One Piece Readers “90% Adults”

• Author: Artefact
  • Categories: Uncategorized
  • Date: Feb 10, 2011 08:52 JST

one-piece-readership-1.jpg

Statistics reveal only a small minority of One Piece readers are actually the children Shonen Jump is normally considered as targeted at – instead, almost 90% are adults, with the manga boasting more elderly than juvenile readers.

The readership statistics:

1-18: 12%

19-29: 43%

30-49: 32%

50+: 13%

The popularity of Japan’s most top-selling manga would appear to be almost entirely due to its broad adult readership.

one-piece-readership-4.jpg

one-piece-readership-2.jpg

one-piece-readership-3.jpg

one-piece-readership-5.jpg

Comment by Kamiya
    09:14 10/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Well, One piece did start at 1997, so all those kids that got into it since the beginning are like 18+ right now... also, one piece is pretty good, so it still attracts people.
    And considering the quality of newer mangas... One Piece is epic

Comment by alidan
    11:35 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

newer jump manga, got to clarify that.

Comment by Lejambre
    09:49 10/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It's kind of obvious, 10 years of One Piece after all.

It doesn't matter if the anime is good or not. I just don't get it why those people have to tell to the whole world they don't like it.

Some like it and some not... live with it.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:30 10/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I find the anime to be pretty good actually. Just because it has failed to truly take off in the west doesn't really mean a whole lot of the actual product.

Also, I support magical girl anime well into adulthood as well. I guess I also kind of chalk that up to being a fan of it during childhood.

Comment by HouseLife
    16:57 10/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I remember the exact moment I realized how incredible One Piece was. There was something in it that I couldn't put my finger on that made it something more than most of the others out there, books included. And that something was almost in contrast to its style, and the true oddity was the contrast helped it even more.

The moment was on the snow island when they were climbing the mountain and they came past a giant creature with a cane I believe it was. It just walked by them nonchalantly, and while the others were freaking out, the native who was escorting them treated it like the most natural thing in the world. Somehow that moment made it all click that this story was far beyond just an epic. It had managed to surreptitiously develop an entire world, and ecosystems that not only worked individually in each island/continent, but were consistent across the planet, regardless of how different they all were.

That takes levels of awareness and ability that is beyond most peoples abilities. There are dozens of other reasons it's special in and of itself as a series, but that moment above all others was where I understood that the guy really is a genius, regardless of if people like the series or not.

07:30 11/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I for one thought the creator of one piece was not just another mangaka at the scene where they put fire on the merry-go.... never have i shed tears for an inanimate object than at that time

Comment by TFish
    00:51 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's funny you noticed that at the snow island part. Because the whole season themed islands arc was when I stopped enjoying it and thought it was getting a little to weird.

08:55 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i don't watch anime based on jump comics anymore because they get into the hundreds of episodes range.. i was into all of them before the episode count skyrocketed with all the fillers. ((couldn't they have pulled an index and just cram some good plot in a season or two?))

but i do agree that one piece now is epic. naruto and bleach don't compare any more. the only other manga that gets my blood running now is fairy tail, which surprisingly isn't altogether that different from one piece.

Oda is just damn good.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    14:18 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It also helps that people who were reading shonen jump 20 years ago still are today.

02:30 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

As you mention it. It´s more than 10 years of one Piece. It launched 1997, that was 14 years ago.

From my point of view the statistics make sense, since most people who started reading it from beginning are now definitely not in their teenage years anymore.

For why the number of 1-18 y.o. is even smaller than the 50+ people beats me, maybe they´re just too lazy to catch up with the 60 tanks of story set before the chapters they can read in the Shonen Jump.

03:47 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They're too busy obsessing over Bleach and Naruto, and possibly DBZ. Not that any of those are horrible anime (though imo Bleach is leaning toward shitty).

21:11 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

One Piece has been in serialization for over 10 years, the original teenage readers are bound to have grown up, as with every other age group that liked it.

09:09 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

It's been running for 10 years. Rather, I would find it a testament of how good it actually is. Few works can boast having such a dedicated and strong fanbase over the years, and keep them interested still.

Comment by Dia

Yeah, only such masterpieces as Days of Our Lives and Bold and the Beautiful can stay fresh for so long.

Comment by ⛔ БОSS ⛔
    08:58 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Because One Piece has a awesome attack called
    GUM GUM ESCAPE FROM MY SHITTY LIFE

Comment by Knives

no the readers were 10 when they started reading one piece .... now there 20 .... thats why the poll is mostly adults

17:11 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Um kids who read naruto when they were 10 stopped reading it when they were 18...

Im just saiyan,not super saiyan that unlike the rest of long shounen series (5 yrs+)ppl actually get tired of it aka they grow out of it.

I mean 32 mil copies last year the other mangas that ranked top 5 still did not beat OP COMBINED

12:31 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I think the reason why One Piece keeps gaining readers is because the people who once hated it started to read and enjoy it after they got bored of the seemingly lack of quality mangas. I hated One Piece art at first cause it felt stupid, but after I ran out of mangas and animes to watch, I read it and I instantly got addicted to it, I had a friend too who hated it at first even though I recommended it to him but ended up liking it by himself and forgetting that I told him so. Most people who speaks ill of One Piece are people who don't even compare it properly with other series. Haters will be lovers of One Piece(maybe not all) while Lovers will continue to love this series.
    To all the haters
    The fact that One Piece is more than 10 yrs old and is currently the Most sold series speaks for itself on how good it is. Try to outnumber its fanbase first before criticizing on its quality.

