Monster Hunter 3rd Portable PS3 Excites Fans

mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-001

Monster Hunter fans (most of the gaming population of Japan it would seem) have been excitedly greeting the announcement that Monster Hunter 3rd Portable is to be remastered on the PS3.

The game, a straight remaster of the PSP original incorporating “HD” graphics and 3D display support, is due for Japanese release in the summer.

Graphically the game offers a vast improvement over the PSP original, although for a PS3 title the graphics are not so impressive:

mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-002
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-003
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-004
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-005
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-006
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-007
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-008

The announcement has prompted huge excitement in Japan, where the Monster Hunter series is to gaming what One Piece is to manga.

Monster Hunter games have usually remained mysteriously unpopular overseas however, so whether the title will be greeted with as much enthusiasm there seems doubtful.

• Anonymous says:

Not everything need an in depth story or plot for the means of entertainment.
    I play freedom unite with my bf and close friend and we make up our own stories to make the adventure seem unique rather than generic.
    Like someone mentioned already, the fact that you the hunter; is charged with defending the town and the people who travel from violent monsters wishing to expand territory or are just pricks. Maybe not exactly but he point is still there.
    When I play monster hunter, I want to fight things with the weapons I make not find it in some obscure location AFTER buying it two towns ago that takes the effort out, killing my mood.
    If I wanted to read or watch long cinimatics I’ll play Xenosaga over and every Final Fantasy I own.
    FYI I am looking forward to the new Phantasy Star in the works as well as the American release of White Knight Chronicles 2.
    So stuff it if you think ALL Americans are the vast majority listed on Sancom.
    Hopefully the hate will end but that’s like wishing on a world of wild roses or Space Jesus (if you get the Xenosaga and FF2 reference.)

• Anonymous says:

great, they waste time AND money to remake the game on a higher quality graphics instead on an english release. stupid i’d say… but i got tired and bored of the psp game anyway so it wont really make a difference. screw you capcom

• Given how I have seen games called itself hd reconvert, and the only change is that it seem only a bit brighter, lower contrast and better colour (God of War, I am looking at you ಠ_ಠ). unless Capcom willing to go an extra mile and REBUILD EVERY SINGLE 3D MODEL FROM SCRATCH, it wouldn’t worth the money. Also, since Monster Hunter Portable Third was disgustingly easy (end bosses like akantor or ukanlos now got half as much health, prepare 20 Mega Potion and only end up using 5-10),unless it is an expansion, then… THIS IS DELICIOUS… but guess not

• Anonymous says:

For those saying oh we need more maps and monsters added to this…ummmm thats why theres MONSTER HUNTER FRONTIER ………pretty much this is whats needed to be said… it be nice if they ported some of the stuff from Monster hunter Frontier like Weapon sizes or a few monsters and or maps…..or even if some of the monsters are event only…like back in MH1 for the ps2 Kirin was an event only monster

• Never played a MH game but it looks cool. I won’t buy it unless it has bluetooth support. I hate trying to type quest explanations or advanced tactics to noobs while I’m trying to kill monsters at the same time. Basically it has to be at least as good as or better than WKC.

• Anonymous says:

Almost in every case, people who bash Monster Hunter series has never had a friend introduce the game to them. The game feels completely different when played socially. Even if you aren’t currently playing in co-op mission, just knowing you will be playing in co-op with someone else changes your attitude. It’s a social game, and if you have no circle of friends who owns PSP and plays this, you wouldn’t understand the appeal. I’m saying these as someone who’ve seen long time haters of this game turn instantly into addicts when I introduced it to them.

I am serious, if you have a real live human being to play this game with regularly, you will become an addict. The real challenge is finding those friends. Until you’ve had that feeling of camaraderie in MH, hold your judgement on this game.

• Anonymous says:

They need a mode where half a dozen friends link up to a PS3 player who then gets to play as the monster of even better, a dungeon master.

Just wait and see they day these things become phone apps. No escape!

• Anonymous says:

So all they did was up the resolution.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Need to know more info about it though before I can pass judgement. Voice-chat? Right stick camera control? More UNIQUE maps, UNIQUE monsters and equipment?

