Top 10 Anime Genres Working Women Want

victorique-de-broix.jpg

“Working women” supply a ranking of the adult anime genres they want to see more of, starting what seems to be a demand to see more soppy heterosexual romances and fewer gay sex harems.

The ranking, based on a sample of “working women” (apparently exclusive of “fujoshi” or “female anime fan”):

1. “Realistic romance” – 24.1%

2. “History” – 15.2%

3. “Mystery” – 14%

4. “Portraying the life of a working woman” – 11.4%

5. “Human drama” – 8.2%

6. “Intelligent battles” – 5.7%

7. “Musical” – 5.1%

8. “Hobby or sports” – 4.1%

9. “Hard boiled” – 4.1%

10. “Social” – 3.5%

2ch has views, as ever:

“But won’t they just bash a realistic romance?”

“Hana Yori Dango? Do they think that is realistic?”

“If that’s real, so are Negima and Infinite Stratos…”

“Working women won’t pay for anime, will they? It’s to be expected that the moetards who pay up get priority.”

“Sengoku Otome is the coming thing?”

“Rather, Heugemono is.”

“Victorica-chan has 1-6 covered.”

“How about Rurouni Kenshin?”

“Ika-chan is no good?”

“A realistic romance would be more like School Days. Scary stuff.”

“How about this:

9. “Hard boiled” – 4.1% – Deadman

10. “Social” – 3.5% – Kaiji

Like that?”

“Oh!”

“Splendid.”

Comment by Surrender Monkey
    08:28 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Nana was too much of an angsty soap opera for me.
    I preffered Berserk over that. Watching the relationship of Guts and Casca grow within the turmoil of the times was great. A guy who's willing to cut his own arm off to try and save the woman he loves is my idea of a romantic hero.

That's just me anyhow.

09:11 20/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

But after Casca got raped by Batman and subsequently retard, (because that's what happens when Batman takes you), Guts slowly stopped caring about her and switched to the newcomer Loli that gave him the berserker armor, hell by this time Miura went full Idolm@ster otaku.

Which explains many many things.

Comment by カンチ
    02:34 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad we are all up-to-date and everything...but that rape stuff is a pretty big spoiler for those who haven't read Berserk yet. I'm sure many will now though. It was pretty graphic.

I feel you on that comment about Nana, Houselife.

Comment by HouseLife
    09:33 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

*Spoiler tag for those who haven't seen it*
    Men just can't relate to women who are overly emotional for a long period of time. We just can't. Eventually, we just want the bitch to get over it and do something about it, or stop whining and wasting everyone's time. Even if it's a show, we can only listen to a woman whine about something without doing anything about it for so long. Nearly everything that happened to her was her own damn fault in the first half I saw, and she never realized it or seemed to learn from it at all, so I stopped giving a shit about her because apparently she was never going to do anything intelligent. I figured the other Nana would pick it up and be smart, but she went from interesting goth girl to... well... brooding. I did want to finish the series to see what happened, but if I saw her do another stupid thing I knew I would just stop again.
    *End spoiler*

I may be remembering it differently, but the best part about that series was that first ending theme.

>Raped by Batman and subsequently retard

Send that description to DC please.

Comment by yaku
    09:59 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

"I couldn't get through Nana without wanting to punch them. The gothic Nana was decent, but 'Hachiko' really just ended up pissing me off."

SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

I was always told to watch it because it was a great romantic drama, and I couldn't tolerate it for long because I wanted to punch Hachiko and to STFU she was so stupid. Definitely not the kind of girls I want as main characters and role models, what the hell.

I'll stick with my "hetero and reverse harems" thank you very much.

I do agree I'd love to see something like Historie animated.

Comment by HouseLife
    14:01 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I'm not adverse to emotional girls being main characters, but women aren't stupid by default. Emotional =/= stupid. Hachiko was an unbalanced protagonist because she was just a cluster of incidental shit happening, and her being completely oblivious and stupid about how she'd respond. If I remember correctly, she never asked anyone their advice, never had forethought as to the consequences of her actions, nor really said anything that seemed to require any synapses firing.

