Monster Hunter 3rd Portable PS3 Excites Fans

mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-001.jpg

Monster Hunter fans (most of the gaming population of Japan it would seem) have been excitedly greeting the announcement that Monster Hunter 3rd Portable is to be remastered on the PS3.

The game, a straight remaster of the PSP original incorporating “HD” graphics and 3D display support, is due for Japanese release in the summer.

Graphically the game offers a vast improvement over the PSP original, although for a PS3 title the graphics are not so impressive:

mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-002.jpg
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-003.jpg
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-004.jpg
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-005.jpg
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-006.jpg
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-007.jpg
mh-3rd-portable-hd-version-008.jpg

The announcement has prompted huge excitement in Japan, where the Monster Hunter series is to gaming what One Piece is to manga.

Monster Hunter games have usually remained mysteriously unpopular overseas however, so whether the title will be greeted with as much enthusiasm there seems doubtful.

21:22 22/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Still, would be nice to play it on a 52" TV... ^.^

02:09 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Article title is spot on. I am an excited fan.

Comment by tingle
    01:07 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you can do that with PS@ it it has a TV out we just never use it.

Comment by DarkChaplain
    20:59 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Still won't magically enhance the resolution. 480x272p looks horrible on huge TVs...

Comment by tingle
    01:07 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i mean psp

01:51 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you should be recruited by CSI team and go MAGNIFY!!

Comment by HouseLife
    21:16 22/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

All I want is a plot... I say with hesitation, even a mediocre one. A world of battling constant monsters may as well be similar to looking at an excel spread sheet with pretty graphics if there's no pay off of character development and at least a somewhat compelling narrative.

Monster Hunter to me is like all those god damn MMO trailers out there. You watch it and it's this unbelievably excellent trailer with awesome characters doing beautiful moves, you start liking them and the often compelling premises, only to find out that it's an MMO and the majesty and potential of this incredible trailer just died as fast as it was born.

God.
    Fucking.
    Damit.

Comment by 711
    23:36 22/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well... as far as mediocrity goes all the F2P MMORPG's I've seem have them plenty.

WOW itself have a DEEP (albeit a bit convoluted most of the time) lore.

The problem is that after a while clicking the same shit to perform the same crap over and over you just don't care anymore. MH at least drop the pretense that people will read quest logs and stuff and go straight for the mindless number mashing that everyone is addicted to.

...ofc, I will let you have your taste to plot and stuff. Just be aware that in a world where mindless multiplayer is the norm you are better off reading a book if that is your thing (that is what I do most of the time ^^).

04:44 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Books? I've heard of those things before. I hear they're like websites you can carry in your pocket.

Comment by HouseLife
    04:56 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ 711

I don't play MMOs. Anymore at least. I played five of them. Never touched WOW, but I do trust blizzard to bring up a great plot and apparently they now have the technology with which to give MMO players their own story even if others are around from what I've heard. That definitely intrigues me, but now it's too late to play from the very beginning apparently.

And the 'read a book' argument angers me to no end. You're correct that if an MMO is the choice, a book makes more sense, but that's not the point. That's giving up. The alternative to having a decent, compelling plot and character development is to not do it at all and go elsewhere? Bullshit. I don't blame MMOs for it, but Monster Hunter really doesn't have much of an excuse. It's not even very hard to add a plot into it, or characters for that matter.

The issue is people are so jaded by videogame plots because most of them aren't written that well, but many of us can sink into a world far better with a scenario with which to bring us in. If a game is just hack-and-slash, it gets boring without a shift in perspective. Monster Hunter seems to do well by mixing up the creatures, but it's such a waste of a setting to me.

Comment by Sulraen
    06:36 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Monster Hunter is all about team work and obviously hunt. Why the hell this game needs a plot, people don`t copmlain about wasting hours of they live in stupid CoD games. And yes I know CoD have a single player mode, but who cares about it anyway? MH with plot would be as stupid as those Jrpg that comes out recently. And besides what could you come up with MH setting? A big and scary monster that is trying to destroy a whole world?

06:44 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

As someone who's played a ton of MMO's (WoW, ff11, guild wars, dcuo, warhammer online, eq2, linaege 2, to name a few off the top of my head) the most important thing is not story but the gameplay.

