Top 25 Anime That Hooked You on the First Episode

hot-anal-reclining-in-bed-by-minawa.jpg

Some anime are so compelling they succeed in persuading many viewers to watch the entire series on the basis of only the first episode – anime fans supply a ranking of just which exceptional titles they found able to do so.

The ranking:

10. Neon Genesis Evangelion

11. Full Metal Alchemist

12. K-ON!

13. Ore no Imouto

14. Mushishi

15. Mitsudo Moe II

16. Kore wa Zombie Desu-ka?

17. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

18. Clannad

19. To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

20. Highschool of the Dead

21. Toradora!

22. Dennou Coil

23. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

24. Cowboy Bebop

25. Gurren Lagann

The presence of Cowboy Bebop in the list, even at so low a point, alone probably validates its contents for many.

See also the near opposite “dropped in 5 minutes” ranking.

Comment by cats2
    23:20 30/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Huh?

Mahou Shoujo Madoka made me stop after the first episode and double check forums saying "Why the hell are you raving about a mahou shoujo..." after all the praise it got once it was 4+ episodes into the season.

Before the "nom nom nom" happened there wasn't much talk about it either.

Comment by Megidola
    23:33 30/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Anyone that was hooked after the first episode must have had a very nasty surprise coming to them.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:02 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

Bet they all thought, "D'awww, Kyuubee's so cute!" before the butchering began.

Never trust something at doesn't have fcuking eyebrows or show emotions.

02:25 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Like that deadpan cashier at the convenience store who has her eyebrows shaved and replaced with tattoos?

04:53 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Moreover, everything in the world has a creepy touch : the intro's nightmare, the weird and too large bathroom, the "palacey" school, the transprent classrooms looking like laboratory cages...

one must be pretty oblivious to "details" to mistake madoka for an average magical girl anime

03:49 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, they didn't. I was hooked because I suspected Shaft might try to shaft us with this "too beautiful to be true magical girl series". Instead of getting shafted, I almost shat my pants though.

Comment by Yamato
    12:16 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

the dream sequence in the first episode may've felt as though it was foreboding something. But really, even the most light-hearted of mahou shoujo series tend to grow rather grim as the finale approaches, so I didn't think much of it and still more or less assumed typical fare (albeit, the genre's typical idea of a "grim" end game is "oh no, the forces of darkness are taking over and the sky got cloudy" and not so much "half the cast has been killed off, there's no hope for you Homura, and your continued vain efforts are gonna make things even worse than, if you could even imagine it, all the shit that's happened so far"). Even when episode 3 did hit, while rather unexpected, I was just expecting Madoka to wish for a revival. Once we got to the end of episode 6, however.... oh shit. Yeah, that fully affirmed to me that this was indeed a deconstruction.

Comment by Castian
    01:06 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

me beign a victim of that XD
    "aaaw so cute" then a sudden splat of gore to a cute character "woah i just felt like schooldays ending"

01:22 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I was impressed solely on the fact that they didn't have Mami wield a magic rod. Serious.

02:59 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Expect Yuki Kajiuras music.
    Reason why i was hooked.

Comment by homulilly
    23:27 30/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

It's cause it's magical girl anime made by shaft.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    00:58 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Exactly why I watched in the first place.
    Shit always goes down with shaft, hard.

Comment by Satonaka
    03:22 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

Same reason, I knew for a fact that It wasn't gonna be your ordinary stuff.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    00:35 02/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

knowing shaft,shit will happen

01:49 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I actually thought it didn't look very interesting from the beginning. I like Shaft's imagery in their anime (probably because I'm an artist), but taking a look at the promo art/trailers... I didn't expect much from it.
    Then I hear Kajiura Yuki was doing the music and felt compelled to watch it for simply that reason.

And boy, I'm glad I watched it from the beginning. The fact that it wasn't that great at the beginning only made the rest of it so much better (if mainly for the fact that it destroyed what it had been setting up--with a purpose, at that).

Comment by Yamato
    12:27 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

same here. I mainly came for the Kajiura soundtrack. But as much as I love Kajiura's golden touch, I can't deny that it was the only thing keeping some of the titles she was involved in from being downright mediocre. That said, I went in not having a clue that the series itself would turn out to be so fucking awesome. ^^

Comment by rei_yuriko
    04:34 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

exactly. I knew it was going to get crazy.

Fucking virgin Otakus, GO OUTISDE AND GET A FUCKING LIFE!

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    00:36 02/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

says you being in SC

16:54 01/07/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

The image I get from your name is a gay-man squeeling over overrated shit O___O

16:53 01/07/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Love the fag-name bro. Did it take you long to come up with it?

08:41 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

totally agree with you. in hindsight, mahou madoka is a great show, as a whole though. it doesn't really have the whole ground-breaking madoka's going to be a goddess forshadowing in the first episode; in fact the first episode is highly misleading making viewers think it's another magical girl show. so although praise to mahou madoka, it doesn't deserve so much based on the first episode (unless you enjoy magical girl shows and that's how you were got hooked)

00:20 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

shaft show with character design by ume-sensei was more than enough of a reason to watch this for most people

05:14 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

ume + Kajiura + Gen + Shaft = instant watch.

