yukimura-anzu-sleeping-da-capo-ii.jpg

A teacher boasting to local rags about his class nearing a “record” 3 years of perfect attendance, without so much as a single student taking a day off, is being accused of human rights abuses and endangering the health of his pupils for the sake of self-aggrandisement.

Class A of Nagano prefecture’s Sonan High School reportedly has only 17 days to graduation and boasts perfect attendance for all 23 pupils, for the past 3 years.

sonan-high-3.jpg

The class itself comprises 12 boys and 11 girls, none of whom managed perfect attendance records in their previous middle schools.

Their creepy teacher, a 36-year-old man, claims their perfect attendance is to be a new record and stresses the importance of never taking time off:

“Not taking time off is the basis of being a fully fledged member of society. It’s something I want the students to learn.”

A few suspect quotes from students are trotted out – one 18-year-old hints at the real reason behind the record:

“The teacher really encouraged us so I gave my best. I didn’t take time off even when I was sick.”

The school:

sonan-high-1.jpg

sonan-high-2.jpg

2ch is unenthused:

“Slave training.”

“They come in when they are ill – just wait until someone dies.”

“It’s just that bastard teacher making them do it. Do it yourself!”

“This is horrible. In this atmosphere you wouldn’t be able to take a day off even if you were seriously ill.”

“They’d probably ostracise anyone who took a day off and ruined their record.”

“They’d surely be bullied.”

“Collectivism like this is disgusting. At this level anyone who falls ill would be bullied and hounded to death.”

“This is totalitarianism. Stuff like this is what allows businesses to force their employees to give them ‘service’ [unpaid] overtime.”

“Presenting this as a nice story is pretty messed up.”

“The peer pressure must be incredible.”

“What kind of backwater is this place in? Acting like that in this day and age…”

“This is scary, it’s like some religion or something.”

“At 23 the class is too small, maybe that’s why?”

“It probably got that way gradually. The people who took days off got expelled.”

“Like this:

‘Teacher, ****-kun isn’t he-’

‘We have no pupil called **** here. He was never here, OK?’”

“I’d like to know what the pupils think of this.”

“The kids are probably desperate because they know the first person to take a day off is going to be bullied to death.”

“This is a very Japanese type of inefficiency, isn’t it? Having sick people attend is nothing more than a nuisance. They somehow turn it into an issue of guts and discipline instead.”

“They probably cheat and have sick people show their faces at school only to be sent home afterwards. They should really stop making a big deal out of perfect attendance. Adults should take days off when they need to. Brainwashing those kids like this is pitiful.”

“This is probably a human rights violation.”

“It’s really scary isn’t it? There’s no way this is praiseworthy in the slightest. An environment where you can’t rest even if you are ill is pretty frightening.”

“A year of this might be chance. Two or three is assuredly the result of intense pressure.”

“Why are you guys so negative? It’s a nice story, the kids concerned are convinced it’s worth it and you outsiders have no right to criticise them.”

“Because they aren’t doing on their own accord. They’ve just been forced to do this by their teacher.”

“I hate this stuff. Pupils have a right to take days off you stupid teacher!”

“This whole thing is just so sick. Is it that wrong to take a day off?”

“Totalitarianism? Socialism? They’re both failures so quit it already.”

“The most extreme group discipline. Japan in miniature.”

“How nice of them to instil the proper guts in these corporate slaves.”

“If this was a CEO bragging about his employees, what would you think of his company?”

“This stuff belongs in North Korea, nobody should be pleased by it.”

“If I were in that class, I’d take the last day off.”

Comment by Solru
    01:10 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

They should all take the last day off

01:35 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

if so, the teacher will go on a rampage.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    01:41 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

And he's going to take a page out of another teacher who beat up his student for saying "gomen ne" several times.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:45 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

All the more reason to play hooky on the last day xD

Comment by Char
    09:33 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If a teacher ever beat a child of mine like that or even one of my relatives I'd swear I'd personally put the bastard in the hospital.

