Nintendo: “Batteries Under 10 Hours = NG” (3DS = 3 Hours)

nintendo_3ds-red.jpg

Nintendo’s CEO is being quoted as saying handhelds with a battery life of under 10 hours are “absolutely meaningless,” after his company just announced the 3DS only has a 3 hour battery life.

Nintendo CEO Iwata was previously quoted rubbishing the PSP for having a short battery life:

“For games, it is absolutely meaningless if your console doesn’t have a battery life of 10-20 hours.”

The 3DS has a battery life of “3-5 hours” in normal 3DS games, and a 3.5 hour charge time.

He is however true to his word in another 2004 interview:

“I actually don’t think you can’t use the DS for things other than gaming.

However, to make it do all kinds of things, and to give it all kinds of functionality, you end up pushing up the price, making it bigger, and reducing the battery life – this is a mistake, I think.”

Comment by Ota-Kool
    09:13 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

WTF? 3 hours holy shit! I have to buy extra 2 battery to play additional 6 hour during traveling on a bus(traffic here is worst) or a train. Why don't Nintendo invent something like a portable Generator that is light and small?

09:29 09/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Coming soon from Nintendo:
    Nuclear Powered Batteries !!!
    They last longer than you do.

Comment by homu
    09:34 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Cause they'll give ya cancer.

Comment by kamiru
    15:57 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

And we pay for it, with money!

Comment by Purple Mage
    09:37 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

You could make such a device from one of those hand generator flash light/radios.

Though I do most of my traveling with my car and all I need is an inverter but I'd still want a removable battery because they do tend to go bad long before the useful lifespan of the device.

So you play while you drive? You are really crazy.

11:49 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

honestly, if im to spend $300 bucks on a new "console" I'd rather just pick up another ps3 or xbox... I cant see myself spending that type of money for something based off gimmicky technology (im quite sure the games will still be nintendo quality, you know a handful of gems but mostly kiddy styled sh*t...)marketed as a portable with so little battery life...

honestly, I'll stick with my dsi until they come up with a killer 3d library, and hopefully resolve these battery life issues.. thats just me though

12:04 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

but without the initial scapegoats who buy the 3ds their wont be enough income to do research on making a better battery life. That is all nintendo is doing. same with the iphone.

Comment by aarond12
    12:17 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

iPhone? Unless I'm gaming for long periods of time, my iPhone 4 works for 2-3 days on a single charge.

Comment by Ken
    14:05 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

"honestly, if im to spend $300 bucks on a new "console" I'd rather just pick up another ps3 or xbox"

Amen to that. PSP graphics and 3d gimmick aren't worthy. And the games... ok, they have a great history in gaming but, come on, another mario game? Zelda... again? I'm kind of tired to play the same story and see the same characters over and over again, but that's just my opinion.

Comment by Travis
    08:56 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Its not like it matters. How many people are going to be playing it for more than a couple hours away from a source of electricity anyway? Still, our battery technology is getting pretty laughably archaic in light of all these fancy new portable gadgets we're drooling over year after year.

Comment by Riiku
    08:58 10/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Y'know, it'll be allright if they would sell a separate batteries for cheap. You could charge two batteries and just swap them, thus having 6 hours.

Batteries tends to be the weakest thing in many mobile devices.

Even better if they made a cheap charger for several batteries at once.

Comment by demonhaseo
    10:01 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I have to agree, the only things really that've been coming out with amazing battery life now-a-days are from Apple...

And there's a reason for that. Do you know what it is?

11:35 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Because with every other device you can swap out the batteries all day and the only limit to the play time away from a powersource is how many batteries you can buy?
    Yeah, thats probably the reason.

Comment by Samus
    09:25 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

come on, sony have all the resources to make good things, still without understand why they copy nintendo, i mean, if you know a little of the world, you`ll know nintendo`s the king of gaming.
    and for battery life, in my country you cant go out with a super machine like that, you will get raped.
    and im always and home, so i dont care, 3 hours on 3ds, other 3 hours on pc during charging, etc

Comment by Jean
    13:41 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I find this bad news for gamers, period. I myself don't own a DS but a gameboy was my first handheld (I'm pretty sure most of everyone here's first handheld was a gameboy). I now own two PSP's and I love them. I mean MGS Peace Walker is the most stunning game on it and 3de Birthday is pretty sweet too. MH is awesome and I play it all the time. It's not a question of the DS being superior to the PSP, but the games. Right now, the PSP is the best handheld when it comes to Hardcore games IMO. The DS is the best in innovation and the 3DS is gonna blow the PSP out of the water with it's 3D tech. I think both PSP and DS are awesome and the only loser here is M$. When the PSP2 comes out, I would say it's gonna be a great year for gamers as it's gonna be this year with the release of the 3DS.

Comment by Ota-Kool
    12:41 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Seriously how am I suppose to play long hours of jrpg?

09:55 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Weren't those statements made 7 years ago? Times change

Comment by Chen-04
    22:25 22/08/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It's still meaningless to have a portable device that runs out of juice a couple of hours after you leave the house. That totally defeats the point of it being portable.

Comment by Ryan Saotome
    08:58 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

3DS is gonna bomb. I mean it'll still be the #1 handheld, but PSP2 will give it a really big scare next gen

Comment by Guangyu Zhao
    09:08 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

PSP2 has to have some killer new features otherwise I don't think it'll survive......

