Outrage at “No Japs Allowed” Korean Cafe

no-japs-allowed-1_0.jpg

Korean net cafe signage informing patrons that the establishment enforces a strict “No Japs Allowed” policy – unless the prospective customer shouts “Dokdo is Korean territory!” three times – is currently attracting much attention online.

The sign was introduced by a South Korean net cafe in response to the continued existence of Japan and its nefarious insistence that the sovereignty of the islands in question should be determined by impartial UN adjudicators, and was soon proving popular on major Korean forums (although the absence of Japanese wording did not escape comment).

As with Japan and most of East Asia, Korea has no real laws against racial discrimination, let alone any official willingness to enforce them, and the sort of xenophobia Korea is known for makes even the likes of Japan look like a European-style multi-cultural paradise.

The Japanese Internet is as ever full of kind words for their excitable peninsular brethren and their unique approach to fostering goodwill amongst the Yamato, not least thanks to their mighty president’s recent and highly successful charm offensive:

“These guys are insane…”

“Who would go there anyway?”

“Nobody is going to Korea anyway, so who cares what they get up to.”

“Please do it over here in the pachinko parlours!”

“What a crude people.”

“Nice move – nobody who dislikes Korea would be going there anyway, so the only ones who’ll see this are the ones who didn’t dislike the place, not a state of affairs likely to continue with such a welcome.”

“More anti-Japanese marketing?”

“Could you actually get way with this in Japan?”

“If only they’d put this up at immigration.”

“This sort of crass racism only exposes you to ridicule.”

“Not embarrassed at all by this racist marketing of their cafe?”

“Not the first time they have been putting up ‘no Japanese’ signs…”

no-japs-allowed-2_0.jpg

Comment by cats2
    08:16 21/08/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Meanwhile the number of places that have "NO GAIJIN'S!!" is beyond absurd in Japan..

08:29 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

japan is so backward.

08:59 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.5)

South Korea, China, and North America are pretty fucking backwards as well.

09:41 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

I agree with Anon 08:59. I was from a place where Japanese, Chinese, India and Eurpoean live in the same city. Then I moved to NY and I couldnt stand it in the city and I moved to the suburban area. I found that everyone is a little bit racist inside but some people are just a-holes. Over all, humans are racist because they need to define "them" and "us", "family" and "strangers", "you" and "me". This is inside our genes to ensure survival. Trust me, for some people, if today is the end of the world, they can just let their spouse and child to die just because they can survive themselves. I do not trust human being, the dark side of man kind is too disgusting.

17:00 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

that is why 'JUST US' League film is still in limbo.

05:05 23/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I'm mixed so I don't think that way 9:41. The real solution is for everyone to procreate together so differences in skin color and other superficial features don't matter. But then it'd just be pure class warfare.... plus i'm pretty sure white skinned japs from China wiped out most of the Ainu ppl, just like the British, French and Spanish raped and replaced the Americas and Pacific Islands.

15:05 27/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It is very wrong, what makes one race better than any other. Every person has the same innate potential for greatness.

19:50 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@11:54: YOU own a country? I don't think so ...

18:33 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@ anon 11:54 21/08/2012 # !
    You just sound like a extremely racist person.

you sound like a racist jap lol

11:54 21/08/2012 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

holy fuck man.

Is it wrong to not want people who dont resemble you around in YOUR own country!?

09:30 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Korea is so backwards more than Japan. They even have to import Japanese parts to make cars.

09:01 23/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

No Koreans don't hate the Japanese. There may be people upset with the Japanese invasion or the situation with Dokdo, but that doesn't mean majority of them are unreasonable racists. Just because there are foolish chicken shits (especially online) who make racist comments, doesn't mean that majority of Koreans hate Japanese.

Heck, if all we do is judge based on comments we see online, then every person no matter what country they're from is never wrong about anything, dumb as a rock, racist, terrorist, sexist, atheist, extremely religious, has terrible spelling and grammar, savage, etc.

05:06 23/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I think Koreans just hate the Japanese; they love everyone else though....

18:50 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Socialy ? I dont think so . They're more open than japs .

agree, korean = idiot

17:08 25/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

lol it would be like Americans illegally crossing the border to mexico. Why would a japanese person go to korea

10:35 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Prostitutes, stupid.

