ps-vista-001.jpg
ps-vista-002.jpg

The release of the PS Vista, incorporating the latest in made in China technology and China’s unique approach to honouring intellectual property, has actually been greeted with a surprising amount of enthusiasm.

According to reports, the device was first spotted in Thailand selling for some 1800 baht ($55). Somebody bought one:

ps-vista-003.jpg
ps-vista-004.jpg
ps-vista-005.jpg
ps-vista-006.jpg
ps-vista-007.jpg
ps-vista-008.jpg
ps-vista-009.jpg

Although outwardly identical to Sony’s PlayStation Vita, the device instead boasts “3,000″ games, as well as music and movie playback, a browser, emulators, radio, a camera and TV output, and a multilingual OS bearing a more than passing resemblance to Windows Vista and Apple’s iOS.

Needless to say, the touch panel and various buttons do nothing and the quality of the device’s functionality is said to be nowhere near that of the actual PSV, and in proper China style its 3000 games are said actually to consist of only 200 pirated NES and GBA titles duplicated many times over.

Even so, amongst the Japanese this looks to be inspiring a surprising amount of interest, although whether this is down to the “quality” of the product or sheer dislike of the Vita is not always clear:

“I might actually want this.”

“I’d buy it for a laugh at that price.”

“PS Vista – a name which rips off two for the price of one.”

“If it can manage the SNES I’d like one for Tactic Ogre.”

“Good for the price.”

“Reminds me of the PolyStation…”

ps-vista-010.jpg

“If you can run new ROMs on it then there’s bound to be plenty of demand.”

“You can, apparently.”

“The report says you might regret buying it, but you could say that about the real thing too…”

“They could replace the real one with this and it would be an improvement!”

“China sometimes makes fakes which are more useful than the real thing, doesn’t it?”

Comment by Actar
    20:02 13/06/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Waits excitedly for an Ashens review...

21:43 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

ive seen a Nentindo 69...

22:48 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

i've seen a Wii station3 64

I've DONE a Nintendo 69...

Comment by Nathan
    04:12 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I've put the cream on top of (princess) peach

Did it explode/implode?

22:36 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It's one of those rare quality Chinese products that SHOOT EXPLOSIONS.

Get one now and wreak havoc on your neighborhood.

03:09 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Loved his review on the Neo Double Games...you can play different games by swapping the actual screens lol

Comment by soyokaze
    20:55 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Ohh yes. However, he somehow has to get his hands on this tat.

Comment by toshironikko
    23:36 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

anyone have a link to where i can buy one? might send one to ashens myself >_>

01:04 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Never forget, that a Chinese pirate is the same as a pirate from our side. Except they make best cracks, rep stuff and host stuff faster and better than all of us combined. They even make the fucking hardware to match their cracked software or homebrewed wares. How many of us can say that about our pirating experience.

10:13 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not hard to pirate hardware when you live/work in the same factory where the originals are made. Much of Chinese piracy is done after-hours; make the real PS Vita during the day ---> Make fake PS Vita at night using the same equipment.

23:19 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Just wait until they hack the PS Vita, with my hacked PSP I have been playing Arcade games, SNES, Mega-Drive, PSX, PSP and when I install the propper emulator I will be able to play GB and GBA too!

01:08 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The Vita still has shit battery life, less than my fucking phone, so it's not really all that good either way. And hacking won't happen, Sony is too stuck-up to at least let the thing reach its full potential with emulators.

Too bad the Vita isn't strong enough for a PS2 or GC emulator, or even a DC one, because THAT would be awesome

I think there must be something wrong with your Vita, mine has great batery life.

Comment by Chen-04
    04:37 14/06/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

3h isn't great battery life. The Game Boy lasted 30 to 40 hours. Anything below 10h of battery life is just pathetic.

13:32 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@Chen-04
    Le me looking at my laptop. (Sadface)

01:29 15/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't really say anything below 10 hours is 'pathetic'. You won't typically be using a handheld gaming device away from an external power source for much more than a few hours at a time. It might be nice to be able to go days between charging, like with the DS Lite, but it's not absolutely necessary for a device that's only used a few hours at a time. Why bulk the device up with a large battery when it won't be needed under most circumstances?

