big-mugi-chan.jpg

With the ending of K-ON! confirmed, speculation as to why it was dumped rages – and most seem to consider the problematic university setting as being at fault.

k-on-terminated.jpg

The ending being settled, the most significant remaining questions are over what will happen to the remaining manga and what Kyoto Animation’s plans are. For their part, the publishers have so far declined to comment on whether Azusa’s remaining manga will continue or not.

Although this announcement was followed by considerable upset online, it has also been noted that in comparison to previous K-ON! finales the fan reaction was positively blasé.

This has been put down to the entrenched fan sentiment that “K-ON! is a story about high-school girls” and the the university version “destroys this image.”

More practical objections have also been raised, most notably the problems of maintaining a realistic storyline about a circle of female students without any romantic developments.

Even more vexing is the issue of what creepy otaku would do should their favourite end up with a boyfriend, and what effect a bunch of “second-hand” moeblobs might have on the franchise.

Online there is a certain amount of agreement that university life may have been taking things too far in the first place:

“Having a story about a bunch of students who aren’t actually rutting like crazy with each other is pretty unrealistic, isn’t it?”

“They missed the proper end point, basically.”

“It’s like one of Jump’s artificially drawn out titles now.”

“It has too many characters now. Fans only care about the HTT 5. And they dumped Azusa.”

“The university clubs and excess of characters ruined it really.”

“They didn’t have many characters until uni. I think they just couldn’t work out how to end it.”

“This frankly feels more like the author asking them to let him end it as he’s out of ideas, as opposed to it just being canned for being unpopular. And there were all sorts of gaps in the serialisation too.”

“If they can just get together with KyoAni and secure enough material for a third season, I will be happy!”

06:30 09/05/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Might this also have something to do with the supposed protest by mangakas against the law that would make publishers share the rights to the titles with the authors... On the premise of anti-piracy.

The source mentioned that a lot of mangaka are going to "end" their manga for the time being to prevent the publishers gaining rights to them...

Can't say if I trust it though, I've only read it from that single source and it didn't really seem that trustworthy... Still, this news kinda reminded me of it.

Source in question: http://astronerdboy.blogspot.ca/2012/03/new-proposed-japanese-law-reason-ken.html

Comment by Firetribe
    10:57 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Hmmm interesting. This would explain the sudden endings of manga series.

So if there is more info or a way to confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated.

12:03 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's 100% why Akamatsu ended Negima so quickly. He spent the last few months taking whatever original material and art he could away from his office and hoarding it at his house, preparing for lawsuits.

01:12 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm thats interesting, I do hope it is a form of protest would be pretty ballsy.

Comment by The REAL Lamberto
    19:47 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, I'm getting sick and tired of these retarded haters coming here and bash K-On! STFU and get a life, you losers. We get it. You like HQ anime like Haruhi, Code Geass, and Death Note. Just stop, you're putting your Type A otaku kind into shame!

15:47 09/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Indeed. Fuck the publishers. All you do is print it to the masses. The Authors deserve all the attention , money and recognition+Ownership. Fuck you.

Comment by Kaarme
    06:55 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Based on the behavior of the Japanese otaku, you'd think they own all the rights to the characters and the story, instead of the mangaka or the publishers.

07:57 09/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

Er...I'm in university and the vast majority of my class doesn't have a boy or girlfriend. I don't see how a club of girls that aren't romantically involved with anyone is unrealistic in any way. It's almost as if they think humans go crazy and start killing people without a lover. Like it's as if it's a requirement, rather than an addition to ourselves...is our species really that weak and incapable of being happy with ourselves?

Comment by Actar
    09:01 09/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

Tell me about it... A romanceless Uni life? Not as uncommon or unusual as one might think.

18:20 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Tell me about it, I mean people go to University to study? ... get out of here.

04:35 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Mieyaoe?

Did someone mention 'uncommon'?

14:27 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Mine has no romance. It does have pancake. Lots of pancakes.

23:19 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Me too. It has video games and anime.

18:34 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Maple syrup. Scrub your mind.

18:56 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

So that's how you call it.

08:10 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I have that familiar feel.

with semens?

Comment by Lonesnipa
    10:29 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Shit considering that I'm sure that most of the people who frequent this site don't have a boy or girlfriend (I'm no exception) it really shouldn't be that surprising.

Comment by Firaku
    21:55 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

And what are there ronry otaku basing all this uni romance on? Certainly not their own experiences I'm sure.

Just cos uni is the time we can start really going crazy in our young lives, doesn't mean shitloads of course work and (getting a realistic perception of obtainable romantic life)won't get in the way.

