Top 10 Fantasy Anime

elric-brothers-by-jmmy-xu.jpg

Anime fans have been seeking to find the best fantasy anime, and whilst their choices may not exclusively consist of epic tales of gangs of elves and dwarves molesting dragons, they are certainly quite fantastic all the same…

The ranking:

1. A Certain Scientific Railgun

2. Bakemonogatari

3. Fullmetal Alchemist

4. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

5. Inu x Boku SS

6. Fate Series

7. Natsume’s Book of Friends

8. Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

9. Blue Exorcist

10. Zero no Tsukaima

Comment by Fapping Time
    21:55 08/07/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

where the fuck is record of lodoss war?
    you get to diffrent elf hotties, ain't more fantasy than that. I'll take the light meat and the dark meat, please...

01:51 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Where the fuck is Slayers, Outlaw Star, Trigun and Inuyasha?

12:09 09/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Inuyasha?

What the hell is wrong with you?

11:21 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Outlaw Star and Trigun are not fantasy anime, those would be sci-fi, big difference.

Apart from Beserk not being on this list, and Railgun and Bakemonogatari being 1 and 2, the rest of the list is decent enough.

13:44 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

By your own standards, Railgun would be sci-fi and Bakemonogatari wouldn't be either.

20:09 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

what shit rankings.

Comment by Yamato
    06:09 10/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah, I don't get why Railgun is on there. I mean, I get that it takes place in the same world as Index, which definitely contains some fantasy elements, but Railgun focuses solely on the sci-fi aspects of that world. Though, maybe this was just an error: I'm going to assume several of the voters (and whoever runs the poll, for that matter) treated Index and its spin-off interchangeably, and Railgun was just more popular out of the two.

Comment by Yamato
    06:27 10/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

(sorry for the double-post, wasn't able to edit my previous one)

Say, I just remembered: technically, shouldn't Fullmetal count as a sci-fi? I mean, the world may seem like a fantasy at first glance, but whenever it comes to how the series' token super powers actually work, Arakawa seems to know her chemistry. Though, I guess there is some "magic" of sorts involved (the ability to manipulate elements in the first place, for one), but I'd argue that it featured it no more than Outlaw Star did (which was definitely a sci-fi setting, but also had some Taoist enchanters running around, to say nothing of the main character using enchanted bullets).

17:01 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Bakemonogatari is Supernatural and Railgun is sci-fi.

14:40 10/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

INUYASHA?! FUCK YOU!!

13:19 13/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Outlaw Star's good but it's Sci-fi. ^_^;

13:51 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Inuyasha sucks dik.

inuyasha - for gays

Holy shit, how outdated and overly influenced by nostalgia glasses are you people?! They were all good series, yes, but good shit had come out since the fucking 90's!

I swear, all of you are the death of the anime industry, complaining about what's popular all the time and not supporting any of the series actually aimed at your demographic.

13:07 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If nostalgia is the death of the anime industry, why are they making another Sailor Moon anime?

15:26 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

That was a good burn sir.

08:33 12/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

oh boo fucking hoo... the problem is nothing worth a damn has been made since the 90's...

Comment by TC-man

Record of Lodoss War is 41 in ranking in the full list. Click at the link to see the whole ranking.

This anime is old and you should feel old.

03:13 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

This was obviously said by someone who has yet to reach puberty and never been laid.

07:20 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@04:02
    It's all cool. I got laid before puberty by a loli.

I mean literally laid btw. Unsurprisingly shota me wasn't capable of getting an erection, so we kind of just pretended to hump each other. Interesting times.

11:59 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

same here, when I was 5, she "forced" me to play husband and wife, I wont complain, I rather enjoyed it, but the only problem is that now I love tsundere because of her, and good ones are hard to find in real life. Record of lodoss war actually got me.laid, so it will forever be number 1, I had bought my first manga because of the art on the cover, but it was all in Japanese, a week later a Japanese exchange student was put in my class, so I asked her to read it to me, it ended up being her favorite manga and she just randomly jumped on me while reading it to me. I wished I had that kind of luck now like I did as a kid.

04:02 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait, you got laid before you hit puberty? My condolences.

22:15 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Ahh youngins. So young, so uninformed.

