anzu-futaba-neet-moe.jpg

The tale of a long-suffering imouto who would rather see her anime otaku brother dead than continuing his NEET existence has moved many online – and given that NEETs, hikikomori and otaku are widely regarded as the lowest forms of life in Japan, many are moved only to condemn her brother’s parasitic existence.

The original supplicant (thought to be his imouto):

I have an elder brother who turns 19 in September.

He was bullied a bit in high school, and took 2 years off. Then he was diagnosed with a social phobia at hospital.

After that he had to change school, and after a day stopped going, and has been off school ever since. I don’t know how to deal with him.

I don’t care if he doesn’t work full time, but I’d like him to work at least a few hours.

He gets and allowance from our mother every month, I honestly wish he’d stop! (I don’t get one)

Our mother can’t really buy the things she wants, and she pays the phone bills too, quite a bit with all our calls.

He also wanted our mother to buy him anime BDs, and I told him to make do with novels as they are really expensive, but she’s sure to get him them all the same.

He takes $350 worth of medicine every month, and on top of that he makes her pay for his mobile and give him an allowance. Isn’t there something wrong with this picture?

Our household is a single parent family, and there is also my older sister living with us, who is working. I only just graduated middle school, but thanks to my brother I wasn’t able to go to high school, I’m having to work part time and study with a friend in the hopes of attending university.

It’s hard being at home.

I’m really glad when he does occasionally go out, but mainly I just wish he would not come back.

I wish I could leave, or else that my brother would die. What should I do? I’m going to go crazy if I stay put.

The online verdict comes down squarely in the “better dead than NEET” camp:

“You guys again!”

“Think of your siblings!”

“Hurry up and kill yourselves!”

“Even I’m not this bad…”

“There really are some people it’s better to kill off.”

“NEETs are just society’s garbage.”

“There are so many of these mothers who pamper their scummy sons, aren’t there!”

“What would all you NEETs and anime otaku do?”

“Put some rope out for him.”

“Give him some charcoal briquettes.”

“Go and work in a soap.”

“Killing him would be an act of filial piety.”

“What kind of mother lets this get in the way of her daughter going to school?”

“Honestly, there should be some scholarships or something she can take. She’s just blaming her brother for her own failures.”

“Go to school! Even if only part time! Or was that a lie…”

“Even if he was bullied, the fact he couldn’t recover probably demonstrates what trash he is.”

“I used to think nobody could be this bad, but some time spent on Nico opened my eyes. It was quite the culture shock…”

“Blame his father. To have left them, he was probably some wife-beater or alcoholic, and so he raised this adult child and he and his mother became codependent. It may look like he’s to blame, but it’s probably his father not paying child support which caused this.”

“My family’s just like this one. My sister pesters our mother for cash and starts cutting up clothes if she doesn’t get it, saying she’ll become depressed.  It’s our mother’s fault – she squandered her child support and maltreated her.”

“It’s better just to dump a family as poisoned as this.”

“It costs that much to medicate him? How many drugs is he taking?”

“It seems suspiciously high…”

“It isn’t – the only way psychiatrists have of making money is selling drugs, so they put out and prescribe vast amounts of them.”

“Still, they should be getting some assistance with that amount?”

“The mother is total scum. Quit spoiling him!”

“Is this definitely his imouto?”

“Only a female would spend so much time moaning on the Internet.”

“The girl who wrote this sounds as crazy as he is.”

“Just have it out with him.”

“Poor people should not be keeping NEETs. Give him $1000 and then hound him out. Only rich people should be allowed to keep NEETs.”

“If their household is so poor, why luxuries like mobile phones and BDs? She should be worrying about herself rather than her brother or mother, and aim for independence.”

“He’s 19, there’s still a chance he could reform.”

“He’s 19, the real hell is yet to come.”

“Just cut off his Internet access…”

Comment by Yamamaya
    08:24 18/05/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

A new Anime this summer. Moe imouto annoyed by her brother's NEET life is fed up.
    "Big brother! Your a disgusting NEET and Otaku! I wish you'd die!."
    "You're so cute when your mad lil sis!"
    "What!?...DUMMY!"

Comment by steve
    12:39 18/05/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

im pretty sure the imouto was just being tsundere. XD

16:53 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

Thank you for your insight, Captain.

12:59 22/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Tyciol lmfao you just made my night!

Comment by tyciol
    09:15 20/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It's her own fault, bro is prob getting all that money and BDs because he's boning his mom. If she wants him to share, she must service her oniichan.

