Top 10 Reasons You Dumped Your Ex

broken-hearted-bishoujo-by-tcb.jpg

Japanese people quizzed on the reasons they split up with their ex-boyfriend or girlfriend supply the expected relationship minefield ranking, one unlikely to do much to reassure those currently in such a relationship.

The ranking:

1. You liked someone else

2. They were selfish

3. They cheated on you

4. “For some reason or other”

5. You got tired of their habits

6. You got bored of fighting all the time

7. They were too restrictive of you

8. You no longer had enough time to spend with them

9. Their sense of morals or manners was inadequate

10. It turned into a distance relationship

Narrowly missing out on inclusion were “they spent money wildly” and “they were tight-fisted,” both coming close together, and perhaps in less charitable interpretations being identifiable as the two sides of “they spent too much on things other than me and not enough on me.”

Interestingly, amongst the least cited (though by no means uncited) reasons for dumping an unwanted partner were “their parents objected,” “they wanted to marry,” “they refused to marry,” “you can’t understand their interests” and “they don’t appreciate your interests.” Possibly they all simply encountered one of the other reasons first…

Comment by Bass
    15:05 25/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"1. You liked someone else"

This is understandable but I find it to be bullshit, then how come you are with your current partner? This only shows how miserable someone can be to the other party.

15:50 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Kimi no Iru Machi?

Well one way to interpret this is the "fallback" girl/boyfriend. Some people feel they have an unrequited love or was just recently dumped so they look for the next easiest thing to fill that space with someone else. They act like your typical couple, but there was never any real feelings behind their actions.

18:19 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

look at you talking all high and mighty...
    when a relationship has been going on for years it can happen that you become more distant and maybe you fall in love with someone else.
    what's the alternative to breaking up, cheating on him/her/ with that new person? or are you serisouly suggesting that someone is simply not allowed to fall in love again?

someone has been watching too much anime, relationships don't last forever and ever in real life

18:36 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Way to get hostile, sir. I never implied anything like that. Of course I don't expect all relationships to last forever; it just doesn't work that way. Actually, I agree with everything you said. I guess I just didn't make myself clear enough in my previous statement. I am just saying it's always possible to try to make it still work, but of course, sometimes it just doesn't. That is when it's probably time to leave.

19:06 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ok, then i just misunderstood

Why won't they last forever? My grandfather and grandmother married when they were about 20 and they are still together.

Not sure about todays brats tho, maybe they're just too much full of themselves to not try fix things.

Or they're just too brainwashed by media and sites like Sancom to think that it's "cool and edgy" to be cynical about relationships.

It's a moot point though. 99.9% of the basement mouth-breathers here will never be in one.

15:35 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Seriously the only one i could understand was #3, #6 and #10

#1 WTF r where u dating him/her for?
    #2 U sure u aren't the one being selfish
    #4 TOTALLY STUPD REASON!!
    #5 no one is perfect >_>
    #7 Dude, just ask for more space
    #8 Unless your dieing then make time.. who the FUCK doesn't have time to hangout with girlfriend/boyfriend...
    #9 i just don't understand this one..

it's no wonder the birthrate is dropping there.. =(

15:40 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

#9 is somewhat understandable, depending on the situation. Not sharing things like values / morals in a relationship can, at times, be a difficult thing. There may be things one person in the relationship may find harmless, while according to the others values, it is unfaithful and wrong. If that makes sense.

However, it is always possible to try to make compromise of the issue instead of just giving up immediately.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    19:53 25/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Not just morality speaking, but it'd be insanely annoying to have a partner who can't shut up about religion, their own righteous sense of morality and politics.

Comment by Ikuhisashiku
    21:31 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"There may be things one person in the relationship may find harmless, while according to the others values, it is unfaithful and wrong."

For example, how a lot of people find checking out others as a sign that the partner is being unfaithful. Not everyone has a problem with it for one reason or another, but for the ones that do it can be a pretty big thing.

I once had an ex like that. Even the moments I wasn't checking out anyone, she still thought I was. In my defense, I never checked out many people anyway. And, I always made sure to let her know she came out on top. But, then again, she was a bit on the insecure side, so that explains a lot of it.
    *shrug*

Point is, even something as harmless as looking at others can come between you and your partner if you let it.

03:20 28/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you sound kinda... lefted...
    So ask too, are you a girl?

03:50 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

this survey is wrong the top reason would be

HORRIBLE SOON TO BE IN-LAWS

21:15 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

are you a girl

16:28 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

In this day and age, with the technology we have to bridge the miles, #10 isn't even a very good reason anymore.

Comment by kazaza2
    23:53 25/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

@ Anon 16:28

Though many may try you can't make love to your monitor.

Comment by Rosencroft
    01:36 26/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Comment by kanbanmusume
    02:07 26/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

@ Rosencroft

Shocking! ;)

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:21 25/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I think you severely underestimate the intimacy of skinship and simply hanging out with one another.. It's much more likely something is going to happen if you're physically with someone. Somethings just goes into motion physiologically. Pheromones or such, I am not too sure. But certainly better than any cellphone/internet relationship as far as immediate intimacy goes.