A good story doesn't maintain retention rate of subscribers. Take a look at DCUO; has a pretty interesting story (at least to me, i didn't know anything about american comic books) but just like everyone that hit 30, i ended up quitting because post 30 gameplay like raiding and pvp were absolutely terrible.

I've played some MH on my friend's wii before and i can see why its popular in japan. The battle tactics required can be difficult at times and it keeps the game interesting despite a lack of story. Most people that play MMO's also become accustomed to grinding so it doesn't bother them that much. I think Asians in general are more accepting of grinding in MMO's. It seems that way from how most korean MMO's are set up and how ff11 was as well.

Comment by Myballz
    09:43 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering people have a lot of time of there hands.Considering that Sony has released some MMO on PS3 they plan to release more in the future.

Comment by alidan
    02:39 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i play an mmo, everquest.

now, long as quest text is SO boring to read that i don't even fucking bother.

however thats not to say that i never read it.

every quest i do
    every expantion that comes out
    every thing i pick up
    every zone i go to
    every event that happens

if there is lore attached to it, i read it out of game

its all very interesting, especially when you hit the gods.

but in game... yea...

evrequest is almost the perfect blend of do a quest, grind some xp, and get some gear... only thing that holds it back is that it takes 10-15 days in game on a normal server of constant work to get to where the game is really fun now. eq devs are trying to GET RID OF THE MID LEVEL GRINDS (level 51-level 75 or 80 i forget which, where you have to stop leveling and get aa points, basicly re leveling level 50-51 1500 times)

now monster hunter if i remember right, is grind grind grind, get cow cum, dragon toe jam fungus, and a light brown but not realy brown leaf, combine them, MAGIC FUCKING EPIC WEAPON.

that is why i hate it.

the combat is so... so... ever play phantay star... imagine that, but 10 times slower at the very least... pso was among my favorite games, but fuck... it was fast compared to monster hunter.

give me monster hunter.
    make the combines make some amount of logical sense.
    make it a bit faster paced, as in im not waiting to swing the sword for 10+ seconds.
    give the game a level system instead of a rank... make it superficial, like level 1 is only 10% worse than level 100, but it give a sense of advancement that the game currently lacks.

17:56 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

people play WoW for the plot that gets retconned every expansion?

09:16 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You want plot?, just go play God Eater Burst you ungrateful bastard.

07:54 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can see what your getting at Mr House Sir, but honestly, I don't think the Monster Hunter series is a game that needs plot. No more than Gordon Freeman needs a voice even.

The plot in Monster Hunter is:
    You are a monster hunter. You hunt Monsters. Sometimes there are big scary ones that threaten a town, and you hunt them too. You get an occasional victory cinematic for special kills, and you go out to kill some more.

The key point there is, 'YOU' are a monster hunter. The character development and immersion comes in the form of your own experiences against each monster and as you learn how to defeat them. I never needed a narrator to tell me how I felt when a Tigrex (bad) turned up unannounced on a routine herbivore hunting mission. I also didn't need any plot central NPC to help me feel the pride of victory when I finally came back and defeated that Tigrex further on in the game. It's fair to compare the series to the grind of MMO's in certain ways, but there's a heavy amount of skill, tactics and learning involved in succeeding at the game. When I started playing through MH2, I was surprised at the real feeling of developing as a hunter I got. Not because of the new gear I'd made, which still failed to save me from that damned leaping attack, but because I'd learnt how to read the monster and now knew how to avoid the attack. My friends and I have all written our own stories based on our MH characters, filling in the gaps and fleshing out the stuff we imagine, even including transcribing things we physically say as if our characters said it.

Personally, my fault/issue with the game is the grinding, sadly still present despite the deceptively solid gameplay. I grew tired of eventually resorting to killing the same monster repeatedly to farm for weapon materials. It quickly steals the feel I described and makes it feel petty. It's not too bad at the start of the game, but the late stage of the game heads into some sever grinding tedium. Hence why I only ever play 2/3rds of any Monster Hunter title. I strive to defeat them all once as part of the journey, and then stop.

22:25 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think this guy hit it right on the head. The experience of learning how to fight all the monsters that seem impossible to beat when you first meet them head on is quite enjoyable. Then you throw in the fact you can do this with a group of people makes for a memorable time. Being able to play with others in this game is what really brought it to the next level in my opinion.

