suginami-hikky-rampage.jpg

A hikikomori who carved up his brothers with a kitchen knife and then hanged himself after his twin brother dared to tell him to get a job has been highlighting the dangers of hikikomori interventions…

Police in Tokyo’s Suginami city learnt of the incident when they received an emergency call from an unemployed 75-year-old woman who reported that “my son is waving a knife around and stabbed his brothers!”

The catalyst for the incident was apparently the elder brother (45) lecturing his hikikomori sibling (45) and telling him to get a job, which caused him to fly into a rage and attack him. Their younger brother came upon the scene (42) and was then attacked himself.

Their mother lived in the same building and raised the alarm, and when police arrived they found the hikikomori had hanged himself, whilst his two brothers had been stabbed repeatedly and were in serious condition.

All three were taken to hospital, with the hikikomori being confirmed dead and the younger brother seriously injured, whilst the elder brother was so severely injured he remains unconscious in a critical condition.

The three brothers, the elder two of whom were twins, lived together with their elderly parents at the family home. Their father was not present during the incident, as he was receiving treatment at hospital.

Only the elder brother worked, although their parents were able to live comfortably off the rent they received from their numerous properties, and neighbours commented on how well maintained their residence was.

The substantial perils of interfering with a hikikomori’s isolation  are by now well known amongst those who it might be thought make up most of the hikikomori population themselves:

“Another one of your comrades is dead!”

“You guys, try to die on your own without incident.”

“Telling a hikikomori to work, this is a novel form of suicide…”

“There must be a lot of families like this around.”

“Telling a hikky to get a job is just reckless!”

“Kill yourself at the start. Annihilating your siblings is too cruel to your parents.”

“At least it all ended in their household.”

“This is your future! Please don’t drag other people into it, though.”

“At that age, it certainly would not be easy for them to get a job.”

“They were twins… I can kind of understand wanting to kill your ‘elder’ twin for lecturing you on how you should be working.”

“Thinking like that just makes you a potential murderer yourself!”

“The unemployed are seriously worse than any yakuza. Their families need to take responsibility for them.”

“Someone like that has nothing to lose, you cannot be sure what they will do.”

“Three single forty-something sons living together with their parents? Ye gods, what a squalid scenario!”

“He had the guts to do this and then hang himself. Finding a job should have been easy. It almost seems a waste.”

“I’m a fresh graduate and I can’t even find work. Some 40+ hiki is never going to find a job, even part-time.”

“And all this was on a Monday morning, what were they all doing there!?”

“A house that size in Suginami, their parents must have been elite and very wealthy…”

“I’m 25 and I can’t find work. No way could he.”

“With no experience, at 45 he couldn’t even get a part-time job at a conbini.”

“It’s amazing really. With Japan the way it is now, it really is easier for a hikikomori to kill themselves than to find work.”

“This is our future, getting nearer…”

21:46 31/01/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

is that guy's name Satou?

22:17 31/01/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

are you Satou?

22:20 31/01/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

i'm Satou?

Comment by HKE
    22:32 31/01/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

yay! Satous United

Comment by InuoeK
    22:22 31/01/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

we're all satou

23:01 31/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Satou!

00:45 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

welcome to the NHK!

Comment by Satou Tatsuhiro

No I'm the real Satou

22:20 31/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

Satou got a part time job in the end though :)

Comment by Hoshi
    00:06 01/02/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"an unemployed 75-year-old woman"

As opposed to all of those employed 75-year-olds who are everywhere.

06:19 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I know right? How do they expect the youth to find good work when the want people to work till they're dead!?

12:30 04/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

meh... we will all be replaced by robots soon

21:47 31/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

That guy is like those lazy wives that do nothing but eat your money.

23:03 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You are forgetting about the part where he spontaneously combusts in sunlight. Or something along those lines.

00:55 01/02/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Better than sparkling.

Comment by ArrowInTheKnee
    22:27 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

and when you ask them to work they will stab you with knife!! Joking I love my momma and my girlfriend

00:21 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You know that you picked something really wrong when you mention the words "my girlfriend" and "ask them to work"...

00:46 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

he must be european!

02:44 01/02/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

The workers are overworked and a there is no jobs available for the others, here's a tought, make the work shift shorter and hire two people instead. I worked in the video game industry and crunch time is hell, the normal Japanese workers do that all year long. If I lived there I probably would become a hikikomori too or kill myself because I don't want to work 80 hours a week.

