Sailor Moon Returns in 2013 with New Anime

sailor-moon-new-anime-announcement_0.jpg

A new Sailor Moon anime is due to arrive in the summer of 2013, much to the delight of magical girl fanciers the world over.

In the best tradition of zombie franchise milking, the new anime is apparently pitched as a new version of the original shoujo manga (whether it deserves to be called a “reboot” is not clear), though seiyuu Mitsuishi Kotono will still be playing Usagi.

What format and length the show will be is not clear, but it will apparently be targeting a more mature audience than the original, and be made available to international fans in at the same time as well (as evidenced by the announcement in part being made at the Japan Expo 2012 in France, a Sailor Moon heartland).

The announcement song and dance, in Japanese and an obscure European language:

Online there is growing anticipation of the coming 2013 showdown between Sailor Moon and Precure, both of which now share not dissimilar audiences of little girls and creepy otaku…

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    08:06 07/07/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

The best thing about the return of Sailor Moon...

MORE BLACK DOG DOUJINSHI!

Comment by Yamato
    09:53 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm still waiting for him to do a Pluto book. Hopefully, she'll get more spotlight than she did in the previous series.

09:55 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

this, black dog needs to show the other characters more love

18:32 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I just need to sign this.

Comment by de Maria
    08:19 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Who knows? It could be all Black Dog's fault that SM's being remade.

Comment by AndiAndi-chan
    11:01 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahaha, because of this comment I looked up 'Black Dog Sailor Moon' thinking it'd be a good Sailor Moon doujin. Should have realised it was hentai. It always is ;;

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    14:18 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"thiking it'd be a good Sailor Moon doujin"

All BLACK DOG SM doujinshis are god-level.

14:10 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Is that bad...?

07:38 07/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

I'm in heaven.

16:20 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

>more mature version
    >europeans doesn't bitching if there's nudity in their shows

God make Amy's nipples true!

08:19 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

"In the best tradition of zombie franchise milking"

This coming from a site that adores Madoka Magica?

08:46 07/07/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

At least Sailor Moon isn't making a recap movie trilogy the very year after the anime airs.

06:08 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Madoka was about Zombies?

Comment by Retroland
    16:26 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's french you bastard

Calm the hell down, Frog.

13:58 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Very interesting. Sailor Moon was my "gateway drug" into anime, and I still love it. This could be very good or very bad, and I intend to find out which.

08:26 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh my god... I'm crying this makes me so happy! Sailor Moon is about my favorite thing in the world. No other universe in anything is as wonderful to me as Sailor Moon's. I hope they can get all of the original seiyuu, they are truly some of the most talented I've ever heard. So much emotion in everything, the characters came to life so wonderfully. I hope they get some of the original composers to do the music, no other anime I've seen has ever had music of the calibur of Sailor Moon's.

They better not leave Hotaru on the sidelines this time!

Comment by Yamato
    09:48 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

assuming they stick close to the manga this time around (which shouldn't be a problem seeing as it's long-since completed and thus removing the need for filler), Hotaru will most definitely be active.

19:32 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hoping Kyubey makes a cameo appearance...that oughta be a sight.

Comment by Retroland
    00:33 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd like to watch this new sailor moon franchise

21:21 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh...I demand new DB but boobs are welcome here;]

20:52 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

This...this is a dream, right? I'm in a dream right now, right?

00:36 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice! All for possible PreCure Vs Sailor Moon Movie/Special/Episode....Show of hands!

00:40 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Seconded ^^^

Max Factory,Get the rights for Figmas!!! Fuckin'
    outbid SH Figuarts for these,They did a terrible job with the PreCure ones.

Comment by guarayakha
    20:24 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"The new Sailor Moon was announced at a Nico-broadcast event commemorating the 20th anniversary of the franchise."

Fuck. Now I totally feel old. T______T

On topic though, hopefully they keep the same character designs and not make it moeblob garbage. And they really need to bring back some of the forgotten side characters, namely Usagi's parents, Naru, Umino and Furu. It's like they never existed anymore post-SS.

