Top 25 Anime of 2011

tomoe-mami-aerial-arquebusier-by-m874.jpg

Anime fans voting for the best anime of 2011 deliver up a list of not always universally popular anime – although their number one choice at leasts looks to be uncontroversial.

The ranking (including sequels, continuations and so on):

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

20. Chihayafuru

21. Mashiroiro Symphony

22. Mayochiki!

23. The World Only God Knows

24. Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

25. Heaven’s Memo Pad

If 2010 was the year of Kyoto Animation, 2011 appears to belong to Shaft…

20:47 26/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.9)

No Steins;Gate?!?!

another worthless toplist...

09:47 27/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Lies, no steins gate D:<

Comment by Actar
    23:12 26/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Mm. I enjoyed Steins;Gate and TigerXBunny immensely, but I also did enjoy many of the shows featured in the list. If others didn't enjoy an Anime I liked, or enjoyed others more, so be it. It's no skin off my back.

I'm not them, and they are not me. Everyone has their own unique tastes and preferences determined by societal, cultural and individual factors.

07:07 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

#26 - 'Heaven's' Memo Pad?

Title is mis-translated...it should be GOD'S Memo Pad....FAIL

13:29 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think that's the official english title as I believe some people htough "God's" memo pad was too tacky or somesuch.

Comment by Actar
    15:26 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yup. Official English translators love their liberal translations.

02:12 29/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

BUT ITS ENGLISH AND THIS IS JAPANESEEE ;_;
    SOO [WHY]

Comment by Actar
    07:57 02/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Shippoyasha: Yes, I can see where you are coming from. But one has to wonder. If these people don't speak a lick of Japanese, why not just stick to the original/direct translated title? (^.^;)

God's Memo Pad (to me) definitely sounds better and more logical than Heaven's Memo Pad.

Comment by Satonaka
    18:50 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

nah, from what I heard it was called "heavens" because "Gods Memo pad" sounded a lot like "Death Note"

heh, go fig XD

Comment by Shippoyasha
    21:34 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's be fair Actar. It's not about being a loyal translator when it comes down to selling a product to people who otherwise don't speak a speck of Japanese. I think it's actually healthy to try to appeal to non-Japanophile fans in regard to these company selling anime to non Japanese-centric viewers. Well, as long as they don't butcher in-anime visuals, it's fine.

Comment by The REAL Lamberto
    21:24 26/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Now this is the list that I can totally agree with. Steins;Gate deserves to be in the rank but at least Working!! and Hanasaku are there.

15:27 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Does working!! really belong that high?

21:51 28/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I have rewatched Working! and !! multiple times now. Can't say the same for many others on the list, which are mostly watch-once, be-impressed, forget.

So I guess that's saying something. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch Working!! again.

05:31 28/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe/Maybe Not. It's still a damn funny show.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    21:36 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

IMO no, but 2chan and many Japanese anime forums love sarcastic comedy + moe. And Working!! probably had a good enough mixture of it.

I personally like more straightfoward, cute, earnest stories like Suite Precure or Idolmaster, but I don't think I'll have many people believing in me for saying I actually enjoyed watching them than the more darker fare (as good as some of them were).

Kind of disheartened that art-house anime are overlooked, but I guess that's what makes them unique. As great as they're overlooked.

I didn't like Steins;Gate but I agree with you in the fact this list is worthless

15:54 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

stein;Gate got really awesome near the end, and than at eps 22+ it really picked up.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    07:19 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

It's not completely worthless. Granted, Steins;Gate was pretty amazing but also very talky. The animation wasn't great, either. It's not the greatest snub ever. To me, it probably should've been ranked anywhere between 12-18.

Ye steins gate have good idea but too talky and also low graphics.How weak they are now compare to when they start chaoshead and cause a stir.

16:05 27/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

where's naruto?

09:16 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

aye, Stein kicks every title's ass this year.

22:46 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Totally Agree with you right there, Steins gate should have been on top , the best of the best ..dude..I know some are good, but not as good as steins gate I would say. this list is all screw up.

23:03 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

i agree with you, stein gate is a darn good anime with good plot and character development. but now days voters just go for tits and fan service anime, therefor cant afford to think while watching a show which deeply saddens me, i'm gonna go back in time and alter the vote result.
    El Psy Congroo

23:07 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

steins gate is made of service

06:43 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So... I was planning on playing the Steins;Gate Visual Novel before watching the anime. But would you actually advise me just watching the anime, or does the Visual Novel still "surpass" the anime in terms of depth and atmosphere?