Comment by SunnyJ
    05:49 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

As soon as I saw Gen + Shaft I was like... srz... this is not going to end pretty. Then I saw Kyuubee.. and I was like aww, isn't that a cute little devil... now kill it before it kills you... aww shit too late...

I was shocked but very happy at the end of episode 3 (any other Mami haters out there?)... Though, I can't say that it was the first episode that caught me but I would have watched the whole thing with or without episode 3... which was what really caught the masses...

02:59 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Ya I thought it was pretty boring too. Like not much even happened until the end of the episode, and it wasn't even enough action in my mind.
    I wouldn't say many anime has actually "hooked" me in after just 1 episode. The only one in recent memory that did was deadman wonderland, but only since I like the horror genre.

06:26 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

i didn't quite get what was the all the fuzz about this anime.
    it was ok, but nah i didn't feel in love with it.

23:29 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's so true, and that's why I made up a term for those who only watch things cause someone else said it was good. It's like a fashion in that sense, so they're fashion retards: Fashtards.
    End of story.

Comment by Megidola
    00:23 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So what would you do, only watch things that people say are utter shit?

Comment by Justwon
    00:36 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Goddam hipsters.....

00:29 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

probably only stuff noone talks about at all so he can feel hipster because of his refined and special taste all those people watching mainstream shows would never understand

i think what he meant was how people don't seem to give things a chance and criticize/drop them off early or something

meh why can't we all just watch things we enjoy and stop moaning m'kay?

Meme making attempt fail. Here's a thumbs up.

After the writer was revealed it's kind of obvious what could happen.

Comment by DmonHiro
    23:47 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Some of us figured out what the show REALLY was from episode 01, right from the intro with the Walachia night and Kalafina music.

02:26 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I think you've got some Melty Blood on the brain ;)

You weren't phased by the artistic gorgeousness of the first episode?

Shaft are gods

Comment by Arekku
    00:37 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Tiger & Bunny is the shit imo, but everybody has different taste

Comment by kazaza2
    23:37 30/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

For me it has to be Gantz. So many WTF moments in the first episode. I was totally mesmerized by the weirdness of it.

Other ones that grabbed me on the first episode were Ergo Proxy and Wolf's Rain.

03:57 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Have you read Gantz manga?
    I forced myself to watch 15 episodes of this anime and I wanted to puke. It was so shitty I wanted to kill the whole studio that did it.

So recently I tried manga and I was left speechless. Almost a masterpiece, seriously.

Comment by kazaza2
    08:47 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yes I have and your right, the manga is far superior to the anime. I have to give the anime credit for making me curious about the manga though, otherwise I might have missed a great read.

04:14 24/09/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Really, cause I hated that manga. I can't remember his name, but the main character, one of the ones that die in the first chapter, was so pathetic he made me want to kill him again. Unfortunately I couldn't, because he's not real. But I got so pissed that I just couldn't make myself read anymore.

Comment by BisayaBoi
    23:39 30/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Ergo Proxy and Ghost in the Shell (Season 1/2) come to mind.

00:00 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

fuck I almost died watching ergo proxy.
    That shit was boring as fuck.

Looks like it was too deep for you.

02:49 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

for me it was one too many bunny costume annoyances

02:11 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Or maybe he just foun it to be boring... Really, it happens

Comment by toyNN
    02:44 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably not enough panty shots to keep anon interested.

Comment by Justwon
    00:41 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Nekomancer
    23:45 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

*high five*

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:09 01/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Episode 1 of Ga-Rei Zero was practically the first and last episode for some characters.
    But to butcher the entire cast....

08:48 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

looking back, i actually enjoyed the killed cast than the other one; their use of down to earth weapons (guns, motocycles, etc) were much more attractive than the overly used high-powered swords

Comment by Kudryavka
    02:25 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember that! It's strange how that draws you in isn't it? o_o''

Comment by SunnyJ
    05:58 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The exact reason I watched it... And why it is one of my favorite animes... then again I needed that type of dark anime (which is why my favorite/best anime is Madoka.. came at the exact right time when I wanted a dark anime)... I mean, you need to balance out the cute, moe, bright and in most instances plot-less animes with something that has a good dark plot... And Ga-Rei Zero really had an almost perfect ending for the story...

16:57 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'd almost flame you for liking Madoka...but the fact that you liked Ga-Rei Zero is enough to make me not flame you :D

Comment by Kudryavka
    05:11 02/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't recall Ga-Rei Zero having a proper ending though? I was under the impression that they were going to continue it in several arcs, since they had something like "Act 1 blah blah" o_o

I don't quite remember the exact details apart from one of them is called "Would you die for someone you love?" and another was "Would you kill someone you love because you love them?" or something