Comment by Smooth Buddy
    15:17 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

YES YES COME BACK 90'S OH GOD YES

15:53 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Man....an old school anime being brought back...I dunno, its been years since Sailor Stars,the last season of the series was made, so I'm skeptical how good this could be. I mean what has it been? 15 years since the last one? I'm hoping they don't screw this up.
    I mean, its like if they did a remake of Gundam Wing.
    How can you remake something thats been so good? So the question here is if they can keep it as good as the original. I'm in doubt that it'll be as good as the original, but we won't know until it comes out.

18:02 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

So, how much will they fuck up the character design?

Comment by Bayonette
    18:23 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

We're reliving.... Reliving the 90's!

We still fight! Fighting in the 90's!

12:27 10/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh wrong anime.

18:24 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe there'll be soul gems...

15:33 07/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hello there, I found your site by means of Google whilst searching for a comparable subject, your site came up, it seems good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply changed into alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it is truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful in the event you continue this in future. Many people will likely be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

23:18 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you spending some
    time and energy to put this content together.

I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and posting comments.

But so what, it was still worth it!

00:12 11/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

11:41 11/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I know this web site gives quality depending articles or reviews and other material, is there any other web page which presents these kinds of stuff in quality?

02:27 24/12/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I absolutely love your website.. Great colors & theme. Did you make this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm planning to create my very own blog and would love to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Cheers!

04:56 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

My god that is horrible. They cant sing at all, sounds terrible and the audiance with those light staff things -.- god

03:46 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Sailor Moon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madoka. Period.

07:19 10/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, can't agree. I'm now rewatching the series for old times' sake, and the thing is, it has very much a monster-of-the-week feel. (The same problem that the Miyu television series had.)
    That Madoka is technically better is no surprise (technology progressed and Shaft didn't need to re-use the same footage over and over again) but Madoka is remarkably original for an anime that is supposed to be a new take on an old concept. It's an excellent deconstruction and it has a nice plot as well. And better voice actors to boot.
    I like Sailor Moon, but seriously, don't compare it to Madoka.

22:05 12/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm totally behind this, the good parts of Sailor Moon are way better then anything in Madoka as it actually has interesting, well developed characters and scenarios and doesn't rely as much on shock value and sentimentality. If all you did was take out the parts of Sailor Moon that suck (and boy that is a lot) or replace them with stuff from another version of itself, that would already put it far above the trite drama in Madoka.

03:48 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally the return of real mahou shoujo anime, not like these higurashi clones, like madoka.

05:36 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

How can you even compare Madoka to Higurashi? They aren't even similar.

12:20 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I am open to a new anime. But they should Still consider having Moonlight Densetsu as the theme or at least as one of the songs for the anime. That song is about Sailor Moon and is a classic...

19:44 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Whatever they do please don't destroy our dream of Sailor Venus being single and a bitch.

04:13 09/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Sailor Moon <3 I still know 95% of the German opening text and my first watch was over 10 years ago.

15:31 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

this creepy ole otaku is so happy. especially that Konoto-sama is involved. i hope they get Terri Hawkes to do the dub again.

21:58 12/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, Tracey Moore (who directed and voiced Sailor Moon in the first few episodes of the dub) was way better, she was perfect at being cute, ditsy and stubborn without being annoying and loudmouthed like everyone else who tries to play her.

06:28 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never watched Precure. I assume that the "Mature" aspect will not be like Madoka, but just a bit more violence.

P.S. the Tuxedo guy is hawt.

Comment by mevious
    07:03 08/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe we will get a non-censored version this time hmm? I feel old now , watching this as a kid , and I was there , dodn't expect that when I went to see the momoiro clover Z !

10:48 07/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as the characters look sexy with sexier body I'm fine with it even if its not ecchi. They had sexy legs in the manga