Top 25 Moeblobs You’re Crazy About

touwa-erio-by-hachimoku.jpg

Moeblob fans yield up a list of the latest ‘blobs they find to be corrosive of such sanity as they retain, suggesting the Type B world is the midst of major regime change.

The ranking:

1. Erio Touwa (Denpa Onna)

2. Azunyan (K-ON!)

3. Shirayuki Hotogi (Hidan no Aria)

4. Kirino Kousaka (Ore no Imouto)

5, Tooru (A Channel)

6. Elsie (Kami Nomi)

7. Aria (Hidan no Aria)

8. Yui Hirasawa (K-ON!)

9. Ika Musume (Ika Musume)

10. Mikoto Misaka (To Aru)

11. Victorica (Gosick)

12. Kuroneko (Ore no Imouto)

13. Ohana Matsumae (Hanasaku Iroha)

14. Run (A Channel)

15. Nadeko Sengoku (Bakemonogatari)

16. Nano (Nichijou)

17. Hakase (Nichijou)

18. Nako Oshimizu (Hanasaku Iroha)

19. Charlotte (Infinite Stratos)

20. Kurisu Makise (Steins;gate)

21. Nagato (Haruhi)

22. Yui (Angel Beats!)

23. Haruhi (Haruhi)

24. Menma (Ano Hi)

25. Ikaros (Sora no Otoshimono)

It would seem it only takes a few short seasons to demolish the popularity even of such giants of the moeblob age as K-ON!…

Comment by Actar
    11:12 21/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

...and before anyone argues with the selection choice, I'd like to say that 'moeblob' describes a character with numerous appealing traits or 'Moe' factors. What are these factors? Stuff that incite a special feeling in you that could be described as a similar reaction to when you see something cute. It does not necessarily refer to a character that's the embodiment of 'extreme cuteness', nor is it a type of artstyle.

Or as described by numerous scholars such as Hiroki Azuma, a form of stimulation. Tsundere, Silent Character, Cute, Klutzy, Maids and Glasses are all moe.

Moe does not mean no characterization. Moe is everywhere. Moe can be anything. You can't escape it. Yes, moe is subjective and the moe factors can differ from people to people. However, those listed above are numerous common ones that are agreed upon by many people. It's Database consumption.

In that respect, Nagato, Misaka Mikoto and Kuroneko are moe as all hell. (^.^)

12:12 21/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Word. I don't get the moë hate around here, I can't understand those who hate a character just because somebody thinks she is moë.

12:22 21/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

The hate isn't of the characters themselves, but of the staple. Moe is just one type of character, but it's becoming the norm. Whenever any one type of character gets trendy, that type subsequently becomes annoying. When tsundere was trendy there were about 1000 shows with tsundere lead characters...and it got pretty old, pretty quick. It's the same with moe. It's gotten old now and it's time to wear another character staple out.

Comment by HouseLife
    18:45 21/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

@ Actar

Well stated on both fronts.

The problem with moe is not moe, it's language. For example, people these days may ask for 'Kleenex' when they want tissue paper, because Kleenex is the brand most identified with from our generations. That may even be perpetuated down generations. But the point is that many people may not even know the term tissue paper. They don't even think that when they ask for a Kleenex, they're actually asking for any brand of tissue paper with which to blow their nose.

That is the same issue with Moe. It's become an unconscious term for unconscious people. Even the words you used 'it's impossible to escape moe' will strike those unconscious of their connotative understanding of the word as a threat, as if Moe is a threat to their beloved stories and characters. In reality all well-rounded characters have a moe trait by the very definition of the word. At some point, a character will do something that elicits a variation of the feeling you described. Male or female. I'd say even Alucard and characters like him could technically be described as having a moe trait :D

The term just suffered the consequences of overuse and misuse. When something is just used so much, nobody knows or cares what it means anymore. Like Saved By The Bell, Dead Ringer, and all sorts of other phrases that nobody cares to question its origins, they just use it in whatever context they understood it to be when they first heard it.

If I happen to be unconscious for a moment when I hear something about a show or manga, I may unconsciously adopt at least a portion of that person's beliefs on it rather than form my own perceptions from scratch. It's ironic that since I started ignoring reviews and such, I'm rarely ever disappointed by anything, because I take it on its own merit.

*Special note from previous discussion... Nana fits within that 'rarely' :) That one buried itself for me without the help of outside influence.

Comment by Actar
    14:18 21/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

You do have a point, but while you can definitely wear out traditional 'moe factors', you can't wear out 'moe' itself, which has arguably been present since after Evangelion aired and the Sarin Gas Attack.

Previously, it was all about 'narrative consumption'. After Japan lost the war, the emperor was no longer thought to be as divine as he originally was and the 'grand narrative' was lost. It is argued that many turned to Anime to seek an alternate 'grand narrative', hence the popularity of Gundam and Space Battle Ship Yamato as these shows have their own vast universes and stories. At that time, doujins were mainly about people creating their own stories and plot lines with characters from the shows.

