Gust: “Rorona is a Loli as We Couldn’t Stand Making Her 30+”

lolirorona.jpg

Gust, the developers of the Atelier moe-RPG series, have stated that their mysterious decision to turn the protagonist of the original Kishida Mel designed game into a loli in the upcoming Atelier Meruru was because they could not bear the prospect of having her appear in her thirties…

Their comments in a recent interview:

Who came up with the idea of Rorona ending up like that? Was there opposition?

All the development team were united in thinking “we don’t want to see Rorona in her thirties.” So, we were all in agreement there.

Sorry, saying anything more will be a personal attack so I’ll have to leave it at “no comment.”

In fairness, a 30-year-old woman finding herself transformed into a loli is probably a win-win situation for all parties concerned.

atelier-meruru-002.jpg

Expect the game to be banned throughout the west.

In other remarks Gust revealed that if they cannot keep making loli Atelier games they will in fact die:

Have you decided on making the next Atelier?

If Gust doesn’t keep making Atelier games we’ll die, so I think we’d better keep making them if we want to live on!

In yet other news, it appears the next Atelier game (although it seems this is a spin-off rather than a “mothership” title) will actually be a suitably gorgeously illustrated fujoshi-oriented bishonen-centric affair – behold Atelier Elkrone:

atelier-elkrone.jpg

Comment by yaku
    22:34 18/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

You telling me Gust is making a game that has lolis plus cute girls plus bishounen and has a bishounen game on the works?? MY GOD is like they saw into my head!!!

...minus tentacles of course.

I NEED THESE GAMES.

07:36 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Minus tentacles hmmm would an octopus suffice?
    Because he's on Rorona and Totori.

Comment by Megidola
    22:58 18/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

A 30-something Rorona could be fine too, just look at Meme from Denpa Onna.

23:02 18/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

A drunken Christmas Cake Rorona-sensei is fine too...

Comment by Castian
    03:56 19/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Seconded.
    I having 27yo seeing my wife,her sister and many sorrounding women, i can easly say 30yo are still hot and desireable if they are cute/sexy.

Alas, long live the lolis!

Comment by Actar
    06:42 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's because she doesn't 'act her age'.

Comment by Indofag
    04:06 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

MILF Rorona is the best Rorona.

Comment by shiroki
    23:08 18/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I like the way they think.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    01:10 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

don’t want to see Rorona in her thirties
    Then some anti-loli anon or someone will bitch about it

Comment by Surrender Monkey
    22:53 18/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

What a beautifully rendered game! The character designs and backgrounds are absolutely fantastic. I love the Atelier series anyways and can hardly wait.

I want this now!

Comment by Shippoyasha
    22:57 18/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Pretty decent game, although very basic gameplay-wise and it is based on item synthesis.

I'm kind of disappointed with this loli business though. Not because lolis are bad, but because they lost the chance to make an endearing 30 year old character. Look at stuff like Aria anime and they could probably portray a late 20's, early 30 year olds in graceful, beautiful ways.

And I just had a laugh at the bishounen version. They're really aiming their targets with these designs. Typical Gust.

Comment by Surrender Monkey
    23:24 18/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I hadn't thought of it in that context but your right. Aria was a superb anime both visually and in it's ability to focus on the little pleasures in life through the eyes of girls like Akari all the way to "Grandma". A 30 year old heroine is definitely do-able.

Gust is probaly looking for the most return from their target buyers, hence loli's and bishounen! Maybe next time?

I have re-watch Aria again soon, thanks for reminding me!

Comment by HouseLife
    10:39 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@ Zanosuke_Kurosaki

I was considering bringing up Kiyone, because I must admit, to this day, her English voice actress actually causes my spine to shiver. And when she voiced Tsunami... I think I became narcoleptic. Her voice was sooo... hot, and sweet, and gorgeous. I entered instant relaxation mode.

I left her out because she was only a Universe character, so I opted in to adhering to purist perspective ^^ Even though I wonder how many people here are actually old enough for Tenchi...

I feel sad now...

16:40 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Milfs are usually supposed to be hot and sexy, lolis are cute and adorable. they are opposite. maybe they think a Milf that is cute is not possible.

Comment by Zanosuke_Kurosaki
    07:17 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@HouseLife "Not our fault the only sensible woman in that whole damn series was underaged! "

You forgot about Kiyone Makibi. She was damned sensible, too. She only ever showed an anger problem when Mihoshi did something stupid, and let's face it, we the audience were raging at that dumb bitch, too.

