23 Reasons Not To Wear a T-Shirt with Trendy Japanese Text

nihongo-t-shirts-002.jpg

Japanese bemused by the often bizarre choice of text many barbarians select (knowingly or unknowingly) for their trendy Japanese language T-shirts provide what they consider 23 of the worst examples.

The shirts:

nihongo-t-shirts-001.jpg

“Watashi hentai” – “I, hentai.”

nihongo-t-shirts-002.jpg

“Kyokon” – “huge dick,” perhaps unintentionally accurate.

nihongo-t-shirts-003.jpg

Literally meaning “huge root,” it is at least genuine slang.

nihongo-t-shirts-004.jpg

nihongo-t-shirts-005.jpg

“Super Top” – this is actually an advert for a brand of washing powder…

nihongo-t-shirts-006.png

“Tokyo-na” – sufficiently meaningless as to elicit amusement from any Japanese speaker.

nihongo-t-shirts-007.jpg

“Kono yarou, shiharae!” – “Pay up you bastard!”

nihongo-t-shirts-008.jpg

“Aji no Moto” -  Ajinomoto (“origin of taste”) is the brand and company name of the world’s first and leading producer of monosodium glutamate, actually invented in Japan in 1907.

nihongo-t-shirts-009.jpg

“Kichiku Beihei” – “Brutal American soldier,” topping the list of what not to wear on a trip to Okinawa.

nihongo-t-shirts-010.jpg

“Kichiku Beiei” – “Vicious Anglo-American brute.”

nihongo-t-shirts-011.jpg

“Mainichi ga jigoku desu♥” – “Everyday is hell♥”

nihongo-t-shirts-012.png

“Kyokudo kansou shinasai” – “Dry as much as possible!”

nihongo-t-shirts-013.jpg

nihongo-t-shirts-014.jpg

“… wa hentai de aru” – “… is a pervert.”

nihongo-t-shirts-015.jpg

“Hentai” – “Pervert.”

nihongo-t-shirts-016.jpg

“Otaku” – “Virgin.”

nihongo-t-shirts-017.jpg

“Hakkaa” – “Poseur.”

nihongo-t-shirts-018.jpg

“Jiko Ken’o” – “Self loathing.”

nihongo-t-shirts-019.jpg

nihongo-t-shirts-020.jpg

“Nihonjin kanojo boshuuchuu” – the famous “Seeking Japanese girlfriend” T-shirt.

nihongo-t-shirts-021.jpg

“Fuhounyuukokusha” – “Illegal alien,” probably not a good choice for actual wear inside Japan.

nihongo-t-shirts-023.png

“Watashi wa nihonjin desu” – “I am a Japanese person.”

nihongo-t-shirts-022.jpg

“Ji” – “Haemorrhoids.”

Those looking to emulate these examples need look no further than J-List’s disturbingly extensive selection.

Whether any of this is actually worse than the notorious Engrish phrases plastered all over Japanese clothing is a matter of some debate – behold Aya Hirano’s own contribution to the discussion:

nihongo-t-shirts-024.jpg
nihongo-t-shirts-025.jpg
nihongo-t-shirts-026.jpg

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    18:22 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Well...

Least it ain't tattoos...

of course, didn't Rotten.com's motto used to be "At least we don't have pictures of people eating babies"...?

Comment by Artefact

Maybe we'll do some of those later...

20:31 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

That reminds me the situation from many years ago, when one girl from our local fandom wanted to have some cool japanese text on her t-shirt, so she copied some text from a box of chinese tea. It amused a lot a chinese tourists that visited our city. They explained to her, that she wrote: "I'm cheap, tasty and fast in preparation" :).

02:17 14/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

With the economies of the world the way they are, things that are cheap, tasty, and fast in preparation are good things.

Comment by Alexeon
    01:41 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL Weabos will be weabos.

02:39 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

now that is funny shit dude

04:24 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Got back from Kyoto last week. The best I saw this time was a random skater's hoodie-- "The ocean and love surfers are all our friends." The hell? In bright pink and purple, too. The poor lad must not know how fail this is. :(

Comment by motaku96
    16:51 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

“Otaku” – “Virgin.”

Ohyou.jpg

17:28 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

There's something classy about the simplistic 'Ji' - 'Haemorrhoids'.
    Straight to the point.

21:33 13/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Is it ironic that the hoody is red?

05:08 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Possibly a reference to Azumanga, there was an arc about the "ji" kanji.

00:52 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it's more of a warning then.

Comment by Chris
    20:57 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Anyone who uses the word otaku like it's cool is definitely a virgin for life.

03:04 18/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No I'm not. I bet I got laid more times untill today than you will ever XD

17:11 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's funny because it's true

Comment by AVEN
    17:24 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

...that means that the guy in the picture are you?

18:49 13/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

This is nothing compared to one time when I was working at a hotel in Okinawa, Japan. There was a class trip down to there and I saw one girl wear a shirt in big letters saying "FUCK ME". She was cute too. No wonder the rape rate is so high in Japan.

17:46 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

under what analysis did you come to that conclusion?

