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Don'tt get the point of this article, unless this site is getting paid to help get the word out about more advertisments.

00:03 19/03/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

seriously i don't see reason for all the fuss of the new direction of the new ghost in the shell.