Nintendo Announces “Wii U”

wii-u-general-5

wi-u-3

Nintendo has announced the successor to the Wii, dubbed the “Wii U” and due in 2012 – this time the gimmick is a large screen in the controller, together with some much upgraded hardware.

wii-u-general-1
wii-u-general-2
wii-u-general-3
wii-u-general-4
wii-u-general-5
wii-u-general-6
wii-u-general-7
wii-u-general-8
wii-u-general-9

The huge new controller has a variety of applications – it can be played as an oversized console tethered handheld, used as a normal controller with the screen providing a supplementary display, waved around as an oversized Wiimote, used as a tablet with a stylus or finger, or be employed in conjunction with (or replaced by) updated traditional Wiimotes.

wii-u-controller-1
wii-u-controller-2
wii-u-controller-3
wii-u-controller-4
wii-u-controller-5
wii-u-controller-6
wii-u-controller-7

The trailers:

Its spec in detail:

The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world.

The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic ControllerTM, Classic Controller ProTM and Wii Balance Board™.

The ungainliness of the new controller has already provoked some scepticism amongst Japanese observers…

wi-u-5
wi-u-1
wi-u-2
wi-u-4

Aside from the controller, Nintendo is describing the graphics as “HD” (“Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i”) presumably meaning they will at least be on par with the PS3 or Xbox 360 (game preview imagery being what it is, comparisons at this stage are likely premature). Details on its exact specs are lacking.

wi-u-3

Media is provided by a new 12cm proprietary disc format, with the console capable of reading Wii discs as well. SD memory cards and USB hard-disks are supported.

Nintendo fans have already put their minds to the possibilities this offers:

wii-u-plus

• Anonymous says:

I’m not so worried about the size, because these things are going to be sitting in my living room, not being carried around with me all day like the PSP or the DS. I think it’s perfectly manageable, especially when you consider there are other options if you’re in a 1P situation where you are holding the (possibly heavy) controller constantly. I like the idea, but now I’m worried how much this new controller will cost. Screens ain’t cheap, you know…

• Anonymous says:

Please NO. Only one tablet per console? Please Nintendo, please don’t do what this crazy man says, we need FOUR. Anything below that will render the re-acquisition of real 4 player coop games undoable. I’m thinking “Four Swords Adventures” for the Gamecube here.

• Anonymous says:

why are the prices in the USA so low? Are americans that poor? Europe and Japan pay much more. For example if the price would be 299$ in the US it would be 299€=437$ in europe and 29.980¥=375$ in Japan >_>

• gpturismo says:

Because US = no tariffs. It helps our bottom line but then we wonder why we are in dept… that with the rich being taxed at a much lower rate than the middle class and even the poor.

With that type of controller? I could see it costing 100 dollars by itself, so I see 300 dollars.

• first off, japan and other countries constantly get fucked by prices, its not really a surprised that america gets it cheaper when you look at that trend.

second the controller is probably sub 70$
          the cheapest part of a smartphone/tablet is the screen, nintendo is also using the cheapest kind of touch screen too. screen alone is 20-30$ and the rest of the controller is negligible. it will cost about what a wiimote and numchuk cost

the rest of the console is about 360-ps3 specs, in terms of cheapness, so going to 300$ depending on how cheap that controller is to make, isn’t hard to see happening.

and third, we are in debt mainly because government pisses money in our faces. 300+ for a plunger, 20 million to advertise the new 20$ bill (when that happened) and in wisconsin specifically, 4-20 million to repair damages from protesters (remove tape residue from walls)

if government worked right, like not spend 1-2 trillion a year on military (how much of that is obceane amounts of research) and other such bullshit, we wouldnt have debt in about 5-10 years.

• Anonymous says:

^No its not. It’s doing bad in terms of sales, site your source.

Lol. It’s probably around $350-$400 just because of the controller.

The reason for the weird prices is because it doesn’t matter to them the conversion, for example if a minimum wage in the US is about $7.5 USD and in Europe is 7euros it doesn’t really matter, they’re just making more money. And it’ll probly be region locked.

