Top 25 Anime You Dropped Within 5 Minutes

pouting-menma-by-buchi.jpg

Most anime viewers are likely familiar with the experience of watching an anime they find so objectionable that they can only bear to watch for a few minutes before dropping it – now there is a ranking of just which titles attract such sentiments.

The ranking, not limited to recent anime but nonetheless dominated by them as “the ones you are most likely to remember just happen to be the most recent”:

1. 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku

2. Ano Hi Mita Hana

3. Henzemi

4. Ochinko

5. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

6. Softenni

7. Ore-tach ni Tsubasa wa Nai

8. “I’ll at least watch the whole first episode!”

9. A Channel

20. Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi

21. Nichijou

22. Kampfer

23. Sengoku Otome

24. Mitsudo Moe

25. Fractale

That some of the most popular and successful titles are loathed by many fans is of course a well known phenomenon, but it would seem only truly terrible quality, quirky content, or a problematic art style can ensure a title becomes an instant and literal turn-off.

Comment by Actar
    22:27 29/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Sorry, but I cannot take anyone who drops a show after 5 minutes seriously. First impressions are almost always wrong and 5 minutes does not give a show sufficient time for it to present all that it has to offer to its viewer. I say give a show at least an episode or two.

Ever heard of the phrase 'You can't judge a book by its cover'?

Comment by ytdh
    22:30 29/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

true 5 episodes maybe but 5 minutes is just too short you're barely past the opening at that point.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    00:15 30/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

They watch 5 mins worth, drop it, then proceed to blogging their one-way impressions to tell everyone its not good. Typical I'd say.

Comment by HouseLife
    04:25 30/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Everything I needed to know here is proven by the fact that some of the most popular anime are actually on this list.

I won't pretend I don't know exactly what happens in most cases for stupid people. Anyone childish or impatient enough to only give only 5 minutes to a show, literally, has been influenced by other people about it (Either that or they're so self-important that they judge that quickly, and therefore are merely assholes). The people who would go and blog about it and not mention the fact that "I only watched a few minutes, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here was why I personally didn't feel it was for me right now" are people whom I have no patience for at all.

Stupid, ignorant people use the words "hate" and "suck" to describe anything. They are not and never will be worth listening to. If they choose not to watch the show, and never again bring it up in conversation, those people deserve no ridicule. If someone asks them and they say "No idea, didn't rub me the right way" or "Somehow I didn't feel like it was for me right now, but maybe in the future I'll feel like watching it" then those are reasonable, mature people who recognize that your mood and where you are in your life affects your perceptions on what you want to see.

It's all moot anyway. At this point every time I hear any idiot say they hate a show, I immediately go "Oh, must be good then."

Comment by toyNN
    02:46 30/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Basically "yay" for #8 - I nearly dropped Melancholy of Haruhi because I thought eps 1 (00) was the quality of show!

02:14 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So, I dropped One Piece after 5 episodes, thus you can't flame me if I make a blog about how bad it was since I didn't drop it after 5 minuts, but 5 episodes.

Comment by zeeohsix
    20:31 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

gunslinger girl second season was the worst.

detail was high in the first one but second one looks like anime done in flash.
    first season they maintained secrecy.
    second season 1st episode, guise follows a van of terrorists on a scooter while henrietta riding in the back is shooting at them with her p90 in the city and broad daylight.
    wtf

11:52 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've dropped an anime in 5 minutes it was called Vampire Knight to say the least it was probably a girls harem anime and Im a guy, so no thanks

02:30 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

So, you think it's bad to drop an anime after five minutes... but it's okay to pigeonhold someone you've never met in even less time? Awesome, dude.

In most chases, 5 minutes is not enough. Some cases, however, it is. Not everything is black and white.

Some anime really are nothing but a repeated segment of previous events, making it a rather valid point - only watching the first segment, as watching the same stuff again could hardly provide any more entertainment.

And really, isn't it rather odd to continue to watch something you don't like? "Hay, this carrot tastes nasty!" "Eat more and you might like it!"

To drop an anime after five minutes because you simply didn't like it, is not automaticly wrong. To judge an anime after five minutes, is often wrong however.

09:59 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

After watching the lackluster 1st episode of genshiken AND then watching the whole series (which is in my opinion the best slice of life up till now) I can assure that you require at least 2 episodes to make a judgement.

