lightning-style.jpg

The newly revealed ensemble Lightning will be sporting for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (or what might otherwise be Final Fantasy XIII-3) has quickly become the subject of ridicule amongst Final Fantasy fans, and despair amongst Lightning lovers.

The new trailer accompanying it:

Online there has been a less than appreciative response to Lightning’s new look:

“Why can you see her pantsu?”

“This is awful… They should have kept the look from the first one.”

“What is she wearing…”

“How can she even move dressed like that?”

“I like Lightning but this is awful!”

“Even in fiction and fantasy a certain sense of reality is required…”

“Either make it easy to move or hard to move, just make up your mind.”

“And she looked so cool in her regular get up.”

“Is that part of an aircraft stuck to her arm there?”

“What about those sunglasses!”

lightning-sunglasses.jpg

“I want to see her trying to ride in an aircraft – it’ll be funny seeing what kind of seating arrangement they come up because of that ridiculous outfit.”

“Nomura’s design sense basically froze 10 years ago and hasn’t changed since, so this is to be expected.”

“Looks more like she crawled out of an Assassin’s Creed game really.”

“Chuunibyou level design right there.”

“They are still set on continuing this series?”

“Why are they stuck on FF13? Did they run out of money to finance any new titles perhaps?”

“It’s bad enough that 13 was such charmless rubbish, hurry up and come out with 15 already!”

“They need to change the numbering for this series now.”

“Why continue 13 again, it’s not as if the series is even that popular. How about 10-3 instead?”

“I’m surprised she made it off that train without getting caught on the straps.”

“Not sexy and not cool, just who benefits from a stupid design like this”?

“Why is the only unprotected area her crotch?”

03:08 25/12/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Why this town is so fucking square?

18:35 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Because its square... enix?

09:01 29/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

just what i thought while whatching the trailer.
    The Towns look so stupidly empty and loveless, that i wont even bother playing this game.
    I did stop at FF 10-2 mainly because this were the Games where the World was still filled with something, maybe it was "life" as I fail to be able to put it in words.
    But the newer Titles just add some HD-Graphics and now everything is like 10 times as great.
    I mean like, are they totally nuts now?

because its made by square enix

05:07 25/12/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Dude, don't explain the joke. It's not funny when you do.

04:34 25/12/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

ba dum tss!

04:25 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.4)

harr harr

00:33 30/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Quick we'll get a gun and then pass it around to shoot ourselves. you first.

15:15 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

the world is Square:D

03:47 25/12/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

“Why is the only unprotected area her crotch?”

i loled

15:14 25/12/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It's an effective way to lower her male enemies guards:P

10:03 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

ahaha tis funny point, that is constantly ignored in hundreds and hundreds of game character designs for women. They just have no plausibility and have everything exposed, which maybe awesome sometimes. But does get tiresome.

08:15 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

it is called "The Zettai Ryouiki"

11:51 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

“Why is the only unprotected area her crotch?”

That's so tentacle monsters don't have to rip her battle gear, to get the "prize".

14:04 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

SHE NEEDS TO PEE OKAY.

18:28 27/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

“Why is the only unprotected area her crotch?”

Target her weak point for massive damage :O

09:04 29/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

read this and stop being a retard please
    [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tentacle_erotica[/link]

good point, women are always peeing. and she'll be peeing even more after those tentacle monsters inject her full of little tentacle babies.

Comment by luca
    05:08 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If you count that cape as protection for her bare back, that is.

04:16 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

The first time I saw her photo the first thing I thought: Gundam!

Comment by cats2
    09:36 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.4)

Same here, after the initial laugh out loud reaction.

09:40 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

its gundam lightning, and she'll be transforming to a waverider mode soon

02:32 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

The ONLY time she looked cool was in the first game. I'm shocked if anyone sensible would look at this design and think its alright, let alone smart/cool/practical.

Comment by HouseLife
    04:56 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I really enjoyed the subtlety and focus of the first two games. Most people hate them for pretty stupid reasons, but even I won't defend Nomura's decision here.

Granted I'm not against them trying new things since haters will hate no matter what they do and that's already been proven. But the benefit is at least you can change her outfit apparently in this game. At least based on what a friend told me.

I refuse to even watch the trailer so I can buy the game without any preconceived notions about it and let my actual play experience be my own. The outfit won't ruin the game for me at least, but hopefully it's got purpose. I just want to see the completion of the trilogy, because it is an exceptional game series so far.

06:27 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I dunno why people are pinning this on Nomura when he didn't design the outfits. He drew the characters and some concepts but there's someone else to blame for these final fantasy faux pas.

09:29 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

whoever is to blame , that new skin and more than anything else ...the shield , is totaly crap , the arms doesn't suit the rest at all , SE should stop making games and more Final Fantasy that are total shits . advent children was awesome , that's what they are good at , making movies .