The controller is just begging to get hacked along with the Wii-u to be able to play every nintendo console made before it. Then again rumor has it nintendo does this on purpose.

@15:18

Do you have any idea what you’re talking about? The 3DS is outpacing the DS in terms of sales. Derp.

It’s only in Japan that it’s not doing as well as other countries.

• nice – a pad for games,… but will it also have the same capabilities of a pad?

Users that use it will eventually want to do real life stuff on it. As well as get their gaming fix in between.

[size=1]Ungainlieness – does not compute,… Given that it is more ergonomically friendly,… translates to less liability for personal injury through excessive useage[/size]

• Anonymous says:

Well, think about this: it’s better to play with a right-handed controller that you get “free”, than buying a special left-handed controller that will likely cost $50-$70 more than a right-handed one, because less people will be buying it, and will likely be more difficult to produce.
      The only issue I’ve seen is the position of the analog sticks, because they’re almost always under the d-pad and the command buttons. I think they’ll be harder to reach, as the controller is really huge. I hope that they change it.

• Anonymous says:

Love how Link in Zelda was usually left handed, and on the Wii he was made right-handed. So much about left handers ;D. Still very playable, this doesnt kill anything for left handers imo.

• Anonymous says:

Like the fansubbers say: from fans, for fans.

Im not a Nintendo fanboy so I see this new console like THE dissapointment of the E3. The big N is going too far with his “we are innovative” thing IMO

• People need to stop talking about units sold. It’s only a good measure for items that have a similar price point. The Wii cost 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost of the Xbox 360 and PS3 at launch so of course it sold more. Average consumers (parents buying shit for their kids) think with their wallet first. You should measure how much of the target demographic owns your item as opposed to volume sold.

derp

If you had the cognitive ability beyond that of buzzword spouting sheep, you’d know that the term gimmick does not carry a negative connotation. In fact, these gimmicks are what are keeping the industry from stagnating.

• Anonymous says:

Zelda tech demo was alluring though. I felt the suspense from how the 2 screens worked so well.

Top screen = Cinematic gameplay video.
      Bottom screen = You playing the game with the hud on.

Problem with this No.1:
      Sight adjustment problem. Your looking at 2 screens where 1 is very near in front of you and the other is very far away. Nausea could become a major problem here.

Problem with this No.2:
      I want to look at the TV when I play, not the controller at all times. And as an “Action” game, I cannot let my concentration to break by looking back and forth between TV and controller.

• They are going to incorporate the 3DS with the new console. One of the big things mentioned was how the new Super Smash bros game for 3DS and WiiU will work together between the systems.

Also, would you rather buy a console with a huge prince-insluded controller, or a console with a $250 controller?

• RopeXPantsu says:

I’m not convinced by the concept of that controller. But I felt the same about the Wii when I first heard about it, and it worked quite well in the end. I like that Nintendo tries out new ideas.

• Anonymous says:

This post makes me very happy. We haven’t had a retarded game console thread in a long time.

Now if we could just have some China bashing, and a gallery of naked girl pictures, we could hold back the cancer killing Sancom for a while longer.

• gpturismo says:

Well, since the controller has similar hardware as 200+ dollar tablets and the fact Nintendo hates selling systems for a loss, there is no telling how much this thing will cost. I definitely don’t like the idea of 100 dollar controllers, but they will push you to buy four for certain games (like Smash Brothers) to make money.

Well.
    I’m not impressed. Really if you think about it, the PSP Vita has the exactly same functions as this remote, so for Sony it’ll only be a firmware update for that one to bring the same result.
    Also what about the price of that remote, at the first look, it’ll be rather expensive for remote.

• Did anybody else find suspicious that they didn’t show the console at the conference, just the controller?
    I think they showed it because they didn’t have anything else to show (not even real games, just a few pre-rendered videos).

• Anonymous says:

I don’t have anything against the idea and the game lineup looks great. It’s the execution I’m worried about…

How long is it going to take to transfer the game to the WiiU (for example if someone wants to watch TV). Will it lag? How far away from the Wii can I go?