As for this topic:
    While I can't account for Steins;Gate, I can at least say that in terms of personal impact, Madoka and AnoHana are very much worthy of the two top spots. I know not everyone cared about them, but I would personally prefer to see many more anime that followed Madoka's example (every scene is important, lots of hidden background and meaning, a unique art direction, no fanservice, and maybe some intentional misleads for the audience). AnoHana was, for me, more than your average tear-jerker. It gave so much development and put the main male character on the same level as everyone, and despite the romantic portions of the series, it didn't sacrifice anyone for anyone else. I cried like a baby at the end. =3

Comment by Satonaka
    18:53 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, if you want story and plot, the anime is the way to go, service is the other. But there's plenty of THOSE shows out there already.

01:02 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The anime doesn't focus as much on the service. The visual novel version overflows with service.

22:50 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Steins;Gate > Madoka

I don't care if S;G hits #1 or not just as long as its in the top 5. It not being their proves this is a huge joke.

11:58 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Change Steins for IS and voila!

00:33 28/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No Fucking way, IS deserved to be on top!

01:06 28/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

IS was fucking shitty.

11:48 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a fail when something shitty like Dog Days is in at #4

Comment by Satonaka
    18:52 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It was entertaining. The only one I don't really agree with being top 10 was YuriYuri. I love my usual dose of yuri and comedy but for some reason it just didn't hook me :(

I should give it another go before the second season comes out tho, I might just see the light the second time around.

Comment by Sorrior
    02:55 28/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

LOL was waiting for this. i for one rather enjoyed dog days and am looking forward to season 2. I am also quite glad it;s on the list if you ask me it;s an underappreciated series.

10:49 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it's a mainstream list, you shouldn't expect good scifi to make it

00:52 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Fate/Zero!!! Why because it has zero?

03:58 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Fate/Zero first season aired, second season later. Technically its one whole thing, so I guess it didn't make the list because it hasn't ended.

08:05 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Last Exile 2 is on the list at #34, so that must mean there's another reason why Fate/Zero didn't qualify...

If it's actually that unpopular in Japan to not even make it into a top 50 list, and becomes a major flop in sales... I'll... I'll... I can't even imagine such a scenario! >_<;

07:55 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Chihayafuru (#20) haven't ended either... I think. :/

08:14 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Type-Moon has a rather large fanbase in japan. Once the Blu-Ray set Releases then you'll see how popular it is.

Comment by Satonaka
    18:54 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah CHihayafuru is an incredible show. I'm assuming WAY too many people put it into the "Not another anime card game crap" and immediately passed it off as such.

People who didn;t bother to watch even one episode based on that are seriously missing a great show.

Oh well, their loss.

23:35 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Not everyone likes faggy trap shows sorry.

Comment by fxc2
    21:32 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It didn't even make it to top 50. It's a mistake surely or perhaps sabotage by the organization's agents...

'It's me, it seems they've meddled with the ranking... To think they would swoop so low, I definately won't let them get away with this. Government clearance? It's fine, just override it! Now; Commencing operation Aevi! Good luck, EL PSY CONGROO.'

Comment by Daniel
    21:46 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

One of the better top lists, but I miss the Steins;Gate. :(

22:14 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, Madoka and Yuruyuri are in this so it's worthy.

>No, Madoka and Yuruyuri are in this so it's worthy.

You know it.

Comment by SunnyJ
    04:06 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a little surprised by this as well. Steins;Gate was good... it should be on the list... tho I'm also surprised by the lack of F/0 and Shana from this season... considering they have a large following and this has other anime from the currently airing season (or are these 2 not included as they are 2 cour crossing over into 2012?)

12:36 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If that was the case then Index II would be included in this list's scores, and it not being on the list is crazy talk. If it's not the case, then P4 should be. Either way, I don't like the list. XD

02:48 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

another worthless toplist...2X
    Incomplete list in the font are top 50??!!

Comment by Mezchano
    19:54 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I believe Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Ano Hana Mita Hana deserved their spots respectively.

Madoka was a great twist on an otherwise "cute" genre (Magical Girls).

Ano Hana... just Ano Hana... if you that series without even feeling a little sad on the inside you are heartless... The story was solid the art was great and the Seiyuu's really delivered the heart-wrenching scenes, this deserves it's spot at second if not first.

(Others seen from this list: 7, 17, 23.)

I gave steins gate a miss because chaos head wasnt so great, is it better?

Comment by Your Name
    03:03 27/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yes, it's much better.

Comment by Satonaka
    18:55 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So damn much, dont let episode 1's confusion... err... confuse you XD

It's supposed to do that as it did me, but I stuck with it for the long run.