Comment by CaioSaber
    01:59 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Then the class would be comprised of 23 troll faces.

Comment by Megidola
    02:06 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I would love to see that picture in their local newspaper...

Comment by Char
    09:12 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Yah they should all ditch one day just so the teacher has a heart attack.
    Really something tells me this teacher probably needs what the police here in the US call stick time.

Comment by Megidola
    01:18 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

The next update will reveal the kids are actually zombies or androids...

Comment by H-Ero
    01:19 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I hate people who don't take off when they're sick with something contagious.

People who force others to do work when they're sick are terrible. I don't care if you want to work when you're sick (just stay away from me so I don't catch it too) but if someone else is sick and needs to rest then you should let them rest.

Comment by Char
    09:15 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I agree if you're sick please take you disease back home.
    ]Also forcing oneself to operate with a severe cold is a good way to make it become phenomena.
    Don't question me on it I have family who work in the medical profession it's pretty common.

01:23 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Isn't it more likely that he simply didn't mark them as absent when they were?

03:09 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

technical you only have to be in long enough to be mark in and your counted as been in for the hole day

Comment by RaspberryKisses
    01:43 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I remember my school and college. My attendance were nowhere near good and i turned out alright. yeh you need to study but you need to relax too, man i relaxed my second year in college in the end of the year i had 4 failed exams but i got through, ah fun times!

04:41 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Where is Onizuka when you need him to knock some sense into this teacher?

02:25 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

They were probably 30... but then... 23.

05:27 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

“If I were in that class, I’d take the last day off.”

That guy would be my hero.

03:28 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The sad thing is, considering japanese corporate culture, he's probably right about them not being expected to take time off when working. Ever. Except for sleep.

04:52 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

As expected from the fucked up ant colony that is Japan.

04:17 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

23 pupils at the end of the 3 years.
    At first they were 48.

Coincidally, there are 25 missing pupils. Their body were never found...

Comment by Cytryz
    06:10 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I like this idea “The idea of perfect attendance is so Japanese. It should really be about results – take as many days off as you like if you keep up your grades.”

Comment by Char
    09:27 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

One year I missed over a week total I think ten days I ditched a few but I ended up getting all As and one B+ that year.

Comment by Lariat
    07:43 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

In revolt, all of the students will humiliate the teacher in revenge by not showing up during graduation.

09:21 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"[A poster presents educational statistics showing the school is only ranked 2643 of 3582 nationally and 74 of 118 in Nagano prefecture.]"

I guess they need something to brag about.

There was something like this in my high school, except it was voluntary: If you have an A in the class and haven't had more than one absence, you don't have to take the final, so kids would show up sick all the time.

The way this sounds though...Geez. The teacher better be giving these kids something pretty damn good as a reward.

students to learn.”

So he's basically teaching them that they should work themselves to death.

09:07 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

“If I were in that class, I’d take the last day off.”

Lulz! Revenge is ever so sweet. >3

08:23 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

For all those who are wondering. This perfectly reflects the lookout for a regular Japanese salaryman.
    They are forced into "perfect attendence" via blackmail, i.e. losing their job if they get sick and so on.

I wouldn't want to live in Japan, even if it was offered to me with a well paying job. I just wouldn't lead a "life" anymore. And, most important, i would lose all self-respect.

12:47 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think that this teacher is innocent until proven guilty its not abuse if everyone agrees plus it is a good sense of accomplishment you guys may be over cynical well if they do a update we will see in oh a few more weeks once they are free from peer pressure

08:34 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You want to 'educate' those kids?

FAT SHIT YOU'RE FORCING ME TO BELIEVE THERE!

You don't give a fuck about those kids. Yeah, I know teachers like you all too well. You don't care if those kids graduate and still end up being failures in their own lives. As long as they behave at school and let you take all the recognition, awards and all that bling-bling shit, you don't care even if they an inch away from death. Even if you do, it's not because you're generally concerned about the kids as human beings. You just don't want to make yourself look bad.