The Gameboy might have had significantly longer battery life, but it didn't have an integrated rechargeable battery either. Most people at the time used disposable alkalines, so running out of battery power meant replacing 4 AAs, making the run time much more important.

I would prefer for my 3DS to have somewhat longer battery life though. I suppose in another year or two, an updated model will likely come out that uses newer, more energy efficient hardware. The same will likely happen with the Vita as well.

20:06 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Holy shit there's a tv out!! Seriously... handheld games should learn something from these pirates.

14:17 15/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Supposedly it's some sort of magical box able to display MOVING images and sounds. There are theories but nobody truly knows how it originated, how it works, or where the hell the images and sounds are coming from.

Personally, I think the only logical explanation is sorcery.

13:47 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

going in person = actual thing. buying online = you get a boulder or something unexpected a loli lol

01:26 18/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

if it same with a GLASS face like iDevices do and Vita should have, I'd already say it is a better product. Fucking Sony, the last thing I need is another portable that scratches every time my nails touch.

Comment by Imyou
    00:55 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe tempting as an emu-player, but beware of the battery - it is probably a literally no-name Chinese lithium-ion pack. You know the various cases of exploding phones? Usually cheap third party batteries. The exploding laptops? GOOD brand batteries, not made quite right.

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    00:48 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

This is filed under "Marx should have been a Chinaman ala Yellow Peril from classic Pulp Adventure"

First, any technology they use in manufacture gets filed away for their knowledge base, plus it's used (likely the same equipment/factories) to make knock-offs for more $.

This is:

"FLom Each aKKolding tu he AbiRity, Tu Each aKKolding tu he need!"

And note that it isn't really that much cheaper to have things made in China. Only with not just no tariff, but many tax breaks and subsidies to jobs overseas does it make a profit. Lots of tax money is spent to move jobs overseas, just so a few get much wealthier.

Why would a "Communist" country help especially the USA do this? Well, simply put it drains the "Wicked decadent west" dry while increasing their wealth. And power, too. They could do far more damage now to the USA and Europe without firing a shot than they could if they had twice the USA's military capability.

Not that they aren't catching up on the latter, with even DEFENSE manufacturing being progressively outsourced. Who needs SPIES when you have modern Capitalism.

Thus the next statement:

"Da Rast Kapitarists shar Shell us da lope with which we sharr hang them!!!"

So, while I have non-PC fun switching R and L, I don't blame China for doing what it is doing. It makes perfect sense.

What is the excuse of the "Wicked West"?

19:52 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Old cronies that want to live forever need more money, MORE MONEY SPEND MORe MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Yes Bateman I love your business card BUT CHECK THIS OUT Century Gothic, Gold Lining made from Cocaine paper

Comment by Raul Rayven
    14:47 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I won't buy that. Ever.

12:30 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't get fooled, the quality of that is actually very bad. I have one that is a PSP version and the loading speed is worse than a nintendo or gameboy. And it can't play PSP games. Yes it has a camera and other stuff but it as good as trash.

Comment by Satonaka
    10:18 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

DId the Vita really do that badly? I have one and I don't have very many problems with mine

Problems: Cant remoteplay my PS3 games which I was promised I could.

no PS1 games still... and/or crappy selection.

no PSP games either, not buying certain games again for full price, still got my PSP for that.

they removed the option of using the VIta as "another controller" for the PS3 (hey missing the l3 and r3 buttons kill certain games i know... but I still wanted the option to do so XD)

no HDMI SUpport (huge loss for me personally, i Was looking forward to this one myself)

erm... can't think of anymore,

Positives: Uncharted GA, rocks, so does Gravity Rush.

AR is ok I guess, nothing too special for those free "games"
    Stardust is pretty fun, a quick game during a lunch break at work is always cool.

Skype and internet work as well as I want them to, no flash or audio/video streaming is kinda bad tho, would like it soon.

Music player is always a plus, now I can give the Ipod a break :D

Group messaging works ok, kinda annoying how they show up on both my vita and ps3 tho, kinda sucks having to delete the same messages from two sources O_o

Most common app I use on the go is by far FOursquare, love racking up them points at the restaurants :D

Ran out of stuff to type, but does anyone wanna fill me in on how bad it really did? Seems like it did "Ok" from where I am anyway.

