Kill Me Baby’s 686 Twitter Avatars: “One For Each Buyer”

The official Kill Me Baby site has published 686 Twitter avatars for fans of the anime – one for every person who bought a copy of the first volume of the anime, marking perhaps the first time an anime has been masochistic enough to make light of its own dismal sales figures.

Despite enjoying a modest following and being well regarded, sales of the show’s first volume were almost at levels low enough to shame distributors into not publishing any number at all – something which seems to have stung the producers into providing the avatars.

The official rationale is that it is a celebration of the show’s Twitter account reaching 10,000 followers, and a shrewd one at that, as it swiftly earned them several thousand more followers, not that this ratio of followers to buyers is particularly inspiring.

The gesture has also been hailed as an example of “godly” customer service – with a unique avatar now provided for every buyer.

The icons are available on their site (and are of course suitable for using on other sites as well).

14:50 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The best part of the show was the ED.

22:53 22/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

URL list of all images. You can copy and dl with flashget.

17:18 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Better question what was break even price :)
    At 7000 yen a box set I get 1 Episode

18:37 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Welp, seeing as how the Manabi Line's around 3000-4000 sales for an anime to break even it'd mean KMB vol 1 should've sold for approx 30-40k'ish JPY, so roughly the same price as a Fate/Zero blu-ray box set full of extras.
    Why're you asking?

10:54 22/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

That's hilarious that they would do that. My interest in this show has increased a notch...

07:04 20/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The manga was better. 4koma for the win. I enjoyed the brown haired girl's voice actress tho.

05:37 21/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Simple to say, if it ever was to get picked up for NA distibuting they are surely going to bet it for a sea-level price.

13:51 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm gonna be killed on the comments for this, but whatever... I never read replies anyways.
    Truth is, I kinda liked it.
    Ok, it wasn't comedy gold, and the only reason I watched it was because I loved the yonkoma... I also think the adaptation could've been much better. I know I had my share of disappointments while watching it.
    But I kept watching it because of Agiri-san. Despite the anime having lots of boring moments and not a very good comedy, I always had a laugh for some reason when Agiri showed up. One of those cases of a secondary character stealing the entire show.
    That or for some reason the character really really works for me.
    Also, some may disagree, but I think what most people hated about it was wasted potential... it was disappointing for fans of the manga, which was plenty fun for me.
    Yasuna became a bit too irritating, and Sonya didn't develop well...
    Perhaps another studio could've turned this into comedy gold.
    But oh well, here's my confession.

17:33 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I loved it, true it was a bit slow some episodes but damn i laughed hard at some of it.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli

I didn't like the show. Quite frankly, it could've worked better as one of those 3~4 minute shows.

20:32 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Same here, I try watch 3 episode before stop it. Not for me I guess. Well, good for people who enjoy it.

It's ok when viewed one ep a week, but it you were to marathon it you'd get real bored.

11:37 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It sold 0.77 frt!

11:34 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I really don't see the point in twitter or other social networking services. It's just a good way to stalk people. Those twitter avatars are pretty lame too, it looks like they just cropped bits of it from the anime and giving it out for "free" after you make a purchase.

Interesting marketing tactic.

>I really don't see the point in twitter or other social networking services.

Talk to friends, plan events and send out invitations, establish groups for swapping info, etc.

13:09 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

But whats the point of taking pictures of your food or telling everyone you hate Mondays, or poking? Constantly checking for updates just to be sure you don't miss anything. Having 100+ friends when probably you only speak to just a handful of them. Adding people just to "keep in touch" when you probably won't speak to them in days, months, or even years. In my view, it just seems like people just want to know what everyone is doing at all times, which is stalking.

14:05 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It will look bad if you only look at the bad side of it...
    For me it's a good way to get at-the-moment local news faster than anywhere else, share interests by building a network around it, and yes, why not to keep in touch with friends who use Twitter?
    Social networks is all about what your friends are using.
    Provided that I don't use as much anymore since most people I know switched completely to Facebook...
    I like to add friends to let them know I'm there if they need me, even if we've not spoken in years. Specially people who are living a bit far.
    The only thing I don't understand are all those complaints about too many friends, certain types of small talk, or certain pictures.
    It's easy enough to avoid them, and if you don't think it's worth easy enough to close your account. But just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it's useless for everyone, and everyone must be stalkers or whatever. Perhaps it's just you who don't know how to use it.

Wow people getting downvoted because the truth hurts.

The anime was so dry and boring, and I honestly gave it a chance, but after 6 episodes in I couldn't take it. If anything we're not blaming the franchise itself, just the studio who made the anime.

Comment by Katsura
    11:36 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Step 1: Copy image.
    Step 2: Crop out everything except your desired avatar.
    Step 3: Use it as your avatar.

And there you have it folks.

Comment by vivster
    11:50 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Or, you know, you could just right click and save the avatar you like since they are already separate pictures.
    *facepalm*

The avatars make me want to watch it.

13:10 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Expect to be disappointed.

The show was totally degraded in production. If it would be done by other studious, it might be better. As it is, it's like Nichijou rip-off only much worse.

Comment by kintama00
    12:48 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

so.. wut r the chances, for the first time this year I'm listenin "Futari no Kimochi no Honto no Himitsu" come to check this site.. and.. lol.. Kill Me Baby! :s

Comment by Taylor
    11:30 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

686 wow I didn't think any series did that bad. I think that a nice gesture what they did for the fans though right? I'll buy a copy just for that. The brown haired character was kinda cute too.

13:02 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll buy it soon as it's released here. Planned to anyways.

Comment by Taylor
    13:27 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

lots of faded comments. someone is tsundere over kill me baby.

I think we all agree Kill Me Baby was unwatchable.

>Crap designs
    >No story
    >Weak-ass comedy
    >Cliche City
    >And best of all they thought this would be "good."

Director: lol FUCK YEAH!!! THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! AND IT GOT MOE IN IT TOO!!! DOUBLE FUCK YEAH!!!! (^o^)

Viewers: >_>

Director: LOL!!! WHATEVER! HATERS GIVE ME STRENGTH!!! (^O^)

Comment by คภєк๏
    23:48 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

"I think we all agree Kill Me Baby was unwatchable."

Hardly.

Comment by KIRILIA
    13:55 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Kill me baby~?
    I like the show~
    Avatars~?
    Nope, I can do it myself~

Comment by John Hayabusa
    14:30 19/01/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Actually, if only this show used Agiri-san (and probably that unused character voiced by Rie Kugiyama) more, it could have been better.

Nooooooooooo, of course the Japanese don't pirate their own anime. Heaven forbid, they certainly aren't like any of the other barbarian races outside of glorious Nihon.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli

Aww, now I feel bad for that show. But just remembering how dumb it was, I feel not so bad after all.

Cheap and shitty JC Staff animation probably had something to do with the low sales numbers.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli

Jeez, talking about this dumb show can even affect my grammar.

Comment by Kohaku

I agree I expected a lot better, the show was really boring with just a bit of good comedy, and I'm a comedy-whore, so yeah it was really weak...