K-ON! Fans “Over One Third Female”

suzuki-jun-by-ikari-manatsu.jpg

Moeblob fans presented with a gender breakdown of the viewers of several top anime titles have been surprised to discover they are one third female – but strangely nobody is too surprised to learn that Strike Witches fans are 90% male…

The viewership, according to Ascii:

anime-viewership-1.jpg

All: 50% male, 50% female

K-ON!: 63.2% male, 36.8% female

Black Butler II: 33.5% male, 66.5% female

Strike Witches 2: 89.9% male, 10.1% female

Madoka: 71.1% male, 28.9% female

[The second graph above shows the regional breakdown in viewership, in the following order: Hokkaido, Tohoku, Kanto, Chubu, Kinki, Chugoku/Shikoku, Kyushu/Okinawa]

anime-viewership-2.jpg
anime-viewership-3.jpg

The reaction is rather understandably one of surprise:

“Strike Witches really has 10% female viewership?”

“I’m more surprised about Black Butler having 30% male viewers…”

“Why does nobody in Kyushu and Okinawa watch them?”

“Because they don’t broadcast them at all in those regions.”

“Then what about Hokkaido and Tohoku, etc? Besides, everyone can watch now if they use Nico or something.”

“Hardly anyone watches anime on Nico. The vast majority watch on TV.”

“Think of it like this you lot: 30% are women. So of the posters to this thread, 30% were women.”

Comment by Ota-Kool
    07:26 26/11/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Pedobear said Strike Witches 2...I'm one of the 89.9% male.

Comment by LDC
    02:41 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I wonder who ARE those 10% famles... I'd like to meet one.

22:08 28/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I have nothing against the show and it was pretty cute from what I saw, but I'm not a huge fan.

06:15 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i am!! :D

LIES! There are no women on the internet!

04:22 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Are U sure that U want to meet them?

23:06 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I am sending Yoshika and Lucchini over for you boss..

10:49 26/11/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

You're not the 99%?

Comment by Dia
    05:45 26/11/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Is that a blue pole going into a red depression in the second to last picture?

Comment by Your Name
    06:05 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Seeing how they are using blue for males it sure looks like we are penetrating women faster based on that chart. Either that or I just can't read Japanese.. make your pick.

Comment by Actar
    05:26 26/11/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

I really don't see what's so surprising.

K-On! has zero exploitative fan-servicey pantsu shots and is genuinely a feel-good family friendly show that is also free of heavy-handed controversial issues.

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    05:55 26/11/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

A similar thing happened in America with Lucky Star. It picked up a sizeable periphery demographic of girls due to it's mostly female cast, it's lack of fanservice, and easygoing tone and tendancies (the humor however attracted people regardless of gender).

Basically any Seinen work that has a noticeable female cast and is either romantically based or is easygoing, has a lack of fanservice and/or has a large ammount of Moe elements is bound to pick up good sized periphery demographic of girls.

K-ON as well is beginning to pick up a periphery demographic in America. The phenomena is strong enough that some incorrectly call Clannad or Toradora Shoujo.

But as a whole, it is not very surprising.

16:13 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I'm glad.
    Lucky Star is a hilarious and witty show that doesn't stoop to generic shallow things such as fan service...most of the time.

Comment by Actar
    19:12 26/11/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

There really is no fan-service in Lucky Star save for the beech episode, but even that was handled really tastefully.

Comment by Assassinister
    06:53 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Why don't they include To aru majutsu no index or To aru Kagaku no Railgun in their survey?

13:33 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

............................. ...............________
    ............................. .......,.-‘”................... ``~.,
    ............................. ,.-”........................... ........“-.,
    .........................,/.. ............................... ..............”:,
    .....................,?...... ............................... .................\,
    .................../......... ............................... ...................,}
    ................./........... ............................... ............,:`^`..}
    .............../............. ............................... .......,:”........./
    ..............?.....__....... ............................... ...:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_. .............................,: `........../
    .........../(_....”~,_....... .“~,_....................,:`... ....._/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.. .....“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/.. ..}
    ...........((.....*~_.......” =-._......“;,,./`..../”........ ....../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,..... ...............`.....}......... ...../
    ............(....`=-,,....... `........................(..... .;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-.... ...........................\... .../\
    .............\`~.*-,......... ............................|,. /.....\,__
    ,,_..........}. -._\.......................... .........|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,....... ..........................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,. ..............................\
    ............................. ...`:,,........................ ...`\..............__
    ............................. ........`=-,................... ,%` --==``
    ............................. ..........._\..........._,-%... ....`\
    ............................. .........,

Comment by John Hayabusa
    09:21 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

What about Ika Musume or YuruYuri?

Wait, wait, wait

There was humour in Lucky Star?