A main character must have the capacity to grow as a person in the face of events that happen to them, and she just didn't do it (as of episode 25-ish). She may eventually I guess, but by then I can honestly thought she could get murdered in an alleyway and my honest response after 30 episodes of her doing stupid crap would have been "Guess you shouldn't have been there, huh dumbass?"

It's a very strange day when harem anime does more for the image of women than an actual shoujo drama. I mean that's a planetary level fail.

17:22 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I shall make an account just to +1 this, indeed harem anime does portray women in a better light, an amazing paradox of genres.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:32 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually like Hachiko because she is such a flawed character. That's kind of the angle they play with her character instead of someone like Kyoko in Skip Beat who is like the super-girl tackling all the problems flying her way. In a strange way, I think it's refreshing that the main character is such a broken character. And it'd probably pay off if she gets her act together int he end.

And HouseLife, I don't think Hachiko never actually openly talking about and asking for things is all that unnatural. In fact, I think many girls do that out of social stigma or that they may seem un-adult-like for doing so. Hachiko always seeking validation in the show kind of indicates to that. She is a very scared little soul in a big city. I think it's understandable even if it may not be the 'smart' thing to do.

Comment by HouseLife
    08:19 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Shippoyasha

It's true, it's not unnatural for her to not ask for advice or insights as a flawed character. ...at first. She may have been young and in a strange scenario and that accented her flaws, but she did nothing but screw up and never had a single insight that she might ask for some help or advice or might be thinking of things the wrong way like a normal human would. At a certain point, not recognizing such problems are happening consistently is just the mark of an idiot. Eventually the character needs to stop having crap happen where she doesn't learn anything, otherwise it's like an episodic cluster of 'same shit, different day.' Then it literally does become that she brings it on herself and loses all sympathy.

She even lived and hung out with friends who could give her insights. There's flawed characters, but she was just sad to watch. And not relatable crying when stuff happens to her sad. I mean "Oh come on, you honestly didn't expect that to happen after you did that?" kind of sad. Eventually, a bubbly, nice girl acting bubbly and nice in the midst of an emotional train wreck is just eye-rollingly ridiculous. It's not just her, either. None of the other characters seemed to be aware of anything but the clothes on their backs, and everything would have gotten rolling in the right direction if they'd sincerely asked if anything was wrong.

But now that I think about it, I think they actually did, and she said "No, everything's fine" and I just threw my arms up and said "Yeah... everything's fine! Do you have a steak knife by the way? I'm going to go run a nice hot bath, and I like to take a steak knife with me!" and the others would have been like "Sure! That sounds very unique! I should try that! Is that a new beauty regiment!?"

Jokes aside, I agree with Alice's statement that it seemed to just pander to emotional women in an unbalanced way. At least in Shakespearean tragedy, the main characters are striving for something beyond themselves. Hachiko just ended up being a fool (as far as I had watched, at least).

Comment by Diemeow23
    21:21 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Nana, Was one of a fair number of shows where you'd sit nice and snuggly in your couch waiting for the character/character(depending on the viewer) to mature/make the right choice and end up. . .

AT THE END OF EACH EPISODE! BANGING YOUR HEAD THROUGH THE WALL!(my house used to have 46 1/2 holes of I remembered it correctly -_-

Comment by Firaku
    14:35 26/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@S|e|7|e|N
    Bitter Virgin was a really good example of a damaged girl. It's been too long since I read all of the manga but I remember it to be one of my best romance reads in many years.

Women are more emotional creatures than men (quite obviously) and the male lead does a lot to save her tortured soul. A beautifully executed story indeed!

Comment by S|e|7|e|N
    16:52 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

“Realistic romance” – 24.1%

^This. Anime needs so much more of this.

I like Josei and shoujo.
    I just wish there were more Seinin mangas like Bitter Virgin that can compare relationship wise with their Josei and Shoujo counterparts.
    But that's just me.

And I loved Nana. I did feel that some drama was overemphasized but it didn't deter me entirely from the series. Hachiko is a child, she always has been. She does develop at the very end of the anime but the anime itself is incomplete and leaves you hanging.

And comparatively speaking, Suzuka and Kimi no Iru Machi have characters that make much worse decisions and the drama is just... Ugh at times...

