Fukushima Cannibal Cats Shock Animal Lovers

fukushima-animals-mosaic.jpg

The plight of Japanese refugees evacuated from disaster areas is well known, but less well known is the plight of abandoned animals, now starving and reduced to cannibalism.

The Minister of the Environment has belatedly requested efforts be made to retrieve abandoned animals from disaster areas, whilst charities have already begun rescue operations, but for some animals these efforts are far too late.

Rescuers encountered a number of pet cats which had been devoured by their fellows:

fukushima-animals-001.jpg
fukushima-animals-002.jpg
fukushima-animals-003.jpg
fukushima-animals-004.jpg

Starving cats and dogs generally eat any carrion available – there are even cases of unfed cats eating their dead (and in some very unfortunate cases, still living) owners on record.

Others were luckier:

fukushima-animals-017.jpg
fukushima-animals-018.jpg
fukushima-animals-019.jpg
fukushima-animals-020.jpg
fukushima-animals-021.jpg
fukushima-animals-022.jpg

Abandoned farm animals have also fared poorly where left indoors:

Cat loving Japanese are predictably distraught:

“What!”

“How did they get into locked houses?”

“They broke in if they got requests from pet owners.”

“If my cat ended up like that I would be so traumatised…”

“Poor things, abandoned by their owners!”

“They can’t help it, animals aren’t allowed in the shelters. Blame it on Tepco and the state.”

“Why weren’t they taken when they evacuated though?”

“The government said ‘You can come back in 2-3 days!’…”

“It’s horrible…”

“I wonder if they were eaten after dying or were killed and then eaten?”

“Shocking pictures. But it’s a given they’ll resort to cannibalism with no food.”

“Don’t dogs eat each other?”

“Dogs never resort to cannibalism no matter how starved. They never eat humans either. Maybe a stray will eat a human corpse, but in general they never eat other dogs.”

“Now I know how we should execute the staff of Tepco.”

“Cat’s aren’t cannibals! I’ve never seen a cat eat meat. They were probably eaten by dogs.”

“What…”

“Don’t stray cats spend all their time chowing on birds?”

“And mice…”

“I don’t know if it was alive at the time, but our cat happily chowed down on its own stillborn kitten…”

“Gyaaaaaaah…”

“That’s just like them eating their own placentas or something though.”

“Rabbits can reabsorb their own foetuses in times of crisis.”

“Seems it was only indoor cats who suffered this. The dogs all got turned out it seems.”

“It’s a bit sad it took a month to get to this… 2 weeks at least would have been acceptable.”

“If you’re going to take videos of starving cattle at least let them out of their pens…”

“To think these cats lived together as fellow pets! Animals in extremis really show their true nature!”

“It’s to be expected. There are plenty of cases of people forced to eat human flesh to stay alive.”

Comment by AngelsThesis
    20:58 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

ugh, for once the censorship was actually warning me of something

Comment by Shippoyasha
    21:16 16/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Before the good old days of Sankaku when it did so without cynicism. I miss the old days. XD

21:27 16/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Reminiscing about the good old days gramps.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    21:43 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

3 years is so long in internet-age. XD

21:52 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Back in my day.........i forgot what i was gonna say. :3

21:10 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn :( agreed.

Comment by obro
    21:10 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah that was surprising for me to

Comment by Megidola
    01:37 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The fact that the head and paws remain intact while the rest of the body is a skeleton just adds to the gross/bizarre effect.

Comment by HouseLife
    20:42 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'm curious how they know they were cannibalized. It's unclear how they came about knowing that happened. If there was a closed house with two cats and one looked like in those pictures, that makes sense, but it's not very clear from what we have here.

Makes sense though, cats eat their dead stillborn babies for the nutrition when they're giving birth, and realistically, why not? Not doing anyone any good being a corpse that will rot. May as well make good use of it.

Comment by Shippoyasha

Cats are known to be carnivorous. Some especially violent Queen or any type of pack leader has known to engage in that behavior plus there's the moments of crises. Dogs don't carnivorize nearly as much. There's stories of dogs starving to death without them consuming the other body at times.