Doubtful though but one can wish.

• It’s stayed pretty high on the wii “rankings” at gamefaq’s which just means there’s lots of users posting to the boards/reading the faqs if that means anything.

But yeah, it’s a lot like chinatown wars over here in the west. If someone has (or had) a PSP there was a gigantic chance they would be playing grand theft auto.

Just replace west and grand theft auto with east and monster hunter.

• Anonymous says:

tell that to other games with worse cameras that do well in the west. . . like Ninja Gaiden

I don’t think I’ve ever died or lost anything to the camera in a MH game, but I remember Demon’s Souls (which had a similar layout for controls) would get me killed all the time, due to the auto-lock feature.

• Anonymous says:

“Monster Hunter games have usually remained mysteriously unpopular overseas”…What we are waiting for is an online like a real mmorpg + 2nd analogic stick use for camera, So waiting for the ngp version <3

• There’s the rumor that the Portable God Of War games will be make into HD too and will be anounced on the next E3 expo… so this doesn`t surprise me…

Good will be if these games are compatible with the Future NGP…

• All I want is a plot… I say with hesitation, even a mediocre one. A world of battling constant monsters may as well be similar to looking at an excel spread sheet with pretty graphics if there’s no pay off of character development and at least a somewhat compelling narrative.

Monster Hunter to me is like all those god damn MMO trailers out there. You watch it and it’s this unbelievably excellent trailer with awesome characters doing beautiful moves, you start liking them and the often compelling premises, only to find out that it’s an MMO and the majesty and potential of this incredible trailer just died as fast as it was born.

God.
    Fucking.
    Damit.

• Anonymous says:

exactly what “i forgot your name” anon said
      you are the story in this game, since in this game, there is no manual to learn how to hunt properly, you will need to learn who you are & what can you do

grinding? if you consider getting rare item is grinding, yes this game have it
      but do not bias this, everything in this game can be obliterated with minimal weapon, the difference is how long will it succumb

group hunting is suggested for best experience, but be ready to learn people is unstable, pro player are very entertaining, while new or bad player can be frustating at time, depending on how far you learn this game

also, if you somehow “averaged” this game, pretty much all game is easy to finish

• Anonymous says:

I can see what your getting at Mr House Sir, but honestly, I don’t think the Monster Hunter series is a game that needs plot. No more than Gordon Freeman needs a voice even.

The plot in Monster Hunter is:
      You are a monster hunter. You hunt Monsters. Sometimes there are big scary ones that threaten a town, and you hunt them too. You get an occasional victory cinematic for special kills, and you go out to kill some more.

The key point there is, ‘YOU’ are a monster hunter. The character development and immersion comes in the form of your own experiences against each monster and as you learn how to defeat them. I never needed a narrator to tell me how I felt when a Tigrex (bad) turned up unannounced on a routine herbivore hunting mission. I also didn’t need any plot central NPC to help me feel the pride of victory when I finally came back and defeated that Tigrex further on in the game. It’s fair to compare the series to the grind of MMO’s in certain ways, but there’s a heavy amount of skill, tactics and learning involved in succeeding at the game. When I started playing through MH2, I was surprised at the real feeling of developing as a hunter I got. Not because of the new gear I’d made, which still failed to save me from that damned leaping attack, but because I’d learnt how to read the monster and now knew how to avoid the attack. My friends and I have all written our own stories based on our MH characters, filling in the gaps and fleshing out the stuff we imagine, even including transcribing things we physically say as if our characters said it.

Personally, my fault/issue with the game is the grinding, sadly still present despite the deceptively solid gameplay. I grew tired of eventually resorting to killing the same monster repeatedly to farm for weapon materials. It quickly steals the feel I described and makes it feel petty. It’s not too bad at the start of the game, but the late stage of the game heads into some sever grinding tedium. Hence why I only ever play 2/3rds of any Monster Hunter title. I strive to defeat them all once as part of the journey, and then stop.

• Anonymous says:

I think this guy hit it right on the head. The experience of learning how to fight all the monsters that seem impossible to beat when you first meet them head on is quite enjoyable. Then you throw in the fact you can do this with a group of people makes for a memorable time. Being able to play with others in this game is what really brought it to the next level in my opinion.