Comment by kintama00
    22:17 31/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.4)

"it really is easier for a hikikomori to kill themselves than to find work"

lol!.. true.. not evry1 can kill themselves :s

Comment by Katsura
    21:54 31/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.4)

Shameful.

To turn a blade against your brothers, harakiri would not be enough.

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    22:22 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Not unless your relatives (brothers/siblings) were hated enough to want to keeel them bad enough.

This is why some relatives of certain families are seperated by vast distances.
    At reunions everyone is cordial and friendly, but later after a few drinks everyone remembers why they hate each other's guts, some will drag out old greivances and argue for the rest of the party occasionally there will be fisticuffs.

And every once in a while, someone gets killed - which you read about in the tabloids.

Some times its best to kill them now before it festers into a vendetta.
    Like it was between House Harkkonen and House Atreides and epic vendetta that tore both families apart.

^_^

Comment by RaspberryKisses
    23:28 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nice comment, Zura!

Comment by Katsura
    10:25 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not Zura. It's Katsura.

22:31 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah thats why he hang-akiri himself... 2ch's neets must be mourning..

Comment by Chen-04
    23:56 01/02/2012 # ! Good (+0.4)

Think about it. There isn't enough work for everybody. But there is still enough wealth for everybody. Not everyone has to work anymore. Isn't this a convenient world we live in? We had all those inventions that made life a lot easier even making lots of jobs plain unnecessary. So now we have a world were there isn't even the need to have everybody working. But still.. everyone needs to go to school and everyone is supposed to get jobs THAT DON'T EVEN EXIST. what the fuck, man. wtf.

01:38 02/02/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Love this post, its so true

04:41 02/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

the light at the end of the tunnel... what... i dont need to work..... get jobs that dont exist.... dont exist.... dont exist.... mhh maybe i should just dont care anymore.....

goes back to hikki shell.
    aint i lucky... there isnt hikki where i live ... its called differently ^^ and thus a lot less "hated".

if this internet rage can be considered hate.

01:33 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

get a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dead.

seriously? i think there is more to the story.

02:14 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

probably something like 30 years of shut-inness and groveling about the situation surrounding working oppurtinities... in his deepest slumb someone pressed the switch and boom ^^

and this certain someone was someone very close thus resulting in a more emotional problem. you can easily tell your friend goodbye... but your family as a hikki. wont happen so easily.

17:44 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If 3 brothers over 40 are living with thier parents, they most likley all have some form of social disability.

Eldest Brother probly manages the parents finances, thus thinks he is better than his other brothers and rubs it in thier faces by telling them what to do.

The man most likely snapped after his brother busted into his room, yelling at him to get a job, which the elder brother probly does a lot to show dominance.

The problem with hikikomori isn't that they are hikikomori, it's society refusing to acknowledge that those people need help, you just think they are weird or should go die. Most of them have had some kind of trauma which cause them to lose faith in humanity, or to hate other people outside of family.

My friend is kind of a hikikomori, he was in a tornado that destroyed half his town, he was trapped in his house for days because giant trees had fallen, surrounding his house. He was in a big neighborhood, yet while the news went on about how the town had come together as a helpfull society, no one bothered to check on the house surrounded by trees, until cadaver dogs showed up sniffing for dead bodies, 3 days after it had happened. He then had to go live with his sister under his power lines, and plumbing could be fixed, which he had no money to do so, and F.E.M.A. was giving him the run-around, saying he did not qualify for aid, even after a contractor had deamed his house unlivable, and totaled it. Until he could find a moving van to move his belongings out of his house, he had to leave them there, 5 days after the tornado, looters broke into his house and stole everything that wasn't nailed down. After 2 weeks of hassling police for information, they basically admitted they didn't do anything, and most likely would not to find the criminals. So, he lost his home, belongings, his dignity, and his faith in humanity. So he stays with his mom, whom his dad recently cheated on, just watching and re-watching any movie or anime that made him happy.

18:00 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

i can only imagine these... but
    i think the others in your scenario have had a big trauma too independently of someone helped them or not.

it just may be that the others are showing the "scars" differently.

anyway... i can understand him.

05:56 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

“I’m 25 and I can’t find work. No way could he.”

“With no experience, at 45 he couldn’t even get a part-time job at a conbini.”