I mean, I thought everyone had learned their lesson not to trust the promotional videos of new consoles.
    (especially after Kinect)

• Anonymous says:

tablets should be used by artists. As phones and gaming tools, in my opinion, theyre very gimmicy and stupid. Well, Ill wait and see… I ended up not hating the wii although a quarter of the games i enjoyed on it were ports of ps2 games… and for 85% if them, the motion stuff added nothing of value.

• its funny how almost no third-party games and very few first-party games actually used the gba-system link. i guess programmers dont want to program things for multiple games in case anyone happened to buy both of them…
      but if no more pausing to open menus, then im game

• GREAT! Finally cross-eyed people will get to use both their eyes while playing games! Of course, now not only will you move your body while playing games but you’ll also get nice muscles with the new hi-tech 2 pound controller! All of this will cost you only US$ 2500(tax included)!!!

Virtual boy 2?

• Anonymous says:

I’m having that, “what the heck is this” reaction I had towards the Wii’s controls. I don’t know, it doesn’t really bother me. The only thing that would really bother me is if that pad needed batteries. Wireless is nice but only if the batteries are rechargeable.

• Anonymous says:

“Nintendo stocks sharply dropped in the Osaka trading on investors doubting Iwata ability to revive sales for the Kyoto based game maker”. Got this from Bloomberg.

I saw it unveiling in an E3 live stream. In my opinion, it has potential to return as a challenger to Sony and Microsoft. But there are a lot of questions in Nintendo’s strategy to return to profitability.

Did anyone see that Halo:CE HD remake? Have anyone played the original game? That’s exactly what I’ve been hoping for Nintendo to do with Ocarina of Time.

Now lets hope this early entry wont hurt it much in the future.

As for me, just give me an F-zero game. That’s the very reason I disposed of my Wii after a few months.

• Anonymous says:

“Gimmick” is a word that can be used in a lot of ways. What’s nice, is that they’re not abandoning past ideas, and would appear to be making a new, more powerful, backwards compadible machine that will take everything of the Wii and build on it with many other popular ideas and products, such as the tablet pc. This which new “controller” or peripheral, is essentially a Nintendo version of the iPad. This is essentially Nintendo’s plan with this generation, to continually try to push new and more and hopefully peripherals somehow. And it’s not a bad idea, there’s no reason to give Nintendo so much flack for it. Just like the Wiimote, they’ve shown a lot of possible interesting uses for this.

• Anonymous says:

Ehem, you can’t edit your posts as anonymous. Allow me to repost and make that more readable.

• Anonymous says:

and yet here you are hoping for another potential otaku game. Take note people, if artefact fails to see any otaku-related for this, he is definitely gonna bash this one again in the future.

• Anonymous says:

I hoshi have a simple rule of thumb when it comes to new consoles, wait for 5 good games to come out. if they cant at least do 5 its not worth the platime related to the cost. especially when im too poor to afford games and end up still hunting down old titles to play.

so if nintendo can do 5 games, and this new …”thing” be as adaptable as the wii remote. hopefully its more like a master controller. wich you can like push buttons when its set to the side with one handed action on a wii remote. cause, If I could do the gaming concepts of how a metriod game should play with this. and bring back team ninja! I can see potional. but if its this either or crap. and they could have done the same with just spec teching the 3ds controller. i might get pissed. better yet how will this connect to that i wonder….

• Anonymous says:

You can go sodomise yourself if you’re just gonna use the argument “the PS3/xbox has good games”

it’s a just announced console. We’re talking about the ideas behind it rather than what games you think it might not have.

