PlayStation Network Down 5 Days with No End in Sight

sony-psn-logo.jpg

The ongoing global outage of Sony’s PlayStation Network, now at 5 days, may be in danger of continuing even further – in its latest update Sony refused to provide any information on what is going on or when it will be fixed.

Despite predicting “it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running” on the 21st, since then Sony has stopped providing a timeframe and in its latest missive only offers a lame acknowledgement of the disaster:

I know you are waiting for additional information on when PlayStation Network and Qriocity services will be online. Unfortunately, I don’t have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time.

As we previously noted, this is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly. We’ll keep you updated with information as it becomes available. We once again thank you for your patience.

Rumours now suggest Sony may be nearing a point where it can restore service, although there is next to no official information from Sony itself about any progress.

In fact, all Sony has revealed is that an “external intrusion” prompted them to turn off the entire PSN service, rather suggesting they may be downplaying the severity of the trouble.

Microsoft for its part has graciously called the outage “regretful” whilst crowing that it expects to see “an increase of traffic.”

Comment by Rubba
    06:45 26/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Remember when consoles didn't have online multiplayer functionality?

I feel sorry for all those people who can't play their grey gritty modern realistic shooters.

21:25 26/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

ah that good ol days ...

06:24 27/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally i use my PS3 more for watching Hulu and Netflix than i do for games anymore - and both of those apps require you to be signed into PSN - that is what is really killing me!

and demons souls, marvel vs capcom 3......

Comment by Kawaii3
    08:13 26/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'm still playing. You know, offline like it used to be before Online gaming and crappy first person shooters.

Comment by HouseLife
    09:06 26/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Here, here. Only thing the online aspect does for me is allow me DLC for games and makes the hours of work I did to get trophies permanently in their database, as opposed to the 220 hours I spent on Star Ocean 3 to get trophies that will die when that memory card does since I can't copy them...

Who the tumbling fuck was allowed to make a trophy for winning a battle with your entire team paralyzed? I want to find that person and break his knees with a baseball bat for just being a complete and total dickhead.

Comment by Chlose
    15:30 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Theres a trophy for doing that? Dayum, someone must have really wanted to piss people off lol

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    17:03 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But it is challenging...

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    10:55 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

This decides to occur just around the time I actually am able to go online...

Horse's Ass, Horse's Ass!...

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:06 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sony. It only does strange fan-backpedaling.

The more features Sony takes out, the more the 'fans' says they don't need it and Sony is in the right for taking away features and content.

They never removed any feature that wasn't widely used. They also added more stuff than removed.

09:06 26/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

This PSN outage might a serious warning to those games who centered their experence for online gaming only or need online excultively to power their features. Games like Final Fight Double Impact and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 will not start at all without the PSN and some features in the games that still work will depend on how much it is attached to online (i. e. how much of your game must absolutlely need the power of online to make it work without it being disabled when the servers are off).

This is what will happen if there is an online only future and there is no way to keep what you pay for. At least get rid of the DRM crap as soon as we brought the game. The DRM BS should've been reserved for demos, not full games. I fell like the good guys, the honest people, and those who follow the rules are getting screwed real hard because of someone else's BS. We are nothing more than acceptable losses in a meaningless war.

Poeole in the Xbox 360 and Wii camps need to be real careful in what they say about this situation. Their system might be next. There is no honor among theives. They will celerbrate with their knives behind their back ready to kill as soon as their "friends and allies" turn around.

Before this decade is over with the PSN for the PS3 might shut down permantely. You all saw how Microsoft treats the orignal XBox Live service after the XBox 360 came on the scene. Don't be suprise if the same thing happens here. Companies of all types put money first before anything else and will do anything to keep that money flowing, even if it means resorting to BS tactics like the stuff we experence in the past 6 years.

Think about it, how many games you have right now will not work well offline or have very hollow gameplay offline, those games that you just can't live without online? It's sadly a decreasing list as the years go by, even worse if the PS3 is the only system the gamer have in their room right now.

In the meantime, if you still want to play games offline, look at your PS3 collection (or any other collection tf you have another system) and take some time to play the ones that you miss or didn't have time to play due to you being online almost 85% of the time. This might be a great time to catch up on your trophy hunt or finish that game that you have a lot of trouble trying to complete.

Or you can just stop and smell the roses and take this opportunity to refresh yourself, to unwind, to recharge, to go outside and look at life a little bit more. Always take all things in moderation, don't spend too much time on one thing.

That is my 2 cents on this matter. It will be back soon. Just be patient. SOmethiines there are more important things in life besides videogames.

And at least I don't have to worry about Bowel_Jacker187 bugging me for the time being so it not all that bad.

Comment by Artefact

I was tempted to comment on this in the body of the article.