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:48 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's the thing, HouseLife. Hachiko seems to be realizing that she's on a downward spiral. That's a start at least. The thing is, she is kind of a soap-opera-esque trope with the way she seems to willingly invite the wrong company even if she knows it's the wrong thing to do. It is kind of funny how far she takes the delusion to me.

At least it's not Twilight levels of insanity...

Comment by Elcachetondelpuro
    15:44 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Saw Nana with my wife and while she enjoyed it I found it mundane

Comment by alidan
    12:10 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

i never picked up nana, i wanted to because i keep seeing crap about it in places like /u/ but than i finally got a synapses of it, and NEVER cared about it again... seriously, from what i read its like the characters are given 2 choices and EVERY fucking choice they pick the wrong one, and almost all the drama is caused by them not doing shit.

im socially retarded, but when i can think up solutions as fast as you can snap fingers and end a 10-20 chapter drama in 3-5 pages... something is fucking worng.

Comment by yaku
    16:37 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

HouseLife, amen to everything you said. I think Haruhi from Ouran Host Club is a lot better female role model, and that's coming from a comedic reverse harem. I wouldn't mind the "Nanas" if they weren't so aggravating and actually grew as you mentioned, but they don't.

It's a disappointment since Paradise Kiss was actually a great shoujo from the same author.

Comment by Alice
    14:40 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

The first ending theme was indeed the best part of that show. Olivia has such an amazing voice.

From a woman's perspective, NANA just felt like I was being pandered to. I forced myself to watch it after my female friends raving about how deep and emotional it was. By episode 30 I was depressed and started to wonder why the hell I was putting myself through it. No one in that entire series appeared to learn anything from their previous mistakes, and not one of them acted like a true adult. It was emotional mess of unlikely, worst-case-scenario outcomes that tore you apart and left you with little hope for a happy ending, if you managed to even get that far. I plays on the emotions of women far too much, and offers little perspective from the masculine side.

Granted, it has been a couple years since I watched the series, and my opinion may have been swayed by my disappointment that the show was not about music. I have no intention to go back and watch it again, so my opinion will likely not waver. NANA is far from a "realistic romance," as that implies to me that some characters, somewhere, realize what it takes to make a relationship work and demonstrate it, or at least have something resembling actual romance. But I know better than to expect that from the romance-deprived females from Japan.

03:08 21/06/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Wow..most of these top comments are intelligent discussions.......of nana, one of the worst shows ever. Fuck you Ishiharafanclub, go slurp cum. And yay for batman rape. And I'll stick with Kami Nomi.

Comment by denkikoiji
    17:05 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i like nana it was enjoyable for me i guess i am backwards than most guys ? lol

13:14 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

after that hold me in your arms...
    oh wai...

03:09 21/06/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

fuck you Ishiharafanclub, go suck a baby's cum.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    08:10 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Victorique!! fapfapfap

09:47 20/06/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

You sick fuck! I can't even imagine how one can think of Victorique as fap material.

Eating poop candy turned you on?

Comment by Minru
    09:59 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Noob, a piece of advice. Remember where you are posting before you say something like that!

Comment by alidan
    12:40 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

she is alone all day, for LONG periods of time, and who knows how long before the protagonist met her she was left alone. she lives in a silent library, so she can here when ANYONE comes close, and she is surrounded by books i will bet you arent just all fact books. and ill bet my left testical that there are romance books there.

tell me you cant imagine her passing the time by reading those books and imagining that happening to her while butterin' the muffin

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    13:53 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Thank you for the imagery.

Also, she may look like she's 10, but she's at least 15 (Kujo's age since they're in the same class). If Taiga can be fap material, so can Victorique.

16:45 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank you very much for the inspiration...

*Pulls out mechanical pencil and start sketching Victorique masturbating in her hiding cabinet.

That will be ready and finished in at least one week..

10:02 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

From her hairdress, to her emerald eyes, to her face, to her doll-like appearance, to her golden hair, to her gothloli dress, to her voice, to her bloomers, to her frills, to her 10yo height, to her pipe, and to her socks; she's an extremely perfect fap material if you ask me.