05:07 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And yet, One Piece is a particular case where it, unfortunately, takes a loooooong time to really catch most of its audience. Especially the ones who aren't willing to read/watch the entire thing. But many people have found it to be quite special in the Shounen market, and there are some positive reasons for it being the best-selling manga series in Japan (in history?)... but, like everything else, it won't please everyone.

Still, the point is, One Piece is one of those series you would likely enjoy if you kept going, but you'd have to decide if it's worth it to do so...
    5 episodes is almost like 5 minutes of a 13-26 episode series. XD

04:27 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i agree i do have dropped an anime after 5 min, sometimes i gave them a 2nd time sometimes i don't. what i can say is intro's used to be a good reference for me, but lately i have seen shows that i liked but intro's scared me away, as example Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko's intro made me go away.
    another show i remembered running away from and later on saw it and liked it was Kanokon, bust as stated above it was much due to me finding it repetitive.

Comment by alidan
    13:52 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

HouseLife
    04:25

watching an anime for 5 minutes and giving up. i can see it and believe its a valid measure of time for many anime.

MOST anime are based off an already out their property. meaning you can judge the anime based on animation quality, you can judge it on filler, and you can judge it on voice acting.

people who played the vn already seen the better quality drawings, its kind og hard to sit through the mediocre and sub par animation they usually get.

for people who read the manga, (vampire bund im looking at you) and watch even 5 minuted of the anime only to see a heavy filler beginning or making the dance literal in the op, we collectively face palmed and stopped watching, i however kepped up with it for a few episodes, not watching, but skimming, and decided there was no fucking way this would be worth watching. or how about rosario vampire, when that got changed from an interesting monster school to a ecchi harem anime, sure it was part of the manga too, but the manga had at mot 2 panty shots while 22 minutes of animation had 44-48 panty shots (i fucking counted)

and voice acting. tell me that all english voice acting is good, ill direct you over to gastalt (sp), a very interesting anime, that is ruined my the ear rape voice acting. i cant speak for the japanease on this, because only people who can speak that language truly know if its good or bad.

what im saying is its not like us, who only really get 1 form of an property, they get EVERY form of it, from anime, manga, novels, to visual novels. in all likelyhood, the people watching the anime have experienced at least 1 other form of the property.

Comment by Cestralisk
    01:13 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

For lack of a blog let me just say that I watched 11 minutes of Kampfer. That's more than double the 5 minutes and I remember it was 11 minutes because that was when it reached the commercial screens. Reason for drop : The main character used a female voice in both male and female forms. Maybe if he wasn't such a sissy I could have enjoyed it. >.<

Partially in contrast to watching half an episode of Kampfer I managed to get though half the season of KashiMashi. Reason for drop : The main character felt right at home after being given a sex change without much of any shock. THE SHAME! How am I supposed to relate to a character like that?

@anon 02:30

ever watched mind game? my reaction for the first 5 minutes was like "WTF is thiz shat?!" and it turn out to be one of the most enjoyable anime movies i've ever watched, its the first recommendation i give to everyone...

just because you didn't like the first minutes doesn't mean the rest is crap as well, there are bunch of anime that actually begin as crappy clones on purpose just to make itself stand out when you realize it isn't crap

PS: another good example that happen to me was Panty and Stocking

"Hay, this carrot tastes nasty!"
    "Eat more and you might like it!"

The guy who replied was right.
    It doesn't mean that if the first bite is nasty, the rest of the carrot will also be nasty. It might be the best carrot you have ever tasted in your entire life. (though the first bite is still nasty)

Comment by Megidola
    23:34 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The first 5 minutes will usually tell you very little that you couldn't have already got from promotional materials, if you drop it here you may as well not have bothered watching at all.

If you watch all of the 1st episode, that will usually give you a good enough idea of the quality. If it's not to your taste, it's unlikely that subsequent episodes will be much different. If anything they'll be worse since 1st episodes tend to have higher budgets.

The rare exception would be something like Madoka that goes in a very different and unexpected direction, but of course you can always pick it up again if you dropped it.

00:38 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yea 5 minutes is never enough. Usually, when a series seems bad, I'd watch at least three episodes before deciding if it's bad enough to drop it. Most series I've watched was a little bit bland on the first episode but it usually picks up once it reaches episode 2 or 3. The only series I dropped after 10 minutes into the episode was White Album 2 though. Endured the first season but couldn't survive 2nd

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    00:08 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Megi all tsundere when he saw Ano Hana at No.2
    There, there. We've got more anal Anaru back at our place

Comment by Megidola
    01:50 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@Yoshii
    Anaru didn't appear until after 5 minutes (apart from the OP), so those people that dropped it didn't even know what they were missing out on...

