Catherine PS3 vs Xbox 360

Sexy puzzle game Catherine is being released on both the PS3 and Xbox 360 (presumably for the sake of the American release), and detailed comparisons of the graphics of the two versions have also surfaced.

For once the PS3 apparently comes out on top, if only thanks to the advantage in video quality offered by Blu-ray…

The comparison images:

Frame-rates and image quality are said to be all but identical in both versions, with the only difference being the somewhat superior quality of the PS3 version’s anime scenes.

Also there is the matter of the cover:

Comment by Exia
    02:56 01/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I wonder if America's is gonna have different cover art like what they did with neptunia. Rated M for masturbate my ass.

Comment by RaspberryKisses
    01:59 01/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

English release NOW! don't care on what system it looks better i just want to play it!!!!

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    10:38 01/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Same here, stupid ass & pointless comparisons are always being made, no one really cares that much which system it looks slightly better on, they only want to play it, geez those annoying people who actually do these things, soooooo pointless...

11:34 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The only comparisons that matter are do you want ass or tits on your boxart.

12:20 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Catherine's tits please.

Comment by Kuro'Base'Neko
    12:51 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

PC can beat those two.

Actually, the sad thing is people DO care about pointless shit like that.

But it's ok, I've seen a lot of pixels in my time and I confer the PS3 version is like, a million times better. Time to pack up and go home people, Sony wins the game, forever!

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:15 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Every word you said in that post is a hypocritical contradiction. lol epictroll

01:43 01/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

Here we go again.
    Yet another Console wars story were children can count pixels to claim their version is the superior one.

Comment by GANTZ Playboy!
    01:59 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

WELL DUH!...I mean c'mon. There's TV, VHS, & DVD (Xbox) then there's Blu-Ray, High-Def, and Plasma. Guess which one is more suited for the Xbox and which one was MADE to flawlessly play on the other!! X-Box scamps so In Love with protecting the honor or your Queen (despite all her 'Issues').

look at the bricks in the building at 2:22 - clearly the PS3 version is crisp on the screen. You can see this even on YouTube. No Comparison.

Comment by Fapping Time
    07:55 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

hundred times said, fuck sony...

Yes, yes... whatever.
    Obviously you're right. The holy PS3 is better in every possible aspect.
    Are we done now?
    Can we go on to some China sucks or Aya Hirano went finally nuts "news"?

02:54 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Or yet another blu-ray scene of fucking siblings, lolis or whatever.
    Or something about banning anime and Ishihara's quote of the day.

Comment by Majineko
    02:57 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@anon 01:43 console wars is thing that drives companies to produce better systems. remember sega vs nintendo, ps1 vs saturn vs 64. so quit complaining, if this were the 90s, the 360 wouldve been knocked out of the competion already. something like disc space and quality wouldve been a huge difference.

Comment by PhillB
    01:26 01/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Whichever you pick, the story is the same.

Comment by malasuerte
    01:24 01/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

OMG... I can not see any difference D:
    And I´d go for the Xbox cover.

Comment by konakona
    01:42 01/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

PS3 has sharper colors :p

03:02 01/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

is that really a compression defect ? it could be easily fixed by raising the saturation a little, it might even be fault of the method used to capture the video, other than that they look the same in 720p

Comment by TFish
    06:12 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's what I was thinking as well. The game play scenes seem identical save for a few lighting differences. But it looks like that can be changed depending on the screen.

17:11 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Also keep in mind that the 360 modifies the gamma and contrast before it hits the output. They designed it so idiots that couldn't setup a TV would still be able to enjoy the game. Which is why in all honesty I believe all multiplatform titles look washed out on the PS3. It's because the 360 modifies contrast and gamma values on the frambuffer and then outputs it.

Digital foundry touched on it when they were comparing cheapo HDMI cables with expensive $150+ ones which turned out to be exactly the same quality wise. But they touched on the framebuffer and the values when they noticed a difference no matter what using the dev kits.

03:05 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

OMG, who the hell cares. I would be more worried about how the game plays then looks.
    I would rather play FF7 still.