12:46 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

You've never been in Japan didn't you? Japs hate non-Japanese speaking gaijins but if you are someone who can speak their language you are welcome.

20:18 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

Ah. You're not really welcome just because you speak their language. They're just more careful because you can understand their insults.

12:50 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

It's true. I only understood basic conversational Japanese on my last trip to Japan, but everyone fucking loved me for it. They appreciate your effort.

13:25 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I look Japanese but my vocabulary is very limited so I can talk only basic things like buy stuff in stores or ask where the toilet is but they were nice to me anyway. It was funny when I tried to speak in English with them and they instantly panicking trying to speak with me.

15:39 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

When I went to Japan 2 years ago, I couldn't speak any Japanese (I still cannot). However, I understood it quite well due to watching subbed anime for 10 years.

So I pretty much communicated by speaking English to them and they answered in Japanese (when I wasn't in Tokyo/Osaka, in those two majority of people I talked with answered in English). It worked quite well.

21:01 25/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I spoke English to a mobile phone renting service in the Narita airport, yes the airport, and a rental service directed at foreigners. The guy was completely in shock.

Then, I have to speak Japanese in order to proceed.

15:29 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If you visit Japan as a tourist with zero knowledge of Japanese, you will only be amazed by the top-notch service and courtesy you will receive there, with absolutely no idea of the gossips and curses flown behind behind you.

If you are fluent in Japanese and try to secure a permanent job to blend in with the society, good luck to you...

This is coming from someone with JLPT1 who has worked in Tokyo before.

13:59 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"...Japs hate non-Japanese speaking gaijins..."

Thank you for confirming they are inherently racist/scared of foreigners & their strange languages and behaviors (or as you put it using the slur word "gajin").

Furthermore it is ridiculous to expect all visitors to your country, including tourists, to speak your language - which is used nowhere else in the world.

lol i <3 japanese language more than english :P

In Japan you are always welcome pretty much anywhere it isn't stated otherwise. Sense of honour and duty.

That doesn't mean they don't hate your urusai manners.

19:16 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh yah I bet, they are sevearly hampered by seening males with natural born dolphins 9x bigger than their husbands have. Not to mention they wear shoes! Omgshiemashu-desu! They were SHOES with socks its unheard of, oh the horror oh the humanity.

17:23 26/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought the economy was bad, but it looks like it's going really good for this Korean (businessman?);to the extent of limiting you clients list.

19:04 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

wtttttttttf is wrong with Asia lately.
    All these things, Jesus.

20:21 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Easy. Japan is now at its weakest since the end of WW2. Most of the other Asian countries realize that and are now paying them back for decades of mistreatment. Japan is not well-liked in Asia.
    Just remember that anime/manga/games are not representative for Japan.

06:28 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

well.. they're getting what they paid for

23:19 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, the older generation still harbors ill against Japan, but the younger generation are very often quite okay with them. Partially because they like Japanese culture.

On the other hand, Americans young and old seem to still pick any fucking chance to call out on Japan's Pearl Harbor attack. Morons I say, morons.

18:05 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Not sure how true this is, but some of america is getting with the aliens( illegals)

08:23 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I've actually walked in to one of those bars...

As soon as I started speaking in Japanese to the owner, he let me in just like that. He told me it's because the staff doesn't speak any other languages, so they'd have a hard time serving people. The menus were in JP as well.

00:23 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If they don't people who don't speak Japanese, then why not put up a notice which says

No Foreigners
    (この掲示を読めるなら例外)

?

Probably because there seem to be a lot of annoying gaijin that act like they own every place they travel to, and that everyone should speak their language because they can't be bothered learning the local language.

Comment by Fronzel
    05:36 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

Just like the "No Foreigners" signs in some Japanese shops.

06:13 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

Why is this getting down voted? It's true. I love Japan, but they certainly didn't make me feel welcome when I was there even though I'm fluent in Japanese and did my best to respect every known courtesy. And I'm just a petite white woman.

06:36 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

Can't say I have had quite the same experience over the last couple of years. I've always been treated just as well as most Japanese. Only they seem to be a bit cautious at first because they fear they're going to have to speak English. And this is in not just in large cities, even the very small towns.

08:52 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.5)

You sir, have no idea what you're talking about. It has nothing to do with "Oh no, I might have to speak English" and everything to do with "Those damn foreign devils need to get out of here". Always has been, always will be.