Seriously, its the exact same here in Michigan. My dad lost his Job recently because the employers were morons and bankrupted the company. He's 56 with a Bachelors, there's no way in hell he'll find work! I'm 22 and I've been putting in Apps CONSTANTLY and I still can't get hired! Fuck the world.

05:17 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm a 29 year old shut in and I'm relieved to read this story. I'm not the biggest loser in the world. There are actually 45 year old shut ins out there. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

05:35 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

you... just made me lol.

btw i am 26 year old shut in.

Comment by Senjou
    03:45 02/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Feels complicated man.

22:40 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

>“An unemployed over-40 is not realistically going to be able to get a job any more.”

This. Having hope for the future is so last century.

22:30 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

..Feels really good being currently employed :D

Time to play a song by Offspring [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH4BLxKcqYw].

Comment by alternative kyon
    11:52 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like someone wasn't welcomed to NHK...

16:46 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Something tells me, "get a job" was just the last straw. Though I am pleased to hear they weren't slum lords.

14:35 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I feel a little bad for him. The sad bastard probably could never get a job even if he wanted one.

"So, what experience do you have to offer my company?"
    "45 years masturbating in my mom's basement."

14:25 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Japan is a very weird country.

If you can't find works immediately after graduate, people will discriminate you, and you can hardly find a good job. For his age, the chance to get any job is really low.

07:22 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

FIGHT THE POWER!!

00:24 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

another story of nhk ni youkoso

22:35 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

This sucks. I'm a 20 yr old NEET as well. Dammit...I really need to find work asap, instead of going on the internet and watching anime everyday. Honestly, it's a bit scary, the thought of working. My boss would probably just yell at me all the time and fire me after 2 weeks. /sad

22:47 31/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

>Dammit...I really need to find work asap, instead of going on the internet and watching anime everyday.

And I have tell myself for the 100,000th time already....and I still didn't find a job.

And I am 26.

00:08 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I'm 26 too, and I'm watching very little animes. I just don't have the strength to search anymore because I realized I don't even like living. I'm more in zombie mode than anything.

01:40 01/02/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

22 here, been a NEET since i graduated from uni last july...in between july and now, ive done 2 internships.... i actually lose money doing those (travel/lunch) just so i have some experiences on my CV... and yet, i still cant get a job... mind you... even internships require experiences these days...im offering to work for free and they want me to have 1 year of sales experience? getting a job is all about knowing people... sucks for me to be an immigrant with little to no links in the UK.

01:43 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

24 here, dam.. nice to see that we're not alone..

03:02 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

26 here, and I'm still at school. You might think then what's the big deal but where I come from (not where I'm right now) everyone is already married with a job at 22 at most, well on their way. I feel like a loser because I'll probably graduate when I'm 30 while surrounded by people 5-6 years younger than me.

No job either, need to get one too, yikes.

10:32 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm 26 too. Being jobless since 1.5 year ago and very rarely go out. Got job interview next week, but I felt that even going out for preparation (to a barber, and copying my CV and other documents and stuff) is a big hassle. I even got scared to cross the road, being shut-in for so long. My point is that the longer you shut yourself, the harder it will be to face the world. It's downward spiral.

09:14 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

27 year-old NEET here. You are not alone.

It's a shame some of these hikki lash out like this. I'm more of a schizoid than anything.

14:01 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only 26 year old without a clear path in life. While it doesn't sound like a big deal, where I'm from everyone my age is already married with a job, kids on the way. I'm still in school while everyone is 20, and I'm reminded of it regularly. I was also a hikikomori for almost two years (one of the reasons I didn't graduate yet) and a lot of times (almost weekly) I get strong urges to just throw everything out of the window and become a hiki. It's not so black and white as people like to make it look.

04:18 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

26 here, six month ago i was like all of you.
    Yes you can ... Or not ... But even with a job life stay a bitch.

14:53 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Mexican NEET here, only people with this problem can understand it. Some times I just feel like I should try to join a cartel, I could never kill myself (only other people), if I get in good, if I get killed just for trying good. Life is just so fucked up.

Comment by vanilka
    06:49 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I know it won't help if I just tell you: "Don't worry." But work isn't usually as scary as it seems to be. I've started working just recently so I think I know how you feel. Being a student all my previous life, only having an occasional part-time jobs, it was very stressful to find a real job after school and I still do hate job interviews with passion. But I believe it's the same for everyone. Or more or less everyone.