22:48 15/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I have no clue where you got your´s from, but my ps vita can do remote play, cross play and also backwards play(from psn don't worry their are price drops) for psp and do 2 player against the two.
    Also, what are you talking about the r3 and l3 or even a r2 and... you get the idea.(ps vita only has l&r buttons)
    Not complaining, in fact, I've used the web browser to type this message you now are reading (I hope you are anyway). So yeah, It's an amazing handheld with sharp textures for any game I've played on it.(sorry for being anonymous, feel free to pm me on my you tube account "penwoopydo")less awesome face time ¤₩¤ ¦°-<

Comment by Satonaka
    11:32 16/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I type on the vita on sankaku from time to time as well XD

By remote playing I mean like I was hoping to do single player Uncharted (yeah I know I cant do MP, that's impossible XD)

I messed up when I put up the l3 and r3 buttons, I mean l2 and r2, but yeah, a little tweak here and you can set the back touch pad to replicate it somewhat. I still wanted to try playing an Uncharted game, any of them in campaign mode with the vita as a controller to see how the transition works from regular PS3 controller to PS vita's rear touch pad.

I guess I just don't have the "right" games for remote play or cross play it seems, hopefully they make a persona 4 the arena for both PSV and PS3 since MVC3 does it, but I bought the game for the PS3 before the Vita came out, and I can't buy the same game full price for two systems >,< aint happening...

all in all tho, still lovin my Vita, It's pretty much my all in one device and I never leave home without it.

Now for that extra battery and a good on-the-go case/pouch set and I'm ready for the long run :D

Comment by Roberta
    21:26 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

This time should ha ha ha ...

21:24 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

That PolyStation...

22:21 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone still denying that they're stealing corporate secrets and profiting? From Apple, and now Sony and Microsoft.

22:29 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe Apple and Sony , well the rest of these corporate giants need to look at pricing structures for these devices, I mean they a re luxuries afterall not essentials.

Of course if someone is going to make a copy of something and sell it for cheaper people will buy it due to the lower cost, look at all the gameboy/DS roms and emulators on the net for example.

We need cheaper genuine products, they will still get their huge profits and we will no longer need to buy `knock-off` products. problem solved.

22:49 13/06/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

It used to be that knockoffs are only cheaper. Now they're better too due to money-grabbing megacorps putting in innovations such as DRMs.

When you intentionally screw up your own product, you'll do a better job at it than competitors who don't do so on purpose.

Comment by Char
    00:06 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Unfortunately this is true.
    A good example the PS3 really did do everything when it had Linux including having the ability to be clustered for greater performance after they removed other OS this claim is now a bold face lie.
    Well unless you jail break it and get other OS functionality back.

A great device that is so locked down with DRM you can hardly use it is like getting a delicious pie but it's topped with a fresh dog turd.
    It doesn't matter how good it is if it's covered in shit.

Comment by shiroki
    23:20 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Except free is always better than even 10 cent, or even 1.

23:12 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

เหี้ย...ประเทศกรูดังซะงั้น

23:16 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

น่าชื้อมาก - -*

เครื่องเกมดักควายชัดๆ

21:06 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

This is what people say today..

"GOD created the WORLD and OTHERS by CHINA"..LOL

22:56 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If god made everything he must be from china lol

21:03 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Pirate that pirated OS and put it on the real device, like that there won't be a problem with that shitty hardware of the fake.

22:43 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Hardware are all made in China. The only difference is they don't have DRMs and such genius innovations.

When you intentionally screw up your own product, you'll always do a better job at it than people who don't do it on purpose.

Comment by KingFisher
    20:17 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

How intriguing that the fake is better than the original.

08:19 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nah, there's no way this piece of shit is better than the original Vita.

20:28 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

not really, if you have played unlimited blade works or watched nisemonogatari, the fake or imitation can sometimes be actually more superior than the original.

20:46 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

thats what he just said you blithering idiot

06:52 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anonymous 20:46
    Reading comprehension: fail.

01:21 14/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

i lolled at the Oxhorn easteregg :D

21:18 13/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Blithering idiot? Wtf...