However, it seems not many people are convinced with your bullshit this time, eh? 2ch being their usual self is nothing spectacular, but comments on this one is downright the painful truth about you.

くそったれ教師… 地獄に落ちれ!

08:36 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

wonder of any increased chances of burnout or suicide?

Comment by Lariat
    16:43 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Karoshi - death by being overworked

Watch as the karoshi death statistics increase drastically, all thanks to one man...

01:48 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's not like they get kicked in the face if they are absent for a day... right?

Comment by Sukunai
    02:06 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ya know, HE is not being charged with BEATING THE CRAP out of them, merely proud of his 3 perfect years.

I think after the first year, his students might be just a potentially proud. I think over all, if I was one of the students, I'd likely brag a lot too.

Unless someone can PROVE any wrong doing, then it is likely most of you guys are just jealous.

My father worked 43 years straight for the Canadian National Railway, and missed 3 days, just 3 days. And one of those days, he was driving my mother to the hospital so she could give birth to me. He even managed to drop by the office and tell them he would miss his shift that day.

That makes my father FUCKING AWESOME. A real man's man. Dependable, better than the rest.

Sad that so many of you losers think being unreliable is somehow the norm.

03:26 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Your father is one man, this is a class of 23. Kind of a difference there, buddy.

06:21 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah, he chose to do that. Kind of different from being pressured into it.

And missing work from being sick is a service to coworkers. Fucking douches that come in sick and then I get sick.

08:45 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Canadians.... pisshhhh

2. You father's one man. This is a class of 23.

3. All that shit to boast about, and their school ranking is still in the shitter. What's your point?

Comment by Kiririn
    02:09 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I had perfect attendance in high school. So did many of my classmates. I don't see what's so special. There are only 23 of them after all -- it's not like it's statistically impossible. Anyone making a big deal out of this probably went/goes to a school with no standards where nobody gives a damn whether you're absent or not.

03:15 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This isn't normal, in high school i probably missed a combined 20 days of school or more, everyone missed some school days even teachers, and no i didn't go to a public school i went to a private school.

Comment by U.N.Owen
    01:37 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

In the real working world, even if you are sick, sometimes you can't stay at home. You've still got to work. Work to be done, deadlines met, projects completed, failure to do so can lead to disaster for everyone around you(your allies). Anyway from what I've seen, lots of students use sickness as an excuse to take it easy.

04:29 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Deadlines or not.

Ill workers have a lower productivity level. They make more mistakes so a lot of work needs to be done double to correct said mistakes. There's the issue of cross contamination, meaning other workers will also fall ill, etc.

Take the flu for instance, during the initial onset you might be able to work a bit, but later on the sneezing, coughing will interfere with continuous work. The headache will limit focus, same goes for cold shivers etc.

It just becomes counterproductive. And I haven't met a boss yet, who says, you need to come in anyway when ill like that. Heck, most will send you home before it gets that far.

Course that might be the difference in Western company thinking and Eastern. But in all my 30y+, I've never had a boss wanting me to come in while ill.

But maybe that's also because I left behind pretty good documentation on how things are supposed to be done. Just in case I do fall ill. At most 3 times a year (usually just 2). Flu seasons, and out for about a week.

14:17 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

A lot of bosses don't care about quality or productivity - they care about appearances.

This kind of school, sadly, trains students to be clock-punchers and clock-watchers.

16:47 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And then they wonder why their economy is in the toilet.

Appearance is only 1/10th at most of the bottom line. Quality and Productivity can make up as much as 60% at the minimum. Those who spurn that much for so little are fools, who don't belong in business.

Comment by RaspberryKisses
    01:47 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

yeh but students aren't workers, cut them some slack. They will see their share when they will graduate ,one two days wouldn't hurt a bit. i know i'm glad my attendance were nowhere near good coz it's don't matter.

