The Wuthering Heights of Aya Hirano

aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-003.jpg

Aya Hirano’s latest effort to develop her troubled career beyond making provocative tweets sees her take to stage in a Japanese musical adaptation of the classic 1847 English gothic novel Wuthering Heights; Hirano takes the role of Catherine, and with the role comes yet another succession of striking new looks.

aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-001.jpg
aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-010.jpg
aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-011.jpg
aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-012.jpg
aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-013.jpg
aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-014.jpg
aya-hirano-wuthering-heights-015.jpg

Even her detractors have been forced to admit the musical has proven well received; it seems Hirano may have finally found her other true calling.

Comment by kazaza2
    22:36 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

She looks fantastic! Especially in pics 3 and 7.

Takes my breath away in pic 7 absolutely stunning!

Comment by Rico21
    04:27 16/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yeah, so cute!!!

00:48 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Indeed. I was impressed with how good she looks in some of these outfits.

03:41 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I think even the Aya haters will like these :)

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    13:15 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I like it. Even with corset, she still looks pretty flat, though. Which is always a good thing.

Comment by Stangace20
    19:03 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

lol, I wonder what it sounds like when the japanese try to fake a british accent while speaking japanese

Comment by Shippoyasha
    19:29 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Easy. They don't even try. XD

Comment by HouseLife
    04:23 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If I'm not mistaken, don't the Japanese ironically sound like they have a slightly British sounding pronunciation when they first speak English? The 'r's sounding more like 'ah' mid-word and such? Of course it depends how focussed they would be on their accent, but I've noticed the general lack of the hard R.

Of course they're not going to be speaking English there I think, but whatever. Just something fun I noticed.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    20:39 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, some Japanese looked towards the British for language tips and not Americans, though thanks to American culture being more popular, not as much nowadays.

And by the mechanic of the language, it can sound Brit as well.

The most striking part of it for me was how I never learned the word 'Z' as being 'Zee'. I learned it being pronounced as 'Zed'. Or 'Zetto'.

21:00 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

they would actually sound pretty decent if they get their intonations correct. Their attempts at the American accent often ends in disaster. Since Japanese pronunciation is too clean/clear, it's difficult to speak a language that is a mouthful like American English with their errrdurrruarauhr sounds.

Comment by Jürgen
    03:51 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, being a troll isn't cool anymore, I don't think Americans are overtly fond of how condescending Brits talk and think their accent is stupid, I guess someone could argue that American English is more unique and takes more skill to speak than British English if you're going to be like that. I'm German and I have an exceedingly heavy accent when I'm not trying to sound more proper but when I do it's not all that hard, same with British accents, they are very easy to imitate. I would also rant about how hypocritical it is to say that Japanese accents are too clean to handle American English which you hint at being unclean but obviously never heard a British accent and how dirty it can sound but I'm going to be the better person.

06:32 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Actually, the American pronunciations are more true to older forms of English. Today, we still talk similar to the way we talked during the Revolutionary War, even with certain dialects and word choices. This was the English in use by the British during that time as well. So, the British changed (the "a" sound to always being like f'a'ther, for example) but American stayed closer to the older form.

Look it up. If Wikipedia says it, it must be true!

Comment by HouseLife
    08:08 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@ Anon 6:32

That's not my point, although if true that's a wonderful etymology I'd like to look into. It's not the pronunciations alone, as much as the general respect for the language. Some of my friends mispronounce so many things, and when I just ask 'did you mean *insert correct pronunciation here*' they're always like 'yeah whatever."

There's just a general lack of respect for communication in general, a lack of self-respect in our capabilities of conveying our emotions and expressing what it is we wish to express, and it's leading to the proverbial clusterfuck that America is becoming. One of the things that always struck me were the Civil War letters. There were much fewer schools as we have them now, with widespread availability, but the letters from those young soldiers are exceptional. Granted many of them who fought couldn't read or write at all, but those who could were, in many cases, poets with their words.

It's a mark of someone who doesn't know or respect themselves when they don't have control over what they are saying. Most people are completely unconscious about anything they say, and it shows. People correcting them like dicks are annoying, but why do so few people just ignore the correction either way? Where is the problem of being momentarily embarrassed and saying "Is that the correct way it's said? Whoops!" and moving on. It shows consciousness and thought.

I admit though, the more I see how little people think, it makes it very difficult to not treat them like idiots, which doesn't help the problem anyway. Takes a lot of patience, and sadly it's becoming easier to wear me thin with some people I interact with.

19:56 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

the English that the Japanese speak and learn is on the whole american English,and what i've heard confirms this, to me their attempts at English always lean more towards american rather than British, just my two cents,

Comment by HouseLife
    04:48 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually Jurgen, I'm American and I must agree that in general, we're very bad at speaking our own language, and our education kind of reflects that. American English is very nasally, I recognized that when I had a conversation with a friend who lived in Australia and described the differences. Ever since, I've been doing my best to breathe and speak more like a singer, using my diaphragm just to speak with more power and clarity. Also, there's an aspect of our culture of 'big words' which angers me to no end. As if anything polysyllabic is somehow the mark of an arrogant person because they use words that aren't considered common. There are some who say more complex words just to sound better than everyone else, and usually those are college kids studying for their SATs where they have to learn them all. I just happened to, when I was studying, enjoy the breadth of our language and integrated many of the words.