Comment by Benoist
    23:26 08/07/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Zero... Watched it, but why something can be that bland in any department, almost contantly, and get that much love ? (don't start me with Louise, we've seen far better before)

Comment by Yamato
    06:48 10/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

fucking seconded. Louise: easily one of the most shittily-handled characters I've seen in an anime. I heard a lot of the problems were the result of a crappy adaption on JC Staff's part, though. Still, the fact that the anime version (and subsequently, anime Louise) is what's popular really worries me.

But to be honest, for the purpose of this poll, the world setting seems like it could've worked to some degree. It's just a shame that we lost a lot of the focus on familiars and elemental classes in favor of the worst romance since Inuyasha/Kagome.

Comment by caiooa
    07:07 11/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

really? i loved the novels. And the fantasy about europe is really cool.

00:15 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Whoa... I never thought I'd see the day I encountered someone who agreed with me.

03:51 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Ero louise ha saiiiiikou

Comment by renstalon
    21:41 08/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.5)

Idiotic list because it lacks

"Berserk!"

01:58 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Can Claymore get any love?

03:11 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yea Claymore!

05:18 09/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

It's too old for the kiddies who vote in these... Same with Berserk, do this again after they finish the OVA's.

I also hope they redo Claymore when the manga finishes...

10:18 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Dafuq? Rorouni Kenshin isn't a fucking fantasy anime man.

04:34 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

What I want to know is where the fuck is Rorouni Kenshin.

03:56 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It includes sexy girls even.
    It's like the seriously badass edition of queens blade.

04:36 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Not moe enough for the japs.

15:27 11/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I love Baka to Test but although I can see why it would be a bit sci-fi, I fail to see how it embodies it.

07:31 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Its anime - Berserks anime was pretty incredible one of the best until the ending - which was poorly done they just didnt explain how guts escaped or anything which you get in the manga and the missed a huge demon enemy out which is in the manga. They are doing a movie though.

Berserk is a masterpiece manga though and greatest fantasy - dark fantasy more so I have ever read and makes game of thrones look like tea time friendly TV and would be number one. berserk changed my life

Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood anime was amazing though.

10:20 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Haven't read Berserk manga in a long time but from what i heard Guts STILL HASN'T KILLED Griffith and that chick he loved is still....well crazy in the head.

04:02 10/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Idolm@ster enslaving the minds of manga authors~

09:17 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad someone said that, the same shit popped in my head Gutsu all the wayyyyy

08:44 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Berserk's manga was good, but this is about the anime, which is subpar at best.

05:07 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone realised yet that anime is, for the most part, fantasy? For similar results, see 'top ten animated anime'.

08:08 12/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Er.... You do realize that small F fantasy (fancy, imagination) and the genre Fantasy are not the same thing, don't you?

00:35 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Totally agree!

01:15 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

And Hellsing Ultimate. :(

01:36 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

What about Fairy Tail? If we are talking about Fantasy then Fairy Tail should be at least in the top 3... Right?

10:22 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

WHAT? Railgun isn't a fantasy it's fucking sci-fi. Why the fuck isn't S-Cry-ed on the list?

05:43 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah I could understand if it was to aru in general but railgun is not a fantasy at all.

21:38 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Sci-Fi - Science Fiction
    Fantasy - Fantasy
    Sorry to be the obvious, but the To Aru series aren't exactly fantasy.

03:38 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Leave it to the Japanese to disappoint. Again. Why is Scientific Railgun on the list? And number 1, at that? Shouldn't that be in Sci-fi, or something? I mean it has Scientific in the title and all. This list has no Bastard!!, no Berserk, and no Rune Soldier. And yeah, it wasn't my first 5 choices, but Hellsing Ultimate really should be in there, too.

This a suck list.

01:48 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

2. Bakemonogatari

....sigh.

Comment by Erranty
    03:33 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Well, I really liked Berserk, but that ending made me go Berserk.

Comment by Riiku
    03:20 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Kids nowadays don't like Berserk because it have "shitty graphics".

Animation technologies are moving forward and kiddies want their animes, as much as their video games, be pretty and fluid, not deep and smart.

07:26 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

well the animation in Berserk is much better than most new animes. Many old animes have fluid animation unlike stiff animes today (thought there are a few animes with very good animation today too).

10:23 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't forget Ubel Blatt. Even though those dumbass still haven't made it into an anime its right up there with berserk.

22:13 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck, kids even dont know that there was a new Berserk OVA Released.. shame.