Top 10 Things Which Bug Otaku About Other Otaku

ronery-otaku

Otaku quizzed on what it is they find irritating about other otaku supply a helpful ranking of some of the best ways in which otaku can annoy one another.

The ranking:

1. The times they get names or explanations about things a little wrong

2. When they play dumb after pretending to know something

3. When you see them successfully impressing the opposite sex by coming out with obscure knowledge

4. They immediately condemn something they know practically nothing about – “that’s no good, is it?”

5. They talk smugly about something everyone knows anyway

6. When they start criticising other otaku for being “too desperate”

7. They try to convince you of something with the “I know someone in the industry” line of argument

8. They call themselves otaku despite only knowing about mainstream stuff

10. They just agree with everything you say

20:14 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"8. They call themselves otaku despite only knowing about mainstream stuff"

I thought they were called narutards. :3

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    20:38 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Well "mainstream", as far as I understand, includes the usual late night broadcasts and popular comics that have been around for years.

Perhaps, to call yourselves one, you'd have have to plunge deeper into the arts, show the love for your 2D waifu in an extreme way or do something entirely regretful publicly.

22:02 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Generally speaking, mainstream generally refers to ones that air during prime time, or a time when most are watching TV.

i doubt late nite would classify as mainstream when only a handful are watching thou (in general). But considering anime, most if not all air late nite.

Comment by dootsy
    08:16 28/03/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Rayearth was hugely popular a few years back. Damn kids these days don't remember anything from more than five years ago.

Comment by demonhaseo
    07:01 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Basically what Yoshii is saying is you gatta know some of the more "Obscure" titles that most turn a blind eye too. Series like Rayearth for example (it may not be as obscure as I am thinking... but I've asked afew people if they knew that series at conventions and I got people scratching their heads so... eh)

21:20 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Naruto?
    whuzzat?D:

14:42 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

mainstream stuff = anything that airs on cartoon network.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    23:09 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Prime time slots are a gimme. Late night shows can also be considered "mainstream" if one only knows titles thats been broadcasted, and doesn't delve further into other "streams" like doujinshi, GK, figure circles, cons, seiyuu, vocal, cosplay, (etc) and even hentai.

But "mainstream" tends to differ from circles to individuals.

22:39 27/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Kinda surprised me, that the most things are about "Pretends to know more than me, that´s annoying because I know more!"

I expected something like. "He claims my beloved [insert popular 2D Char] waifu would belong to him. "

07:55 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I like how number 8 and 9 are on that list and of course the top comment from Sankaku Complex is about 8. Hipsters much?

07:08 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh my, there's hierarchy everywhere, isn't there?

Comment by torappu
    07:13 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Comparing things and defining which is better/more important or classifying people/genres/everything into hierarchies is one of the most natural things to Man, at least in the majority of our surroundings (I do not know the entire world, so I can't assume with no doubts that a small group of people on a secluded island would be behaving the same way if they were brought up separated from the rest of the world).

So yep, it's pretty much everywhere, but it can be quite useful if it's for good/personal purposes.

03:54 29/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think you are correct. The human mind likes to put things into catagories. similar to a computer system, if the brain needs to reference the knowledge, having it separated into catagories makes it easier to identify/find data about, so most of our thought process can just be like an autopilot response to things based on what we identify the object to be, and what we have learned about how to deal with it.

So I think this sort of thing would exist no matter where you look in the world. Perfect example of something like this is Lord of the Flies.

21:07 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

haha.. agree those stupid bastard who think they know anything ... !

04:46 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

OH YOSHII YOU MORON :Dc

Comment by RIP Grape-kun
    20:00 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"9. When they start going on about how they knew about something before it became popular"

Oh God, Japan has hipsters too!

20:11 27/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Oh yeah, I knew Japan had hipsters WAAAY before this.

20:42 27/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

That's nothing, I know someone in the industry who knew about it before you, trust me, he's an expert.

21:50 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Oh please.
    I was badmouthing hipsters before they even existed. Now that everyone's doing it, I gave up and became a hipster.

...Did I win?

Comment by dootsy
    08:19 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I was one of the original hipsters from the 1940s who'd go hang out with the black kids just to be cool and edgy, but now that black people are mainstream I don't like them anymore. ^_^

Comment by rumblingsauce
    08:36 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Please, people. I was badmouthing hipsters, knowing guys who hung out with...hipster type........ahh, forget it, I got nothin.

Comment by toyNN
    10:54 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What's a hipster?

10:40 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a hipster

Comment by fakegaijin
    08:20 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I stopped caring about hipsters before people before the use of the word hipsters was ever made.

14:48 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

*Sigh* none of you fags on here are hipsters end of story.

Comment by Gitami
    02:52 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You ⑨!

07:06 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Go to DMC Hipsters ^_^ lol

Comment by Xzone
    20:21 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha, that's the one I liked the most too.

Comment by Bigall
    20:14 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's not new, Japan has always been a country of hipsters...

Comment by deadbeat
    21:59 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

those scene kids....

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    20:19 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

8. They call themselves otaku despite only knowing about mainstream stuff

This should be No.1 by international standards.