The only truly major online gaming services are XBL and PSN - both of which are contending they are fit to encompass the consumer's entire digital lifestyle, and either of which represents a single point of failure. Both are also run by ruthless and impermanent corporations. What if both went off at the same time? Or if both decided to engage in more aggressive price collusion?

It wasn't so long ago that people ridiculed the likes of AOL, MSN and Compuserve for trying to wall people off from the Internet with their own little networks, and yet these two have nearly pulled it off...

Comment by Aardbark
    15:44 26/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Artefact, when nameing online gameing services, you forgot to mention Steam.

10:04 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

You forgot Steam. Which is going to the PS3 as well.

11:46 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly steam rapes both XBL and PSN anyday.

Also anyone who believes the outages are from hackers they are sadly mistaken. Sony are just putting up a smokescreen so their customers don't get really pissed. So instead of focusing on Sony's incompetence they are focusing on these imaginary hackers.

PSN is down all around the world. It would take one HELL of a seriously hacker to pull it off. No one from anon, the PS3 Scene, or anyone in between has that amount of skill or even equipment.

19:45 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

To be honest, this smells of a DDOS-attack.
    True, it can be that they are trying to find a way to stop a bug from being exploited, but they could just deduct the points if they went over their logs, I'm sure.
    True, it could be a hack, but somehow I doubt PSN would be down for five days and running if it was "only" a virus or backdoor.
    A continued DDOS would make it impossible to open PSN again until the attack was over. Considering such attacks seldom lasts this long it would give an explanation on why they stated one or two days initially and now have no date.

Comment by OrangeMango
    14:42 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think if a group of good hackers can get together they can hack the PSN and take it down, remember there are a lot of hackers out there some little ones using a premade jailbreak usb, others the one making the jailbreaks of Tomaso so just saying that Sony is hiding behind imaginary hackers could be very wrong, someone could have hacked the PSN but then again you could be right since they have just been hacked and maybe they want to make the PS3 unhackable again but there is no sure fire answer so I think people should stop assuming things like idiots. That's how rumors like "Sony's going to start charging for online" get started, when I hear things like this it pisses me off and when it never happens then I put it in their faces.

Comment by btoast
    14:10 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. I doubt this is a hacking attack on PSN. Rather, this is Sony taking down the PSN because people figured out how to get free money on PSN to buy any thing they want. Look up Redbug CFW for PS3. This is Sony going Oh Shit, and clicking the off switch.

Comment by John Lennon
    15:33 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Alright then, what IS the problem eh?

Comment by alidan
    11:45 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i cant comment on those isps, as i wasnt online when that shit was going down.

but consoles walling off their services for the sake of drm, is a smart move. though their implementation is poor. realistically it should be more like you log in, and once every few weeks it would need to re log in to verify. once the console cycle is over, than greener pastures.

however i dont think network games will be treated the same next cycle too, various reason i wont get into.

but in all honesty, if they pull that kind of shit, there will always be a work around. isnt there a way to play xbox games with a mod chip circumventing the xbox live? if i need to resort to piracy to play the games i own, i will.

Comment by PhillB
    10:44 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So Anonymous has dealt a blow to Sony.

Couldn't expect less, but you are truly right.

As for Steam, even a troll of the likes of Gabe Newell has learned when to keep his mouth shut (sorry Gaben).

I believe Nintendo and M$ got a glimpse out of this.

06:50 26/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

The PlayStation Network isn't down. Sony just removed the feature and didn't tell anyone. :>

Comment by PhillB
    10:55 26/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

You mean, firmware update?

22:21 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Knew this news was gonna be on Sankaku-kun.. They were hacked. All we can do is wait. I'm currently suffering heavy damage cuz of this, but since I know its also happening to everyone else, I'm okay with it, If the problem was only in my region though I'm gonna suicide. No not really. But I'll be mad.

Comment by konakona
    01:07 27/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They shouldn't have pissed off all the hackers lol.

Comment by Riiku
    23:04 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Meanwhile, a hordes of hungry mutated zombies are attacking Sony's HQ, but all they thinking about, like brave knights, is how they can put PSN online.

Comment by AzureHakua
    05:56 26/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Play single player games:
    Problem solved.

AT:Qoga should be more than enough with tits on your PS3, I'm fine as is. xP

Comment by RaspberryKisses
    06:19 26/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

i absolutely love AT Qoga! Gonna start second playthrough soon so don't care about PSN much.

11:55 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

For many gamers, it's all about online rank and accumulating Achievements/Trophies for online boasting. Read Xbox forums and you'll quickly find people who admit to playing some games just to get easy Gamerscore points, and Trophies were the most important thing on Playstation forums. I suspect that many gamers wouldn't see the point to playing a single player game for fun.

Comment by Satonaka
    15:38 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I play FFXI and this mentality exists there as well.