18:18 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Well one piece is an adventure manga.

Its clever, fun, and it really never gets so ridiculously emo/serious like bleach/naruto.

That and its characters are awesome, funny, and they actually evolve.

14:36 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Ditto! I judged a book by its cover long ago and avoided One Piece like the plague. Today, it is my favorite Manga by far (Anime was great, but latelely the quality has been eh =\)

10:42 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Is obvious. One Piece is the best shonen anime.

12:42 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Only One Piece make an adultcharacter freaking strong(WB,sengoku,admiral,rayleigh). While in other Manga,Teenager is super strong,adult is pure sucks.

maybe that's the reason

22:36 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Strong teenage and child characters are a major turn-off for me.

1. I used to be a teenager, so I know how fucking dumb teens are in reality.
    2. Teenage anime/manga portray adventure and fun ending at the age of 20. I still want to fantasize about being adventurous at my age.
    3. Things that teenage characters make a big deal over (e.g. a crush on a girl) seem trivial to adults. I don't care about half the drama that teenage characters do.

17:57 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

If you can't relate yourself to a teenager, than you are probably not going to like shonen manga anyway. It takes a certain amount of adventurous attitude to like such manga.

20:30 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It make little to no sense for a untrained teenager to kick the ass of an adult that train every day.

Regardless if you identify yourself with those dudes or not.

Comment by Daisuki-chan
    07:38 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess you've never heard of Hunter X Hunter then. =(

10:48 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

because children nowaday has no taste???

06:14 11/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

it's as easy as this : We have superman and friends in the west that have been there for decades and their target audience's age right now is mostly grown ups adult. Same thing for OP, it's reaching that height w/c is a good record break for the east.

to simplify it : Superman and batman - west/ teen to adults. One Piece - east/teen to adult too.

17:30 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I admit i wasn't One Piece fan,but 1 day i gave it a shot and guess what ? It's 100 times better then Naruto & Bleach in terms of Friendship + Storyline.

Unlike Naruto which focus on the emo gay ass who wanted his revenge and etc etc wtf is wrong with him anyway.Screw up :/ and now they aren't focusing on him anymore instead brought up all the zombie from the psat ninja world..wtf.

Bleach is fine.... until now :/ wtf is wrong with this new arc ? aizen arc was better and epic...

18:32 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

we used to be at the correct age group but we all grew up following it. That's it. the modern generation lacks the concentration and attention to start reading something so long and epic.

11:52 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

That's because SJ underestimates the awesomeness of the story of One Piece. That manga is one of the best ever written, together with Gintama and Berserk.

Comment by demonhaseo
    14:25 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't forget detective conan

10:53 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Lol so many haters.
    Well now im sure.
    Sankaku is full of kids spitting on each other.

23:34 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

this topic/pics came from
    NHK one piece documentary right??
    for surpassing 200 million record

07:13 11/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

for me one piece is the reason i fell in love with anime^^ im 18 and i have watched one piece since 2003-2004

Comment by TC-man
    10:28 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Nakama is great! No other manga would made you cry manly tears as One Piece. That's why One Piece is such a great manga.

Comment by kazaza2
    09:05 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

It's just good escapist entertainment and thats all I'm loooking for in it. I love the series.

10:32 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I have 25 years, I'm an engineer in computer science, IQ of 140, with girlfriend for 3 years, with social life, sportman and I see one piece.

Curious that those who speak ill of one piece are the same who masturbate all seasons with plenty of generic ecchis series only limited to show boobs, series with no argument for it, really, that if it is to monkey brain, mature children.

02:29 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I guess that a high IQ doesn't help you with basic grammar...

Comment by renstalon
    02:57 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's possible they are not a native speaker of English.

03:18 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Neither am I, but it's not like English is very difficult... Actually it's one of the easiest languages I've learnt so far, getting the basics is very easy. Mastering it is, of course an entire different matter...

Comment by renstalon
    03:27 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Tell me about it. I've been studying Japanese for close to a decade now. I passed Level 1 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test and still feel like there is room for improvement.

Especially when I have to interpret in meetings...

yes you are, and i am Bill Gates.

Comment by GamefanPPG
    10:35 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

One Piece is awesome, tho some romance on it wont be bad. XD

13:36 10/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Hell NO! Going on a journey and find the fucking treasure with your friends THAT is the romance dude!!!

14:28 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

damn, a lot of narutard here. Go away you american narutard fanbase. One piece rules asia. Nobody give a damn about retarded emo angst ninja. Its not cool, its overrated. Deal with it. I bet my ass narutard fanbase is more from 1- 18 years old snotty brat kids.

09:51 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

lol people who say one piece sucks are just jelly that their favorite manga doesnt have a strong fan base
    facts are facts, even when people grow up they still like one piece, if you dont like it dont read it, saying it sucks means youre either trolling of flamebaiting

10:07 10/02/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

I like more naruto & bleach,,they rock!! onepiece,,,,,makes my eye in pain....onepiece sucks...it should end already,,,like d-gray-man..,but d-gray-man is cool it should make new anime,,,,

10:20 10/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

your english make my eye in pain too

03:37 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Well it makes sense, since it's the only anime worth watching these days, apart from a few titles.

18:03 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Now please show the similar statistics for Bleach so we can finally shut up the manchildren that read that juvenile, plotless piece of shit.