Atelier Ayesha Dumps Kishida Mel & 2D Events

atelier-arcier-1.jpg

Gust has unveiled the latest title in its Atelier series of alchemy (and latterly, moeblob) RPGs, “Atelier Ayesha- The Alchemist of the Land of Dusk” (English title not yet confirmed) for the PS3 – along with the unexpected revelation that is is dumping Kishida Mel as illustrator along with all the 2D event scenes, prompting something of a stir online.

Update: The official title has since been confirmed as “Atelier Ayesha.”

atelier-arcier-2.jpg

The biggest change the new game brings is that all the art and character designs will now be undertaken by “Hidari” rather than Kishida Mel as in the last 3 “Arland” games.

Hidari is perhaps best known for producing the character designs to ill-fated Yamakan tombstone anime Fractale, along with some Vocaloid art – not that he is anything but highly skilled, as can be seen from some of his previous works.

hidari-1.png
hidari-2.jpg
hidari-3.png

Since the game takes place in an entirely new setting (rendered in English as either “The Land of Dusk” or the “The Land of Twilight”), it is not clear what plans Gust has for the existing Arland series, although some Kishida-illustrated titles intended for fujoshi delectation should be in the offing.

The Atelier series has of course changed art-style a number of times, although most would probably consider the franchise’s recent popularity in no small part due to Kishida’s hyper-moe art-style – not that it would do for the games to become too tied to Kishida’s slightly monotonous art.

As far as the game goes, Gust apparently claims 2D event scenes will be dumped in favour of 3D model usage throughout, but that this will be accompanied by more detailed models and a wider variety of animation.

The models do indeed appear to be improved:

atelier-arcier-3.jpg
atelier-arcier-4.jpg

The story centres on Ayesha’s search for her carelessly lost but immensely precious imouto Nio, amidst a formerly glorious civilisation in its twilight years and a world in decline.

Another major change to the story will be that the game will apparently not enforce a time limit for completion as in the previous titles.

The game is due in Japan on the 28th of July for the PS3, with the barbarian edition as yet unannounced.

The title is now confirmed as “Atelier Ayesha”:

aterlier-ayesha.jpg

(No official romanisation of the title (アーシャのアトリエ – “Aashaa no Atorie”) has yet been revealed, but some digging online reveals “アーシャ” to have already been used in the names of a few minor enterprises as a rendition of the vaguely French-sounding “Arcier,” and with the alternative being “Arsher” it can only be hoped this is correct.)

All of this change has prompted a generally positive reaction amongst fans, who do not seem overly concerned about one superb artist being replaced by another:

“Sexy!”

“It’s looking a bit more mature, great.”

“Looks better than Mel.”

“The atmosphere looks to have gone back to how it was before Arland.”

“It’s alright. Not got the impact of the Rorona.”

“The modelling has really advanced.”

“Imouto-chan is too cute…”

“The 3D looks great.”

“Nah, the first one is probably an illustration!”

“Looks old-fashioned.”

“The modelling improved? You’re pulling my leg. It’ll just be rubbish Wii level 3D again.”

“How could anyone be unhappy with this!”

“Look at those boobs!”

Comment by SaltyPenguin
    22:54 28/03/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

“The 3D looks great.” I never thought I'd hear someone on 2ch say this, and from the looks of it, it might be true too.

21:06 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Does it look 3D?

06:15 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

no Kishida Mel, no Atelier...

will only play Atelier if Kishida Mel is the artist.

07:25 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Poor guy. Guess he's out of a job, back to drawing hentai doujinshi.

02:46 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do people hate fractle?

09:50 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

For the same reason other people hate other things. Because they don't like it and see people compliment it too much for their tastes.

08:02 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I never read the manga, but I did like the anime. Maybe after the manga the anime was a real let down. Kind of like reading a book before the book's movie comes out.

08:30 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The manga came out after a few episodes of anime isn't it? Guess Fractale didn't live up to the "hype" as the director said it would.

06:01 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Good question.
    Damn haters gonna hate.

08:27 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Dont know. I myself think fractle was 1 of the best animes 2011.
    Was not only ecchi stuff 24/7 in high school setting. Thats why ppl hate I guess.

Comment by Firetribe
    03:03 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I's looks like they are take taking a more serious direction. The other games were pretty much dating sims that were full of hilarious light-hearted moe silliness.

I like Mel's work better, but having another artist work on the series would freshen things up. Though I hope this isn't last time Mel works on a game.