Comment by Char
    09:20 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Even workers get sick time in the US.
    A smart employer will send you home if you are very sick because you'll get the rest of the staff sick.

Be one person short for a few days or have then entire staff operating at less then optimal capacity and even get sick your self.
    The choice is a very easy one.
    Or worse yet some workers get phenomena while on the job and have to make insurance claims then your insurance rates go up.

Worst of all is if you are in any type of food service a sick person could contaminate the food making customers sick and ruin your business.

01:10 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The students were willing, so I don't think it's that bad~

He's boasting about it?

I don't even care

03:28 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

TAKING the time off is the basis of being a fully fledged member of society.

fix'd

Comment by Megidola
    01:19 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Willing? More like they were pressured or coerced into it.

The teacher would probably do a Sparta kick on them like that previous post if they missed a day.

Comment by Equitas
    01:31 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"THIS IS SCHOOL!"

I think the teacher showed his students where the big hole on the ground is.....

Comment by Gradius
    10:20 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If you call "willing" as do it or DIE!

Then, I don't know what willing is anymore.

This Is Madness!!!... *plays This is Sparta Techno Remix* <-- Check Youtube Video XD

06:17 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh god if I was in that class they would have failed so hard... I even skip a majority of my college classes, let alone High School, where my senior year was comprised of me coming in whenever the hell I felt like it.

Comment by Gogetters
    01:34 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

And if he did that he would only get a 10% pay cut for 3 months...

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:39 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

“The teacher really encouraged us so I gave my best. I didn't take time off even when I was sick.”

I thought it was okay until here...

Comment by freezero
    02:15 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

wow, well i guesse they are strong willed? well its good to know that they where well enough to go to school all the 3 years....il be laughing if someone misses the last day of school XD

The lot of them should boycot the last day of school. Far more effective.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    01:39 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

And yet another ridiculous AND creepy teacher!

04:40 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Pyrolight
    i wudnt say its brainwash, tbh when i was in asia i wudnt miss school if im just a little bit ill... but since i came to uk, and especially uni... i miss what i want, teachers may not like it but they can suck out.. is kinda the attitude everyone have over here... at least they are willing to go to school.. teacher can be encouraging or harsh, student can be willing or not willing, theres only 4 outcomes.. and only willing student and encouraging teacher is a good outcome, and thats what it is in this article.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    11:02 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank You!...

01:27 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

was the only line in the article that made it look kinda bad :/

2ch's comments were what made it look worse

I mean, can't the students be absent if they wished to be?

Comment by Megidola
    02:04 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

@-flood-

I think 2ch's comments are pretty accurate here though.
    As they say-

Comment by POKI
    02:18 15/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

it's a mindfuck pressure... to be the only guy to fuck up the entire 3 year perfect attendance BS.

so everyone ends up trying to not be that guy...

02:37 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The irony is that the teacher probably took some days off :S

Comment by Bigall
    04:07 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I wondering what were the grades students obtained in the end.

Comment by SOTER
    04:07 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My response to this would be ^_^ :

Comment by Neferius
    21:54 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

“If I were in that class, I’d take the last day off.” -I second that!

Comment by alidan
    14:07 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

okay I live in America so that's where this is coming from.

In high school we got at most 37 days of before we wouldn't get credits for the courses we were taking regardless of how good our grades were. barring some kind of illness like one of our classmates had colon cancer you only got 37 days.

I can't remember taking a single day off of school at least in high school.

And you have a fucking cold you don't take days off for.

2ch is acting like they had pneumonia and dragged themselves the school.

I really don't get how this is bad, a teacher encouraging students not to take days off, students beam prowled that they collectively didn't take days off, I see no fucking problem.

Comment by Pyrolight
    02:02 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's brainwashing pure and simple.

02:44 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

First 1 absent automatically fails the class.