However, with the onset of Postmodernism (a concept whereby it has become more about the individual than the group/society), it has become more about the individual characters and 'moe factors', things that provide instances of stimulation. The 'moe factors' are drawn from a database of all the 'moe factors', such as Cat Ears, Glasses, Tsundere, Twin-Tail, Maid and hence the term 'Database Consumption'. Doujins reflect this change as there are far more doujins with erotic content nowadays and doujins revolving around single characters as opposed to the creation of new stories.

This being the case, any number of character traits can be seen as 'moe' and as I said earlier, 'moe' is more of a concept than an actual trait. It's a feeling of stimulation.

You mentioned Tsundere, which ironically is something that people found 'moe'.

So, while the popular 'moe factors' might change, 'moe' is here to stay for a long time unless something causes a great change in the mindset of people.

(For more about the 'Database Consumption' and research into 'moe', I highly recommend checking out the works of scholars such as Hiroki Azuma. It's a really enlightening read.)

18:11 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Very well explained, sir.
    That being said, I'd definitely watch the series with the town slut. It allows for unusual psychologic depth and fanservice, of course.

18:22 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are people so crazy about moe anyway?

Yes, I find some of the characters in anime cute, moe if you want. But it's not like I go crazy over them...

And I watch a lot of anime...

Comment by kazaza2
    01:11 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Actar & HouseLife

I agree, excellent dissertations on both your parts. Just thought I'd let you know that it's appreciated.

14:55 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I would like to suggest, as the new "trendy" character, the town slut. Basically the girl that the main character fucks just for fun, but eventually comes to realize that his acts of love are meaningless. And she would make for some awesome fanservice.

01:30 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think the hate for moe blobs is due to their excessive use, but rather due to them being used to distract the audience from lack of meaningful content. Moe characters are great because a good amount of the audience can agree they are likeable, but when that's the only real reason they fit into the show it becomes a problem for the overall quality of the show.

It's pretty much what happens to any popular trend, for example super heroes, zombies, vampires, and werewolves. All of them share that same problem with moe, they are used just because they are popular instead of because they fit a particular role really well.

Comment by Diemeow23
    18:05 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

People Say they hate it, but will secretly watch/fap and worship it behind the knowledge of those around them -_-

Perfect example is Infinite Stratos

KuroNeko and Nagato Yuki == Moe

^My description of this two are so Godlike, the the terms and languages I would have to use are still yet to be discovered by man

09:38 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Diemeow23

Wow Talk about self denial XD

They even Downvote you LoL

15:26 21/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

'Moe is everywhere. Moe can be anything. You can't escape it.'

It surrounds us, penetrates us, binds the universe together.

Every living thing has moe, due to the tiny organisms known as "moe-chlorians."

Comment by HouseLife
    18:46 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Pitch this to Production IG. Right now. DO IT!

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    14:44 21/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Exactly.

The way many use the words "moe" and "moeblob" as just a catch-all term to describe anything they hate, is wholly incorrect. When people make the term mean anything the want, and change the definition on a constant basis, it then becomes meaningless.

The truth of the matter is that Moe is anything which ignites an intense and personal passion and/or interest.It can be anything, however the term "Moe character" is acceptable. The longer phrase would be "characters most likely to induce a person's Moe". A "Moe character" would contain traits that are more likely to induce a person's Moe, i.e. "Moe traits". Things like these would be the "Dere" archtypes, silent types, dojikko, maids, etc, as previously mentioned by Actar. The term "Moeblob" however seems to be used in nothing more than a derogatory manner.

But no matter if there are "Moe Characters" who have one or more traits that are widely agreed to spark that intense passion or interest, the fact of the matter is that the feelings of Moe will ultimately always be subjective. You have felt feelings of Moe, as it is a natural extension of our human ability to love. As said previous, Moe can be anywhere, and it can do anything. Also as previously said, all characters on this list have traits that are widely agreed upon to be Moe, or traits that spark the feelings of intense passion or interest more often than not

Also, I fail to understand how this list shows a diminished popularity of K-ON. Both Yui and Azusa got into the top 10, and Azusa got 2nd place.

00:16 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The only thing I hate about Moe is how they use it excessively. An anime or manga made solely to be moe almost always forget to put story as part of its recipe.

Well... not that these examples are on the list but I may refer to some that is lacking in story but with excessive moe like Lotte no Omocha and Strike witches.

Yes yes I watch only a few episodes and I have read some of the chapters(lotte no omocha that is). Now why did I watch or read it, well that is simple and that is because I like the "PLOT" and the characters are cute and God damn Moe.

But after all that time cringing in a corner and just making myself dumber to continue on, I stop. Why? Well it is because "for Gods sake the pacing, the dialogue, the writing and the story is just.... bad."

You know, all this excessive moe will hurt the industry in the long run if they did not include quality and a good story to back it up. Just look at me, I have not watch those anime that are listed there except for Haruhi and Bakemonogatari. Why? It is because of my harrowing experience with the other run on the mill shows that is just depending on Moe characters to make and break the manga or show.