13:04 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

My little sister can't be that tsundere. Moee~!!!

02:56 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If the little sister is a 'Hottie' I'm totallt siding with her! Hell, I'll sell him to the Yakuza and be her hero!

They should just make a home for NEETS, with 1 TV, ugly nurses, and a meager allowance, they'd all find jobs and places to live fast.

13:46 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

And dubbed by rie-chan.

Comment by Ben

I was laughing real hard to this comment XD

i gonna keep her in my house rape her everyday

Comment by tyciol
    09:16 20/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

At least put a comma between house and rape.

18:40 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My Little Sister Can't Be This sociopathic!

02:14 20/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Materialistic Japanese girl is less worried about her brother's mental well being than she is about her own handbags.

Comment by denn
    11:19 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Some imouto physical therapy is called for. A few massages and he'll be all the better!

19:24 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

also with a lot of insertion.

He won't resist the imouto charm.

10:15 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish it happans :o

11:08 18/05/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Actually, there's a mistake in your translation here.
    The brother didn't want the mum to buy him Anime BDs, but he wanted her to buy him empty BDs to copy anime on them. So basically he probably downloads the stuff or records it from TV. So basically she gets angry about him wanting stuff that's a few dollars.

12:35 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Okay. That makes more sense, since anime in Japan is like hundreds of dollars.

Comment by tyciol
    09:34 20/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't recall seeing empty BDs sold. Are they cheaper than putting your torrented shit onto external drives? Still seems troublesome to me.

Comment by AnarchystBR
    05:47 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

Little she knows that her brother is also into loli H doujinshi.

07:57 18/05/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

or is into imouto moe~

13:01 22/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah he is more interested in brushing her teeth for her. That would be fun!

08:04 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

yeah and those people can't get back into society because the way they're treated by it...

i can only send my wishes to all those fucks to end up in same situation as people with social phobia.. maybe then they'll understand how much those people suffer.

12:04 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

i can see that her real concern is money...

imagine if they were filthy rich, this problem wouldn't of existed for her....

17:02 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Her brother's selfish lifestyle is deterrent to her and her entire family. Implying she is somehow being greedy is absolute bullshit.

If they were filthy rich, then her brother's lifestyle would not directly harm them, hence the difference.

13:04 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Well yes the problem is money, but what irks me about it is she can't go to school because of the drain.

18:42 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

He can't go to school either.

17:37 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Which brings us back to the general problem: capitalism :3

In socialism he'd get a job, if he wanted to or not. Of course.. there wouldn't be any anime BDs and other stuff.

09:58 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The soviet idea of socialism does not represent socialism in general.

13:10 20/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

So it is so funny ppl think USA's capitalism represent capitalism in general.

02:07 24/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You could actually have the stuff that makes most sense out of both. It's called democratic socialism and it's not a bad thing. Of course for americans its still "teh communistic devil!!!1"...probably.

Comment by PirateKing

Of course, all the cunt complains about is money. I wish all the moneygrabbing cunts like her would die !

Comment by Adom Jensom
    18:53 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Once again, PirateKing posts some womanhating garbage. Why shouldn't she be upset when her brother is afforded more luxuries than her? It's human nature.

She must be really ugly, else she could work as a JK and money wouldn't be a problem anymore.

So many opportunities for a young girl like her.

13:33 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You are an example of this, 30 years old virgin.

11:47 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

There's a difference between having a social phobia and being to lazy to contribute. I'm not denying that social phobias exist, just that far more people use it as an excuse than actually have them.

13:05 22/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

That is completely true my friend although the problem lies withing whether or not they have it or just use it as an excuse.

12:27 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

In this case though the problem started with bullying, and that is actually quite a common pattern. Even in countries where being an outright hikki is impossible it has bad effects.
    But schools generally like to pretend the problem doesn't exist, for a variety of reasons*, and society at large isn't sufficiently aware of the social cost to force the schools to do something about it.
    ________
    *Some reasons: schools don't know what to do with bullies, some teachers were bullies themselves, school personnel simply doesn't have the time, not acting is always simpler than acting, bullying happens outside of school personnel's view or isn't recognised as such, people think victims should ‘just man up’, some have the view that bullying is an essential part of childhood necessary to create good entrepreneurs (gotta break some eggs to bake an omelette).

Social Phobias exist for everyone. But true humans grow and must face their fear and overcome to some degree or another. I can't even tell how many so-called 'social phobias' I've faced (with various forms of help, always friends and family with a few mentors, never psychology or drugs) just because I chose to face them with outside the box solutions I had to think up myself.