• Anonymous says:

excuse that fool. not all westerners are so blind. i am a citizen of the usa who happens to love the series so much that i play the japanese version of portable 3rd with an english patch on a hacked psp because i’m too damn impatient to wait for a north american release. also @ dipshit who claims games of the series have no plot…every quest contract explains why someone wants you to hunt (insert monster name here) & the village elder always explains to you (A): why you’ve been summoned to their village (B): exactly what they expect of you/what you should do next (C): why the monster for each urgent quest is so damn urgent & they also congratulate you at the story’s “end” & an ending cinematic plays, after which you are given more to do simply for the sake of a challenge. pay more attention before you rant, you incompetent backwoods retard

• Anonymous says:

The real problem isn’t so much lack of story as lack of the amazing gameplay trailers seem to hint at but don’t deliver on. As far as mmo’s go, anyway. They’re all a grind.

• Well… as far as mediocrity goes all the F2P MMORPG’s I’ve seem have them plenty.

WOW itself have a DEEP (albeit a bit convoluted most of the time) lore.

The problem is that after a while clicking the same shit to perform the same crap over and over you just don’t care anymore. MH at least drop the pretense that people will read quest logs and stuff and go straight for the mindless number mashing that everyone is addicted to.

…ofc, I will let you have your taste to plot and stuff. Just be aware that in a world where mindless multiplayer is the norm you are better off reading a book if that is your thing (that is what I do most of the time ^^).

• @ 711

I don’t play MMOs. Anymore at least. I played five of them. Never touched WOW, but I do trust blizzard to bring up a great plot and apparently they now have the technology with which to give MMO players their own story even if others are around from what I’ve heard. That definitely intrigues me, but now it’s too late to play from the very beginning apparently.

And the ‘read a book’ argument angers me to no end. You’re correct that if an MMO is the choice, a book makes more sense, but that’s not the point. That’s giving up. The alternative to having a decent, compelling plot and character development is to not do it at all and go elsewhere? Bullshit. I don’t blame MMOs for it, but Monster Hunter really doesn’t have much of an excuse. It’s not even very hard to add a plot into it, or characters for that matter.

The issue is people are so jaded by videogame plots because most of them aren’t written that well, but many of us can sink into a world far better with a scenario with which to bring us in. If a game is just hack-and-slash, it gets boring without a shift in perspective. Monster Hunter seems to do well by mixing up the creatures, but it’s such a waste of a setting to me.

• i play an mmo, everquest.

now, long as quest text is SO boring to read that i don’t even fucking bother.

however thats not to say that i never read it.

every quest i do
          every expantion that comes out
          every thing i pick up
          every zone i go to
          every event that happens

if there is lore attached to it, i read it out of game

its all very interesting, especially when you hit the gods.

but in game… yea…

evrequest is almost the perfect blend of do a quest, grind some xp, and get some gear… only thing that holds it back is that it takes 10-15 days in game on a normal server of constant work to get to where the game is really fun now. eq devs are trying to GET RID OF THE MID LEVEL GRINDS (level 51-level 75 or 80 i forget which, where you have to stop leveling and get aa points, basicly re leveling level 50-51 1500 times)

now monster hunter if i remember right, is grind grind grind, get cow cum, dragon toe jam fungus, and a light brown but not realy brown leaf, combine them, MAGIC FUCKING EPIC WEAPON.

that is why i hate it.

the combat is so… so… ever play phantay star… imagine that, but 10 times slower at the very least… pso was among my favorite games, but fuck… it was fast compared to monster hunter.

give me monster hunter.
          make the combines make some amount of logical sense.
          make it a bit faster paced, as in im not waiting to swing the sword for 10+ seconds.
          give the game a level system instead of a rank… make it superficial, like level 1 is only 10% worse than level 100, but it give a sense of advancement that the game currently lacks.

• Anonymous says:

As someone who’s played a ton of MMO’s (WoW, ff11, guild wars, dcuo, warhammer online, eq2, linaege 2, to name a few off the top of my head) the most important thing is not story but the gameplay.