03:55 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The real problem isn't so much lack of story as lack of the amazing gameplay trailers seem to hint at but don't deliver on. As far as mmo's go, anyway. They're all a grind.

05:14 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

hello westerner, who doesn't understand what monster hunter is.

10:40 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

excuse that fool. not all westerners are so blind. i am a citizen of the usa who happens to love the series so much that i play the japanese version of portable 3rd with an english patch on a hacked psp because i'm too damn impatient to wait for a north american release. also @ dipshit who claims games of the series have no plot...every quest contract explains why someone wants you to hunt (insert monster name here) & the village elder always explains to you (A): why you've been summoned to their village (B): exactly what they expect of you/what you should do next (C): why the monster for each urgent quest is so damn urgent & they also congratulate you at the story's "end" & an ending cinematic plays, after which you are given more to do simply for the sake of a challenge. pay more attention before you rant, you incompetent backwoods retard

03:09 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

exactly what "i forgot your name" anon said
    you are the story in this game, since in this game, there is no manual to learn how to hunt properly, you will need to learn who you are & what can you do

grinding? if you consider getting rare item is grinding, yes this game have it
    but do not bias this, everything in this game can be obliterated with minimal weapon, the difference is how long will it succumb

group hunting is suggested for best experience, but be ready to learn people is unstable, pro player are very entertaining, while new or bad player can be frustating at time, depending on how far you learn this game

also, if you somehow "averaged" this game, pretty much all game is easy to finish

13:13 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Asking for plot in MH is like asking why Tetris has no plot.

22:27 22/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it is the same crazy ass mentality of pocket monsters, to kill (catch) 'em all! that is pervasive in Nippon land, and I've tried one of those games to find in disgust that there's a TIME limit for going out into the world~ What the Fiuck?! I played FF Tactics and if I wanted to move my characters around the map for shits and giggles~ I could do that. Except for one lousy level where you had only about 5 turns before losing! Time limits for Nonsensical reasons blow, and I'm thinking most Americans agree!

Comment by SpideyPHL
    03:19 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Time Limits? I was thinking of getting this one if it saw a US release to see what the hub bub was about (I first saw monster hunter being played on PSP in university when the first one came out, but I wasn't impressed) but time limits are an instant no for me. I play lots of games, but I do it at my own pace, and any game that think it knows the pace I should play better than me can go screw itself.

And yes, it should have a plot, and I think that's part of why this game--and by extension, Lost Planet 2--fail in the west. We've grown to expect some kind of context for the random violence in these games, even Pokemon at least has some pretense of a plot behind it. I don't like Pokemon, but it's considerably more popular here than Monster Hunter is, and that might be the difference.

04:52 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The only reason Pokemon is more popular is because first, it came out way long ago and really caught on with the younger generation, and as more games kept getting released, that same generation grew up and kept buying while more kids get into the franchise as well. With Monster Hunter, you don't really get into that kinda game unless you're in your teens, then there was that whole deal about not being able to play multiplayer unless you got that PS2 internet connection thing, then they didn't port over Monster Hunter 2 or Monster Hunter G, so yeah, in reality a lot of factors led to it not catching on as much here in America, and the time limit is not even on that list of reasons.

04:39 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

SpideyPHL and 22:27, you are both retarded. The whole point of fucking time limits is if they were not there you could just sit around hunting the monster all day with no sense of urgency. You are restricted to 50 minutes (50 fucking minutes, it usually only takes 20-30 to kill the monster) and if you cant do what you need in that time I'm glad retards like you wont be clogging up the server.

23:10 22/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Try Witcher 2 if you want some monster stabbing with your plot.

08:05 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yes, because I needed more time to stare at Geralt's manly, scarred ass while he penetrates woman #12353686.

02:53 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Anyone else prefer a remastered god eater?

Comment by lett303
    00:10 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'd love it if GodEater gets the same treatment plus more maps, bigger monsters, new towns, more eqpuiment, more customization options and an awesome new storymode in HD.

02:49 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

with their gameplay & clunky control? i take my MHP3rd all day long thx u very much

beside, GE story is just casual B grade JRPG story
    safe the world, by defeating by lol easy to dodge boss

Comment by amugaba
    02:47 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

GodEater 2 anyone?