• Anonymous says:

You notice that this will be like the GBA x gamecube thing again

wii u x wii and pokemon will have a couple of games just for it now, and final fantasy may throw in another crystal chronicles in it now

• If the spec is “only” equal to the PS3 and XBox, then I can see it is going to be a harsh competition as this would just then basically become PS3 with a secnd screen and Nintendo exclusive titles. (and Sony still hasn’t even announce their next gen console yet. Nintendo might get the short end of the stick this generation around (for home console only, still too early to determine handheld outcome)

• Anonymous says:

Now that all consoles will be doing HD graphics, I hope everyone – EVERYONE – stops talking about how one console does graphics “better” than another. The only thing that has ever mattered visually is aesthetics.

An example: The original Silent Hill has terrible graphics, but you will find no one that says it has a terrible aesthetic (quite the opposite I would say). And to this day it remains a classic in the horror gaming genre because of the aesthetic it pioneered.

Meanwhile, the newest Medal of Honor, Haze, Crackdown 2, and most grizzled space marine game for the last 5 years has had great graphics but have been the sworn enemy of good aesthetics.

I think too many people confused the latter with the former so this meaningless argument over graphics has been exploited as a useless marketing word for companies hoping they won’t realize this.

Regardless I’m happy Nintendo joins HD. Now the argument over hardware power will end, and nobody will have an excuse when their game is condemned as shit.

• Anonymous says:

xbox users have always said xbox has greater graphics even though it has worse specs. just because wii u is going to have better specs, doesn’t mean people will stop shouting

• Anonymous says:

xbox worse specs comparing to what ? Ps3 ? Ekhmmmm … lol . Dont say Uncharted … its only a good art direction nothing to do with the power of a console … Developers know better than some shitty fanboys tha dont know how the graphics are builded on their hardware …

• Anonymous says:

The end to argument over graphics? You don’t know sony fanboys and graphic whores do you?

Now they’ll complain that Nintendo “did” upgrade the graphics and going HD. Just go to Gamefaqs Sony Forum. It’s a never ending hatefest in there. Plenty of “Sources from Sankaku” post as well in the Sony Forums surprisingly.

• Anonymous says:

You know what’s also funny?

There are hundreds of posts in the PS3 Forums bashing the demo’s shown, yet fail to realize it’s demo’s from the PS3/360/PC…dumbass fanboys and dumbasses lol.

• Anonymous says:

yeah, when I saw sony and microsoft fanboys complaining that the graphics on battlefield 3, assassin’s creed revelations and darksiders 2 were shit, I facepalmed. IT’S THE EXACT SAME GAME AS THE ONE ON YOUR CONSOLES.

• It certainly looks different and will likely bring a different feel to playing games; however, I’m worried that much like the Wii it will lose it’s edge and ultimately will flop due to lack luster games.

Lets face it, it doesn’t have very many big time games that go to it. I mean it has Mario and Zelda… both very good titles; however, neither of them have released one of exceptional quality in a while… then again most remakes/continuations never end up as good as the originals… That and games these days are getting too easy…

• Anonymous says:

*Looks at Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy 2*. *Sees that they’re almost both unanimously praised as the heights of the series*

/hasnoideaofwhatyou’retalkingabout

• Anonymous says:

The 7th gen will prob do away with controllers altogether. Instead, you’ll be wirelessly transmitting commands directly to the game console without you having to lift a finger yourself…

• Anonymous says:

So people who suck at games can finally sound like the “the game isn’t doing what I want!” excuse is actually reasonable?

Also, NO MORE MOVEMENTS!! ENTER THE LAZINESS!!

• Anonymous says:

I think the new controller just adds to the options :
    Your games don’t have to rely on those shitty menues/lifebar/shortcutbars anymore because you can do everything from the controller now(like using items without pausing the game to open your menu/bag/etc.).Another point is that some games that include treasure hunting or whatever(like dragon quest) can use the screen to display the map while walking around.The best thing is that you still can use the old wii-motes, so sport games don’t have to suffer from the new controller.Mainly,this the possibilities for gamecreators are increased as well as the amount of objects that have to fill the screen could decrease to 0, that’s way better than having a higher resolution because you can actually use the whole screen for the game now and just put the info onto the controller. I’m just hoping that some awesome games will come out(like a multiplayer DQ or maybe a Golden Sun Game *_*(lechz)or maybe even another RPG or a cool multiplayer game with Yoshi/Kirby/Link/other nintendo characters because I’m still missing those for the Wii(the wii didn’t have enough multiplayer games although it was a multiplayer console <_<).

