Top 10 Shoujo Anime Even Guys Can Enjoy

tonari-no-kaibutsu-kun-yoshida-haru-mizutani-shizuku-illustration-by-hiyo-kiki.jpg

Those anime which target a female audience – shoujo or otherwise – yet can still somehow be enjoyed by males have been ranked, opening up a wealth of possibilities for the more adventurous male anime fan.

The ranking:

1. Fruits Basket

2. Chihayafuru

3. Nodame Cantabile

4. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

5. Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 1000%

6. Kamisama Kiss

7. Kimi ni Todoke

8. Sukitte Ii Na Yo

9. Card Captor Sakura

10. Shugo Chara

Comment by Windknight111
    12:40 05/11/2012 # ! Quality (+0.9)

CardCaptor Sakura

Showing me all the relationships since childhood.

Loli and teacher? Check.
    Yaoi? Check.
    Yuri? Check.
    Incest? Check.

What I miss?

Comment by Renzo
    16:58 05/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

You miss :

Shota and Teacher ( adding up there )

Again, read the manga of CCS to see my statement

15:44 05/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

you missed bestiality

17:06 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Kero becomes a 'beast' in the last few arcs, I think that counts.

Comment by Shaolan-kun
    12:57 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Regular male/female? Sometimes it's nice for a change.

14:18 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Shota and Teacher: Check. (Eriol x Mizuki)

So true, but it's quite disturbing to read the "real story version" manga after watching the censored TV show.

Comment by dante0397
    16:53 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I do believe it is kinda strange that it wasn't on top. I mean god dammit I've watched the series since I was like 10 years old.

16:45 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

A boy's pure love and dedication to protect the girl he loves without expecting anything in return?

You simply don't see a main male character like that in recent anime anymore...most male leads these day don't have to do anything and just be "kind and gentle" (sometimes not even that), and all the female characters will fall for him.

Well, in Kannazuki no Miko, Soma was like that as well...he gave everything for the girl he loves till the he could give no more with the last spark of his life to try to protect her...shame about the show is being mainly yuri-thremed and he got NTRed by a girl lol

01:34 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Male protagonists are dying out anyway. they're in the way of meaningless moeblobbing.

23:23 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You do hardly see that anymore, maybe they think people got tired of blind manly love.
    I do think shows like The world god only Knows have an interesting male lead so it's not just another trashy harem.

19:08 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Btw, Chikane gave up way more for Himeko. Also Soma did expect certain thing in return: that Himeko would love him back. Only Chikane didn't demand anything. Soma is just minor side character made only to emphasis the main pair and obviously had no chance to begin with.

04:28 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

We'd just have to agree to disagree.

I know people like the Chikane X Himeko pairing, but to brush Soma off as a minor side character is going too far. The fact was that Soma has been the one that's really protected Himeko from the very beginning, go up against the brother that he loves, and fought literally the last his breath, whereas while Chikane's intent was for the sake of protecting Himeko, she did it in a way seriously hurting her (physically and psychologically) in the process.

The only reason why Chikane was so memorable was because the show kept the viewers guessing the reasons behind her actions as it's been kept secret till toward the end...but the thing is if Soma didn't protect Himeko, she wouldn't had been alive long enough to even get to the point which Chikane sacrificed herself for her...

Comment by Yamato
    03:04 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh god, you reminded me of how lol-worthy the first episode of Kannadzuki no Miko was. Here you see this guy piloting a giant mecha whilst giving a hot-blooded statement about how he'll protect his girl, and at that very moment, said girl is making out with the school's diva. XD

07:42 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

the only anime that pops out in my mind when i heard about a boy's pure love and dedication to protect a girl is eureka 7 i like that one cause its about both the girl and the boy not just ones dedication.

Comment by Tasche
    13:03 05/11/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I actively enjoy watching 8 of the 10 titles mentioned. This season is fantastic for shoujo anime. Hurray. Ide have to list sukitte higher than kaibutsu, more romantic.

Comment by cerberus
    06:31 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Agree, this season is really good for shoujo anime

Comment by Alice
    14:25 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. Though if we're talking about shojo guys could enjoy, I'd definitely rank Kaibutsu higher than Sukitte, for the fact that it's more hilarious, better paced, and the animation is more colorful/action-oriented. Not saying Sukitte is bad by any means, but I think guys would enjoy Kaibutsu more.

23:59 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

yup, I'm a guy and I enjoy kaibutsu more :D

03:45 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty much. I wasn't all that fond of Sukitte (I thought it was rather hackneyed) but Kaibutsu is one of my favourite shows this season.

New episode tonight, yay.

04:57 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

agree Kaibutsu is beter for this topic

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    12:27 05/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

CCS? Sure, I'm all for loli mahou shoujo

Are you sure it's loli ? see the age description again

13:41 05/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Ouran Host Club and Kare Kano should be on this list. Hell even Wallflower is better than half of these.