So yes Moeblobs are attractive but a lot of times the shows and manga that they are "in" makes me think twice if I will spend my free time watching or reading it.

Its a love/hate relationship.

17:40 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I love you, Actar

Comment by GodMan
    14:19 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Another brilliant speech

As for my moe Yuki and Ohana UNDENIABLE!!!
    Disappearance Yuki to just freakin protect or Original Yuki to just have her sitting in my room watching anime

And Ohana for her upbeat spirit that just...makes me Happy

Comment by AzureXuchilbara
    17:26 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"9. Ika Musume (Ika Musume)"

Ika-chan at number ⑨ for the third time in rankings~

⑨⑨⑨, de geso~

That's all that matters to me!!!

06:30 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The people who downvoted probably don't have as much awesome Ika-Musume goodies as you.

23:44 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I am moe for Guts.

Where's your God now?

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:53 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Still wishing for Tako-Musume (Octopus Girl!) in the Ikamusume anime sequel. A literal moe blob!

18:52 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

A literal moe blob would be the pink jello like monster from the classic horror movie 'The Blob' wearing nekomimi.

Comment by demonhaseo
    13:47 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm just saddened tenori isn't on here T^T TAIGA!!

Comment by Aster
    10:31 21/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

Erio at number 1? I approve.

Comment by ItsDemo
    11:34 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Erio is cute and all, but I'mma hafta go with Ryuushi. or um, Ryuuko

13:19 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I concur wholeheartedly with this. Ryuushi is made of pure fwuuuu.

10:49 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

me too
    but, Yui from Angel Beats qualify, WHERE IS KANADE?????

12:06 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This list is pure win, and yes Yui is more moë than Kanade, although it's a shame Kanade is missing from the list.

11:22 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Minakami Mai not in this list?

Good-good. I will have her for myself.

04:19 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yuck...take her...

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    13:23 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Same can be said about Haruhi and Nagato. Hell, I even found Mikuru to be more moe than Haruhi.

03:36 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Indeed Erio takes Moe to a new level (somewhere far beyond what K-on brings)

I must say I would rate Ikaros higher though ... Ordered my first Nendoroid because Ikaros + Watermelon = cuteness overload (The episode where Nymph get's introduced she's walking in chibi form with her watermelon in the most cutest way ever, she's Moe in normal form but in chibi form she blows a hole in the universe with her cuteness)

That said I still prefer badass women (f.ex. Black Lagoon girls) over Moeblobs no matter how cute the latter gets

Comment by minirop
    11:37 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Talking about sparkling, shouldn't Tsunashi Takuto be somewhere in the top ten?

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    13:24 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Can MILFs be moe? If so, I demand Meme to be at least in the Top 15.

Comment by SaltyPenguin
    14:21 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, stick her in #3!

Moeblobs 4EVA... I'm gay and single by the way.

14:56 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are you telling us this..? o_O

19:47 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

he is desperate

14:12 21/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

moe = "omg must cuddle" not "omg must fuck"

but some people just get that second reaction anyways.

Comment by EndlessGr8
    15:45 21/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I agree, I see it as an adorable factor. A Moeblob character is one you want to hug to death. :D

08:46 23/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

One does not exclude the other.

19:51 23/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon08:46 speaks the truth.

Comment by Storm
    11:38 21/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

normaly i dont care for moe blobs, but i approve of #1 Erio and #11 Victorica

Comment by someiyoshino
    10:34 21/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

It would also seem that these "lists"are pure baloney.

Comment by คภєк๏
    10:37 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This one certainly is, since people can't agree on a proper definition of "moeblob".

Comment by alidan
    10:48 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i have seen everything from a character with depth called a moeblob, to a shallow side character.

i hate that there is no solid diffinition yet.

Comment by คภєк๏
    11:43 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My definition of a moeblob is a character who seems to be nothing but a conglomeration of moe traits, with no apparent purpose but to appeal at least somewhat to a large variety of viewers.

I first saw it applied to Asahina Mikuru, when Haruhi was new. A good example, in my personal opinion, is Nogizaka Haruka.

Time to write that treatise then.

Comment by Eddyak
    11:26 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"moeblob"
    "Misaka Mikoto"

Whoever made that list, fuck you.

Comment by Imyou
    13:26 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Seconded. Apparently any popular female is a moeblob then.

Duh. It's a ranking from the internet. What'd you expect? A scientific treatise classifying the moëblobs into genera?

Comment by alidan
    11:40 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

we dont expect perfection, but we expect better than this.

isn't 'moeblob' a specific type of drawing?
    the type that makes chracter's face looks like a 'blob'?

the animes that i consider having moeblob characters are k-on, Sora no Oto and to some extent the later versions of haruhi.

the list above simply consist of loli/cute girls which ppl would describe them as 'moe'. so why call them 'moeblob' when we already have the term 'moe'?

80-90% of animes seen today consist of the same types of drawings in the list above. so 80-90% of animes are 'moeblobs' now?

oh, and i missed Seiken no Blacksmith as well....