10:16 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I think KareKano was the only "romance" I actually enjoyed. Nana was kind of a joke. SPOILER: I had a lot of trouble watching after that episode where Hachiko finds out she's pregnant, because I knew that it would be just downhill depressing drama from that point.

If I want anything romance, I don't really look for anime. I'd rather watch a Jdrama or Kdrama or read a manga, because love stories don't make very good anime unless they're an aside or an afterthought, or they take place after we get to know the characters well.

I wouldn't mind some gritty historical anime though.

Comment by HouseLife
    11:57 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well you just proved my earlier post... she did yet another dumbass thing...

And yes, KareKano was actually one of the most solid ever. The ending was just an unfortunate occurrence, following the great Anime Budget sinkhole of the 90s.

Comment by Satonaka
    04:47 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you referring to the anime or the manga? I watched the entire anime but only got to like volume 18 of the manga, then it just didn't keep my interest from that point on ><

Dunno if it got better after Arima's father whips out the gun O_o

21:07 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, don't watch the last disc (5 eps?), did they coin "Gainax ending" from this show.

I mean this is fiction and all, but, what bloke throws himself down into an "am I gay funk" after their first root and with the very girl he is dead keen on?! Just piss off, suspension of disbelief has limits.

You can imagine a better ending.

At least one satisfying possibility was written in capital letters across the horizon with the play they were into where the adoption and dropping of stage personas could serve as a vehicle to confront the superficialities of their own personalities.

The seriousness of which could have been lightenned by him and her jumping each others bones with the joyous abandon of teenagers everywhere.

Plot, character development and service, why not Gainax! why not!

Comment by Imyou
    12:13 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

As a guy and an otaku, I'd love to see the stuff on this list too. A real relationship show? As opposed to another fulfillment fantasy where a random loser of no importance finds himself with a half dozen exotic women living with and fighting over him? Sign me up! Some exist, but it's got to be less than 1%.

Maybe you should go read some generic shoujo or smutty josei romances.

Comment by Imyou
    01:22 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I have. It's just trading one silly escapism for another.

Comment by TFish
    07:51 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

Women are allowed to have opinions now?

Comment by Yourtime
    08:10 20/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

didn't you update your internet?

Comment by SaltyPenguin
    13:00 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I ignore most of the updates in Windows Update so I must have missed it...

Actually they brought in another update to re-write that update.

Comment by Hyakimaru
    07:55 20/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I heard in some places they´re even allowed to vote.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    09:28 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Surely you jest.

10:11 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

no...it can't be!?!!?!!!

08:40 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The hell you say!!!

18:58 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Unfuckingbelievable!

07:45 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's a crime against humanity!!

07:57 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

yes but they have to show tits first

08:12 20/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

all for the tits and tits for all!

Comment by Surrender Monkey
    08:10 20/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Yes, and we're even allowed to have rational thoughts once in a while, except at "that" time.

Comment by yuriphoria
    14:18 20/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Allowed? I DEMAND you think rationally always, PMS be damned. It's menstruation not an aneurysm.

Comment by Elcachetondelpuro
    05:16 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well its quite obvios they think with their cunts, so...

Comment by TFish
    12:40 20/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

A woman has gained the powers of literacy...WITCH! BURN HER!

Comment by HouseLife
    12:55 20/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Get the duck!

10:08 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Pour water on her so she melts!

Comment by Satonaka
    04:45 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Grab hold of our tongues!

10:27 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you are a girl?

12:03 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There are many girls lurking around on this site.

04:11 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well. "Many" is in internet relativity.

20:37 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you women don't understand what the word 'rational' means...

03:39 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Protip: when making a joke, make sure it actually IS a joke.

14:28 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Of course they're allowed their own opinions.
    Whether they're taken seriously is another matter though.

22:45 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

hear hear XD

03:29 22/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior." -Socrates

Comment by Ota-Kool
    17:19 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

How about the House Husband's opinion on anime next?

People care what 2ch thinks now?

Not really

11:53 20/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Impossible, there are no girls on the internet

04:12 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In a legion of assholes it doesn't matter whats on the front after all~

From the kitchen, yeah...

08:01 20/06/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

Clearly trying too hard. TFish is a faggot.