Comment by Demi-Rebel 72
    05:51 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Tell you the truth, I've never played Monster Hunter before, just demos. I keep thinking to myself that it might be a bad game, but if I try out this one then maybe I'll reconsider and put my bad thought away.

07:08 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll be honest : hunting dragons is fun, but carrying eggs drives me nuts. God do I hate those egg missions...

05:09 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They need a mode where half a dozen friends link up to a PS3 player who then gets to play as the monster of even better, a dungeon master.

Just wait and see they day these things become phone apps. No escape!

03:54 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I sincerely hope that this comes over to the US.

02:59 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Insert fanboy squeal here

Comment by Rashid
    04:07 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Monster Hunter games have usually remained mysteriously unpopular overseas"

pretty much the same reason because almost every asian MMORPG is not popular here: GRIND, GRIND and MORE GRIND.

Comment by Storm
    04:16 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I still want a english date to be announced T.T

Comment by raijinz
    05:39 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You have no idea how long I've waited for something like this! I am SOLD! (and my friend will be too when I tell him!)

Comment by Kalroth
    14:09 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Never played a MH game but it looks cool. I won't buy it unless it has bluetooth support. I hate trying to type quest explanations or advanced tactics to noobs while I'm trying to kill monsters at the same time. Basically it has to be at least as good as or better than WKC.

20:05 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

great, they waste time AND money to remake the game on a higher quality graphics instead on an english release. stupid i'd say... but i got tired and bored of the psp game anyway so it wont really make a difference. screw you capcom

00:25 25/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Not everything need an in depth story or plot for the means of entertainment.
    I play freedom unite with my bf and close friend and we make up our own stories to make the adventure seem unique rather than generic.
    Like someone mentioned already, the fact that you the hunter; is charged with defending the town and the people who travel from violent monsters wishing to expand territory or are just pricks. Maybe not exactly but he point is still there.
    When I play monster hunter, I want to fight things with the weapons I make not find it in some obscure location AFTER buying it two towns ago that takes the effort out, killing my mood.
    If I wanted to read or watch long cinimatics I'll play Xenosaga over and every Final Fantasy I own.
    FYI I am looking forward to the new Phantasy Star in the works as well as the American release of White Knight Chronicles 2.
    So stuff it if you think ALL Americans are the vast majority listed on Sancom.
    Hopefully the hate will end but that's like wishing on a world of wild roses or Space Jesus (if you get the Xenosaga and FF2 reference.)

03:36 26/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I wanna duel wield dragon bone smashers

00:51 25/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

anyone wonder what would happen if MH got a kinect version?

leap of invicibility!!!! roll roll...guard!!!

Comment by Shima-kun989
    11:35 25/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

more like
    leap of invincibility!!! now ur in a coma and out a flatscreen

16:15 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

For those saying oh we need more maps and monsters added to this...ummmm thats why theres MONSTER HUNTER FRONTIER .........pretty much this is whats needed to be said... it be nice if they ported some of the stuff from Monster hunter Frontier like Weapon sizes or a few monsters and or maps.....or even if some of the monsters are event only...like back in MH1 for the ps2 Kirin was an event only monster

17:57 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Unless they completely re-do the textures and do more it's just a shoddy upscale to HD resolutions

Comment by 2141UKTUKODEP
    18:17 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Given how I have seen games called itself hd reconvert, and the only change is that it seem only a bit brighter, lower contrast and better colour (God of War, I am looking at you ಠ_ಠ). unless Capcom willing to go an extra mile and REBUILD EVERY SINGLE 3D MODEL FROM SCRATCH, it wouldn't worth the money. Also, since Monster Hunter Portable Third was disgustingly easy (end bosses like akantor or ukanlos now got half as much health, prepare 20 Mega Potion and only end up using 5-10),unless it is an expansion, then... THIS IS DELICIOUS... but guess not

02:51 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the wrong thing is you prepared 20 mega potion for akantor
    jeez, i dunno how long you played, but none to 5 is enough for akantor, depending on how you & it behave

00:06 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

sry but akantor is STILL an end boss? i thought they would have moved him down to a HR 3-4, hes just a gravios that can summon lava plumes.