Chrome Touts Hatsune Miku

miku-chrome.jpg

Google Chrome has drafted in none other than Hatsune Miku to tout its benefits to computer users in Japan and beyond, with the latest Chrome advertising campaign carrying a video featuring the world’s foremost virtual diva.

Her video:

The campaign features artists from various countries, putting Miku amidst such distinguished company as Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.

Japan’s browser market is generally held to reflect the depressingly backwards nature of the Japanese Internet (as anyone exposed to the cutting edge 1980s design of such sites as 2ch, or the HTML disaster zones of huge blogging platforms like FC2, can readily attest) – Internet Explorer still maintains a stable 50% share, much higher than in other developed markets.

Whether Miku’s support is enough to bring Chrome up to the standard of such notoriously godly browsers as Internet Explorer remains to be seen…

09:00 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

IE9 is not that bad. But I prefer Firefox and Opera. Chrome may be good but I don't know if I trust Google that much anymore. Not that other companies don't collect data but the issue with Google is that it is far more important to their business model than, say, Microsoft, which actually sells and profits from products they market.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    19:34 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Chrome is good, but it saps up the memory like crazy. I can't put up more than 5 windows before the computer spazzes out. Firefox is the best for me, but it can't run media as well as Internet Explorer.

I think anybody who has browsed through Japanese sites for a long time would probably understand that the websites themselves are very ancient-styled. It's like... how the American Internet was before my time on Earth. Come on Japan.

23:18 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yup, I'm usng FireFox and Opera. I don't really like google chrome :( as for IE, the newest version got a bit heavy...

05:29 20/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

One of these days, I will learn to proofread my comments. Today is not that day, however.

...Being a low memory system I went with FF because it used less memory and because it doesn't require you to explicitly uncheck the "please spy on me" checkboxes."

05:23 20/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@01:00
    On my parents' computer and I cannot honestly determine weather Firefox or Chrome run smoother. Being a low memory system, I went with FF simply because it doesn't require you to explicitly uncheck the "please spy on me" checkboxes.

Google Chrome works a lot faster than any pther browser, at least on my computer. Which can barely run anything.

09:15 22/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Honestly, Japanese sites seem to be much more advanced now. While I would say this was true in 2007, now they are like how our sites were in 2007 (blogs with nice graphics and gradients, but little flash). Though it may seem ghetto, I actually prefer the old-style over tons of flash and facebook/twitter crap.

05:13 20/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

IE9 still has the worst standard compliance compared to all the modern browsers.
    It may not mean much to you, but to web developers it's a maintenance nightmare and it takes away valuable development time that could have otherwise gone into features of your favorite websites.

Comment by Tasche
    02:43 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

You know what they say... "If you want something done right, get miku to do it."

03:20 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Just Miku it...

04:05 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Yep, the miku way to solve things.

06:58 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I am witessing the birth of new meme

06:51 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Sharon Apple my ass. It's Miku where it's at!

Comment by tyciol
    17:47 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Guys since Google is leading the battle against SOPA, does this mean that Miku is on our side?

Keep in mind, Microsoft and Apple are supporting SOPA.

She will lead us to victory.

04:59 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

except that hotdog thing. That was horrible.

Comment by Tasche
    05:23 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Yeah. Those American commercials of her did no justice.

10:56 22/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

*American*

There's your problem. They manage to fuck up 11 out of 10 anime they put their hands in.

Comment by tyciol
    17:47 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You know damn well the bacon-wrapped hot dog was magic.

22:33 08/10/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Bacon-raped hot dog...

Comment by CowExtract
    05:53 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

She can munch on my hot dog any day...

05:31 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

miku miku ni shite ageru

Comment by shoranhimura
    03:12 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Couldnt say any better than this ^

02:55 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

By the way, why are most japanese sites so poor in terms of code and appearance? Is there a specific reason for this?

Comment by Imyou
    03:25 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

Define "poor?" I would rather have a lightweight stripped down site over a menu-driven monster that only works with Flash absolutely any day of the week.

04:26 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's not the point here (I think). If a website uses flash it's BS anywway.

When he is referring to bad code, I'm guessing he is refering to stuff like frames or giant tables for layout/designs. I don't visit a lot of Japanese websites though so I wouldn't know.

The German dude
    (who will gladly stab anyone in the eye who uses frames and tables for layout)

11:13 17/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

This discussion doesn't belong here, and I actually just want to oggle at Miku, but I can't just let this provocation slide.