Comment by alidan
    14:57 26/11/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

i dont understand what is bad with any ep beyond 1.

i mean it is slow, but its also part of the manga, its not the best way to start off a show, but i found it funny at points, i mean the show was advertised with konota stareing at the camera for 15 seconds, what did people expect.

now to go on a bit more, the first episode was in the manga, you couldn't really place it later in the anime, as that would have truly sucked, it also established that they are good enough friends that they got all the plesentries of "tell me about yourself out of the way"

tell me, what would have been a better no filler begining.?

12:30 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

For me the first episode was the funniest

14:06 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"The first three episodes are complete shit,.."

You can thank Yamakan for that.

The first three episodes are complete shit, but it gets better. Just assuming you saw one of those early episodes and didn't bother with the rest. I believe someone got fired over the first three episodes actually :P

09:00 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

It also makes me happy to see how the female fans are still into adoring cute anime girls instead of just fully throwing themselves into the BL wagon :)

Comment by yaku
    14:43 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The person who rejects an extremely cute ANYTHING, whether it's their opposite gender or not, is a fool.

i'm a girl, i love BL but i also love stuff like ika musume. but i don't like it "because ika is cute", i just think the anime is really funny and i like how it has some strong female characters. i couldn't care less about the characters being "cute".

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:17 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I think cuteness extends to both genders as it rightfully should.

I'm only somewhat surprised by the Black Butler numbers since I never felt *too* pandered by the pretty boy characters. They sell the story pretty well for that show, more so than it being a hard fanservice. Then again, a lot of anime geared towards girls has quite good drama and storytelling it seems.

Comment by Actar
    19:06 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I myself really enjoyed the first season for the interesting supernatural stories and seeing how Sebastian saves the day each and every time without fail.

Comment by dantesmaster
    05:31 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

correct, it tents to be liked by girls more often

05:50 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yeah, even my mom likes K-On! wich I never have thought^^ Watched the complete 1. season with her^^ It's really rare that she likes a series wich I watch.

Comment by LDC
    02:45 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You watch anime with your mother...?

13:35 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It "tents" to be liked....

Spelling FAIL.

You meant "TENDS" to be liked...

Tents are what you sleep in when you go camping...

14:30 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

gra- spelling Nazi.

05:53 26/11/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

Right. If by "more often" you mean 1/3 less than men like it.

07:38 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

you're really bad at maths ^^

14:33 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, I'm quite good at maths, but apparently not so good at phrasing things.

dantesmaster said K-ON "tents to be liked by girls more often."

I was trying to be clever in pointing out that if roughly 2/3 of K-ON's audience is male, that doesn't add up to girls liking it more often.

I wound up making myself look stupid instead.

23:46 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@14:33
    If you don't pointlessly include variables just for the fuck of it, you are bad at math. (p<0.05)

12:31 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hence why K-On! is popular in countries outside Japan where anime fandom isn't as mysoginistic. But in Japan, moeblob shows are the exclusive domain of the male otaku, so it's definitely an anormaly.

But yeah I'm more shocked that 30% of Black Butler's viewers are male.

perfect for females, aye, no need to ponder or to react. just watch those characters going throught the motions.

07:32 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I'm a girl and I love moe anime. K-on is relaxing, just cute girls going throughout their day. I like some of the music, too.

06:12 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I guess girls like seeing girls drinking tea and eating cake.

Comment by คภєк๏
    08:46 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Girls like drinking tea and eating cake, so why not?

09:30 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I like cake, but not necessarily others eating it...

14:32 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

On the other hand, I prefer watching girls eat it. Difference of opinion, I s'pose.

05:46 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If the cake is a lie,
    and girls like cake,
    then girls like lying?

PROVE ME WRONG.

Cake = Lie.
    Girls = Lie.

This is only true inside the internet XD

Comment by Fonzer
    06:22 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe they like hidamari sketch

07:06 26/11/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yes! I'm a proud to be part of the 36.8%, 28.9%, 10.1% female fan of K-ON, Madoka and Strike Witches! X3

09:43 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I'll say it again. The fact that SanCon actually has female readers despite its sometimes masoginistic undertones always surprises me...

13:37 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the word is 'mysogynist' and although it pisses me right the fuck off, every now and then the site does post something else.
    Plus most of the users are so hilariously stupid they can be fun to watch.

Comment by LDC
    02:47 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't understand women at all...

05:47 27/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

nobody does

Why do you think evolution hasn't gotten rid of that male trait?

Answer is simple; it makes girls wet.

23:50 26/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure it's because you can't make any girls without men. Maybe if technology advances to the point where we can successfully grow babies in a vat we could have a social crisis about it, but as it is, we need both.