Canine sense of social belonging is much more loyal to humans and to one another to do so. Also to be noted that dogs are a notch smarter than cats, especially as far as social functions go. So that might make them a bit less carnal in times of crisis.

03:45 02/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I would possibly believe that if my dog hadn't just ran into the wall. =_=

Comment by Sylar
    07:25 21/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Dog person full of shit detected. There is no evidence dogs are smarter than cats. And there are many cases dogs eaten people.

Comment by Gitami
    20:34 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

Cat person denial made me lol.

If you have food for them, they'll be your best friend. If you don't have food for them, you'll be their best food.

14:00 17/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Cats are strict carnivores and unlike dogs will die if they do not eat meat. I have seen times where cats have and will eat still born kittens. So cannibalism isn't impossible.

Dog's will eat smaller dogs and even humans. Whoever said they don't eat humans is an idiot. A relative of mine died in their basement with the door shut and their dog with them. When she was found the dog had eaten parts of her face and body.

Being a hunter I can say that some of these cat skeletons were butchered. A dog of any kind would have eaten or broken more bones. And a cat would have eaten more than just the body area. The area where meat is missing is how a butcher would cut the prime meat off of an animal. The other ones however were done by an animal by looking at the pulled fur and the pattern of what was eaten.

Comment by Roy
    20:49 16/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

haha yup, cats are carnivores, unlike dogs which are omnivores :)

Comment by Godot
    21:26 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

You know my cat like vegetables. They eat potatoes to leafy greens.

22:32 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

My cat too. He eats brocoli and watermelon.

04:26 17/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

According to my vet: Cat eats what it get used to eat at younger age.

I had a sick young cat and I need to kept her on vegetable diet and voilá, she kept eating vegetables after. It doesn't mean you can fool a cat making it eat plastic bags and starve to death, also my parents' cat never got fish at young age and he never eats it.
    The pics above shows dead animals, not cannibal animals. It could be anything that eat them. Tho I'm sure if two cats are closed in a room without food for a month... I still highly doubt that they would fight to the death just to eat the other.

01:28 17/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

My cat eat anything, he is so easy to tend, you can give him anything, from rice crust, chicken fodder to old t-shirt and shoes. He will eat them...

Comment by henwy
    22:50 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Yeah. Try feeding them nothing but that and see how long they survive. Dogs can live with a meat-free diet. Cat's can't.

Comment by 美しい音
    23:30 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

And my cat doesn't eat anything but meat. Let's face it, they're still predators by nature. And they like to hunt ghosts and shadows at late evenings and knock down plant vases.
    If you'll give them raw/boiled meat, they'll eat it with great enthusiasm. My cat actually gets pissed if we don't give him some meat on a daily basis.

05:53 17/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Hmm...

If these pets are exposed to radiation, mutated and become man eating mutants.

*shiver*

Comment by BlaqCat
    04:30 17/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

My cat gets dry food most of the time, and meat once or twice a week. Maybe this is why she acts out all the time?

01:25 18/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

So it gives a whole new meaning to the prhase "ating pussie".

01:53 17/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

"He eats brocoli and watermelon."

"..watermelon."

Excuse me, sir but I think this may be your cat [http://www.nastyhobbit.org/data/media/13/cat-watermelon.jpg].

Comment by Misakite
    16:54 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Radiation turning them to zombie animals.

13:56 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I fed my pet cat both meats and veggies.But,to be more on subject of the article. It kind of makes me sad when I see things like this. I mean, for some people those were probably the thing they had to keep them company and keep them happy. Messed up, just so messed up.

00:43 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

My cat gets cantalope every night for dinner.

04:14 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What am I reading!? You people are telling that you don't feed your cats with meat, and you don't even find it regrettable? You should go to health check your cats as soon as possible because they could suffer from liver and, most likely, kidney problems. If your cats wont live their normal life span, please don't blame their bad genes or any other excuses =/

07:06 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

cats are actually omnivores too
    but they're choosy in their foods
    i once give my cat rice with curry to give the rice a flavor, my cat finished it

14:18 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

they're going to eat wherever you give them, but cats and dogs are carnivores

Comment by seisei
    07:19 18/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

jujuju I love to see how ignorant people could be, and still, they talk about things they don't know about.
    Cats and dogs are omnivorous. They eat what they are used to eat, and is very rare that they turn to cannibalism or this kind of predation... but is not impossible.