Comment by Majineko
    23:20 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@anon #2 & #5 leads to 6. and #7 leads to #10. im guessing 9 is how he or she treat others around you, close to 5 and thats an ok reason to breakup with some1. apart from 4, this list is perfectly understandable.

02:32 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The first reason is indeed the one I really don't understand. I mean I can't consider the possibility to like someone else except the one person I'm dating (that's why I'm dating her in the first place). It's impossible for me to consider other people as potential dates, unless I break up first, and start looking for someone else.

i dont know why 10 made your list...if you love them distance should mean nothing.
    before you started dating them, you ddid stuff right? if its distance and you cant meet anymore, your still doing the stuff you did before you were dating. but if you break up with them...then..you start doing the stuff you were doing before you were dating...except now your down 1 partner....so that doesnt make any sence to me.

Comment by kumesana
    15:22 27/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

For a lot of people having a boy/girlfriend is additional pressure, or at least responsibility. There is a downside to it. That's fine when you get the upsides too, but long distance relationships do not provide much pleasure.

Also, you're not supposed to show too much interest in someone else when you're officially in a relationship. If you're following the rules, keeping a worthless relationship will make you miss out on opportunities for other relationships. Some people do follow the rules. I think one shouldn't expect much trust when one doesn't.

Comment by htt69me
    05:23 30/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I kinda agree. This is more like a elementary excuse.

03:21 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's the slow fade of love...

17:16 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well the truth of the matter is that sometimes the feeling just goes away for some people. It's terrible, but believe me it happens. Things seem to be going well and then, yeah, it just happens, usually without the other person even realizing it.

Comment by Diemeow23
    17:41 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah so true I mean Teens can go all love this and love that but while one is a teenager the body is still looking for it's best "Mate" like it or not, only thing teenage couples for so long is the feeling of guilt from just recently starting a relationship but in truth their bodies are just turning on it's "partner" radar again

That's why a lot of countries only let marriages over 18 cause well any younger and the chances of success and chemistry is just too big of a gamble even if they say the "love each other"

Then again, I could be wring the article doesn't seem to show any sign of what age demographic it was concentrated on X3

18:08 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But that's exactly where commitment comes in. Of course a loveless relationship is never something anybody wants, but I feel people just give up too easily sometimes. That's not what commitment is. True commitment is a conscious choice that you promised both your lover and yourself that you would always make, for better or for worse.

18:23 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's just it. Maybe the other person just gives up on you and doesn't want to try anymore, and then you get left out in the cold while they find someone else.

15:35 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Precisely. However, while I do find it wrong, it is always the better thing to do rather than to stay with a person in a loveless relationship, or worse; cheat on them instead of just leaving.

19:58 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude this is because this world we're living in is filled with traitors.. no i dont sound bitter!

01:36 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You do; but that does not mean that is is UNTRUE.

Comment by kintama00
    21:28 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ever heard "Give them nothing, but take from them…everything!"
    it's a basic rule in life, works for everything..
    Greed Is Everywere.
    now add 2+2=..

Comment by Holy One
    16:45 25/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

What about 'not loving you anymore'?

Or... or when the girl's becoming too old as loli? :-*

Comment by Hayate
    17:42 25/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

lol, not loli enough....

"i love u not cause of your boobs" was always a true words...

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    19:57 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"Its because you have no boobs" ain't a romantic line either.

10:17 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I miss how small your boobs were...

05:11 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Right on par with "I can't love you anymore 'cause your boobs grew"

21:58 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

They're reasons why a girl dumps her bf.
    In any case, it'd be when the boy's becoming too old as shota.

18:29 25/06/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

That's a shit thing to say dude.

17:48 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

they're also missing

"her corpse was too rotten"

and

"maggots got her gums"

Comment by TehChibiness
    21:40 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oy oy!
    Was your ex Izanami or something?

quote: "... he saw the horrid form of the once beautiful and graceful Izanami-no-Mikoto. She was now a rotting form of flesh with maggots and foul creatures running over her ravaged body."

Comment by Andices
    00:28 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Persona 4

18:35 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh, reminds of the that case in Kara no Shoujo...

15:23 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Personal reason: because he raided on WoW more than he "raided" me.

16:51 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I guess your "caverns" didn't have good loot.

18:31 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Okay, I lawled.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    16:22 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Guess some people are too obsessed with 2D.
    wait...

Comment by Diemeow23
    17:35 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Me?

"She couldn't accept 2D"

-_- 4everalone

Comment by kumesana
    15:53 27/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Mine: she was supposed to dump me for at least three of the reasons above, but some trauma prevented her to take responsibility of dumping me. Tired of it, I it did for her.

19:17 25/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I havnt had a girlfriend in ages mostly because ive never been in love, I cant relate at all with this list. /foreveralone ;_;

Comment by Shippoyasha
    21:12 25/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

People like you are probably more fashionable for girls who don't want floozies and male-sluts to hit on. Go out there and try!