• Anonymous says:

Except that the system also features a function to shove the entire game screen on that little controller. It’s a cat6ch 22. By adding that hand-held view feature, they lure in parents who want to take back their TVs while the kids keep playing, but at the same time it makes it as useless as the Dreamcast VMU since no developer can assume it will be usable screen real estate all the time.

Consider me disappointed Nintendo didn’t man up and make a decent wireless controller for the older fans this time. I don’t want to plug a Wii Classic Pro to the updated Wiimote just to have a non-gigantic controller.

• With a DS slapped right onto your controller, I wonder what the price of the whole system will come to. And then there’s the fact that you’ll be waving a 5-pound digital device around in the air… My wrists and my wallet hurt already.

• Pyrolight says:

Lets see the problems with the Wii

1. Not HD
    2. Didn’t get enough developer support (see 1.) so the games were so so.

Sold an ass ton of units.

Wii U

1. HD and has an ass ton of developer support already.
    2. Ps4 and X-box whatever a LOOOONG way away.

Geez I wonder if it will do well…

Sancom front page, the second home of /b/

• Anonymous says:

It probably is barely pushing the bandwidth to show the display on one screen without lag. The fact that they refused to discuss specs for just about everything makes me suspicious that the system is running at its limits already just doing those tech demos to a single controller.

• lol, this Wii U will have graphics slightly better than XBox 360 and PS3 as Wii have graphics slightly better than PS2. If this looks good, I can’t wait to see what surprises MS and Sony have on their sleeves.

• Anonymous says:

Anybody can tell me what’s the point of that handheld thing? If I want to play games in my living room then all my eyes care about should be the huge ass TV screen, not that attached screen, is it? If so, then what’s the point? It’s like Nintendo wanna force me to buy a fucking handheld for no reason there… Then again, the DS is useless as fuck with its 2nd screen so to speak. I really hate Nintendo’s obsession with motion play this gen, I don’t know about others but I keep using the classic controller ever since I bought the damn Wii…

Whatever, the graphics do seem to improve and if their games are good this time around, then I guess I will eventually buy it and not give a damn about that stupid handheld thing…

• Anonymous says:

That screen is upgrade fodder for parents to take the TV back from their kid. And because it does the screen mirroring, no developer will be able to put anything required to play on that screen. AKA, it’s a useless gimmick.

• Anonymous says:

They’ve already confirmed that you can use a classic controller instead of the tablet-beast. I’m going to be optimistic and say that means you can choose to play games with menus of the controller OR as a separate in-game screen. This would confirm it as a needless gimmick, but I’m buying this for the HD first-party titles anyway.

• Anonymous says:

@19:00 The point I was making is that the screen mirroring feature completely negates a developer’s ability to put game critical functions on the bottom screen, because at any time Mom could tell her son to switch it to the small screen and turn on Opera instead. So either you have a broken game once it’s on the handheld, or you have junk you can pull up on-screen anyway like a map or stat counters that can go away safely, but are otherwise useless. Guess which route the developer is going to take. It’s a huge gimmick.

• Anonymous says:

Of course not, but are YOU dumb?

Because if the controller can effectively mirror what would be happening on the TV, then there’s no need for a second screen at all. Either make ’em switch on the TV (disabling the need to have the controller’s screen) or make ’em switch on the controller (making this a huge fucking handheld console).

Plus…

If I’m playing on a console plugged on my TV, I want to focus on the TV the whole time, especially on action games that REQUIRE ME to focus on what’s going on. If I have to shift my attention to the controller every once in a while to do stuff like use inventory items or change weapons or whatever, I’m going to get my ass kicked eventually because I wasn’t looking when I was supposed to. If that’s gonna happen, isn’t it better to pause the game to open the menu?

