Top 25 Signs You Are Definitely An Otaku

azunyan-dating.jpg

Anime otaku are inviting their possible brethren to see just how badly they place on this ranking of the most pernicious signs someone has progressed to the level of otaku…

The ranking (which specifies only “otaku” or “ota” but is obviously chiefly referring to anime otaku):

1. You only listen to anime songs now

2. You have no interest in 3D

3. You just can’t stop listening to seiyuu voices

4. You go to Animate [the store chain]

5. You gladly pour all your passion, money and time into otaku pursuits

6. The posters in your room? All anime

7. You instantly pronounce the most hard to comprehend anime titles correctly

8. You’ve got all the character profiles memorised, all of them…

9. You sit around fantasising all the time about you know what

10. If the talk turns to your favourite anime you can no longer control yourself

11. You actually check seiyuu blogs

12. You even admit you are an otaku

13. You’re amassing doujinshi

14. You’ve been listening to anime web radio shows

15. You attend anime and seiyuu events

16. Nobody wants anything to do with you! 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。

17. You could not possibly live on without anime in your life

18. You buy anime dakimakura covers

19. You’re sure to buy up all volumes of the DVD and original work

20. Other people even call you “otaku”

21. You make use of the word “moe”

22. You have played love sims at some point

23. You actually got all the references in Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

25. You call Chitanda Eru “Erutaso”

See also the rather different ranking of same, as compiled by non-otaku.

18:04 19/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

"You only listen to anime songs now"

"You sit around fantasising all the time about you know what"

Oh god, that's me.

19:29 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

yeah, me too

Comment by mike
    06:10 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

only 6 on the list fit me
    in america it is easier to be an otaku that japan

14:22 25/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

4 ^^
    And indeed it is mike

18:32 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Suddenly I'm not alone.

06:34 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Played love sims, well that's the only point for me.

22:54 21/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

here here

Comment by Ken
    05:56 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

* bro hug *

08:40 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"You sit around fantasising all the time about you know what"

dido

18:51 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's "ditto" unless you're actually talking about that crappy female singer, who was once in that Eminem music video with the guy who wants to be Eminem and drives a car off a bridge and kills himself and Dido, because she he locked her in the trunk/boot of the car.
    Dumbass.

Comment by Shima-kun989
    08:34 21/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

you nvr know, he might have meant
    "dildos"
    don't put words in someone's mouth.

13:11 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I do listen anime songs alot but not the crazy ones. Also, I find myself listening to Video games ost's as well, does that count? :/

I do download doujinshis but only by high quality artists so i wouldn't say I get them "en masse"

I wouldn't really say I'm an otaku bcuz I don't go hardcore like the actual ones do. I'd say I'm casual I guess...

Comment by Pyrus
    04:14 22/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You are in self-denial. If you are finicky about what you want, you are as hard-core as the indiscriminate, just in a different way.

12:25 23/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

my brethren!!!

Comment by Tobias Lu
    02:58 26/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

lol yeah thats me as well. i prob satisfy 50-90% of these numbers here

Comment by The Failure
    15:33 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh lol only #18 #24 #25 missed me XD the rest were right on mark

00:08 21/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

And 26, You check sankaku complex web site-

20:06 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

26. come across a random 2d picture and check out the girls on it.

23:26 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

1. Sure..even interesting instrumentals and poetic songs.

2. Still do have an interest..they just aren't into me XD

3. Not really

4. I WOULD LOVE TOO..but animate doesn't exist in my country.

5. Not so much. Next!

6. None

7. Some are still a pain to mention.

8. Character traits and the relevance to their respective stories. Not into 3 sizes

9. I used to then I took an arrow in the knee.

10. True. Probably my only opportunity to talk back.

11. No way.

12. Sure why not?

13. No

14. Again, they don't exist in my country. If ever they aren't as better as the ones in Japan.

15. Comic cons are the closest option. Sadly unless I cosplay then no.

16. Being otaku or otherwise.

17. I could some..not crossing the dark side of modern media XD

18. No

19. Manga's my only choice.

20. No..they call me weirdo XD

21. No

22. Before..then it became pointless to see some other guy getting the girl from all your hard work.

23. Haven't watched that anime yet so no.

24. Me..FOREIGNER..country..boring as heck towards anime..

25. Who's that?

Comment by cats2
    23:32 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Wow, not even a 1 of them for me..

But they're pretty god damn specific with most of them, and they would only apply to Japanese/weeaboo's trying to pretend they are...

01:13 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

none of them apply to me
    what am i doing here?

16:34 24/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The same with me :|

23:28 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

24. You become exceedingly busy in the run up to certain summer and winter festivals.

really? i can't play persona 3 without being an otaku now? i need to get my social links up though!

Comment by Dia
    00:10 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Bah, if playing dating sims makes you an otaku, what does that make girls who read romance novels.

OH wait.

Comment by Imyou
    06:23 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm... nope. None of the above, though I'm not really trying to be an otaku.

On the other hand, I have dozens of Touhou doujin albums and can correlate tunes to song titles to character names to profiles to appearances in-game for the Windows series...

06:56 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

This list only applies to a certain kind of otaku, the moe-obsessed useless specimins who only consume, and never create.
    THis kind of otaku give everyone else a bad name. A true otaku should stop being like this, and funnel their energy into creation.
    Make comics, or videogames, or even animations or short tokusatsu films. You will be happier, and you will make others happy. You might even make some money!

