Anime Cakes Sweeter Than Ever

sweet-anime-cakes-001.jpg

Fans of anime and cake have been lauding the work of a cakery specialising in providing some rather well illustrated cakes for the discerning otaku palette.

sweet-anime-cakes-002.jpg

The cakes, by Gunma patisserie Torte, have been proving popular online of late:

sweet-anime-cakes-003.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-004.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-005.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-006.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-007.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-008.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-009.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-010.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-011.jpg
sweet-anime-cakes-012.jpg

17:34 18/07/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Did the last cake say "Happy Birthday Anon"?

18:02 18/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Indeed.

But on a serious note...those cake...those "drawings"...that is some skill. So people can really have delicious cake for real...

Leek flavoured Miku cake anyone? XD

18:27 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Are they actually drawn or printed onto some edible texture, which is then placed on top of the cake?

If it actually is custom work, then it's really impressive.

18:58 18/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

they are printed using edible inks onto a transfer sheet then applied to the icing plate, seen it done with some disney tat but never this good quality.

00:30 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I cannot eat those cakes.

Those cakes are not food, but those are "THE ART".

18:33 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm not really sure how they do it, but I do know that these are custom work, because you can request any Anime/Manga character you want on the cake.

06:51 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It is called Ita-choco. Either drawn or traced with chocolate and white chocolate. Even if it's just traced it takes a lot of skill to get the lines smooth. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efsxTe2JcAs

15:00 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

They're printed from a digital image from a computer with edible ink and sheet and pasted on white chocolate. It's not really art.

23:33 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

well you know what they say. a Chef is 1 part Chemist and 1 part artist.

18:32 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like they're drawn with food coloring onto sugar sheets, which are then trimmed to the size of the cake. It's essentially like working with watercolor paints. Except you can eat them.

Comment by Sazuko Toriyama
    07:07 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

All the Troll XD
    "おたんじょうびおめでとう *あのん*”

19:58 18/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

Even though the cake looks delicious I couldn't eat it because I wouldn't want to harm the artwork OTL I can't eat my favourite characters.

22:51 18/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

It'd turn from sweet cake into guro cake! ...Especially with chosen fillings.

Bah, this is how real guru cake looks like:

00:49 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

A cake that can't be eaten, just great.

Comment by RedRat
    04:52 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If you can't eat it, LICK IT! ;-)

Comment by Shima-kun989
    12:09 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmph, i don't see any of ME on there... licking is forbidden.

Comment by Shima-kun989
    12:12 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

in a school days cake, wouldn't it almost require you to cut it?

Comment by Sazuko Toriyama
    07:11 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Whatever dude :D I can Eat Out a whole Harem of Cakes (^。^ )ははあ〜

20:36 18/07/2012 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

Did you really just say that?

Harm the artwork.

Harm.

Artwork.

It can be reproduced, moron. You'll damage it more by letting it get moldy from not eating it. It's a cake, enjoy it you useless waste of flesh.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    23:45 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Yea, artwork can be reproduced too genius. Forgeries of things are everywhere. So, who's to say whether or not cake can be considered art? Just about anything can be with the right mind set. Just because you are so narrowminded doesn't mean everyone else is.

20:43 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

As much as I'd dig in (although I'd never order one of these myself), I can't help but feel uneasy at the idea of slicing into your favorite character. Seems kind of morbid.

20:38 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Either that strawberry/blueberry cake is popular or the menu is rather limited >_<

Comment by Exia
    19:04 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'll take one Macross Frontier cake Please.

01:00 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I WANT A CAKE PRODUCED BY PIXY OR MILKY

Comment by Shima-kun989
    21:49 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think the Cake gods would appreciate you getting your "icing" all over the "cake"

02:04 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Cure Peace belongs on a cake because she is too sweet for words.

04:36 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Sena and Sunny?

...But why?

04:40 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I was expecting another disgusting Madocake for sure, but was pleasantly surprised to see Precure instead. <3

01:27 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

007 where's that from?

00:31 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Can I preorder it and bring it to my house ?
    How much money do you need huh !?