There's a specific expansion on XI called "Chains of Promathia" that many XI gamers agree would probably be the best storyline SE had to offer. Cue in one elitist who just finished the last boss in the expansion, cue the AWESOME cutscene with a vocal soundtrack ending, which they havn't done since, and man you got one kick ass ending scene... but all he cares about is "ok this is fine and all, but how do i fast forward this to get my prize."

Tis' sad...

Gone are the days when a random person would just play for fun, because back then, ALL games were played this way offline. Sure invite a few friends over for some Goldeneye and kick ass or get ass kicked, so what, it was all fun.

Now we got Trophies and Gamerscore getting in the way of good clean fun. Nothing wrong with achievements mind you, but some people treat it as a way of life and brag about their "second prestige and platinum trophies."

16:50 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree those trophies and crap are bullshit because they ruin the fun of gaming.

what server? I'm on leviathan

21:26 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm with you ! I'm still playing AT Qoga and enjoy every minutes of it !

Comment by Demi-Rebel 72
    13:46 26/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Like I said in other post on other sites, I don't give two shit about the PSN down, hell might as well be down for a month for all I care. I also own a PS3 myself but I prefer playing a game offline single-player style. Beside, this is all Sony's fault this happened anyway due to their past stupid mistakes which led up to this problem they're having.

05:54 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

remember same shit happened to MS and lasted 17 days

Comment by Palmtop Tiger
    06:06 26/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

[citation needed]

06:39 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

outage was for about two weeks over the holiday season and all people got from microsoft to make up for it was a really crappy dino xbl arcade game.

06:59 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

doesent say anywhere about 17 days, bad troll is bad. That downtime they where sude for was the 17h downtime.

07:53 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

sensitive fanboy is sensitive

09:32 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The Xbox Live issues weren't nearly as bad. Their service didn't go completely offline, but was just being slow during that time, with some people having difficulty connecting. It was supposedly just due to not having enough server capacity to handle the large number of people connecting during the Holiday season, but their service didn't go offline.

In the case of the current PSN outage, the entire service has been completely out for everyone, for the better part of a week already. It's also supposedly due to a security breach, and I've heard Sony has been unable to confirm whether or not people's credit card information may have been compromised. I'd say that certainly sounds more severe than what happened with Microsoft's service.

This was for one game and was over as soon as they added more servers.

PSN is down because Sony can't build a reliable network. PSN always felt tacked on anyway and this just goes to show you that you get what you pay for. After this I know I'm not trusting Sony with my CC info anymore. Everything will be prepay from now on.

09:17 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL, remember they didnt get taken down by anonymous, then said it wasn't anonymous... then didn't get taken down again for an unknown amount of time because they were being conceded.

God I love that I have both a ps3 and xbox otherwise my netflix would almost be useless

08:39 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's ok guys now you'll have time to get laid, instead of watching "distrubingly sexualized young girls massacred by censors"

I've used xbox live for 5 years; at no point have I had longer than 12 hours of down time which was scheduled and notice was given prior too, I spent about 15 minutes browsing google for the longest downtime; the longest time I could see was 12 hours.
    Back in 2007 some people had connection issues at Christmas for 3 days on halo 3 although nothing was ever down, Microsoft apologizing and gave the game undertow free too all users for 2 weeks; what do you think Sony's going to do? can you prove your claim in anyway that is down for 17 days, or even a full day? or are you just a sad troll?

I don't care about online play although I enjoy the psn store...

Comment by TheBeast
    09:21 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

if you have a playstation and have netflix on it. you can bypass the need to be logged into the PSN to view it. just press X on the netflix app. it'll ask you to sign in. attempt to sign in. it'll fail. press O to go back one time. netflix will continue to load. it'll ask you a second time. attempt again. it'll fail. press O one time. after that, the interface will load and you will have access to your netflix. there will be no more interruptions once the app is running. it took me 3 days to figure that out. so i offer it here free. peace guys.

14:04 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

At times like these I am happy about two things: 1 - that I can play either xbox or ps3, and 2 - that online doesn't govern my gaming because I like to chose games that are already spectacular on their own, and the online is just a bonus. Too many games out there these days feel like the online is the only focus of the creators, and so the single-player mode fees horribly short and un-finished.

Oh, and does anyone else think that maybe this downtime is due to the recent attempt to combine steam and psn, and someone along the way fucked it all up and sony is too proud to admit it? That's my theory

06:42 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sony has sent reports to game developers more or less saying they have to completely rebuild the network from scratch and will be sending more information about how new games are to be programed.

06:09 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well it's not a big deal for me. Hope it comes back up soon.

13:00 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"whilst crowing"

You mean telling the truth. According Garmasutra XBL traffic has increased 30% since last week with the only real reason being Sonys shut down.

Comment by Shima-kun989
    12:44 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

At first, I thought nothing of these outages, then

"Microsoft for its part has graciously called the outage “regretful” whilst crowing that it expects to see “an increase of traffic""

i c what u did thar~