**This message paid for by the internation otaku culture re-invigoration commitee**

Comment by oniichan
    07:05 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm I am very interested in 3D girls as long as they look and act like their 2D counterparts! What is that considered?

07:25 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

How the flying fuck is that possible?

08:46 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

not acting like a slut that only want your money and still know that girl shouldn't speak like a drunk driver on his bad day is a start .

Comment by Shima-kun989
    18:21 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

a good start is not sounding like a Ke$ha song every time she opens her mouth.
    am i the only one who feels indescribable malice for Ke$ha?

06:46 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn I'm only missing 4 of those requirements! >_<

05:37 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

7,10,12,13,15,17,22

And proud of it.

05:25 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

None of these apply to me even though I've watched over 500 animes and the only thing I even watch is anime... does this mean I have hope? xD Oh wait, I did play Katawa Shoujo, that must make me otaku then.

Comment by Ken
    05:52 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

#1, #4, #7, #9, #10, #12, #14, #15, #17, #20 and #21.

Yup, pretty much.

Comment by angelscream
    10:12 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

26. You don't have any girlfriend(cause they don't
    want you).

27.Your Fat.

Comment by Gradius
    10:11 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Welcome to NHK again!

Comment by Shima-kun989
    18:22 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

the freud excerpts were the best, lol

Comment by Y0k41
    10:15 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm, they make it sound as if being an otaku = having no friends. I've got close friends, and I'm pretty blatantly an otaku around them. Hell, I've got some of em to read(and enjoy) VN's.

However I do get the impression that, as far as social-life is concerned, it's worse being an otaku in Japan...

11:13 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

cool, only thing that applies to me is collecting doujins

10:11 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

1. You only listen to anime songs now
    Yup.

2. You have no interest in 3D
    2D's eternal, so 'course

3. You just can’t stop listening to seiyuu voices
    From time to time.

4. You go to Animate [the store chain]
    Unfortunately not.

5. You gladly pour all your passion, money and time into otaku pursuits
    Passion - Yes, Money - Lack, Time - Minimal.

6. The posters in your room? All anime
    Out of the 12 on my wall, 4 are dedicated to some sort of anime.

7. You instantly pronounce the most hard to comprehend anime titles correctly
    Yup. Well, the ones I'm familiar with anyway.

8. You’ve got all the character profiles memorised, all of them…
    Of the anime/manga I've caught up with the most, yup.

9. You sit around fantasising all the time about you know what
    Most of the time, else I wouldn't be posting this comment.

Very true.

11. You actually check seiyuu blogs
    Nope.

12. You even admit you are an otaku
    Yup.

13. You’re amassing doujinshi
    In my memories.

14. You’ve been listening to anime web radio shows
    Nope.

15. You attend anime and seiyuu events
    Never, too busy reading manga, watching anime or playing an eroge.

16. Nobody wants anything to do with you! 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。
    #ForeverAlone.

17. You could not possibly live on without anime in your life
    I'd be no better than a vegetable!

18. You buy anime dakimakura covers
    Wut?

19. You’re sure to buy up all volumes of the DVD and original work
    Nope, the interwebz has my back.

20. Other people even call you “otaku”
    Occasionally.

21. You make use of the word “moe”
    Moe.

22. You have played love sims at some point
    Playing one right now.

23. You actually got all the references in Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
    Wut?

Never, too busy reading manga, watching anime or playing an eroge.

25. You call Chitanda Eru “Erutaso”
    Wut?

*26. You bothered answering all 25 questions?
    26 in counting.

08:38 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

kinda number 1, but I still listen to other music.
    number 12, and number 20. Not quite number 6 since i have a world map poster in my room (that i don't even sleep in anymore lololol)

09:01 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"You have played love sims at some point"

Well shit

05:19 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"17. You could not possibly live on without anime in your life"

definitely applies to me, but then again, it's become somewhat like breathing and eating, you just do it and still continue to pursue the other aspects of your daily life. Though, having a large circle of peers who are all into various combinations of anime, manga, video games and Japanese music helps a lot with the socializing part, especially if there are females among them. I guess I can consider myself lucky.

05:14 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Some of them just seem incredibly vague. Having EVER been to Animate makes you an otaku? If, at any point, you played a love sim (even out of idle curiosity or at someone else's insistence) you're an otaku?

Comment by Dan Hibiki
    01:39 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

only 21 and 22. though i only use the word "moe" in reference to anime. i've never used it in actual conversation.

01:34 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Apparently I'm not an otaku at all, which is incredibly relieving. I'm just a fan of anime.

01:49 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmmm I watched far over 5000 anime in the last 15 years but surprisingly only 3 of those reasons apply to me. o_O

02:12 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

they forgot
    -you marry your pillow
    -lick your tv when your favorite anime girl is on there
    -bake food for inanimate objects
    -get ticked off for poeple making hentai of your favorite character
    -get mad when other people like your character as much as you.
    -busta nut on your anime figure collection
    -collect figures, take pictures of them, and post it on websites.
    -call real women 3d pigs.
    -celebrate birthdays of made up characters
    -threaten to kill the creators of you favorite show if it doesn't go in a direction you like, or is going to be canceled.
    -anytime you are in a picture, you wear a blindfold, sit with your legs crossed and hands together like you're channeling you ninja powers.
    -say things like "i can has biscuits" "want moar" "fap fap fap" and "lol, wut"

true signs of elite otaku.