schoolgirl-hatsune-miku-by-shio-konbu.jpg

Reports that some Japanese schools have banned Vocaloid music from their campuses are causing a stir amongst Vocaloid fans.

From a widely circulated Twitter-based exchange on the subject:

“At my little sister’s school, they’ve been forbidden from broadcasting Vocaloid music during recesses. They gave reasons like “because it’s a machine” and “because we don’t know the lyrics.”

I don’t like to see them banned for reasons like that. They may be machines, but they still sing songs capable of moving the human heart. These prejudices are grossly disrespectful to Vocaloid producers and programmers.

I wish they’d stop promulgating such misunderstandings.”

“Vocaloid tunes are banned at my school too!”

“If they banned Vocaloids at my school, there’d be a riot…”

“Banning Vocaloid music broadcasts during lunch break… so they’re trying to stop young people developing a taste for Vocaloid music, are they?”

“Saying they’re no good just because they are machines is like banning Johnny’s groups because they are idols. It’s not a sound reason at all. They should at least understand something about Vocaloids beforehand.”

“Hearing this reminded me of something similar at my little sister’s middle school. They banned them at lunch too. Something to do with the lyrics being no good, apparently.”

2ch’s response:

“Doubtless because they are associated with otaku.”

“Seems some places even broadcast anime songs during lunch.”

“This atmosphere really is unpleasant.”

“Well, that’s what school and society are like. Once the prejudice is ingrained we might be seeing some laws banning us from listening to Vocaloid music everywhere. If you don’t like it, become a politician or something. People who just sit and spout complaints whilst doing nothing have no right to complain in the first place.”

“Imagine having to listen to a bunch of anime music which reeks of otaku all lunch, it’d ruin the atmosphere.”

“Who cares what music they broadcast at schools. It’s just for the self-satisfaction of one lot of them over another.”

“Imagine playing one of those Miku songs with lyrics about meltdowns in one of the contaminated zones, it’s no wonder they are banned!”

“This is pure creepy otaku doing. The ones who want to play that stuff are just creepy otaku who’ve become too big for their boots.”

“I wonder what those old guys would have had to say about the Beatles being banned in their own day?”

“This is because the broadcast clubs naturally end up packed with otaku. I was like that, but I still made sure to play tunes everyone knew.”

“When I was at high school the slightest suggestion of otaku type stuff would see everyone turn on you. It’s amazing to see they’ve seized the initiative like this.”

“The reasons are pretty weird. Does that mean they shouldn’t broadcast any music with no lyrics?”

“Who cares if they air this stuff. When I was airing the music I liked I thought of it as brainwashing them, sort of thing.”

“Miku’s religious following is become ever more devout. As expected of our angel Miku!”

Such schools now join the illustrious company of visual-kei bands in their unfriendly attitude to the music of virtual idols.

23:52 12/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

The only thing to do is wait for all those old, useless people to die off.

08:34 13/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

That won't do. Kill off one generation, and the next generation of uptight control freaks will just take over. People who use political power to oppress ideas are all the same. Out of fear of their growing irrelevancy, they force their own worldview on the entire society so that they may feel some kind of twisted sense of accomplishment.

If history serves as any indication, waiting has never solved any problem.

12:36 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

more like people with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder... every person who's afraid of dynamism has one :)

10:19 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

@ 08:34
    "and the next generation of uptight control freaks will just take over"

you'd think that if something survived for generations in the first place, the people must willingly accept it.

but keep tossing weeaboo logic around as if you knew anything about how Japanese society works.

Comment by AzureXuchilbara
    01:55 13/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

We must all replace our countries leaders with anime-oriented, hentai fiends!!!

Thus will all lies and bigotry for every country end...

And stripped pantsu vending machines will be alongside the soda selling ones!!!

02:03 23/09/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

We already have homosexuals becoming mayors in states. I'm hoping for a 2D loli-friendly upper-top if u know what I mean. Dance in the Vampire Bund and more!!!

Unless that was sarcassm you are very sick =)

Also I do agree with the fact that it's not that great a genre of music but you might as well say that for pretty much everything electronic. I just don't understand the hype around it. I seriously don't like the voice and all - and I'm listening from to pretty much anything (Hardstyle, Heavy Metal, Classic, A Capella...)
    so well.
    I guess though if you want to listen to it get headphones - as everyone here in germany does it. We don't have roadcast music and I'm happy about it.

18:09 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You must be new here.

06:36 14/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Welcome to San-Com. We do hope you enjoy your stay and give your fair share of "tribute" to the society.

...imouto pics pls.

Comment by Satou Tatsuhiro
    19:21 14/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally someone talking with sense.

23:51 12/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"because it's a machine"?
    what kind of argument is that?
    by that logic you could ban any kind of musicc that uses instruments

only ominous latin chanting allowed

01:15 13/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

ISHItHARA was there! He's behind all of this !

08:30 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

It's part of the plan. I hope a heart attack punch his heart once and for all.

Comment by Alexeon
    16:02 13/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I hope I can punch his heart once and for all.

Comment by Diemeow23
    19:25 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

*Sigh* Old Haters Hating

Comment by TFish
    00:25 13/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Soon enough we will have true AI. It will be interesting to see robotic activists protesting discrimination against the Artificial minority.

01:39 13/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I say they bring in vuvuzelas and start blaring that shit until the teachers commit suicide.

Comment by Nataniel

or stuff those vuvuzelas up some teachers' asses, that can work too!

04:12 13/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

This is yet another sign of the aging, and increasingly out of touch people that currently head japan. Their young need to find ways to nip this shit in the bud, and get some politicians in play that have their interests in mind (this goes especially for the school boards).