• I don’t really get it.
    Its a controller that you look at, and sweep your fingers across the screen on, and shake or otherwise manipulate while trying to also pay attention to what’s happening on the TV.
    It just seems like too much interaction. Maybe it will make sense when I’ve got my hands on one, but right now it just seems like sensory overload.
    …and that controller can’t possibly be cheap.

• Worried about making your wrists ache from the weight?

Remeber when the controllers weighed like a pound +vibrated like hell and you couldn’t even take them to the bathroom with you during the button tapping event?

• It seems to me like they felt pressured to come up with some kind of new “innovation.” So this is the result, and it’s underwhelming to say the least. It looks uncomfortable to use and is probably really bad for motion controlling. The display is mostly a gimmick.

But the console will be getting “hardcore” games! You know, the same ones you can already play on the 360, PS3 or PC with much better controllers. Whee.

• Anonymous says:

Nicely done withthe tinge of negativity there Artefact. Not that I expected less from a site that is Pro Sony really. Scepticism isn’t surprisng really however for any new console.

Any console or handheld to me that gets a big uprgade itself is positive news. Already wanting a Vita.

You Sony Fanboys really are retarded…You guys completely overshadow Nintendo and Microsoft and even Apple Fanboys in the dumbass remarks department.

1.Sony Fanboy: “Nintendo Wii is shit, no good graphics! No HD. It won’t sell!”

-Nintendo finally makes HD console and impoved graphics

Sony Fanboy Returns: “LOL Nintendo bragging about HD and improved graphics! Yet the Wii sold millions. Hypocrites!! Stick to carppy graphics!!”

2.Sony Fanboy: “WTF?! Nintendo Wii can’t even handle games like Assassin Creed. No H4RDC043 Games to be played!!! DO NOT WANT!!”

-Nintendo finally makes a console that can play such games from 3rd parties

Sony Fanboy Returns: “Who da fuck would buy this and play such games if they were made on Nintendo?! Don’t give a shit about it. Still DO NOT WANT and nobody will!!”

Really?…

• Anonymous says:

Uuuh, you’re missing the part that those statements probably all came from different people, so opinions can vary…? Don’t treat “Sony Fanboy” as a single person, dumbass…

Now for some facts:

First, the controller looks dumb as hell. A huge controller with a screen? It’s like a Game Gear, for cryin’ out loud… And before you say “oh but the Game Gear wasn’t a touchpad you retard!!1one”, shut up. It still looks like one. That thing better be light and well-balanced, because you’ll be holding it with just one hand a good part of the time to use the touchpad, and if it’s not AMAZINGLY light, something that big will NOT be comfortable. So excuse me while I continue being skeptic about this.

Second, Remote Play is not a new thing, so this is barely innovation. I find it sad that Nintendo is just following their competition (Sony/Microsoft) instead of trying to get ahead in technology. I mean, the Wii was disappointing enough when it turned out that the “amazing graphics” they announced were not up-do-date with the current technology, but just “better than the Gamecube”. Which is unforgivable… The Wii sold millions and survived on gimmicks alone, not on GOOD games (which were half a dozen, at best). I was certainly expecting more from their “extensive research for a Wii successor” than simply “hey guys, let’s recycle technology that Sony has been using for years and make it look like a huge DS!”. Truly sad.

And finally, with Sony and Microsoft already working on their consoles’ successors, Nintendo coming up with something at this level and at this time sounds like a really bad move. They should’ve either developed the Wii-U with capabilities superior to those of the PS3/360 (and finally manage to surpass their competition), OR keep researching and release it at the same time as their competition so that sales get evenly divided, stealing their thunder.

I’m not a marketing or sales expert, but Nintendo is fucking up a lot as far as home console systems go… I’ll stick with my PS3 and DSi XL.

• Anonymous says:

1) you can use any of the other controllers if your wrists are too diseased and feeble to hold this one
        2)Nintendo is ahead of the competition, which is why practically all microsoft and sony talked about with regards to their home consoles is kinect and move.
        3)The Wii-U is VASTLY superior in processing power, graphics, DRAM and number of cores to the PS3 and 360, and outputs in 1080p during games while the PS3 only outputs in 1080 when playing a blu-ray movie.