Comment by Knets
    06:25 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The game plays pretty well, except the control doesn't feel very smooth--almost as if theres a noticeable lag between your button input and the game's response.

01:50 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Videophile :o

Comment by John Hayabusa
    01:28 01/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I would go for both covers.

02:40 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yep, same here. I'd take both glasses and drill hair.

10:16 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

look at the fingers when she is tapping them on the table the image on left (360) is alot fuzzier

Comment by BlaqCat
    10:55 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can see differences, but damn are they ever small (if negligable). I'd go for the PS3 release though (if It ever comes to the U.S.) though that's mostly because I like it's cover better.

12:22 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, I thought it was obvious that there were differences(for once it was actually obvious). Idk though somehow this game isn't really something I wanna mix with the console wars...

02:38 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Even witout my glass i can see ps3 has sharper colour.

09:39 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I only own a xbox, looks like i'll be getting the xbox version

04:41 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 MotherFucker! We knw know whs in Command here on that cover!

Comment by Randomness7
    05:15 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, the difference is two things:

1 - As usual the colour is more saturated (I prefer it that way) on the 360 version (except in the cutscenes). You'd have to adjust your TV/monitor for the PS3 version as there are no system settings to do that.

2 - The 360 version is using 2xMSAA (I honestly thought it was using no AA at all) while the PS3 version is using 2xQAA. 2xQAA fixes jagged edges more like 4xMSAA and at the same cost as 2xMSAA. The problem with that is that it blurs the screen.

In this case the jagged edges are so bad (as it always is with cell shaded games) that I prefer the 2xQAA. Hopefully the developers won't be disease infected dicks for once in their lives and let you choose what type of AA you want in the options menu in the final game. I doubt it though.

Comment by Blue Slime

If you can't see the difference, it means you're not a polygon-counting graphics monger with no sense of bang-for-buck

16:29 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Its the same game, but with brightness set up higher on one.

how are you guys this stupid?

10:41 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

XBox cover rulez... but it looks better on PS3 xB, though it´s only on details, mostly

Comment by Nothanks
    03:23 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There is no difference. Only obsessive fanboys would see one.

02:19 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'll just watch videos on youtube and fap to the girls

Comment by KiriCat
    12:40 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

looks fucking awful, both consoles suck balls get a pc and dont wine about poor graphic quality. pansy gamers

Comment by homulilly
    01:46 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm so tempted to buy this game though it'll probably cost around $100 with shipping and everything. I have no choice but to go for the ps3 version since I don't have the right region for my 360.

03:12 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yep, pretty much what decides it for me every time as well.

Comment by N.R.
    03:38 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering the fact that even if you live in Japan a new PS3/360 game costs around 80$, shipment isn't such a deal breaker. But I'm definitely waiting for the English version. In the worst case (no English edition or censored one) I'll just buy it used for 35$ in BookOff next year.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    14:42 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 Region Free with Miyuki Sawashiro's voice = WIN :)

Comment by mood777
    15:37 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

judge the voice.. not the cover.!! i prefer the japanese voice than english voice.!!

Comment by papuanewguineapunk
    15:00 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Catherine? More like save your money. Don't you know this is a recession? Obama is rolling over in his grave right now knowing you would spend your hard earned yen or dinar or fucking monopoly money on this trifling shit. Tsk tsk.

Comment by Sylar
    23:35 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Wow! Obama is dead? When did that happen? I haven't been watching the news lately, they where too depressing.

Comment by kazaza2
    01:47 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Whichever one you pick it's still not the RPG it should have been.

Comment by Imyou
    09:50 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like another modern game I could flip a coin to decide the platform for, buy it, and have no regrets at all. I remember when the difference between ports could mean that whole features were missing from one, or even whole controller buttons. This? It's great... just pick up whichever and enjoy.

Comment by NightShade
    10:03 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If you have a PS3. Setup a Japanese account and you'll be able to download the demo to play :0)

Comment by Megidola
    01:48 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I love the PS3 cover. I hope they don't change it for the western release.

16:03 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

NEVER MIND THE COMPARISON cross you eyes while watching vid AND ITS 3D!!!