persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-001.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-002.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-003.jpg

The perverse reluctance of the shade of Atlus to make a new Persona title for the PS3 is now reaching farcical levels – the latest addition to the series is to be a 2D fighting game spin-off, accompanied by yet another portable remake.

The game, dubbed “Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena,” is set to hit arcades in the spring of 2012, with a console port for PS3 and Xbox 360 following in summer. Along with the expected Persona 4 characters, some characters from Persona 3 will also make an appearance.

persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-004.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-005.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-006.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-007.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-008.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-009.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-010.jpg

In addition to the fighting game, the PS Vita is to see a heavily upgraded port of Persona 4 proper, dubbed “Persona 4: The Golden” – including a new character, new voicing, more anime movies, and some coop play possibilities utilising the Vita’s new features.

persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-011.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-012.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-013.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-014.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-015.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-016.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-017.jpg
persona-4-spinoff-and-remake-018.jpg

The online reaction of most fans seems to be one of fatigue at having to endure yet another non-RPG release (at the current rate of progress it seems the PS3 will be obsolete before it gets a fresh Persona RPG), but there still appears to be a great deal of interest in the Vita edition.

Comment by warjoke
    11:54 01/09/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

This will be BEARy interesting!

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    Comment by Megidola
    23:47 01/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

These puns are unBEARable...

00:07 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

BEAR.

00:23 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i hope your beary brepared for this unbearable battle

I would hit it.

Comment by Ota-Kool
    23:06 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

DAMMIT! Where's Catherine??? Or She's a secret character....?

Most probably you can purchase her online.

Comment by Castian
    12:25 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

+1 to you for your Persona joke
    -4 to you, because i really hated that character

Comment by DeliriousB
    16:47 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh you! *lol face*

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    11:49 01/09/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I don't mind this at all. In fact, I even welcome it.

And you missed out the part that P5 is on the way.
    How could you miss out Persona 5?!

Comment by Megidola
    23:54 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The fighting game is a surprise, but the Vita port was pretty much inevitable. I like the look of the new character.

23:09 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with you. How the hell did they forgot the most important of all announcements. P5 was announced to be in development.

02:05 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yea was about to say that they announced that P5 has now entered "serious development" as well, getting these along side that is great. I'm really intrigued to see how the fighting game works.

12:45 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

P5 is being developed...

Comment by Castian
    12:23 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed, it'll be a nice addition to the Ps3, i just hope its cheap, lol.
    anyways if given time, this wil add up nicely to my M.U.G.E.N. collection of HD characters.

18:22 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

cheap game = cheap production, now we don't want that do we?

Comment by Siveria
    07:35 03/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

*points at the cheaply produced indie games that are better than most of the AAA titles gameplay wise* yeah, cheap doesn't always mean bad :). I don't remember the last time I played a AAA dev game I enjoyed, most of them are the same crap in a slightly diffrent wrapper. Where as indie devs tend to do newer things.

13:48 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly.
    There's fanart somewhere of a Persona fighting game, the fact this came into existence has me pretty happy. Too bad it only looks like Persona characters, no actual SMT characters. Demifiend would be a tad OP though I guess.
    They are making P5, these are additions. This site is always so alarmist.

Comment by K'
    15:35 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I would love to see Serph, Heat, and Gale from Digital Devil Saga. But yeah, I'm perfectly fine with this. And yes, P5 is on the way! The only thing that makes this better is that Arc System Works is the company doing the game. I'd rather it be them than Capcom or SNKP.

Can't say I care about the series since I don't like Persona's style.

I have to say though, that I'm starting to see similar behaviours to Square Enix and Bandai Namco.

1. Sub-par offshoot game that doesn't seem to try to make a good job at it?(11 characters in this day and age?)

2. Re-releasing a game that is not even 7 years old with a whole bunch of new additions, effectively making the last one a mere 'beta'? What a waste of 60 bucks, lol.

20:28 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Don't be so presumptuous, mate. We have screenshots of the fighting game, that's it. There's absolutely no indication of wether they'll be good or bad.
    Re-releasing a game or two in a series you're currently producing a sequel for? Makes sense to me, especially considering how late into the PS2's life 4 was released. P3P did pretty damn well, too, so supply and demand and all that.

23:51 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Balancing a fighting game is hard, bro.

Of course there's always the possibility of Aksys work backfiring spectacularly, but that's merely a possibility. We haven't even touched the game, so saying it's sub-par just because it's a spin-off based on a cash cow game is stupid. It's true that many fail, but we don't have the final product to say it just yet.

20:06 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Blazblue is an outstanding fighting game with around 15 chars nowadays...

Comment by WEL

aren't those just baseless rumors?

13:36 01/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

More like confirmed info in the same magazine this P4 stuff was announced.

14:54 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No not baseless at all.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:19 01/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Persona just needs to do its thing which is to have a weird worldwide mystery involving strange gods, schoolkid antics and a crazy final boss.

Sometimes I wonder what oldschool gamers sees in Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, despite their heyday. Persona to me is my generation's classic.

