• Em, the problem is not the 3D, but the downgrade of the graphics of the game from last year to the current graphics of MGS 3DS. The better looking MGS 3DS demo from last year did run on an actual 3DS hardware, so there’s no reason the graphics looks sub PS2-ish. The real problem is Konami who skimps on the 3DS version, and announced the PS3 and Xbox360 HD remakes of MGS including MGS 3.

• Anonymous says:

BSOD never occurs on XP unless you can’t use a PC in which case you spend a fortune on a mac that will be obsolete after 3 years since purchase and then all you have left is going around and bragging that you can’t get viruses and have no BSOD, because you can’t do anything else on a machine incapable of running anything other than expensive Mac-ready programs and shitty Windows emulators.

“Mac has better performance than PC” arguments are invalid, once you have to use an emulator to run a program, the performance drops to very low levels and you suck penis anyway because you’re dumb enough to buy something three times more expensive than a PC with better components than your smelly mac, and you can then buy new components for your PC to keep it up-to-date cheaper than having to pay another fortune for a new mac or having to pay apple ‘technicians’ to remove some screws and stick a new card in. Try to do it yourself and your warranty is fucking void, “go suck a dick, we don’t care that you paid us three thousand dollars” is what you’ll hear from apple workers. Fuck, you can’t even clean the dust from the inside, you just wait for your mac to spontaneously combust unless you’re willing to pay technicians half a fortune to clean it.

After buying an apple product, you end up looking like a posh dumbass who can’t make intelligent decisions when it comes to buying things. And you probably would end up lost in Walmart if you had the chance, because it’s bigger than your overpriced crap-filled mac shop and there’s noone to lead you out of there by hand unless you decide to play mentally disabled, which can be avoided, just approach a security officer and say “I own a macintosh computer” and they’ll know that you have three brain tumors, herpes and eyelid cancer and will promptly help you get out of the store to never let you in again.

I have no fucking idea why I ended up rambling about macs. Please forgive me.

• Anonymous says:

Running games well these days… with last year’s budget graphics card.
          The second-generation core i#/Sandy Bridge iMacs have a re-labelled desktop 5850 as their most powerful graphics option.
          Compare this to the monstrous 2560×1440 resolution that the 27″ iMac has… and well, you’re going to be stuck playing at some upscaled low-res like a console gamer.

I do agree though, Macs do not need emulators to run PC programs – you just need a retail copy of Windows.

The OS is acceptable, but it took far longer for 64 bit versions of Adobe’s creative suite because good old Steve-o messed with the development of the Carbon 64 API.

Nowadays there is a 64 bit version for Macs, but back then, anyone who said “I bought a Mac because it’s better for Photoshop.” would get a smirk followed by full out uncontrollable laughter from me. The only part that consistently makes Macs more accepted for graphics work is their high quality panels- and you can get those for your PC (PC doesn’t mean windows. Most of the -serious- work goes down with a linux box and a windows box next to each other.)

• Anonymous says:

Above annon is pure biased fanboy crap. I use both any both are fine. If you get BSOD [and/or can’t fix it] you don’t know how to use your computer for shit; if you customize it. Mac is fine if your gonna do pretty much a basic thing and wan’t better battery life (laptop-wise). Otherwise if it’s a tower or anything else I’d rather go with PC. And most piece of shit that manufacturers make like HP and Dell are worthless; mainly their laptops.

• Anonymous says:

agree Mac is overprice, but not the way annon above puts it. That is some pretty uninformed bias bullcrap.

But mac isn’t better because: it no longer runs it’s own hardware. It’s intel cpu and nvidia gfx card. And that’s ever since OSx. Technically,u can say the only difference is the OS.