Comment by Gitami
    11:46 11/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

When I enrolled into a prestigious university, they gave me a magical fraternity badge. I can't seem to take it off.

13:36 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it's highly dependent upon the context and circumstances of your situation. I'm no exception either, and my circumstances and personallity contribute equally to this. I'd certainly agree that only those who haven't actually done a meaningful degree wouldn't understand.

13:31 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yep, I see the same thing in engineering too. Everyone's too fucked up to worry about romances. Though i have bastard friends who were quite lucky >.>

14:29 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, the engineers do engage in romance....with their equipment and their equations! They get high from engineering practical solutions. They can't do anything without thinking about 'how I can do this better' and their dreams is full of optimizing and maintaining one thing or another.

22:42 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Being a university student without having a boyfriend or girlfriend may not be unusual, but it probably wouldn't be interesting enough for a manga.

18:12 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I don't have what you could call a girlfriend but i can tell you that every party at Uni is a real orgy ...

12:07 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

As someone who did find live in college, I too am in the minority amongst my peers at the moment. My current best friends are still virgins in their mid-20s and 30s.

It's television tropes and expectations that assume sex is in everything. Sure people get horny and masturbate in college (I knew a group of girls who bought each other vibrators for their birthdays), but it isn't something you need to put in the manga for realism.

03:50 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You're all studying in the wrong university.

22:37 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

On the contrary, if you are in a university where 'shutting oneself in a library to pour over reference books' is the norm, along with the occasional 'drinking yourself under the table', you are in the right university.

15:39 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

where do you live? here you're seen as an outcast if you don't have a girlfriend/boyfriend. So a group of girls with not a single one in a relationship is completely unrealistic.

22:36 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the place you live in might be one of the exceptions in which pop culture and shows like Jersey Shore has gotten to everyone's minds. Generally here in Holland and all other countries I've seen it's normal and people don't really care about whether you're single or not unless they're actually interested in you. Though you'll sure as hell be seen as an outcast if you 'look/act' the part, but that's another story.

10:03 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Sadly,with the way the modern world has conditioned the human race with pop culture and advertisements raising expectations in life to ridiculous levels,yes the human race IS that weak. We're doomed.

FUCK! all you haters are death note and code geass fans!piss off!

20:25 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

WTF did he even say anything about what you're talking about...

Comment by Kaze
    06:53 09/05/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Aw man. I liked the new characters. I wanted to see them all graduate college and start new lives...

10:18 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

your parents probably wants to see you graduate and move out of their basement too.

10:56 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Asshole anon is an asshole.

11:31 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

"Asshole anon"
    One of these words is redundant.

18:04 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

whoever you are annonymous u can go shot you self and hope the maker finds u. your commet are very rude to the other viewers

03:00 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

i hate anons who promote violence.

17:43 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh now it's ON!

00:47 12/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

ouch !! anon take 5 damage

anon died ...

They actually said i could stay here lol.. when i tried to move out they stopped me lol

10:54 09/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

i smell blatant lies in here..

12:18 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

so what if he is lieing lol... its not cheap to get your own place and keep up with anime and shiz :P

12:17 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

haha mommies boy

14:26 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I can believe it, considering that my own mother loathed the idea of me moving out. The last time I went overseas, she went into depression.

02:35 11/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If the author really ran out of ideas and just wanted this to end he can always just make them all end up with boyfriends and watch the hilarity ensue from the nerd rage.

BECAUSE SOME MEN JUST WANT TO WATCH THE WORLD BURN

07:08 09/05/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

If the author(s) of a series are out of ideas, they should do the smart thing and just end it. If they let it drag on, they end up with abominations such as the latter years of the American cartoon. "Peanuts".

Comment by kamehappo
    08:36 12/05/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Aren`t all American cartoons abominations? And just plain ugly & sick?

16:54 12/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No, there are many great, even amazing shows. Besides, how can you say that to begin with? Don't be so generalizing.

07:36 13/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Thundercats 2011 and Young Justice say hi.

14:58 19/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Both are bullshit! American "hero" cartoons sucks a lot!

Ben 10, Young Justice, Teen Titans, Thunder cats, etc are the same shit!

yeah... I really liked K-ON season 1 and 2, then I read the manga, and it was only crap, honestly. Season 2 was already too much.

09:03 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, I enjoyed season 2 much more than season 1.

15:46 09/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Season 1 of the anime was the only good K-On of Anything.

BRING BACK LUCKY STAR YO.

A show deserving of a second season and definitely more comics!!