23:58 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Obviusly, you think Lion and Tiger were from Dogs Family are you

Comment by Sylar
    07:19 21/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And what about wolfs genius? Besides cats can find food for themselves when in hunger a lot better than any dog can. They can kill bugs and staff to eat and get by.

01:08 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't think our buddy every heard of cats hunting mice.

01:55 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't think you have a cat. Maybe a deer or a panda bear. Check out your animal. If it is a cat it will be rather small and furry with standing-up ears. It purrs and has a rough tongue. It eats meat and fish and has a preference for mice and birds. Cat milk is extremely high in protein. Do you think that is because it is a carnivore?

08:15 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Either you starve to death, or you find sustenance wherever available. It's called survival of the fittest, sadly. Take a human for example. Most would consider eating their companion(s) when stranded in the middle of nowhere with no way out before resorting to eating their own limbs in an attempt to to stay alive.

06:17 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

My friend in Afghanistan hates cats more than anything in the whole world. Because on the field they eat at all the corpses. Friend or foe.

10:33 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the probabilities that a cat recur to cannivalism are too high... its a predator from origin, not then too "genetically trained" as Dogs :x

23:25 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's just silly talk, my cat eats raw meat all the time.

04:09 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. Whomever said cats are not meat eaters obviously has NO clue how bad they actually can be. Ring up Austria for instance. Cats are hunters. Though, I'm sure best friend pet animals will not wantonly kill each other. But when one dies. It's just meat. People would eat their own pets in the case, if it came down to it. As much as you loved it, if it's already dead, no need for it's passing to go to waste.

Lol cat owner thinks cat food isn't made out of meat.

20:57 16/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

The government : "You can come back in 2-3 centu..DAYS! My tongue slipped... Tehehe!Sorry!:3"
    The dog's owner : Sooo cuute! :)
    The dog : -_-'

08:17 17/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Wow.... it really is a dog eat dog world eh?

Comment by CC
    20:38 16/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Leaving a cat behind is understandable as those tend to be outdoors. Leaving your dog behind however.. I just don't get why you wouldn't it take it with you.

Comment by HouseLife
    20:50 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

As they said, no pets allowed in the refugee locations. Hastened evacuations by authorities, not having saved up money to stay in a place that can handle them, all manner of unfortunate reasons. And as that poster mentioned, they were told they could be back in 2-3 days. That one was probably the big one. Toss down a bunch of food, and say "I'll be back soon, sweetie, just going on a trip!" and that trip ends up being a month. You wouldn't think to leave a door open for them if they don't have a cat door.

Just probably a bunch of very unfortunate circumstances for those specific cases.

Comment by Keima88
    21:00 16/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

But there are people who are trying to bring their pets with them.
    I read somewhere about a lady hidding a cockatiel in her bra, during the hurricane Katrina evacuation.

Comment by HouseLife
    21:04 16/04/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Find me the Japanese woman who could fit one of those dogs in her bra... and I will be very interested in making sure she's picked up by a JAV company :D

19:19 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

*And the article is not about birds...*

*cockatiel is a bird*

Pets arent allowed in refugee locations but he was talking about people trying to sneak their pets in regardless of the rules.

Birds - pets Get the picture?

14:13 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And the article is not about birds...

12:04 17/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

cockatiel is a bird

21:59 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

You wouldn't leave your door open also due to the fact that you'd probably get looted as well. Especially since you don't know how long you will be gone.

Personally i'd just lock the cats outside if i had to, maybe drop some food out there, at least outside there's a fighting chance. There's a few strays in my neighborhood that get around easily, one that even managed to raise a few kittens.

21:09 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

^ This ^

Most possible they leave their pet inside the house with everything closed (obviously with some opening for fresh air) for either he don't get out (and probably loss) and to don't let other wild animals get in (and probably kill your pet).

For my dog (small one) a bag of 2,7Kg of food last like 20 days, but without a human diet control, it will last at least 10 days, the same with water.

TL;DR: Put those TEPCO idiots in a house, close it for a month without food and water and enjoy some sweet revenge.

00:46 17/04/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

whassup faggot