Comment by HouseLife
    06:04 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's kind of a moot point. In her thirties, she wouldn't be going "Hawawa!" she'd be more like Sasami, which, as we all remember, is the bitch who made us all age-confused in the first place -_- Not our fault the only sensible woman in that whole damn series was underaged! All the others were batshit crazy! How can Sasami exist and these people still think every child has to act the same? Look at Ui for crying out loud, she became popular because of mature countenance. Even if she is in loli form though, I want to see her acting like Astrid. It'll be adorable. If she goes back to what she was in the first one, it'll just be a waste of a potential.

I'd like to believe they aren't idiotic enough to not recognize that older women can be voluptuous and beautiful with a grace that can't be seen from a younger woman. This is a hit on Kishida Mel for me, sadly... not being able to pull that off proves a lack of skill. And also the writers if they can't make her grow as a character through the series, but I'll hold my judgment on that. I still marvel at the atmosphere though, I'll enjoy it for what it is, not what I wanted it to be.

Comment by Diemeow23
    18:25 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I have no complaints XD

But then again

03:47 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

[Having a thirty-something Rorona going “hawawa!” was something I think everyone can do without.]

But to some, isn't that a moe point? Regardless, it is doable.. I mean, you see Nanoha grow older too...

05:32 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Endearing 30 year old character? Give me a break.... I cannot think of ONE that was endearing. Annoying, yes. Endearing, no.

08:58 19/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Shizune from Naruto is rather endearing.

Nanako Amachi from Himitsu: Top Secret : The Revelation is as well.

Rin Asogi from Mnemosyne is as well. (And she's way older than 30 to boot).

Grandma Granitz from Fractale is also a nice old lady. (And again beyond the 30 mark.)

Hanabusa Seki from Nobari No Ou is pretty endearing as well, as the older sister/surrogate mom type. (And she's 40.)

And male examples would be:

Junichiro Izumida from Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo

As well as Captain Minase Daitetsu from Super Robot Wars (both season 1 and 2 and again, older than the 30 mark.)

And I've probably forgotten a ton of others. :P

Comment by KomariMax
    23:22 18/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I for one welcome our new loli overlords

Comment by Gekokujou
    09:25 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Same here, good work Gust.

Although I seriously think they could've done something to make her hot even in her 30s.

03:53 19/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I don't take issue with them keeping her a loli, but the way they answered this question is a bit offensive. 30 year olds can be attractive.

11:19 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

THIS. For fucks sakes THIS.

I mean how unprofessional and stupid can you be? Who the hell allowed that guy to have an interview when he's so stupid.

08:18 28/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the other issue will be cute vs sexy.
    previous Rorona was cute with a lot of cute eccentrics, but a 30 year old Rorona would look like a dumb adult if kept with the same personality.

Transitioning her to sexy will be a dangerous task because people may say "That's not Rorona!!!"

It's easier and safer to re-child her actually.

Comment by RaspberryKisses
    22:43 18/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

loved Atelier Rorona can't wait till NISa will translate second game!

00:38 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Totori was confirmed by NISA a couple of months ago for a 2011 release. Can't remember if they gave a specific date or not, but be prepared, Atelier Totori >>>>> Atelier Rorona

Comment by Sorrior
    23:43 18/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed I just hope they DO translate. Remember they even altered her age in the first one so yeah kinda doubtful we'll see it. Still here's hopin.

23:10 18/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

So...legal loli?

02:14 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yay, she's even more fuckable now!

03:16 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Legal Loli. Those are two words you rarely see in a single sentence...

Comment by Tateha
    23:00 18/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

couldn't bear Rorona in in thirties?

works for me.

03:23 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I could't stand too seen rorona in 30

I wish for her loli forever

11:22 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Say this to a woman you love in the future. I'm sure it will go well.

Comment by Actar
    23:49 18/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Honestly speaking, while I don't know much about the game itself, keeping characters young is not always about making them appeal to the lolicons.

I'm of course basing my experiences regarding the aging process of characters on how I felt when they decided to age Nanoha and Fate in StrikerS.

09:06 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Let me reiterate, it's not about the actual physical age, it's the change in the personality. Also, there's nothing wrong with a 30 year old protagonist, if she gets introduced from that age and not an older version of a character we know and love."