15:55 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@TheBeast
    It's nice to see how you show off your disrespect for your coworkers as a badge of honor.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    10:48 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The teacher did nothing wrong but may have maybe did too much of a good thing which resulted in something bad, end of fucking story...

The only real way this is bad is if he had the same exact students all 2 to 3 years this is referring to & only then, kids are not that easily pushed around in middle school by their superiors, I know from experience...

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    10:48 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

& a Cold is not that bad, I went to school all the time with it, not exactly referring to the Cold of old here that killed people left & right in the past that was kind of incurable at the time & more easily spreadable...

03:36 18/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The similar thing happens to me when I was in middle school in Hong Kong: The school principle tells us that he doesn't like that the fact that we have a single absent day as whole school, while the high school on the next door doesn't have a single absent day full year, as whole school.

Subsequently he kept on emphasizing how we should go to school no matter what happen -- he doesn't mention or say anything about that we should stay home and don't go to school if we are sick.

For most of the people in Hong Kong agree with what the principle said: because parent will force/encourage their student to go to school even they are sick.

The result? sometime later in my life I heard this story: one parent got his sick kids to go to school(kindergarten), and the next day the whole class getting sick and absent from the school.

What I want to say is this: it's OKAY to encourage, not force, their students to go to school. But they also need to EMPHASIZE and encourage those students to take a day off if they are in serious ill.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    00:53 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes Alidan we should encourage people to go to work and school sick so they can possibly spread it around. That, is obviously a good idea. Lets spread around colds, the flu, bronchitus, chicken pox, and other fun things. Never, ever take a day off school you'll obviously be better for it.

Comment by alidan
    09:06 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

when I was in school I get a cold four times a year, it would last about two weeks until everything was done, four times a year times two weeks each equal this 10 days each means 40 days I would've failed high school if I took off for fucking cold. There was a person that took off for colds, I know that, my school. that person got the shit kicked out of them for it. how big a pussy do you have to be to not go to school with a fucking cold.

Comment by TheBeast
    10:45 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

2ch's heart is bleeding all over the place...

i had horrible attendance in school, but at work i've never missed a day. well, i take that back. i hit a deer and fucked up my truck, but the next day i used my dads spare car and showed up with deer steak for lunch.
    but, if i was sick, i would suck it up and go to work anyways.

it's something the kids can be proud of as i myself am proud of that fact. i wake up and feel like shit from a night of drinking, i still grab the boot straps and get out the door and give my best. it helps around raise time too. hard work and dedication are not things to try and discourage, but rather encouraged.

thumbs up to the teacher for trying to better society by teaching punctuality.

reminds me of hot fuzz

Comment by Envoy Loves You
    14:01 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm not bothered by the fact that the students here subjected themselves to perfect attendance. For those who were actually into it, I'd applaud them even. But what really gets me fuming is the teacher's words:
    "Not taking time off is the basis of being a fully fledged member of society"

Fucking brainwashed corporate slave

Comment by King Tiger
    01:42 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

sounds like these students had a very encouraging teacher and even one of which sounded "willing" to help with this record achievement

I bet the teacher was a motivational speaker at some point lol

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:50 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Like 2ch simulated;

"Teacher, ****-kun isn’t he-"
    "We have no pupil called **** here. He was never here, OK?"

Great Hitler motivator indeed

18:09 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ah internet, you never fail Godwin's law.

Hey, knock it off guys..

He's just preparing for them servitude to either China or the US, depends who wins the war in the end.

Comment by Char
    09:32 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I will admit the US government is a troll at times well every government is a troll but it's not an empire that enslaves people.

So if there is a war of some sort between the US and China you better hope the US wins.

Really who care?

Okay good record, but even so, why boast about it?

In my country, in high school I was absent for like 200h/year...

Comment by POKI
    02:33 15/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

i take a day off every week... to sit in the park and relax to a book.

i'm too young to be having white hair XD

i wish you're my boss/teacher