Comment by Momo
    08:37 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Because he designed Lightning? as stated by the team.

15:53 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

They are trying to cater to the people who whined about why the first two aren't Open world games. And guess what, people STILL aren't fucking satisfied.

What's even more lol worthy is that 90% of all Main FF games are completely linear to a point where you can do sidequests GASP just like XIII.

XIII featured just as much player customzation in how you chose to play the game. Most people probably tried to just auto battle it ......

16:56 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

HouseLife, you missed the part where she's wandering around in City 17. Actually, that was the entire trailer. Oh, and she was cosplaying as Batman or something at the end. Does Batman where fancy bat-glasses? Let's just assume that he does.

Comment by HouseLife
    07:32 26/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

And you missed the part where I specifically said I will not do any research or watch anything related to the game so I buy it and start it with a clean perception. Unlike many of the morons peppering the internet, I actually do in fact form my own opinions about something and ignore all the stupid people until I form that opinion. Bitching about something before it's even begun has wasted a lot of my time in the past where I listened to peoples' opinions and they turned out utterly incorrect, or just negative and stupid. So I gave up.

Nothing is subtle about Final Fantasy XIII. Everything about it screams, "LOOK AT ME AND THE SPECTACLE THAT I AM". The level design is not subtle, "Go Straight! LOOK AT HOW GRAND I AM!"; the combat is not subtle, "Stagger enemy, launch, kill it before it comes down."; the characters are not subtle either as they are all blatant, and obvious, cliches except for Fang. Nothing was subtle about it.

06:15 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I beat the game 100% because I have a compulsion to finish what I start. It has no subtelty and no depth. There are 3 enemies in the entire game that require you to actually think and none of them are part of the main storyline.

08:04 30/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As HouseLife said I myself play FF games pretty much for the STORY and characters only. If the story is good <3

Like FF12 -.- now THATS the worst FF game ever IMO. None of the characters were special or you felt for, atleast I didnt. The story was really really bad and boring.
    Combat -.- combat would have been good if they didnt have gambits as like 2/3 of the game I didnt have to push anything anymore. I mean I didnt move a finger at the last boss -.- and that was without gridning my characters OP.

The only good thing about FF12 was the big world.

Comment by HouseLife
    07:30 26/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

There was definitely subtlety. I wasn't speaking about designs or things like that, but the actual acting. I honestly don't care whether people liked the acting or characters or not, but there are two things that are true: The acting was solid, and there was a lot of unspoken emotion that was conveyed very well. If you didn't feel it, that doesn't mean it wasn't there to feel if you wanted to. Characters or scenario may not be to your liking, but it was there, and I respected it.

People who judged the game on linearity and gameplay often seem to not play for the plot. People complain about the classic style gameplay, however don't know what they want as an alternative. If they want western-style, get a western game like Assassin's Creed. As people describe, it sounds like it may be more like that now anyway, so who knows. I anticipate the complaints anyway.

Either way, I've known since day one that many people didn't actually judge the game themselves. As usual with the sheeple mentality, as soon as one person complained about the perceived linearity or something like that, more people joined in to complain before they even played it. They already judged it as crap before starting and began a brand new gaming experience with a critical eye and forgot what it was to play the game for itself.

I've said it countless times, they made a mistake when they didn't unlock the full gameplay functionality earlier, and failed to integrate some game world lore into the plot. Major issues, but not game-breaking at all in terms of overall experience for me.

Comment by Momo

There's a lot of subtlety. Play it again.

Comment by Momo

And you haven't played the game.

03:02 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

Just close your door already, squareenix.

03:08 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

it looks like some generic prince of persia clone, mixed with a generic jrpg.

14:54 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Altair you must assassinate, wait your not altair

20:31 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Bayonetta XIII, it is...or Lightning May Cry x)

13:10 26/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

indeed she will, of embarrassment.

13:43 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

dunno the white cape and all the running/climbing kinda reminded me off assassins creed

Comment by Lee Kun
    02:01 25/12/2012 # ! Good (+0.4)

I didn't play the first two, more than likely won't pick this up either.

09:39 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Final Fantasy games after X are a fucking joke.

20:55 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

XI and XII says hi. So far only 13 was the only thing that failed in pretty much everything in gameplay

15:15 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

X was a joke too, just not funny

22:04 25/12/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

stupid square enix,,,, JUST MAKE FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE IN HD DAMMIT!!!!!!!

01:30 27/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

7 was crap. Gtfo.

06:06 27/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes it crap for some but a majority love it and ff7 not going to please everyone just like any other type of popular mainstream

02:28 27/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Remake of the most overrated RPG of all history? No.

08:38 30/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

How is it overrated? Only thing I see are people just hating on FF7 because it the most popular and you guys can't see to accept it ,just hate on it for that reason

13:14 26/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

One day they'll do it... but it'll be handled by the chinks that originally handled FFXIV. Guaranteed.