09:03 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

those japs sure are racists.

10:13 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

the arabs hates white people.

12:36 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@12:11

Morgan Freeman,
    only old black guy we should know.

12:11 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You don't know many old black people do you?

06:16 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@10:13
    Everyone hates Arabs

Comment by jr2nd
    12:41 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@12:36 dont forget James Earl Jones, he did darth vaders voice (old skool)

10:36 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Thought in most anime, the suppose'd perfect (broken English) speaking japs with blond dyed hair were the cool ones and foreigners were cool... anime is never wrong!!!

@08:52 That's bullshit. YOUR experience may have been bad, mine was terrific.

@08:52
    where the fuck did you get that from?
    just a korean trying to spread that propaganda again?
    seriously get off sankaku complex if you hate japan so much.

08:52 don't just assume western racism translates into Japanese because it doesn't. There's a fear of what foreign people might be like because they don't know us, but you would be extremely hard pressed to find someone who actually hates white people.

Comment by Pyrolight
    08:57 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Criticizing anything Japanese on this site gets a down vote.

Comment by Pyrolight
    12:14 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"Um, no. This site is usually pro-Korean."

No wait it is pro-Chinese!!!

Felt the need to say something as absurd as you did there ANON 8:58.

"I'm sorry, did you say Japanese get butthurt easily?"

No, anon 9:29 I didn't. But you did prove my point with regards to the weeaboos and this site.

09:29 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm sorry, did you say Japanese get butthurt easily?

Look at the actions korea and china are doing right now. They are so angry like a child all they do is protest and smash Japanese cars that belong to the chinese while the Japanese shake heads at their action. It seem like korea and china are the ones to get butthurt easily like a little whiny kid.

12:10 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The difference is, the Chinese dont really care (about almost everything). They are just finding excuse to throw a riot.

09:04 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

japs get butthurt easily.

watch it, they might get upset and stab their mothers now.

Um, no. This site is usually pro-Korean.

12:51 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Every Japanese person I met in Japan fucking loved me. Maybe you just have a shitty personality...

03:40 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If you don't understand Japanese, then your statement is a big sack of balls.

10:44 20/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually what they really did was enjoy mocking the fat white pig with the chisai no jinji.

00:49 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"Petite white woman"

Looooool I smell a liarrrrr..

Comment by cpc65
    06:56 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It was probably getting voted down because people have no problem pointing fingers and accusing other races as being racist, but don't like to acknowledge that their own race can be that way too. I have been witness to and have been told of fist-hand accounts of one non Caucasian race being racist against another.

00:03 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Bullshit. There are racists everywhere, but in most countries, this sort of attitude is not generally acceptable.

09:25 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@06:13
    I see where your problem is. If you speak fluent Japanese they just treat you like any other Japanese.

From my experience white people get special treatment in Japan and get away with stuff all the time even if they mess up, and I knew a lot of Americans that took advantage of that.

12:23 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Hehehehehehehe. Just pretend you don't know any Japanese or their customs. Their smug wannabe superiority leads them to believe you can't be expected to know any better. :D

16:34 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Then they will accept you and welcome you, but wish you away ASAP.

Then again, if you know only a little of the customs and do not understand them, it might feel like mocking or otherwise be worse.

When accompagnied with Japanese friends, though, it's a bliss.

19:08 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

that is great advice.

Funny i know lots of people that went to Japan and their experience is alot different than yours and other dumb pseudo japan visitors here.

Comment by PirateKing
    06:35 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

petite white american 120kg woman?

:D

06:43 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

49kg and European, or where you describing yourself?

08:05 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

males can joke about 120 kg, but to females, it's no joke

06:51 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry to say that being a woman probably made things worse.

Sad but true...

07:25 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

lol... dood took a guess and ended up sounding like an asshat virgin.

07:29 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

To be fair to Pirateking, it does look like his remark was meant to be funny / a joke.

Original Anonymous poster was a real woman though - never make fun of their weight!

Lesson learned I guess...

:P

06:47 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry to say that being a woman probably made it worse...

Actually : are you American by any chance?

Because that would have meant you had 2 strikes against you before you even started talking to people.

Sad but true.