I'm kind of annoyed the team wasted too much time doing too many remakes and small-time Nintendo DS games. They were fun but they were held back by the awful graphics.

Comment by kanbanmusume
    23:34 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree with you Shippoyasha, I really love the whole Personna franchise too! I still like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest just not as much as I used to.

I just look at the remakes as a marketing thing to keep interest high and generate some cash so we can have a Persona 5.

03:16 30/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i don't like high school simulation games, or simulation slice of life games for that matter, but that particular subgenre is perhaps the furthest from where i want to be. that's what a lot of oldschool guys likely don't care for. it the reason they usually choose an rpg over a visual novel. but nowadays with the visual novel working it's way into all of the rpg's that why people are getting vocal, in addition to how it's handled in a manner specifically trying to blur the lines between modern anime tropes and video game tropes. great for people you fully embrace the sankaku lifestyle, but what about people who just want a game with a nice unique story that doesn't have clear as day anime elements?

i've heard the first 2 persona games were also quite good without any of that stuff people don't want. because when we were schoolkids we didn't play games to become enamored with being schoolkids

16:29 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Shippoyasha

You don't get it because you're a newfag who only likes lolis. Go kill yourself.

Comment by Gitami
    15:36 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope P5 can out do Adachi.

A policeman who can say hi to little girls and have charges dropped against him.

Comment by Your Name
    13:36 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They did say that P5 is in works, they stated that they finished building the engine that they used in Catherine. They had used third-party engine features for Catherine, but now it is complete.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    12:10 01/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Imagine summoning Mara and using his ulti!
    ...
    ...
    Better yet, dont.

Comment by Megidola
    23:50 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Super effective against female characters! Get hit in the face by that and it's an instant KO!

Comment by Nekomancer
    22:15 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually no...That would restore their health bar:3

13:10 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

What you lack to mention is that the game is being made by Arcsystem of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue fame. Considering that, this news is almost as good as a new Persona game.

Comment by Lurkerman
    15:17 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, when I heard that, I have to admit, I became excited for the game. Sounds like a game that's going to be what a persona fighting game would be optimized, which really sounds fun in my opinion.

12:46 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think it's safe to say, by now, the only thing safe to assume is that you don't know what Atlus's gonna do next.

23:35 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh......hell.....YESSSSSS

10:04 04/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

After seeing someone mod Tartarus as a map in Dissidia I thought....hey Persona would make a badass 2D fighter or even Dissidia type fighter

23:44 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This game would be a lot cooler if it included EVERY persona character, I would much rather play as the main protagonist from persona 1 or even Reiji.

It seems kinda odd how they only show the good guys facing off against one another, it would be cool if they went for a dissidia kinda thing where the enemies from the 4 games team up through some odd time distortion using all of their evil ideas to consume the world.

I also don't think they are utilizing the personas as well as they could, I would much rather see them as the "second" character of a tag team where a person can call them and then you fight between those two, a persona is stronger though it lowers the users defense while active. So a person can call a persona and attack the other persona or push through and hurt the target.

Overall the game just looks like a last century street fighter's game it a heck of a low list of characters to choose from. I mean who really looked at P3/P4 and thought what if we had them fight against one another! Why? Why not? Ok grenlit!

00:37 04/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Need more characters for the beatm up preferably characters from all 4 games, and seeing the remake of 4 on the vita... I wouldnt mind getting 3 if it was remade yet again for it aswell

21:10 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Naoto looks hot!!

21:28 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

that's not naoto, that's a different character, marie

19:36 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the Persona fighting game has a story mode where the plot is being developed by atlus and the timeframe is 2 months after P4 ended.

Worth mentioning this is being developed by ArcSys who made Guilty Gear and Blazblue

19:42 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1) bring persona 5
    2) I don' t mind psp vita version
    3) the fighting well let see when it come out or see game clip
    4)make persona 5 ps3 exclusive

19:32 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The Persona fighter up there, apparently it's a joint project between Atlus and ARC System Works (BlazBlue, Guilty Gear).

19:19 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

gahhh!!!!! now i have to think about getting a vita and i had no plans before

19:42 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

P4G!
    P4U!

Initially, I had NO plans for PSVita, but seeing this, now I want one! I also plan to get P3P off the PlayStation Store so I can have both games on the Vita, unless they remake THAT for Vita as well (they might not).

As for P4U, I don't think 11 characters is a bad start. Better to have a solid game with a small roster than a craptastic one with a roster that puts MvC2's to shame. Though Arc System Works DOES add new characters to their games from time to time. I see nothing for Lovers, and since Yukari from P3 is a Lovers Social Link...she could be in there! Just...let ASW decide!

Also, since Fool can be both 0 and 22, I hope that P3P's femme fatale Minako Arisato (the FeMC, Hamuko, you get the idea!) gets in, too. That right there would lock in my main and sub right then and there...

Now I'm just going off the deep end. Anyway, I'm excited, and I want people to troll me for it.

21:37 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

dont count on it at most you'll get the male MC.

21:09 01/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Who here wants to taske bets that this is wholly Index's fault? I can't see it any other way.