These people are just lazy. EVERYONE has fear, it is no excuse to not do anything. I am not against spending some time to collect oneself, but that must even eventually.

At 19, this guy does have a solid chance though. That is a strange age, but if he's avoiding all human contact, then that MUST stop. He's a coward and must get the fuck over it.

17:45 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You have absolutely no idea what a phobia is. You keep saying it as if it's equivalent to anxiety, which it most certainly is not.

Comment by Senjou
    16:10 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

>never psychology or drugs

Okay that is some weak phobias/mental issues you facing right there.

Drugs and psychology are there for a reason. That is to cure severe phobias and mental illness.

But then again, not like you will understand anyway.

23:39 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

While medications, like anti-depressants, can never be a cure for mental illness(if you have a mental illness, you're stuck with it for life), they do, however, curb suicidal thoughts and balance Serotonin levels.

Anxiety meds work differently, yet can still have a positive effect.

Combined with talk therapy and actually working through your traumas and issues, it can do wonders. Getting help for whatever is plaguing you is key, of course. You have to want to change. And there are many treatments. Some people refuse to be put on meds.

Still, if someone is a "moron of the highest level" for believing a pill will magically cure you of your problems, then likewise, believing that anti-depressants or some other such drugs will have no effect whatsoever must be like living in the stone age. Then again, perhaps Tom Cruise is a frequent SanCom visitor.

00:57 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

All fear comes from the same places, it's just to what degree your logic at the time of the phobia's (or 'anxiety' as you call fears you don't personally label as phobias) inception buried it in your psyche.

*I* don't need to label anything. Both anxiety and phobia are well defined in medical literature.

What's there to realize? Fear is a negative response to dangerous/stressful stimuli. It's not rocket science.

Care to explain exactly how am I "defending fear" by pointing out objective factual errors?

05:07 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Anon 23:39

I never said that they don't have an effect, but they sure as fuck aren't a 'cure.' The fact that I'm downvoted so much explains a lot about some of the inept people who frequent this place, but what else is new. None of the doctors or anyone involved in writing prescriptions for these meds are actually REALLY pushing the importance of discussion or working through the sources. The purpose of the drugs is a very short-term buffer zone to draw someone out of a downward spiral for a small amount of time so they can follow those routes and change their perceptions enough to pull themselves out.

Anxiety and phobia as defined by medical literature, and having experienced them for myself, I can officially say they can go fuck themselves. I've been through crippling fear where I couldn't move, I've been through stuff that made me shiver in public and fear to the point I couldn't leave my house. It's ALL from the SAME place. Just because the approaches to taking down the defenses for them are different doesn't mean they don't occupy the same place in the mind in regards to fear. The 'definition' for 'cured' in cancer for example is if you're still breathing after 5 years. Doesn't matter if you're in bed dying, if you hit 5 years and you can breathe, you're counted as 'cured' by your treatments. So fuck anything the modern medical community pretends to know about its own drugs. Pharmaceutical companies defined many of the psychiatric lies we have to this day, and they're the ones who make shit people get dependent on. So no, you really don't understand a damn thing. Unless you too know someone with "Sleep Work Disorder" or some stupid fucking shit like that.

I never said anything about not believing their effect, but to believe they actually treat anything is the mark of a moron of the highest order. Suppressing symptoms is not a treatment. Never was, never will be. But doesn't change that enough stupid people don't know how to think enough to believe it is. That's why medicine is the number one killer in our country. Far above anything else.

10:37 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@5:07

The fact of the matter is, it does work for people.

Comment by KleinerKokiri
    18:48 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

In my family, mental illness is rather common. This means, I know how medication can change someones mind. I've seen intelligent people become degenerated, after they took drugs. Dumbed down by them.

Drugs are not a cure for anything. They just treat symptoms. If you're able to do it without them, I would recommend that.

@ Anon 17:45

If you actually realize what a fear is, be it irrational or otherwise, it's the difference between a conscious anchor and a subconscious anchor. One you can know, and one that's in your blindspot. Both are taken care of the exact same way in your mind, it may just be a different technique to find and release the anchor.

You don't even realize that you're actually sitting there DEFENDING FEAR! Don't do such useless shit. Be compassionate toward fear, but also don't let it bullshit you into pretending that fear prevents action. At that point it's laziness, because ramming face first into the fear is not the only action one can take. In fact that's probably the dumbest way to do it (even if there are many thousands of people who overcome theirs every day by doing just that).