Comment by cpc65
    06:51 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

I'm not a foreigner. I'm a barbarian!

07:23 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

then you should be welcome everywhere.

09:06 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

except japan, they're racists against everyone.

12:24 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

You don't have to welcome or invite barbarians. They invite and welcome themselves.

15:18 27/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

But I heard that only keeps out those damn Mongolians.

00:06 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Except China. They've built The Great Wall.

10:10 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

you would be too if the foreign devils came to take your lolis

07:09 21/08/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yep, there are shops that don't want Korean customers either. They should all get off their high horse.

07:22 21/08/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

society of hypocrites.

08:58 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Try telling that to the Dutch back when Japan was a closed nation.

08:24 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yet they don't make you shout something three-times like a damn fool...

Koreans really are fucking insecure.

21:06 25/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@08:24 at least they are allowed in, not like some Japanese shops which bans foreigner no matter what they do.

08:27 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So true, I don't know why they're so mad about it lol. They do it all the time in Japan. God forbid the Koreans would do the same. And IMHO, Japanese are way more xenophobic than Koreans. Yes, they both think they're the best, but Koreans like it when people flock to their country/cultures, unlike Japan.

Koreans: "Yeah, we're better than you, come, look and embrace."

Japanese: "Yeah, we're better than you, you want some of it? Too bad. Create your own culture and don't taint our's."

That's how you keep cultures pure and untouched, cultures aren't there to entertain foreigners you dumbass, it's for the indigenous people.

People from countries that think going to Mcdonalds and eating steak is culture don't know shit about real deep rooted ancient culture that hasn't been tainted by tourist groups and in your face foreigners.

Here's a wonderful process that will make your day. The ones that hate Japan and Japanese, don't go there, ever easy as that. And the people that are not weaboos but are interested in Japan and genuinely respectfully want to learn or know about the culture then they are welcome to do so.

It's so simple yet some people act like they're getting forced on a plane to go to Japan, when they've never been there to actually experience the good and bad parts of it.

*slaps head* oh but that's right, logic doesn't work in some peoples minds anymore.

15:22 27/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

who cares about ancient cultures? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Build on what you have and work toward the future. Its the 21st century, maybe by the 22nd one Asia can get along with itself.

This is funny because quit a bit of Japanese culture is borrowed from places like Korean and China.

11:17 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

@08:53
    Um Koreans ripped off Chinese culture, so don't try to take credit for Japanese ripping off Chinese culture cuz it was Chinese culture to begin with cuz we have the longest civilized history in Asia.
    In fact, Korean was part of China and had to answer to Chinese government and pay us money.
    Korea didn't become it's country really until end of WWII cuz it was always owned by somebody else.

15:37 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@11:17 <<< speaks the truth. Korea descended from China and was owned by China since ancient times.

I'd love all the weaboos to get out of this post.

...and then we'll see how many people are left over....

08:55 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Isolation bred contempt, probably.

Comment by Artist Rising
    10:28 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I know how you feel... The Japanese are racist and hostile against anyone who is not a pure-blood Japanese or load with cash!!

I know based on eye-witness, internet, and first-hand experience!! A white foreign walks on Japanese train to sit down and a whole group of Japanese got up move to the next cart! One of the most intelligent races on the planet still living like cavemen and woman!
    VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

RESTORE PEACE! KILL IGNORANCE!

11:52 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Cavemen?

The caveman would probably bash the gaijin's head in with a club at first occurrence.

Comment by Artist Rising
    12:31 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"Its a sound, intelligent choice to recognize a gaijin and have the urge to stay away."

"I think its also pretty "caveman" to go to a foreign land where people really dont look like you and have a want to live there."

Are you listening to yourself?

You should other judge other people based on their actions, not their appearance. I'm
    disappointed in your statement.

23:27 21/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@11:52

In that case you'd end up with a bunch of Koreans and Chinese... is that what you really want? Caucasians are often much more pleasing people last time I checked... and yes I am Asian, just for the info.
    They certainly do stick out like sore thumbs in Japan though.

16:06 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

There sure is alot of liars here on sancock.

thing is asian countries are not multicultural like the western countries. yeah there is some, but not even close to the point where in a crowed of 100 people their is atleast 10 different races.

Comment by Nekomancer
    06:30 22/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Mind your tongue. Not all western countries are multicultural.