@00:31
    Watching the first episode or two usually gives you a reasonable idea of whether a series has likeable characters, an interesting premise, good animation, and so on.

Comment by Kudryavka
    01:06 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm, actually this has been interesting me for a while, 'cause you know how everyone didn't expect Madoka to turn out like that?

I thought it was kinda obvious because Urobochi Gen wrote the script (You know, the guy who did the story for Saya no Uta. Or am I mistaken to believe that a lot of people know this Visual Novel? ;w;)

Ah, and so, since Gen wrote it, I was expecting some sort of cruel death or something along those lines... except I did not think it would be that early, that part was what really surprised me personally.

Edit-
    The one thing about Gen is he's just known for having a really bad view on life and humanity. I heard he's starting to get better about it but I'm not so sure after having seen Madoka ^^;

Comment by SpideyPHL
    01:04 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh guys, it's the show's responsibility to hook people early. It's not the viewer's fault if the show gave a bad first impression. Like Yahtzee says about a lot of games, if it takes half the game to get to the good part, the game isn't good. I think 1, maybe 2 episodes would be enough to see if a show's worth watching, it's not like many shows are longer than 12 or 13 episodes these days anyway. There are certainly a few shows where the first episode wasn't as good as following ones (Lucky Star comes to mind), but they still gave enough hope to keep the average viewer around for at least another episode.

As far as this list, Ochinko turned me off almost immediately for various reasons, and HenZemi and 30-sai were others this season that you could get a good impression of from the first episode. K-On and Madoka I made the unfortunate decision to listen to folks like you and stuck with them, and both left a distinctive impression of "meh" I could have saved myself if I'd gone with my first impression and dropped them early.

01:08 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anon, although you say one ep tells whothe MS is, there are special cases when it doesn't, for example Ga-Rei Zero.But I guess that really isjust a rare special case.

00:31 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1 episode really is not enough. 3 episodes, 5 episodes, half season, or watch it all, but 1 episode really is not enough it's only tells who is the MC

Comment by Sup t(^.^t)
    22:37 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Aye

11:32 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Ohh wow Riiku you have shitty taste and a fucking idiot for forcing yourself to watch an anime you don't like. What kind of logic is that?
    I feel sorry for you if you didn't like Railgun or Angel Beats.

06:59 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Boobanauts the Resonance? :D

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    23:19 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

6eps max for me,full 12~13 if bored

23:27 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe to accurately judge whether something is or isn't for you is to watch 5 episodes at the minimum.

To judge whether or not something is good or bad, you have to watch _all_ the episodes.

23:39 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If I am bored by the first episode(depending on how it ends) chances are I will have little incentive to keep going. There is plenty of other anime out there, games to play, places to go(can't be a shut in ;) ). Putting up with 5 more episodes to see if I might marginally like it is just time I could of spent doing something else.

Comment by Andices
    23:56 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sometime the first impression got me, if i hate the art i won't bother watching.

01:21 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

if you like x/1999 or the X the TV series then check out Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations.

Comment by Castian
    00:54 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

my bored-to-death experience was tsubasa chronicals, after 4 episodes i was lamenting having buyed 24 episodes at a friend advise [girl].
    my girlfriend liked the anime, not me, i hated the incompetence of every one, every character, everyhing.
    the first 5 minutes? i tought "looks good"

00:21 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

me.. need the 3 first episodes to evaluate it..

if it is a complete series, i will watch 3-4 episode randomly to check if it worth my time

Comment by NakkiNyan
    00:03 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If the animation sucks bad enough I could stop watching after 5min. other than that I have to agree that you need more than that to decide if something is worth watching (especially if it is story based).

Comment by Riiku

Anon 23:27

I also have this logic, and by following it I have wathced numerous series to the END through my willpower, even though I was unbelievably bored by it. And 100% of times such series turned out to be COMPLETE and UNFORGIVABLE SHIT in the end. The examples are:

K-ON
    Railgun
    Angel Beats
    and so on.