OSx itself isn’t free of bug. instead of BSOD, u get Rainbow of death. Which is even MORE annoying cuz it just hangs there and doesn’t tell u what the error is.

now with that, the extra money is going to the case and design. And for that, Alienware and other case designs offers better options in the same price range.

then there’s the “color’s more accurate on Mac” thing. Which, 1 if u rn’t gonna print anything with color often, the accuracy from screen to print is pointless. And that can also be done on a PC with a color calibration software.IF u do all that on the PC with similar performance, it’s still not as pricy as a mac. And if u custom build one the warranty on a custom PC r by the parts u bought, not the whole thing.

• Actually, Macs don’t need emulators to run PC programs. In my experience, they’re quite capable hardware-wise of running games well these days, and the hardware will last at least 3 years. The software on the other hand, when a new version of MacOS drops, you MUST buy it and upgrade, or you’ll never upgrade anything else, since everything from that point on will be made for the newest OS version.

The OS is nice – it’s about comparable to Windows now, really – just a matter of knowing where to find things.

And you’re right about looking dumb with one. It’s a pity, because if you overlook the 300% markup Apple tax, they are nice machines to use. When I had one, I wanted to hide the logo though so people didn’t think I bought into the whole “no viruses on Macs” and other spurious BS.

• Anonymous says:

Not true IF you hadn’t used pirate copies written on shitty DVD’s. My not modded PS2 slim works just fine after 5 years of playing… Crappy lasers were in Dreamcast, I don’t know a person whose never broke.

• Anonymous says:

Graphics doesnt really matter, we do want more ram and memeory in handhelds to support larger stages.
    FPS stages in Psp and NDS is horrible small, due to lack of memory and we run into invisible walls real quick.

• I don’t see whats the big deal… Still looks great on the 3DS to me. Also you cannot compare game made late in a consoles life cycle to a game made early in another’s life cycle.

Obviously MGSPW had the advantage of being made after developers gotten a hand of the PSP’s graphical capabilities. Being an original game also helps. While MGS3SN 3D is a port of an older game, plus the 3DS is a very new console. Don’t expect games to look extremely pretty just yet… Although by what we’ve already seen with Dead or Alive : Dimensions, the graphics are already of high quality.

*Wait a sec… Isn’t that a screenshot of a pre-rendered scene for PSP screenshot of MGSPW!?!

• Anonymous says:

shit graphics are always the trade off for the fancy 3D effect, as the system has to work twice as hard or produce half it’s maximum output because the images have to be doubled as individual frames.

• Anonymous says:

3DS has been sucking in the graphics department. The same thing goes for Ocarina of Time 3DS. The graphics for that game could be much more better but I still think they don’t do OoT justice. So MGS3DS is no surprise I guess. I wish Nintendo would release a console that is powerful and innovative. Sony and Microsoft are powerful but not innovative. Nintendo Innovative but not powerful.

• Anonymous says:

The 3DS graphics aren’t going to be up to console standards. Because a large chunk of it is going into the 3D itself. It’s not like the 3DS isn’t powerful, it’s just that the power has been redistributed to something else rather than “GR4PH1C5”.

• Guys, remember that the MGS3D shown at E3 2010 still is a tech demo, and the full game is a remake of a PS2 game. Why would they put so many resources into updating a PS2 game to almost MGS4 fidelity. It’s the same as with the HD remakes of old PS2 games for the PS3.

It’s fair. This doesn’t mean that what we’re seeing is the limit of the 3DS. They are going to make a game specifically for the 3DS sooner or later, then we’re talking.

• Anonymous says:

I like how in the second pic gameplay screens from 3DS are compared to PR-shots for PS2. Look at the first couple of pics there – PS2 obviously pretends to be HD, while in real life it was a blurry mess.

• Anonymous says:

The PSP example is a fake! It’s not really gameplay video but just a trailer of this game running on PC, how I noticed that? Snake never open his mouth in the real game. and cut scenes always use just drawing, in the actuall gameplay Snake graphic is way simple than that.

• You CANNOT COMPARE THE GRAPHICS of the 3DS without actually seeing the game in 3D! Obviously 2D representations of a game in full 3D will look bad. Do you guys even think before you post?