17:12 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it's like you wanna punch the moon from earth by saying that. people are docile and are like pack mules these days. japan has the biggest pack mules thus far

13:18 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

people (and I'm talking fans and non fans alike) seem to forget that vocaloid songs are written and produced by real musicians and lyricists.

08:12 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't see any problem with this if the lyrics were rude or disturbing there. Middle schoolers can get carried away by desirable voice and the lyrics can lead them to anywhere.

Its not similar to this scenario. Vocaloid songs are good. Theres fanmade songs where people can express themselves through Vocaloid and if teachers say its not good and ban it, then they should ban every individuals' creativity skills that are related to composing songs and writing lyrics.

Just realised this comment has nothing to do with the title, but saying "its just a machine" is a drivel to start off with.

00:45 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the machine spirit is not pleased.

01:13 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The machine spirit is with us!

Comment by Elcachetondelpuro
    01:59 13/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

That line about "ominous latin chanting" in made of win ;)

01:31 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can feel the warp overtaking the schools!

Comment by Shippoyasha
    00:02 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's not forget classical music should be banned. Italian? Latin? Esperanto? Who the hell knows the lyrics at that point?

03:08 13/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I know about them because i'm italian O_O

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:21 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Fair enough. XD Just speaking for the Japanese in this situation.

A machine...a machine that makes more money than those lousy teachers. They jealous.

Comment by Vu Le Khoa
    01:39 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Lets be honest, they are jelous, cause they suck!
    Being less than a machine make them proud :))

Comment by Yourtime
    03:21 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

"because it's a machine"? .. that's an argument of an typical high society western..

LOL so technically autotune should be forbidden in schools too.. NOOOOOOO AAUUUTTOOTTUUNNEE

Comment by AzureXuchilbara

One must embrace the Leek in the Shell, for she only brings us all eargasms...

First off, our cybernetic songstress is a program and not a machine...

(LEEKNET will exist nearing Judgment Day)

Secondly if they can ban her 'because she's a machine', then I smell full-blown hypocrisy id they won't ban other machines in school...

(If it's made of metal/has metal parts/circuitry running on electricity or battery, it's a f*cking machine, so up your bigot-hypocrite ass PTA!!!)

Otaku hysteria, ignorant loathing, or just downright idiocy, I do not know...

Also, the below statement summarized it for me:

23:38 12/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Wut? they broadcast music during lunch? god damnit, all we had is a god damn annoying fire alarm-like bell :/

Comment by Shiroinoshishi
    14:22 13/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Back in the day, we had these things called headphones.

Why are they broadcasting music at lunch in the first place?

03:48 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I'd rather have that than be forced to like and listen to the same music as everybody else. I'm glad none of my schools ever played music during lunches.

23:51 12/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm so jealous I wish my school could replace it too

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    09:20 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Awwwwww ~ poor Miku Chan is left out in the cold!!
    o.0**?

02:14 18/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet, fire alarm is far better than, say, Lady Gaga tunes everyone knows... though I know none of them.

Comment by ItsDemo
    15:07 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

if you had an alarm-like bell for music, then you weren't going to school. you were going to a juvenile detention hall.

Comment by Sukunai
    00:04 13/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Just a machine?

Retards, you play them ON machines, they're programs.

Smells more like anti otaku hysteria or something. Maybe a pissed off musician that fears the future.

03:10 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

well, even if it were machines composing music.. where does the problem resides?!

The future is going to be Miku, no matter what!

04:10 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I find your comment highly disturbing. So you want to say that in your ideal future there won't be any real musicians and singers anymore? Just a (quite attractive) virtual entity with an emotionless voice, without REAL emotions and without flaws?

I don't hate Hatsune Miku, I like the concept behind her and her character design. I just really hate how some people here stigmatize her into some real being that is somehow above all real, professional musicians and if some of those critisize the whole Vocaloid thing a tiny bit, they're instantly "poor" and "jealous". Get over your fanaticism and accept people who like listening to real people singing and performing and not some guys playing instruments in the shadows and a dancing hologram.

07:07 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Vocaloids can't write music, composers do.

07:17 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Right. They didn't "steal" anything from a mascot for a computer software developer. They stole a composition from a composer who wrote it.

Comment by Gitami
    07:06 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

“When I was in Sankaku Complex the slightest criticism of Hatsune Miku would see everyone turn on you. It’s amazing to see they’ve seized the initiative like this.”

Some of the songs sound as natural as real people would sing them and that's because of the dedication and knowledge the writers put into vocaloids. They put the emotions they want to convey into the pitches and levels. I don't see how the emotions the song writer-programmers want to convey can't be accepted as real just because it doesn't come from an organic vocal chord.

04:43 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Then why "real" musicians steal music from vocaloids like in the incident presented before?

23:41 12/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

As a vocaloid fan myself, truthfully, I'd say the music can make meals unappetizing, I've worked in a restaurant b4 and ever played vocaloid music, ending up with customers complaining that they cant concentrate on their meals. I know that not everyone is a fan of vocaloid as some might not like high pitch and robotic sounds, so it's up to the school whether they want to play it or not. I think vocaloid music are more suitable for places like clubs and concerts as they liven up the spirits of the patrons due to their catchy pop tunes and electronic sounds.

13:40 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Playing vocaloid music in a restaurant? Yes, you deserve to be complained against. Clealy, you have no idea what kind of music is appropriate in such a setting and only care about broadcasting your music preference.

Comment by LonerGoth
    22:24 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

there are many songs with vocaloids in them, like the operatic one... a vocaloid specifically designed for opera.