Comment by SOTER
    17:56 13/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Probably He has some empirical evidence. Maybe He's a monkey that lives in Your wardrobe.

Comment by Knets
    02:07 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's why I have such hard time finding clothes in Asia... its either broken Japanese (outside of Japan) or broken other foreign language (including in Japan)...

Comment by Phrantick
    07:12 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

18:49
    I went to Sweden a few years ago to visit my family and while I was up there, I saw a boy who looked like he was 10 years old. He was wearing a t-shirt which said: "Fuck you! I drive a Yamaha!" That was probably the funniest part of any vacation I ever went on.

21:26 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's no rape if she's asking for it.

Comment by VVayfarer
    01:28 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

21:26

No shit.

20:22 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

the difference between the japs wearing stupid English shirts, and the westerners in these photos, is that nearly all of the people shown most likely know exactly what they mean in Japanese, and is the reason they are wearing them.

09:42 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Me and some friends have T-shirts like those and know their meaning and wear them anyways. My favoriteis a (Hentai Inside) T-shirt parodying the Intel Inside logo.

09:53 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"most likely know exactly what they mean in Japanese"
    Nope, a lot aren't even written correctly. The only demonstrated difference is we're extra arrogant about being stupid.

15:29 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I was under the impression that these t-shirts were made as jokes.

03:26 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah sure dumbass

14:11 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This does not applied to the kid wearing a T-shirt that says "hemorrhoid".

05:36 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

with that cool shirt she's wearing, i think aya just got another fan...me.

12:06 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Definitely agree here - TWO shirts bother me.
    The first with "everyday is hell"... that guy is Japanese. He is one of the performers that shows up at Buddhist temples.
    The second is of the two dudes with "illegal alien" written in Japanese AND English.
    I'm pretty sure they know what it means, considering the translation is directly below!

23:29 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

so you'd wear a washing powder brand T-shirt on purpose?

.... I'd do if it was a good quality shirt actually

22:31 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I would do it if it was a decent quality t-shirt, if I loved the washing powder brand. Hell, there's even this terrific pine-tar soap I think isn't getting enough attention, I would love to wear a retro-ad type print t-shirt with it. I also wouldn't mind wearing a shirt proclaiming the awesome of gall-soap. Those have removed so many stains I couldn't get out otherwise. Oh, and a t-shirt with the molecule for sodium bicarbonate soda would be really nice.

Or a shirt proclaiming the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide with a link to any of the DHMO sites... :D

I know some guy who wears his favorite "Tide" T-shirt once a week, buddy fucking loves that shit on his day off. I guess some people just like rep'in their detergent *shrugs*

Comment by Alexeon
    01:45 14/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I wear a Coca-Cola logo t-shirt. Gotta represent.

09:54 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

bitches dont kno bout my coke

04:22 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah, i remember those tide t-shirts were hot in the states around 1993.

15:24 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Tide is actually the first thing I thought of when I say that shirt.

I wear my old Dr. Pepper hat all the fucking time.

I'm representin'

Comment by ppayne
    17:49 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

Heh, some of our best J-List shirts here, including ones from a long time ago. I once wore my "No Gaijin Allowed" on the plane back to Japan. It was quite fun, seeing the expressions on the faces of the officials at Narita.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    18:55 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It's always fun trolling people. :3

Comment by Rakshasa
    19:52 13/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I so want the 不法入国者 shirt for my trip to the tokyo immigration office this week... Especially since I'm technically illegal while they're processing my extension application. ^_^

21:28 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, I want that one too.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:59 13/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Love your store Peter!

In fact, the first thing that popped in my head reading this article was the T-shirts in your store. XD

Comment by PhillB
    04:39 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know about J-list.

Several years ago I tried to contact you many times to discuss some custom items, but you never replied to me.

It wasn't until I took a trip to Japan that I managed to make some "friends" with "Benefits" and I can finally get whatever I want, as long as I don't make business out of this.

22:37 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh. My boyfriend used to wear his "expel the barbarians on the order of the emperor" (or whatever that print was) to his classes in Japanese just for fun.

Comment by cats2
    23:15 13/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Shouldn't you be fucking spamming other random message boards about how you're going to "get them" for piracy and the like? Much less trying to shell out every bit of garbage you can..? I remember moderating forums and seeing you create accounts to support your opinions/provide examples for your points, all while keeping the same exact IP..

You sound like a sockpuppet to me. Check cats2's IP!

19:00 13/04/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

“Watashi hentai” – “I, hentai.”

The little girl walks the path. :3

Comment by Kuro'Base'Neko
    21:11 13/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Gaijin are stupid.

22:48 13/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

No, the people that make those T-Shirts and logo's are stupid.

For more silly fun: http://www.engrish.com

10:07 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it just as cute when a Japanese girl wears the wrong spelled japan shirt? I think I might like that shirt on an American too.

12:00 14/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"“Nihonjin kanojo boshuuchuu” – the famous “Seeking Japanese girlfriend” T-shirt"

Aww what?? I thought this one was pretty good. I actually have one myself, along with many other people apparently.