I gladly use tables for all my layouting. Why? Because it works, always - as opposed to floating divs which make precise, pixel-accurate adjustments completely impossible if you want to support many browsers without completely retarded HTML and CSS browser switching. Semantic structuring can just kiss my ass. I'm a fierce opponent of the semantic web anyway.

The main problem here is that today's internet is all about applications, not documents. In this light the whole concept behind HTML is outdated and CSS is making matters worse because it's (barely) curing something that should actually just die in the first place.

Browsers should all just become X11 clients and be done with. That's why I'm so exited about the HTML5 canvas tag, as it'll allow something similar.

03:30 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Something to do with using cell phones (and flips at that) for web browsing I think.

04:21 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

which is BS since you can configure your webserver to differentiate between requests from cell phone-browsers and 'real' browsers and have 2 versions of your side ready, one for each browser-type.

Not calling BS on your post but on the Japanese reason, mind you ;)

The German dude

11:12 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Double posting adds cost.

Comment by aaa
    21:58 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Posting "Double posting adds cost" add cost.

Comment by Gitami
    10:35 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Coding two websites adds cost.

Comment by Gitami
    10:35 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Coding two websites adds cost.

04:17 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They suck at coding and graphics . Simple .

13:12 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Simply they did a design years ago, and haven't bothered changing it.

08:52 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hell no! Their graphics are stylish.

Comment by Kaarme
    04:30 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Although it has been years since I last time checked, but great many Japanese newspapers also have stuck to the looks (the decent) Western newspapers abandoned decades ago: Pages full of nothing but chapter after chapter of small text, with a couple, if any, small low quality pictures mixed in. The photos naturally won't break the "neat" ordering of the text, gods be praised.

Unless the last years have changed this, but I somehow doubt it.

03:15 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese internet users are very used to the poor appearance; international sites don't actually score all that high in the rankings when compared to domestic sites. And since hackjobs will work for ¥1000 per hour or less, whereas an actual programmer (even entry-level) will set you back about twice that. And hiring a professional designer is out of the question, as long as the Japanese internet-going public accepts the current crappy state of affairs.

03:21 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

Yamaha, you whore. Stop selling Miku's image to every fucking company arround.
    Even some Idols have more decency than you.

17:09 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I get what you're saying, but at the same time this is the first time I've seen someone actually get it right.
    Toyota failed. Bacon wrapped hotdog? wtf? but this actually shows EXACTLY what the vocaloid culture is about. Connecting people around the world through music.

Comment by tyciol
    17:48 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree, it's not just an analogy, it's a reality.

SOPA would stop things like Vocaloid since it's user-created content. She will lead the battle. She is the queen of free speech and song.

23:18 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree, this is sooo much better than Toyota's miku commercial.

Comment by Uzza
    05:04 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh... Yamaha have nothing to do with Miku. CFM owns Miku.

And I bet Google japan came to CFM and asked "Can we use Miku in a commercial, showing the movement while at the same time getting a Chrome pitch in". Obviously they agreed, and the result is godlike.

Why is it so bad that Miku apears in a lot of places?
    Are you one of those that thinks nobody else should be allowed to know about her, and you just want her for yourself?

07:47 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Nobody will own Miku if the "Stop Online Piracy Act" passes... R.I.P. all user-created content thx to the american government.

Comment by tyciol
    17:50 18/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Miku is with Google now. She will save us.

Comment by Chen-04
    05:22 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No, it's just google that's bothering. Appearing in lots of places is fine as long as you maintain some kind of standards

Comment by Fenek Alfa
    04:09 17/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

"Google Personal Data Collection Program Brags About Stuff It Lets Use Only Spied Idiots And Uses Miku For It"

There, fixed the title.

Comment by yuriphoria
    06:13 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Also, why are there Chrome ads? I thought Chrome is just naturally superior but apparently it needs the marketing effort.

Comment by warjoke
    11:19 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That awkward moment when you realized that your Google chrome theme is Hatsune Miku.

13:34 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

now miku can use google as a stepping stone for world domination....

all hail miku!!!

Isn't that what you Mikufags said during that whole getting reported in Western tabloids thing? Whatever happened to that? Oh yeah...

NOTHING!

23:20 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Really? I think that's already means something..!