• Anonymous says:

…Dude do you have a reading comprehension problem? Where on earth did I say “Only” Sony Fanboys? I admit I chose Sony Fanboys due to the fact that Sony Fanboys are the loudest here. If you’re not a fanboy you wouldn’t be bothered by it anyway.

When did I say anything about innovation? How did you even come to an assumption I said anything close to that? You’re either trying to troll me or you completely missed a number of videos and reviews about the controller itself in regards to the comfortablity and weight. By majority it has been positive. Feel free to be a sceptic. Nothing wrong with that, but do keep in mind that people have already had their hands on it and have positive feedback about weight or comfortability. Personally I have no idea. I’ve not had my hand on it.

Again where did I mention Remote Play being new? Look I won’t deny that what Nintendo did with this is mainly catch up and surpass the PS3 and 360 in terms of power though not by a landslide. Sony itself has on numerous occasion copied Nintendo’s “gimmicks” (I know Nintendo has also done similar in the past, if not rehash and upgrade). Where are they now? Not dead that’s for sure, but how can they be? Sony and Microsoft incomes come from their other creations that’s not a game console. Consoles will continue to play catch up or monkey, see monkey do. It’s how they drive competition, innovation and to seek improvement. Honestly…that’s how a real business is.

In regards to whether this was a smart move by Nintendo or not. It’s up in the air. But let me ask; how much more can Sony or Microsoft improve upon a Wii U? Realistic graphics are nice, but what point is there if say I play games that are cartoony/anime or cell shaded? Other than smoothing it out and making it look better I can’t see how better graphics means better games. At most they will increase storage size, add more files that can be playable in media format, increase power and find other “gimmicky” functions to use. I’m sure there’s more, but how much will it improve the overall gameplay or use of the machine from what we have now? How long will it be till it just flat out becomes a PC? I seriously don’t think that they’re willing to make a console cost more than £450 on retail. Last thing I want is another PC is all.

I’m no marketing genius either, but if I made profits. I know I’ve done something right in being a business.

• Anonymous says:

YA KNOW, when i see the controler i said ” lol, this is somekind of psp…” and after the WII U annoucement i started to think…

Wii U = PS3 + PSV + software update?
    i realy think sony will copy this one for sure…

• Anonymous says:

Come on Japan, get back to the gaming market. Stop with all the Mario, Final Fantasy, Sonic, and Metal Gear. It’s not the 80’s anymore, come up with something new for Christ’s sake. These are all great franchises but it’s time to move on.

If Japan want’s to save their gaming market, stop rehashing the exact same crap over and over and over and over and over again. Final Fantasy 14, really? And now, finally the long awaited Wii-HD! WOOHOO! Exactly the same but now with decent graphics and a big-ass screen in your controller!

Make something new and stop with all the cheap novelty crap. Come up with a new franchise. A new character. Something! Please Japan get in the game.

• I know what they’re gonna show at the E3 next year:
      – Super Mario Universe
      – Metroid Parsec
      – The Legend of Zelda: Flute of Wind
      – Wii Fit Extra Plus Workout

And for the E3 2013:
      – Super Mario Universe Wii U (in HD)
      – The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (finally)
      – The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3Ds
      – The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past 3Ds
      – Super Mario Kart: Bike’s Edition
      – Pokémon Grey

It’s always the same with Nintendo, I know those are great franchises and I like them, but they have to renew themselves. That’s why they lost me and so many other gamers, I’m tired of playing with the same characters and the same story over and over again. I have grown up and the typical “the princess was kidnapped, go rescue her!” story is not enough for me anymore.
      Hardcore gamers don’t want gimmicks, they wanna play games with great graphics, soundtracks and deep, immersive plots. Nintendo said that they “want to get the hardcore gamers back” and I don’t think they’re achieving it; of course, getting the support of 3rd parties is a start, but gimmicking everything (motion controller, touch screen, 3D, pieces of plastic in the shape of a steerwheel, a gun, etc.) is not the way of doing it. That’s my opinion.