I wouldn't mind if Henrietta, Triella and Claes from Gunslinger Girls were able to reach the age of 30.

What considering the fact that it means they actually survived the whole first gen. cyborg degeneration thingy that's currently going on.

Or would you prefer dead loli's over matured characters?

01:44 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

>"Honestly speaking, while I don't know much about the game itself, keeping characters young is not always about making them appeal to the lolicons"

From above Q&A: Q:――That Rorona has become smaller doesn't change the fact that she is my wife. However I have to consider how this looks. In regards to that, how old is the small Rorona? If it's about 9 then she can still be my wife, but if it's any less, I guess she would have to be my little sister... (One who has crossed dimensions to meet Rorona)

A:Stop making it look like a criminal offense!!! Please focus on having fun together in the world of Arland!

Gust is selling to lolicons. Beginning, middle, and end of story. There's a hardcore fetish market of a few thousand Japanese fans into lolicon, gay, gender-bend, etc. They pay big $$$, just like any fetish market. So a shrinking Japanese industry caters to them.

>"It's a pretty common conception that when people grow older, they likely lose or 'grow out of' many characteristics that fans find endearing. This change or 'maturing' of a character that fans have grown to like can put off many if not done right."

I've got great news for your.....Rorona actually isn't real!!! She's a scripted character that the developers can bring along however they please. She didn't jump out of the game and suddenly go to college, get married, and have a child.

>"Also, there's nothing wrong with a 30 year old protagonist, if she gets introduced from that age and not an older version of a character we know and love."

So....characters we know and love shouldn't get older....but they can get dramatically younger? That's OK? Look, if you're a pedo who wants to jack it to little anime girls, just say you like where Gust is going. Pedos and gays are apparently who they are catering too, so lot's of fetish fans are in luck. Just don't trot out leaky arguments to cover that fact.

07:41 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Just to add I would like to point Meitantei Conan, clearly a work aimed at shotacons that have deep cravings for... ok disregard everything I said 01:44 I'm just sad that my boyfriend left me for a younger girl.

Comment by Actar
    18:03 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Also, don't get me wrong. For me, it's not about the actual age, it's about the personality. It's just that with fiction, people usually associate a certain personality to a certain age.

16:21 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They never said they were catering to gays and lolicons.I do not know where you got gays from. They never said anything about putting gay content in the franchise, just some bishonen witch appeal to straight females and this is not a fan service or erotic game so you can "jack it to little anime girls" so saying it appeals to people that want to do such things is inaccurate. Just because it has a loli does not mean it appeals to such people.

Comment by kazaza2
    22:59 18/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm sure the GameSpot critics are already honing the hatchets.

Assholes.

08:11 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This game doesn't stand a chance against F.E.A.R 3,Crysis 2,Modern Warfare 3,and of course the Elder Scrolls V Skyrim.You lolicon morons!

08:23 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes we like you too.
    Please search immidiate help.

17:51 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This game doesn't stand a chance against Generic Bald Space Marines First Person Shooters,and of course all those Generic Medieval RPG that looks the same and stupid shallow stories.You lolicon morons!
    Of course this is due to the fact that one of my dreams is to be penetrated by a muscular bald space marine. I love seeing their asses wiggling in my 120" flatscreen while I jerk off.

08:49 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Please come to the US please please D:

Comment by Imyou
    05:08 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So with such deep ageism in Japan... do most otaku just kill themselves when they reach 30? I mean, the message is loud and clear that you suck once you're out of your 20s, and if you're not a lolicon, then there's only a few things targeted at you.

I'm not saying ban the lolis, lolicon is evil, etc. I'm just saying that you're basically dead to the culture at that age. It's like Logan's Run.

11:21 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah it's fucked up to devalue people like that. And it's like no matter how young the person looks they still treat them like trash in their 30s.

04:04 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Just let them already, they getting tired of their ideas always, always, getting constantly changed because the higher, especially in the case of localized games always telling them to change their stuff and original ideas. I can understand that much.

03:58 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hell No! This is disgusting! *fap fap fap fap* Why does Japan have to turn everything into pedo shit! *fap fap fap fap* They need to ban this sick shit outright! *fap fap fap fap* *splat* I'm so offended by this I don't know what the fuck.

05:14 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If Elkrone comes to america, being a fujoshi, I'll check it out.
    Art for all the games is really nice!

06:36 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Atelier Elkrone = FAILED PROJECT