A good story doesn’t maintain retention rate of subscribers. Take a look at DCUO; has a pretty interesting story (at least to me, i didn’t know anything about american comic books) but just like everyone that hit 30, i ended up quitting because post 30 gameplay like raiding and pvp were absolutely terrible.

I’ve played some MH on my friend’s wii before and i can see why its popular in japan. The battle tactics required can be difficult at times and it keeps the game interesting despite a lack of story. Most people that play MMO’s also become accustomed to grinding so it doesn’t bother them that much. I think Asians in general are more accepting of grinding in MMO’s. It seems that way from how most korean MMO’s are set up and how ff11 was as well.

• Monster Hunter is all about team work and obviously hunt. Why the hell this game needs a plot, people don`t copmlain about wasting hours of they live in stupid CoD games. And yes I know CoD have a single player mode, but who cares about it anyway? MH with plot would be as stupid as those Jrpg that comes out recently. And besides what could you come up with MH setting? A big and scary monster that is trying to destroy a whole world?

• Anonymous says:

it is the same crazy ass mentality of pocket monsters, to kill (catch) ’em all! that is pervasive in Nippon land, and I’ve tried one of those games to find in disgust that there’s a TIME limit for going out into the world~ What the Fiuck?! I played FF Tactics and if I wanted to move my characters around the map for shits and giggles~ I could do that. Except for one lousy level where you had only about 5 turns before losing! Time limits for Nonsensical reasons blow, and I’m thinking most Americans agree!

• Time Limits? I was thinking of getting this one if it saw a US release to see what the hub bub was about (I first saw monster hunter being played on PSP in university when the first one came out, but I wasn’t impressed) but time limits are an instant no for me. I play lots of games, but I do it at my own pace, and any game that think it knows the pace I should play better than me can go screw itself.

And yes, it should have a plot, and I think that’s part of why this game–and by extension, Lost Planet 2–fail in the west. We’ve grown to expect some kind of context for the random violence in these games, even Pokemon at least has some pretense of a plot behind it. I don’t like Pokemon, but it’s considerably more popular here than Monster Hunter is, and that might be the difference.

• Anonymous says:

The only reason Pokemon is more popular is because first, it came out way long ago and really caught on with the younger generation, and as more games kept getting released, that same generation grew up and kept buying while more kids get into the franchise as well. With Monster Hunter, you don’t really get into that kinda game unless you’re in your teens, then there was that whole deal about not being able to play multiplayer unless you got that PS2 internet connection thing, then they didn’t port over Monster Hunter 2 or Monster Hunter G, so yeah, in reality a lot of factors led to it not catching on as much here in America, and the time limit is not even on that list of reasons.

• Anonymous says:

SpideyPHL and 22:27, you are both retarded. The whole point of fucking time limits is if they were not there you could just sit around hunting the monster all day with no sense of urgency. You are restricted to 50 minutes (50 fucking minutes, it usually only takes 20-30 to kill the monster) and if you cant do what you need in that time I’m glad retards like you wont be clogging up the server.

• Anonymous says:

argh come on already, release the english PsP version first..! I am an addict of this game and having a ton of stuff on the “freedom unite” game want to import it to the new one and kick some monsters arses…! PS3 pah, overpriced girly-man toy

• Anonymous says:

the graphics weren’t really “updated” into HD. The textures and models are the same. It’s just not being restricted to the small pixel count of the PSP’s screen.

Though being able to use Ad Hoc Partly play to find team-mates online sure is a big improvement.

• Never played Portable so this PS3 port would be amazing as a first experience. And I’m supposing multiplayer would be through infastructure on PSN instead having to rely on other PSP’s or ad hoc party. Much easier since I don’t have a wired connection.

• Anonymous says:

a port to ps3 just for higher resolution? no thanks.
    unless they feature more stuff like weapons/monsters/armor/maps. otherwise, the blu-ray disc will just be greatly unsaturated; not worth buying even though i’m a huge fan of MH series.

• Anonymous says:

But, the PSP game is not out in the west, so you lose nothing for buying it, and gain everything.

They will probably include online play, so you don’t have to track another player down to play multiplayer.