Comment by henwy
    00:09 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's sometimes justified. There are some art styles I can't stand and 5 minutes is more than enough time to evaluate that unless there's some sort of radical art shift halfway through the series. It's like black and white movies. Something about them just rubs me the wrong way and unless I've been forced, I've never watched one voluntarily. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great cinema, but the visuals just drive me crazy.

Comment by owi2000
    22:40 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

While that is true, I have to admit that there have been times when I've watched several episodes of an anime very reluctantly, only to drop it regretting that I've wasted my time with it.

First impressions are not always right, however there are times you really should listen to your gut.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    22:46 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I personally never dropped a 1st episode, ever. I guess I have a high tolerance, but if a show is made for little kids or is just something not geared towards me, I just see it for what it is instead of taking some ridiculous personal insult to it.

That said, it's just another hate thread. It's somehow even less constructive than the vapid 'top anime' threads.

And as I see it, we don't have the responsibility of passing judgment on things we don't watch. If anybody asks me about a show I dropped or lost touch with, I don't go on a diatribe about how I hated the show. I just say I don't watch it or couldn't follow it.

14:11 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@23:10
    I don't care about that.

23:15 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@22:56
    Well I heard that she was a girl

22:56 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anon 22:51:- No hes a logical thinking man, we don't get them good types often(if at all).

Comment by owi2000
    23:10 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

@ homu homu
    S/he must've really got you riled up if you have to troll him from another thread >.>

@anon 22:51
    If you disagree with something, feel free to disagree. But is that really the best comeback you could think of? So disappointing...

Comment by homulilly

o no the rapist is back!

22:51 29/06/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

are you a girl

Comment by Zanosuke_Kurosaki
    07:57 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, first impressions can actually be quite -correct-, it's just that many people are dishonest with themselves. Once you've got your self-image clear and matching up with the reality, it's quite easy to see everything else for exactly what it is.

05:12 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Even so... where's To Heart 2?
    Seriously, they didn't do any justice to Tamaki Kousaka (well, perhaps only the seiyuu did).

Comment by caiooa
    06:53 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the first 5 minutes of gits 1995 are godlyke. K-on first 5 minutes aren't.

07:06 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Actar: I believe you speak for many. 5 min is indeed ridiculous.

5 min = next-to-nothing for an attention span. So many good titles would probably be lost and forgotten.

06:10 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I personally give all anime's 3 episodes,but there are just some that you know you will not like.Like you start watching an anime because it had good art,but then 5 mins later there are signs of guy on guy action about to happen-DROP IT!(unless you like that sort of thing)

05:53 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So you seem to be someone with a lot of time at hand.
    Many people, like me, just don't have the time to judge every book by its contents.
    So we have to go by the cover.
    University and work are keeping me so busy that I barely have time to watch three series.
    To decide which three series I'm gonna watch I just have to go with the first 5 - 10 minutes, then maybe some skipping through the rest.
    Artwork looks kinda strange? DROPPED (eg Ochinko)
    Doesn't seem to have any story? DROPPED (eg Oretachi ni Tsubasa...)
    Is just boring? DROPPED (eg A Channel)

"Never judge a book by its cover" would mean, when you go into a library you'd have to take EVERY book and read 20 pages then decide if you borrow it or not. Impossible!
    Cause there's soo many Books/Animes/Movies/etc out there it's just not feasible to NOT judge by the cover.

08:16 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

an anime of the eccho genre can redeem itself for lack of story with some satisfying fanservice, but even that was not enough ore censored in tsubasa

05:36 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Bullshit, watch K-On. It's the first 5 minutes for 24 episodes.

Comment by Japancrazie
    05:57 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

“I’ll at least watch the whole first episode!”
    epic. really. 5 minutes of it. bleh.

19:00 04/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Bah! life is too short to spen in unworthy causes.

If 5 minutes are not enough for you to decide, gee you'd better stay away from activities that requires fast reaction.

23:43 15/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Just for the record, I dropped FLCL years ago after about 5 or 10 minutes. I just saw the whole show a week ago, and I wish I hadn't seen it. It was so stupid. Honestly, I don't understand why so many people like it. It was one of the biggest pieces of crap I've ever seen. So boring, and not funny.

So "don't judge a book by it's cover" is one thing, but if a show loses your interest, it's not necessarily a reflection of you so much as the show's ability to draw you in.