• Anonymous says:

I think the lighting is different because its rendered for 3D now. 2D images are easier to filter with 2D background settings and cool lighting effects to give it the illusion of 3D, but when you go all the way 3D things don’t add up. I’m glad its almost on par though 😛

This is 100% wrong.

I’m checking the video out from my 3DS and it’s definitely much clearer than the comparison shots above.

You can make out the individual leaves on the trees in the far backgound.

The image also looks slightly clearer when you turn on the 3D effect.

• Anonymous says:

Oh yeah, because we all play the Metal Gear Solid series for the graphics, right?

Sorry, bros.
    I’ve been playing the original MGS and I’d get the same level of enjoyment out of as I would MGS4, because it’s the story and gameplay I’m concerned with; not the graphics.

• Anonymous says:

If the stuff is in 3d, and we’d be getting two seperate imagines for the left and right, wouldn’t two blury 2d images combine in our heads to be a slightly sharper 3d one?

It’s double the vertical resolution isn’t it?

• Anonymous says:

Sony fans are so whiny. Of course it’s not going to look as good as the PS3 or PSP versions, it’s still running on a DS’s graphics processor. If you just want to fap to graphics then go play your late-gen console games instead of mocking a handheld that’s relatively new.

• Anonymous says:

So apparently the 3DS version has worse graphics than the PS2, or even the PSP. WTF!!?
    And I remember some other article making a big deal out of comparing preliminary 3DS vs PSP screenshots.

• Anonymous says:

Yeah I kind of gathered that the 3DS wasn’t capable of the kind of graphics first shown for this game when I watched the Zelda trailers. It looks like a polished version of the N64 version.

• Haha, nice troll… a PSP game will never look like that outside of movies. As for the 3DS version… yeah, that looks about right – expect about PSP-level graphics, give or take a bit.

If I find out it runs in 3D at 60fps, I will facepalm, as the resources for that could be much better used by bumping up model and texture detail.

• DoubleX31 says:

I do hope you realize that MGS games don’t have “cutscenes” in the traditional sense?

i.e. MGS cutscenes aren’t pre-rendered CG, they’re made using the in-game engine.

• Anonymous says:

Dude bigger cutscenes were pre-recorded using in-game engine on pc/devkit . Maybe they look like ingame but they’re not . The same with Uncharted series ,Ratchet and CLand and other . <Many of the cutscenes are pre-recorded using engine on more powerfull machines and packed to movie codecs .

• Anonymous says:

Yep that maybe true whit uncharted or GOW3, but in PeaceWalker the 3d cutscenes are done in REALTIME in engine, thats the only way for them to keep wathever camo, clothes, weapons, your using on the cutscene, thats IMPOSSIBLE in prerendered cutscenes (unles they prerendered EVERY POSSIBLE combination of items and thas silly, and not doable in a tiny UMD

• I am actually pleasantly surprised how PSP games look in real life since the GORGEOUS screens just pops out the visuals very nicely even if the games strain due to the system power. And running old PSOne or Super Nintendo games are amazing on it.

I came into gaming a while after the whole ‘glory days’ era and I don’t know why you oldsters cling too much onto Nintendo hype. It just seems ridiculous to me. Granted, some older games have aged well since I played through many and enjoyed them. I just don’t see the point in unnecessarily heightened reverence for the machines though.

• Anonymous says:

MSG3 didn’t even look like those “Prosming images” in the first place. Looking at the 3DS version and the PS2 version they are startlingly similar.

The 3DS just has some fuzz problems and that seems like a whole not of not much.

Posting again:

The in-game model of Naked Snake in Peace Walker(PSP) isn’t the one in the picture. The one in the picture is ONLY used for close-ups in a few cutscenes. His face is modeled as a triangle for the in-game model.