03:08 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

FYI, The official romanization according to Dengeki Playstation Vol.515 is Atelier Ayesha

Source(image): http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/473/473177/01_o_.jpg

06:19 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh some people are calling her Asha or here, Arcier

00:59 04/04/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont see why people would hate kishida mel art... but this is gust for every major Atelier game they release they change artists... this is normal <_< if anyone owns atelier chronicles they should understand better seesh.... and understand each series by their tradition should only last for 3 games
    Salburg has Marie Elie Judie
    Gramand has Viorete, Liesse and Annie IIRC
    Iris 1,2 and 3
    Mana Khemia, 1 and 2 (spin-off of a spin-off)
    Ar Tonelico (like Mana Khemia 1,2 and 3)
    Arsland Meruru, Totori, Rorona
    Elkrone so far its still stand alone
    Ayesha news here
    Ciel no Surge (off-shoot series of Ar Tonelico has 3 or more scenarios... DLC)

14:43 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Fractale was the shit!

08:21 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

“Look at those boobs!”

This dude read my mind so well. But yea, dumping Kishida Mel is kinda sad. I actually hope that they'll hire him permanently but seeing how even people like Amano could end up leaving the Final Fantasy series, that's quite expected.

Although I got to be honest, the 3D models do look really superb. For a moment, I actually thought those are still 2D drawings. Still going to miss the hand drawn style of cutscenes though.

23:31 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It's the environments that looked particularly awful in the 3d Atelier series. Many of them were plain and empty. Hopefully they'll do something about that.

23:38 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it just me but the character in hidari-1.png totally looks like Zange-chan?

23:46 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It's the original design for Phryne from Fractale.

00:00 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Not even close. Recommends optician.

23:30 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I was a little concerned but the end results look okay. I'll wait warmly.

Comment by Wertyxious
    23:24 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"ill-fated Yamakan tombstone anime Fractale"

Okay, I laughed.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    22:58 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The Land of Twilight huh? Go go .Hack!

22:58 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Kishida Mel did some good work. Best of luck on Hidari's part.

23:06 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Kishida's very feminine style worked well for the Atelier series. Ah, whatever, I'm still waiting on Meruru's localization.

02:38 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

As Asa said, I have my premium edition already pre-ordered for Meruru. Head to nisa's web-store to pre-order, as they are the only place that has the premium edition.

Comment by Asa
    23:33 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Meruru's localization is complete and is currently on pre-order.

23:48 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I am a great fan of Kishida's Art Work, but I have to accept that Hidari has more impact in the moves of his characters.

Kishida has a childish charisma and Hidari has a more powerful line.

In this case, the change was good.

02:39 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I am also a fan of Kishida's, though I agree with Gust's decision. You shouldn't tie a series to an artist. Make a trilogy with an artist (if it is good art), then find a new artist for the next.

00:41 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks more similar to the older Atelier style too!

23:50 28/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

That didn't hurt me as much as when I learned that Nagi no longer in charge of characters design for Ar.. I mean, Surge Concerto series.

00:52 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Same here. I wonder if Nagi will take part in some video games Chara-design soon, I really love his (or is it a her?) art and would love to seen a new game with him (her?) tasked with the Chara-design.

01:34 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Atelier Elkrone where?

14:00 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Out in Japan on April 12, I believe.

Comment by SpideyPHL
    01:52 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Not that I ever play any of these games because the gameplay seems insanely boring from what I've seen, but both art styles are great. This guy is just as talented as the last one, and 3D models in scenes is an upgrade no matter how you slice it, especially when they're that high quality.

00:01 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

whatever. hidari is just as good. im a lover of both styles and its good to rotate every now and then so that they can both have their moment in the sun. besides, kishida mel just got 2 anime that were based on his style. he'll be fine.

00:10 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

very sad. I loved the 2D arts in Atelier. It made the game heartful and warm.

English ver of anything is bad.. if its japanese leave it be because anything america gets there hands on from japan they destroy it but of course japan censorship has its flaws also i dont like pixelated penis or viginas! >=/

07:10 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sure Nisa will definitely be releasing this worldwide, and they usually include dual-audio, so those of can hear it in the original language. The Atelier series is also family friendly so there's really nothing to censor.

Comment by Neonie
    04:52 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how blatantly clear your comment makes it that you don't know anything about the Atelier games yet you are commenting on this article.

Like for instance, that in the U.S. NISA are the ones to put the games out. NISA also always leave the Japanese audio in the games because they know their audience. Therefore there was really no point at all to you typing up that comment, as the original version is on the disk.

20:44 29/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

NISA should be commended for leaving the JP audio track but they are also a bunch of two faced liars who intentionally rewrite text and are a prime example of the cancer that's infesting the English JRPG genre.