00:36 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

GOD JAPAN STOP WITH THIS LAME ASS CORNY FAG SHIT

I lived in Japan for years and I did what you did, but on a lesser scale: I fought discrimination, xenophobia and racism as hard as I could. I like to think I gave as good as I got, if not better. I caused a fair bit of hell at my local kuyakusho, at immigration, with the police and with various random racist folks. That’s not to say I went around with a chip on my shoulder: I had a lot of Japanese friends, spoke the language well and really tried to fit in. But, finally, I decided to leave Japan and I don’t regret it. Not for a second. Every day I’m out of there, I give thanks that I had the balls and foresight to leave.

My question to you is why do you keep trying? I don’t want to be negative, but I think even you have to admit that Japan and the Japanese are not really going to change. Not in any meaningful way. They are xenophobic to the core, perhaps even genetically so. The society is feudal, with only the flimsiest veneer of legality. There is no real law – power and connections are all that matter. Japan reached a highpoint of openness and internationalization in the early 90s, and it’s been rapidly closing and going backwards since then. As the country stagnates and gets poorer, it’s going to become less and less welcoming to foreigners. I mean, the mayors of the three main cities in Japan are all nationalists and, most likely, racists.

Frankly, I don’t even think it’s worth trying to change Japan. They’re not worth it. Let them go their own miserable way to stagnation and backwardness. Let the world pass them by. Japan is like a stubborn old geezer in your neighborhood who does something offensive (letting his dog bark all night, for instance). You know that arguing with him is a waste of time. The only sensible thing to do is move away. Fuck him, to be direct about it.

You’ve fought the good fight, Debito, and a lot of gaijin owe you a huge debt of gratitude. But, for your own peace of mind, why not let someone else take up the burden? Or, better yet, wouldn’t it be best for all NJ to simply pack up and leave and let the Japanese do whatever it is they want to do? Let them sing the kimigayo morning, noon and night. Let them teach English so poorly that no one can speak it. Let them lobotomize their kids in the name of educating them. Let them claim that their actions in WWII were one vast charitable mission to spread peace and love throughout the world. Let them sink slowly into the swamp of their own bloody minded ignorance.

It’s not our job to “fix” their society. It’s not our job to educate them about how the world really works. It’s not our job to try to bring them into the modern world.

Sorry, this is a bit of a downer of a post, but anyone who knows Japan as well as you know it must surely realize that the defining characteristic of modern Japan is the inability to change. They’re so stubborn that if you ask them to change, they’ll consciously avoid changing just to spite you. I mean, why do you think they keep whaling and dolphin killing when it requires vast government support to keep doing it? They do it precisely because the world tells them to stop.

I say, leave them to it and live your own life.

19:19 20/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh well, Cake boss already be kitchen boss!
    (TLC)
    Ni ha ha!
    VEE!!

01:05 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Prize edible artwork. Sometimes we made ones of cars and cows with fences you know.. :D

08:14 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon is a real name in Japan, I met a mother who had named her baby this. I couldn't tell her the meaning in English. I just did the usual smile and nod and "oh what a nice baby" thing.

Comment by Solace
    09:48 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll make my own cake harem!

13:58 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if you could order a Portal-style cake with a picture of Glados on it?

Comment by cpc65
    07:32 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Cherries would have been sweeter!

18:29 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

wow you can draw on a cake? I can't even draw on paper...

18:28 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Not only do they look good I bet they taste nice like most Japanese cakes.

18:30 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

awaiting the day they design a cake with similar designs to oppai mouse pads. Yummy indeed.

20:29 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Do not put your hand into the cake. That is disgusting.

Comment by Benoist
    18:17 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"Tsukurimashou, tsukurimashou~~~"
    Wait... I'm not into "new cuisine" but, is that parsley I see ?

19:11 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"sate sate nani ga dekiru kana~"

Pretty awesome cakes btw

17:35 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Those Cakes look fantastic!

I'd definitely love to visit this shop someday.

18:13 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Japan always have the good stuff.. >.<

18:10 18/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

fuwa fuwa ri, fuwa fuwa ru

Comment by Riiku
    00:24 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Always thought this is pointless. You can have the same by eating regular cake while looking at a picture printed on a paper.

03:04 19/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You don't like the idea of putting your favorite character(s) inside you?

...wait.