I have a difficult time respecting my own country a lot of the time these days. A country that calls itself the 'greatest in the world' while using that as a shield to protect itself from taking on its shortcomings is nothing short of pathetic. If we aren't already no longer the 'greatest' in the world, we're well on our path to losing our status if we don't recognize and admit our weaknesses very soon. And yes, our language is actually a symptom of that.

09:37 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

" Their attempts at the American accent often ends in disaster."

Need to agree with this.

Comment by Jürgen
    10:13 18/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess it just depends on who's speaking, nonetheless, I guess that me having to learn how to have a decent accent in English after speaking German my whole life makes it seem different to me. It might also be the difference in the languages, German and English are close enough ( in my opinion ) that it isn't too difficult to imitate whereas Japanese is so different ( again, my opinion ) from English that it may be harder.

21:49 09/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

colonial dialect lag

21:51 09/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

tho it is kind of high at times, in pitch

21:50 09/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese isn't difficult to imitate if you can pronounce syllables clearly (basic).
    It's a very flat language, unlike German, which is probably why you're having difficulties.

20:54 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree. North American's use a lot of old English sounds and words too. Garbage is one example, Brits no longer use this word, but the Japanese use British terms, e.g. bonnet and boot (US hood and trunk). They also drive on the left, just like us Brits.

Comment by kanbanmusume
    22:43 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

The costumes are totally gorgeous and Aya does them justice in how she wears them.

I love the blouse in pic 7, all that lace!

She's really a pretty girl!

18:44 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They are! I love that period of dress! And she is gorgeous in it!

Comment by gundam4ever2
    19:16 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

For those who don't know Aya got her start being a theater actor when she was around 15.

Comment by AzureXuchilbara
    20:38 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I don't care what others think...Aya is very lovely in those dresses...

My personal favorite:

A gentle smile, complementing a neutral and dark blue dress makes her shine in the passive light...

@gundam4ever2

Yes, I've heard about her humble beginnings in theatrical acting~

Kudos for mentioning that (and beating me to it), gundam4ever2..!

GO AYA~ TIMOTEI THE AUDIENCE TO DEATH!!!

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:24 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well damn. That's definitely something I'd have never guessed...(seriously)

Comment by Ecchi-BANZAII
    19:46 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Cute as ever.

19:01 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I like her look in the red clothes.

Comment by Tallgeese_VI
    21:10 15/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

These clothes will still look good even if they are worn till today.

The pic tells it all. :3

19:17 15/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Her promotion of this on YT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhRwHIHImE

Comment by coquette
    00:16 16/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

She looks so great in period costumes I was thinking that she would make a perfect Horo if they ever decided to do a live action "Wolf & Spice".

She'd look super cute in little wolf ears and a tail!

Just a thought.

16:24 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Gotta admit, it might work. Horo would be hard for any japanese woman to pull off perfectly. And Hirano is pretty good looking with her hair pulled up and side parted like that.

Comment by Alice
    03:57 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I dunno... It's not a bad idea, but she looks too cute to be Horo. Horo to me always seemed more sultry and elegant, where as Hirano often looks too cute.

Comment by Offline
    19:00 15/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

She looks gorgeous in those clothes ^___^

But I'm sure some anons will start complaining about her like always...>__>...

Comment by Baronight
    19:01 15/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

picture 002 and 003 are the best, love em

04:00 17/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Who care about them anyway! We should concentrate on the fact that she looks really pretty in those outfits. ^_^

Comment by Raven
    22:48 15/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Amazing how she keeps getting more and more beautiful!

22:51 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

She looks really pretty in them oAo

Comment by theorist
    19:21 15/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I Approve, move from anime to Theatre is better than move to cinema or TV

20:51 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I love her lips.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    00:03 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Those lips are quite luscious indeed, couldn't look away from them for quite a while there...

Comment by Naoli
    22:53 15/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

she look so cute~

Comment by Nindotaku
    01:36 16/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

now...imagine her speaking with an ani-koe...e.g. konata's voice XD

Comment by Alice
    03:58 16/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Timotei... timotei... timotei!

03:22 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Aya is to @rte what Casey Anthony is to Nancy Grace here in America.
    Just something to bitch about for no real reason!!

Comment by Koyoto_Shadow
    05:58 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Why did clothes like this go out of style again?

Back when being feminine wasn't a bad thing?

09:39 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Why did clothes like this go out of style again?"

Global Warming.

Comment by Koyoto_Shadow
    05:38 05/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Good as excuse as any, I suppose...

Possibly due to all those fires they were starting to burn bras in the 60's and 70's...

23:07 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Someone better check her basement whether she hides a Kobu or not..

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    20:12 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Wh-What is this feeling....

Comment by Satu
    21:12 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

A boner?