Comment by Sorrior
    21:57 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

IO second this it was the VERY one i was gonna mention. Drives me nuts seeing posts on other with people saying they really like anime and want some more anime and then they say "I liked bleach and naruto and i want more like em with no real drama and plenty of action" my response is generally "THEN YOU DON'T REALLY LIKE ANIME NOW GO WATCH A HOLLYWOOD MOVIE YOU ASSHOLE" at least in my head it is. However i do generally try and guide em towards some good stuff instead of saying that. Pisses me off so much i swear.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    22:04 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

You need a Morning Coffee Lescue

Comment by TenguSan
    23:40 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I say "desu" alot, so i KNOW i am an otaku desu~

Hint: sarcasm

Comment by Neonie
    22:51 27/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"I SAW BLEACH ON ADULT SWIM ONCE, I'M TOTALLY AN OTAKU RIGHT?!"

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    01:58 28/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

lol @ all comments

Comment by TFish
    02:12 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I feel the exact same way. It's like all those celebrities that you see talking about "Oh I was a total nerd back in high school." I'm always just thinking, do you even know what you're talking about? Just because you weren't the coolest person in school doesn't make you a nerd, and I don't know who they're really trying to impress by saying that.

Comment by 666
    05:06 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You wanna be on top? Japan's next top otaku! With Takeshi Kitano, Aya Hirano and that guy from pic as Tyra Banks.

02:46 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh, people spam that dumb CM so much just because it was in a sub. You're missing out on Miku CMs, and funny ones for games/anime/etc as well.

Comment by Pyrus
    23:57 27/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Everyone has those one or two shows that gets them hooked on anime. Having been hooked, they now want to join the crowd. Go easy on them.

20:32 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Why wouldn't someone head traight for NGE. It was among the first shows I watched and I had no problems with it.

01:57 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually that's the first one I saw (not counting Sailor Moon back when I was 12). And it blew my mind. And I've never been curious about Naruto/Bleach.
    Just wanted to point out that it IS possible :P

04:16 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ZA WARUDO!!

Comment by Nindotaku
    04:27 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Strangely...I was one of those that watched NGE as my first Japanese anime(I remember watching Eng pokemon/digimon but nvr knew what anime was at that age)...and finding out all I could abt NGE (even the long radio drama which was not that well known at that time and even now amongst the EVA fans I know... made me feel I was one of those 'instant' otakus...

I sort of took some pride in not being confused the slightest by NGE...I could even empathize with shinji at that time so it was meaningful at that time.

02:42 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh nowdays they would... NGE became to.... i can't even say it as an NGE fan.... oh the world!! >.<

Well, nobody would head straight to NGE...

02:11 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

if 8 is the first international standard, then "11. otaku level others a lot" should be either first or second

21:35 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They dont want to be called otaku, even they obviusly are one.

The Reverse of the no 8. is annoying to

05:59 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Silly anon, otaku is an insult not a badge of honor. It's like being annoyed when a black dude doesn't appreciate being called "nigger." :p

06:18 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But (the stupid) black dudes are TOTALLY okay calling each other nigger, as are western anime/manga fans being called otaku.

03:33 29/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it is simply shorter and ppl easily understand (and we dont really care if we are otaku as the general audience doesnt even know that term)

08:20 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed on this too.

20:49 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So very agree!

22:17 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can say that I am too

22:04 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

8. They call themselves otaku despite only knowing about mainstream stuff

Lots of western idiots who are like this..

23:22 27/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

You mean, like... 95% of the people serving Sankaku, right? Yeah I am with you there.

Comment by 666
    05:53 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

^_^

08:20 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Richard Queso is my hero

05:39 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

90% of everything(everyone) is shit, including the other 10%.

04:45 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

including himself right?

Comment by TenguSan
    23:38 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i think all of that list would annoy anyone, otaku or not

02:00 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, this is the only one that pisses me off.

04:33 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Calling yourself an otaku automatically makes you not an otaku.

Otaku have a disease that consists mostly of denial, they try to justify spending habits that are (usually) out of control or unjustifiable (too many dakis, too many figures, too many char.vocal cds). In general though the otaku galleries and the people who line up for big sight events and all that: they are hard hard core otaku but they wont admit it and dont believe it. Its easily comporable to the perception of themselves held by: sluts, bad politicians, really rich people, sports celebrities, celebrities

8.1: They call themselves as otaku

Comment by Sorrior
    17:41 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So you're saying that even though i spend over 150 dollars a month MINIMUM on manga and over 200 dollars on games and a few hundred on anime i'm not an otaku because i call myself one? Oh i should add it comes to more than 20k worth of anime manga and games. Yeaaah ok that sure as hell doesn't sound like an otaku to me.

20:30 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Sorrior

The fact that you seem so proud about how much money you spend makes you sound like a prick, not an otaku.

If I was you I would be embarrassed about bragging about how you are trying to be an otaku.

C'mon, honestly who brags about their manga and video game purchases?

FYI/PS: some of us here actually buy 'real' ota-goods, notice we don't brag about it?

18:21 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Being an otaku isn't something to brag about, nor is it some title that is acquired by spending money. You either are or you aren't. Not sure what you're trying to prove by bragging about how much money you spend on anime, manga, and games.

02:38 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn, and here I thought I was a pretty cool guy for knowing about Lucky Star and Gurren Lagann :(((((((((((((

04:45 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

how long ago? before fatasses started quoting it?

06:00 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol item #9