I won't lie. It may not be easy to find the job you like nowadays or to find a job at all. However, if you don't have one in the first place, what's there for you to lose? You can only win. Either you stay jobless which won't change a thing or find something and will finally be able to feel good about yourself.

Beginnings are always scary. It doesn't matter if it's a full-time or a part-time job, new school or something else. You'll always feel insecure in situations that are new to you.

I'm speaking from my own experience. When I started attending high school, when I started attending university, when I started at a new part-time job, when I started doing my current job... etc... I was always worried sick. And you know what? It's a completely natural reaction to something you don't know and it disappears rather fast. Usually, you find out that there's nothing to be afraid of and what was once new to you is suddenly a part of your routine.

It may happen you find a job you really hate, with a boss you can't stand. Been there, done that. You can always leave. If your situation is so good you can afford not to work, then you can afford to leave a bad job, I think.

I'm not going to preach to anyone because I never was a "hiki" and to be honest, I couldn't care less how someone else lives their life. However, I did get my share of "hikis" for life and if there's something I've learnt from that experience, it's that nothing is solved by running away and that the fear you feel now will only grow and get worse and worse with time while your chances of finding something you might enjoy are slowly dying. You won't win a battle if you refuse to take part of it just because there's a slight chance you might lose.

Just know that doing nothing often causes much more trouble than starting something new and possibly scary. I've seen that with my own eyes and wouldn't ever want to find myself in such a situation. Moreover, it's really nice to feel useful and to be able to pay for yourself with your own money - makes you feel proud.

But I've talked way too long already.

23:51 02/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank you for your kind and wise words.

23:46 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

heh.. you're not alone..

00:17 01/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Take it easy, dude. I got continuously blasted by my boss during the first couple of months that I really thought of leaving the company straight after I finished my industrial training (I initially worked there as an intern). A year has passed and while I'm not going to lie that life has been a little more stressful and lacking of free time eversince I started working, I have to say things aren't as bad as I predicted it would be. In case your boss is really the 100% tsun 0% dere type, just make sure you already have some backups by going for interviews on certain companies before sending your boss your resignation letter.

23:16 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You too? After being out of school for 3 years... everyone just thinks I've died or moved. We're kinda already dead though, yeah?

22:58 02/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Not dead. Just kind of...existing, instead of actually living.

23:47 02/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty much. I'm on the same boat...20 years old. I dropped out of college after my second semester. I’ve been out of school for about 1.5 years now. NO job. NO friends. It just showed me that friends or people will always disappoint me. When everything was fine, they were there, but once my life went down hill, I felt their judgment, especially when I decided to stop going school because of financial issues. Some close friends, all of a sudden, stopped keeping in touch with me. My name...would be thrown around even if I wasn't there. Friend:"Oh hey, me and _____ saw each other last week. He asked about you, so I told him what happened. We were talking about how it sucks that you dropped out and stuff you know. Also, that your parents separated and your dad started living luxuriously with another woman even though he doesn’t support you, your mom, and your little brother at all." Me: "What?" I understand that I’m the least person they would think of dropping out since I’ve always excelled in my studies. However, they have problems of their own, and yet they choose to feast upon mine because they don’t want to talk about their own issues. To think I trusted these people. For them to tell me that they continuously discuss my life and mention my name when I’m not present, over and over again is not fair to me. I decided that I’m better off not talking to anyone. The worst part is, it’s not like I’m bothering them with anything at all. They just want something to talk about. I’ve lost all hope in humanity. Never tell anyone, certain aspects of your life in confidence, no matter how much you trust them. You’ll end up disappointed.

I’m not in school, because things didn’t work out the way I planned them. It must be nice to have parents who can afford putting you through college. Even if I worked now, I still wouldn’t be able to afford it. I guess I’m really sad that there really is no hope for me to afford college ever. I need to accept it and get over that sadness in order for me to start working and get on with my life. Hopefully in time I’ll get over the fact that I’ve always wanted to go to college and make something of myself, but isn’t meant for me. I’ve learned that making plans in life, no matter how well thought out, never works or isn’t realized most of the time anyway. Why bother? I don’t want to be a NEET forever, but for now this is how I feel.

22:42 31/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If you can find a way to do so, work from home. The coworkers are generally nicer, and no one cares if you play music while you work. You don't have to pack or buy a lunch, and you can even surf the internet on your lunch break. Everything else is just putting in the hours to get the work done.