Comment by Agon
    15:06 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I logged in just to vote this comment up.

16:46 18/05/2012 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

@Senjou

You are a true moron of the highest order if you believe any pill or any drug can 'cure' you of cowardice. You are a weak-minded idiot to believe so, pure and simple, which explains why you didn't have the mental prowess to go beyond drugs in the first place.

Fear is fear, every fear is psychological, and can be broken down and explained and then subsequently controlled by an exercised mind. There is psychological technologies across the board that exist to truly find the source and affect it. Neuro-linguistic Programming, Landmark Education, etc. so on and so forth. There are literally dozens of technologies, and all of them are based on you not being an egotistical fuckwit to have you face the source of your fears from your past.

But of course your fears are more special than everyone else's, right? It's 'not like I would understand anyway." By the way, the only people who use the phrase "Not like you will understand anyway" are teenagers who don't know their ass from their elbow. There is no other person I have met who has the gall to use that phrase to someone they know nothing about, because teenagers are the only ones still self-absorbed enough to believe it.

Natural selection. The weak fucks that can't adapt should just be left to die.

16:22 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

more like unnatural selection. nothing is natural about this 'real' world

17:30 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah natural selection....
    You are human being you dont follow natural order if you want to talk about natural selection throw away all unnatural things (or things that cause hram to nature) like PC,TV,GAMES ETC and go living with squirls or something.
    BTW by your logic people with weal imunity system should just die without using any medication.

18:11 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah natural selection....

The natural in natural selection does not stand for naturalistic. It stands for "unaffected by external factors for the given system".

Oh and by the way, get yourself a spell checker.

00:59 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Natural selection. The weak fucks that can't adapt should just be left to die.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one that is most adaptable to change."
    - Charles Darwin

13:05 22/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You have no idea what he MAY be going through.

Capitalism is hardly natural.

17:12 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"Natural selection" is not supposed to be taken literally. Kind of like how black holes aren't neither black, nor holes.

Comment by PirateKing
    14:27 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Then dumb fucks like you would be dead too...hmmmm...

13:06 22/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

From what I learned pirates are also dumb fucks PirateKing....And you're a king correct? Understand what I am implying matey?

Natural selection is a process based on probability, not set-in-stone criteria. It's an imperfect process, as you can tell by the image in the mirror.

14:10 18/05/2012 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

Social phobia = Bad excuse to being a disgusting burden to society, better kill yourselves or at least, get a job and stop wasting my tax money.

15:53 18/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

social phobia = inflicted by dick like you
    your tax = damage fee

live a nice life fucker

21:58 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Tax money is wasted in so many stupid shit anyway...

15:39 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

No one cares about you.

13:07 22/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Like hell you know. It is real and a person can't always recover from it. I would prefer it if you faced reality instead of being such an ignorant child.

10:32 18/05/2012 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

ya ims orry i hurt ur feelings anon

Maybe if you fucking faggots grew a pair and stood up (like everyone else, don't think you're special with your petty existence and lack of guts) for once you'd see how stupid it is to recluse yourself and leech off your family for your idiotic hobbies and pastimes because OH GOD PEOPLE TOLD YOU UGLY THINGS POOR YOU YOU SHALL JACK OFF TO CARTOON LITTLE GIRLS ALL DAY LONG AND ARGUE INANE SUBJECTS IN IMAGEBOARDS

Go be someone in society before it's too late, your only source of income is going to perish one day with the thought that they failed in raising you lingering past their deaths.

You know, you would have a point if these people had PTSD, but SOCIAL PHOBIA? That's...pathetic.

17:29 18/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

> you'd see how stupid it is to recluse yourself and leech off your family for your idiotic hobbies and pastimes

Oh we do. It's just that your comments clearly expose you as one of those bullies that are causing this problem too. And hence, in your case, we are happy for every burdens thrown at you, especially taxes you pay for your victims.

13:12 22/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Social phobia is a mental illness what part of that can you frakkers not understand!? Not everybody is like you and won't be affected by bullying. Although the thing is you wouldn't have been able to have been afected by it because you probably are the bully. Please reflect on yourself and your actions before you and all your little groupies try to degrade people even further. I actually find people like you to be the lowest of society BECAUSE YOU ARE! Now then, I hope that by reading this you would have gotten my message through that headstrong skull of yours and sat down and began thinking about what the hell is going on here!

YES you sure are spcialist in psychologic field!-.-
    Simpleminded fucks like you make me sick .

00:09 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Simpleminded fucks like you make me sick .

If only you could see the irony...