• Anonymous says:

In-game model of Naked Snake in Peace Walker isn’t the model in that screenshot. The one in the screenshot is ONLY used in close-ups in a few cutscenes. His face is a fucking triangle in gameplay

• Anonymous says:

Maybe if I use enough force I can jam the MGS game of this in to my DSi and it’ll play just fine.
    Of course I won’t have 3D but hey I get longer battery life and I don’t have to shell out 250 bucks for it!

I must admit I’m rather disappointed. I had also understood that the 2010 stuff was rendered etc. Wheather or not the new 2011 stuff looks good or not is not the point, it’s still a huge drop in quality. I’d actually like to see an NGP comparison just for the sake of seeing if it could deliver on what was shown in 2010.

Oh well. I planned on getting the 3DS upon its 2nd or 3rd iteration (3DS Lite, 3DSi whatever) and Nintendo’s Proj Cafe will probably look like a better investment for 2012.

• Anonymous says:

You guys are idiots. It looks fine. I honestly think the softer shading they put on the new footage matches the look of the PS2 original more than that first preview image.

Also keep in mind, this will be running in stereo 3D, so the camera angles are slightly off from the PS2. It’ll look fine on a small screen.

For some reason this reminds me of all of the PS3 vs 360 posts where the differences are so minuscule it comes down to taste.

• Anonymous says:

So, is Harry Gregson Williams’ magnificent “Metal Gear Solid” theme returning, or have the same Jews who also fucked up Dragonball Kai’s music at the last minute manage to sue it out of existence for good?

• many game was like
    “The more future it is, the more complicated it is.”

I just bought a PSP and a NDS LL recently, anyone know any good Galge for it?
    I just bought only Busou Shinki for PSP and Love Plus+ for NDS LL.

• PSP: all the PSP exclusives like Gran Turismo Portable, Motor Storm: Arctic Edge, God of War series, Lumines I and II; others are Monster Hunter 3rd, Disgaea 1 & 2 (the Japanese audio track has been kept in the US versions!), God Eater Burst, and many other jrpg like Final Fantasy tactics, Ogre Battle.

DS: All the NDS exclusives, like Mario and Zelda games, Advance Wars, Space Invaders Extreme (surprisingly fun and addictive!), Warioware, Rhythm Heaven, Dragon Quest 9.

• Anonymous says:

Disgaea 1 is actually better on NDS because of some more features and Prinny’s commentary.
        And don’t bother with Gran Turismo on PSP – it’s much, much worse than stationary versions, it’s too arcade.

And for NDS Elite Beat Agents and Okamiden. Also Chinatown Wars is better because of good use of touchscreen.

• Anonymous says:

I liked toradora, hayate no gotoku nightmare paradise, higurashi (its called daybreak i think),mgs pw, mgs po, one of the macross frontier games (dont remember wich one it was, two of them arnt that good), both haruhi games (especially the new one is amazing), ore no imouto ga konna ni kawaii wake ga nai (and ex), the sora no otoshimono game and to love-ru on the psp… they are all japanese exept for the two mgs titles, but you’d probably find them on amazon.co.jp.

If you’re into galge you should stick to the pc though… theres alot of really good games recently, for example last years Love Kami or last months Cure Girl…

Well some recomendations:

PSP: Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Final Fantasy IV Complete, MGS: Portable Ops and Peace Walker, Megaman Powered Up and Megaman Maverick Hunter X. Also the Project Diva games and the K ON! one are quite fun, but you have to order them (or DL them). That’s a good start.

DS: Castlevania (all 3 available), Fire Emblem (series don’t disappoint), and Megaman ZX is not as awesome as good old Megaman games, but it’s pretty good and has awesome OST.

• Anonymous says:

Sorry I think the 3DS kind fails I played one at a gamestop it just hurt my eyes and you couldn’t really see the “3D” unless you were close up. Of course if could have been the game I was playing SF4.

• Anonymous says:

LOL Lotta NDF people in here, it’s kinda funny how in the face of obvious proof people will still find a way to defend their blind fandom by use of red herring type tactics.