17:52 02/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Three ep rule its a anime law

17:27 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

5 minutes is definitely too short. Usually the first couple episodes are nothing but introduction of the primary characters and vague hints toward the overall plot. 4 to 6 episodes usually a good cutoff depending upon how the pacing is, at least at that point you have an idea what the rest of the show will be about.

23:16 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i give a show at least 3-5 eps. VERY rarely have i only given a show 5mins (can only remember 2 timnes

Comment by Nue
    23:05 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the only anime i've dropped is that damned school days..

23:39 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

5 mins... 2 mins of that would be the OP haha

Comment by Holy One
    23:01 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. It's pretty shallow to drop an anime in just 5 minutes.

It takes me 2-4 episodes to decide, though I very seldom drop any anime I started. If it never caught my attention in the first place, I'd have never started at all.

22:39 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Definitely. Seeing this list made me go wtf(as usual) since I loved a lot, if not most, of the series in this list.

I mean seriously! Look at the list! Just look at it! Wth?

And 5 mins? You never ditch an anime that early. Even watching one episode isn't enough.

22:58 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I try to watch minimum 2 episodes..

01:59 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

And Higurashi, I was about to drop it at ep 3 but a friend told me to wait until ep 5.

And to think I was about to drop such a great series *shudders*

00:05 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Then you've totally missing out on Madoka Magica if you stopped at 2. :P

22:56 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

true that, i usually give every show achance of 3-5 episodes, even if the first one puts me off

00:56 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I disagre. I droped Death Frenzy after I think 15 minuits. That show was HORRIBLE.

02:36 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You can't judge a book by it's cover... Take Psychology 101, the cover of a book is more impartant that we'd like.

Comment by Thage
    23:58 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Go watch Lovely Idol, I dare you.

00:42 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I disagree, I think 5 minutes is more than long enough in most cases. Lets face the facts, the reason we don't drop Evangelion, Berserk, KGNE, Higurashi, school days, gundam series full metal panic, kanon, clannad (and hundreds more), is because the quality is frankly far higher than most other series. Even animes like shakugan and tsukaima, which are blatant harems now, but actually started off extremely well. The first seasons dominated the subsequent sequels by a longshot. I haven't enjoyed anime since the 90's in most cases as well, they just seem to commercialised these days, like 'oh another harem' or 'oh another shounen' which is why I generally only read manga now for the most part. One the stories better and isn't deluded with a fill-a-thon and you can tell much quicker whether you'll like or dislike it. Most animes don't do the stories justice at all, look at Freezing, total flop if you ask me but the manwha is epic.

especially in anime.
    anime generally takes some time to grow the beard

04:23 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ya neh, Doesn't it depend on the person who watches it?

Your right!! 5 minutes its just so quick to drop some anime..maybe some 3 episodes before it dropped ^Y^

they must be narutards...

Narutards : no fighting scene at opening song = drop

narutards....

09:01 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, I think the Narutards would be the ones sticking by the most anime.
    My first anime was naruto, I got hooked so bad on it. But believe it or not, we aren't all tards
    Hell, I like all the stuff on this site, madoka, etc. I absolutely detest people who judge things from the first impression. Sure, you can HAVE a negative first impression, but don't outright drop it unless it's entirely a piece of crap. I think the only show I think was entirely crap was maybe Kampfer, seemingly like the rest of us...

11:57 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I like naruto but honestly that very first season was dreadfully boring for me. I didn't even think it started to get good was till the Zabuza arc then i got hooked and the chunnin exams sealed the deal.

Comment by Satonaka
    05:57 01/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

First 135 episodes of Naruto are great, then fillertown begins, then... when I thought Shipuuden was gonna save the day... the Manga did, but the anime sure as hell didn't, mini-filleresque plots crept in and that ruined the whole show for me personally. Shipuuden in my eyes failed to keep me a fan of the anime, which is why for this one particular show, I'll just stick with the manga.

23:11 29/06/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

First impressions are generally right; it's a result of evolution. Read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.

Shows I dropped within 5-10 minutes:

Umineko no naku koro ni
    Dokuro-Chan

Comment by owi2000
    23:24 29/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I've read that book, so I'll agree with you. "However comma", in anime that will only hold true if the anime producers don't have extreme plot twists intended, which could make an uninteresting anime into a mindblowing one.

>implying this book isn't just some baseless assumptions and the author fails to prove anything of it

oh you

also
    >dropping dokuro-chan
    oh YOU

00:39 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL! nice one aninymous 23:28