Fruits Basket is old and turns shitty by episode 18.

15:51 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Totally agree, I don't generally like shoujo but Ouran was freakin hilarious and KareKano was good.

21:17 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

100% with you. I'd even add Nana, since even if i didn't like it too much, all fans of the series I know are in fact male.

Gay male, that is.

09:17 09/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

have to totally agree with you sirs! why no ouran?!

Comment by kazaza2
    00:15 06/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

How about some oldies:

Angelic Layer - I always thought of it as a shoujo mecha anime.

MariMite - C'mon what guy wouldn't care about Yumi and Sachiko? "Gokigen'yo!" (ごきげにょう!)

Pretear - A retelling of Snow White, Romance between Himino and the Leaf Knights!

Comment by Imyou
    03:40 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

ごきげんよう (ご機嫌よう)

Comment by coquette
    00:21 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Don't forget DNAngel while your at it!

20:36 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

MariMite was too boring for me. What was so good about it?

22:16 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

no NANA ? why

12:33 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is really good. It's really funny and the girl is not retarded.

13:33 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Holy crap Shugo Chara is on it <3

13:43 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

tonari no kaibutsu is really quite fun so far.

Comment by Alice
    14:35 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Always happy to see a list where Cardcaptor Sakura is featured. Sometimes I see it get overlooked these days when it's brought up, because some people have acquired the idea that it's a "loli" show that only creepy guys and children watch. Which saddens me, since it's my favorite show in the world.
    During my rewatches, it always amazes me how mature all of the characters are or turn out to be by the end. Seriously, all of those kids could have been in high school, and they wouldn't have felt out of place. Maybe Sakura a little for her naivete, and Syaoran at the beginning, but the rest almost had no business being elementary school students.

Comment by Alice
    15:02 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Also Fruits Basket is good, but loses points because the ending was crap. If anything should be at the top of this list, it's Ouran, but that didn't even make it for some inexplicable reason.

Comment by MegaplayNate
    05:18 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Watched Fruits basket, loved SCC, but i couldn't watch more than 3 episodes of kimi ni todoke because shota was way too girly, no decent guy reacts the way he does!

05:54 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Where the hell is Kare Kano??

06:13 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Wow, no Sailor Moon? I remember whatching it just before Dragon Ball was on, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was funny, had some awesome battles and did I mention it was funny? I enjoyed Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon before I found out they were different sides of the same coin, Shoujo and Shounen...

13:49 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The power of Wikipedia empowers me to reveal that Chihayafuru, by virtue of being publicated on the first josei magazine Be Love, is a josei.

(I'll admit that the thought it couldn't have been a shoujo never crossed my mind)

So, fail list is fail.

00:22 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I fuckin' love shoujo manga but I don't agree with a lot of these. Uta no Prince-sama? It's biggest redeeming feature is the hot guys, no way a male could watch that. Kamisama Kiss and Fruits Basket are a little too girly too. Cardcaptor Sakura and Shugo Chara are only on there for the pedos.

The rest are highly recommended though.

02:37 07/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Skip beat not being on the list. K.

12:09 07/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nodame Cantabile is amazing.
    And I was going to suggest Aria... but WTF it's shounen?!

Comment by Held
    12:30 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

guess noone remembers saiyuki :(

16:29 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Er....Saiyuki wasn't really a shojo anime. Probably even less so than Hakuouki. Setting aside the usual internet fanfic drama over the boyslove, it was a decent action show. You'd be nowhere closer to the mark in saying Bubblegum Crisis was a Mahou shojo anime.

16:47 05/11/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

You know what this list needs? More Vision of Escaflowne. It was technically a girl's show, but it had enough gore to offend Fox when they were airing it. I'm really surprised that Inuyasha's not on this list either, though the story arc did kind of plummet rather sharply after a while.

Oh, and Kimi ni Todoke? The chicks can keep that show. It was warm and fuzzy, but 2 seasons of the same crap bored me to tears.

Comment by cats2
    06:54 06/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Kimi ni Todoke was infuriating, and the same shit repeated to fucking death..

Seeing girls comment about loving it even admitting to how repetitive and not that great it was still makes me groan.

18:32 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Prefer Clannad and Clannad After Story to Kimi ni Todoke (both season).
    Clannad 1st season >> Kimi ni Todoke 2nd season

03:31 06/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

But Clannad isnt shoujo.

Comment by Renzo
    18:17 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The action is actually just decent.

Since all the main characters are male and the lack of female characters, plus to top it off, the male are all bishounens it's surely guaranteed that there are a wealthy internet fanfics of boyslove.

It's basically a reverse-harem show with bishounens + a little bit action and comedy.

( I prefer the live action show of this Gensou Maden Saiyuki )

23:42 05/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Saiyuki was #12 with 112 votes.