• Anonymous says:

Except nintendo’s sales are in the toilet and they have decline about 60% in the last 10 years.

The only people who like they’re games are the older, nostalgic gamers and kids.

• Agreed. I still don’t have two pairs of independently facing eyes yet, so I still don’t need two always-on screens yet. Even in awesome games like TWEWY, the worst part is trying to play with 2 screens at once.

I guess if it’s like DS/3DS, this will give them a place to put buttons like “menu” and “camera mode” so instead of pressing a button, you’ll have to stop playing, look down, find the soft button, press it, and hope you weren’t killed.

• Anonymous says:

This is a nice change from the usual consoles upgrades Sony provides once in a while.. Same shit but with more processing power!.. No, fuck you sony, I got a PC for that. At least Nintendo is trying new stuff.

• Yep… Millions bought Wiis, and while the non-gamers have forgotten about them, among gamers they’re synonymous with high performance dust collectors because the experience just isn’t as compelling or tightly controlled as on a 360 or PS3. Of course the others will play with motion controls – it’s not catching up, it’s experimenting, as that’s clearly not the main way they’re going from now on.

Also, Sony has their touch pad controller ready now – it’s $250 and they call it the Vita. It’s just a standalone system like the 3DS as well. I’m hoping this isn’t the new way for either Nintendo or Sony, personally.

• Third Party Developers are now interested in making games on the WiiU.The Wii had top selling console worldwide but the only games that was top selling for Wii was there own titles which was Mario Galaxy 2,Wii Sports Resort,Mario Kart Wii and other Nintendo titles.

The fact is that a few Third Party developers avoided Nintendo because only a few of the third party didn’t sell well on the Wii system.

• At this point if it wasn’t HD ready they’d never live it down. It was laughable last time. If the Wii U is to be thought of as part of the next console cycle, then it’s catching up to a generation ago… at least in resolution.

@Imyou

I’m facepalming at that comment.

Nintendo didn’t bother with the resolution at the Wii and people laughed at the remote.
          Yet it sold more than either Xbox360 and PS3.

Now, sony and microsoft are copying the interactive ways of playing that Wii used. Meaning sony and microsoft are catching up to Nintendo in terms of in interactive ways of playing games. And let’s face it, they’re not having a big success on that…

Suddenly, Nintendo gains HD and another innovative way of playing games. It might have caught up on the resolution, but it’s still one step ahead on ways of playing.

In two years, sony and microsoft might have their touch pad controllers ready, assuming they don’t go “Screw that, HARDWARE UPPGRADE!” and then notice Nintendo’s success, before copying them.

@14:51
          I find it funny how despite how a can of Coka-Cola didn’t have HD games, it still sold more than the Wii…

Idiots compare sold volumes of entirely different products. Wii is a quick and cheap arcade thrill, XBOX is just a piece of crap and PS3 is a console. See the difference?

@ 12:49

You can play Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, Metroid and Donkey Kong on another console?

News to me.

You know, it’s funny. The Wii has the same ratio of good games to bad games as the PS2 (no, shut the fuck up, people don’t look for them before they mindlessly shout LAWLSHOVELWAREDERP), yet people always seem to to single out Nintendo for it.

But last generation, where the PS2 was the Wii of that generation, it was okay back then.

People need to get Sony’s cock out of their mouths. Seriously.

• Anonymous says:

GASP! You mean…. I can play Zelda… AGAIN?!

I can’t WAIT for that INVENTORY IN MY HANDS!

I can’t wait! I have to practice using the inventory NOW!

*turns on Twilight Princess, presses start*

No…. WAY!

• Anonymous says:

I’m pretty sure the reason they had to mention that it is HD ready is so idiots don’t assume it isn’t HD. BTW, this thing outputs in 1080p, PS3 and 360 are in 720p except when playing blue-ray movies.