Comment by demonhaseo
    10:05 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

PSP2... killer features... it's already said that the PSP2's ganna have 1gb of ram and a processor half as powerful as the PS3 so it's a monster already speed wise. The Graphics are going to compare to early PS3 title games too... so we know it's ganna have mind blowing graphics... what I wanna know now is how is the battery ganna be, weather they're going the route of the PSP Go for design, and weather or not it's ganna have physical games... or if they're ganna fuck us over again with UMD's.

Comment by demonhaseo
    10:06 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Mean't to say Fuck us over again with Downloading games and not being able to use our UMD's...

10:23 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

er the psp was half the power of ps2 and it was amazing when it was release but that don't stop nintendo ds winning by miles.

11:37 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yeah. The N64 was better than the PS but still they lost like some shitheads. Don't speak of the PS2. The Wii and the DS are still far away from the almighty PS2. But well, nintendo has a big player base, being the only system that is developed for kids under the age of 12.

Comment by yaku
    11:44 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

All that about hardware features is good and all, but the most important thing as always is how many games it's gonna have and if they're gonna be any fun.

While I love my PSP1000 because I could do a bunch of stuff besides playing games, I haven't got a wide variety of games I liked to play in it. I think I liked less than 10 games, and four were Patapon 1 and 2 and Locoroco 1 and 2. I haven't played a PSP game in a long time, meanwhile I just finished playing 999 for the NDS (killer game, especially for those who loved Ever17 and F/SN)

Then again it's probably because I'm not that partial to the kind of games released for the PSP.

09:10 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

#1 handheld =/= bomb. I agree that if Sony plays their cards right and make a decent PSP2 to combat it, Sony will pretty much roll over it, but it's likely to go the same route as the Wii--they'll sell way more than they could ever need to early, take their money and laugh to the bank.

yeah and 20 min of battery life .

14:25 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Honestly I'm more worried about load times. That and the length of the recharge cable.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    15:30 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, I want it to be at least as long as the cable cord for the DSLite...

I can play that thing while having it plugged up all the way across my bed room which which while a small bedroom is still pretty lengthy...

Comment by i like pandas
    19:57 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Load times have never been an big issue with cartridge-based media. That may be one of the reasons Nintendo is sticking with cartridges (anti-piracy being the main reason).

Comment by Chen-04
    22:38 22/08/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

There's no recharge cable. Your supposed to use your old one.. or was that the 3DSXL?

16:49 10/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm glad they acknowledge the battery life. Something Sony didn't bother to do from the looks of it.

Comment by toshironikko
    21:10 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well here's my thing: I have a DSlite for DS/GBA games. I got a DSi on launch for the camera and the DSiware games...that and the shoulder buttons on my lite were getting worn and i needed a new one for Metroid:Prime Hunters (Still hoping on a sequel or something-come on Nintendo!). I do like the battery life on the DS but the only time I find myself playing for 10+ hrs is like a RPG like Golden Sun. I plan on trading in my DSi for a 3DS cause of all the things it does like play movies and im looking forward to Resident Evil and Zelda:OoT3D. Those two games kinda sold it for me. I have a PSP but I use it mostly as a mp3 player these days.

Comment by Seira
    09:44 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Who cares just as long as it doesn't delay pokemon animal crossing or Mario kart

Comment by Kyon
    09:07 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh God, this can't be serious.

Comment by Shaolan-kun
    09:52 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As always, your comment + your avatar = LMAO

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    15:01 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's classic...

Comment by Nin
    09:12 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

Iwata's self-contradiction is a bit embarrassing...

3 hours of battery life seems totally fine to me though. I can't imagine having it on for more than 3 hours when I take it with me somewhere. When I'm at home, I'll just play it with the charger plugged in.

Comment by Ryan Saotome
    09:21 09/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Never go on train or plane trips? they often take more than 3 hours.

09:34 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

3 hours is short, and well, if yer traveling for a couple of hours, you will start cursing and swearing when your 3DS ran out of battery and there's no place to charge it. Unless of course if yer planning to bring along spare batteries or better yet, a few other consoles like your PSP and DS along with you in your extremely heavy luggage

09:21 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

finally some logical sense, you are correct sir.
    I might be doing that myself.

also I never go anywhere anyway so jokes on them, I don't even need the battery.

If you play at home, why not using the superior home console? Are you retarded or something?

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    15:04 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

With the DS & the Wii, they really are like 2 completely different consoles in a sense you know...

Comment by Sylar
    09:00 10/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Well maybe but in the end when you are home you have big consoles, PC, TV and basically a dozen things to do. Do you really need a handheld console too?
    People are too greedy. Most of them buy them just to have everything instead of what they need. More than half the buyers of hand-held consoles probably use them 99% of the time at home. So basically they never really needed one.
    It's not like we ever run out of games to play on the big systems. So much games are released every month that is impossible to play or buy them. So in the end hand-held consoles are nothing but a narcotic making gamers buy them because gamers just can't resist a nice looking console.

Personally i am still playing with my PS2. Yes i had bought so much nice games that i never found time to play them all even 4 years after the replacement came out in the market.
    Hell now GT5 is out and there are still a few things i want to win in GT4.

I will probably buy PS3 in a few months along with GT5 and then i will be buying some games on that and my PC for at least the next 6-7 years.
    In the end when you realize you don't have time for everything you try to stop throwing away money just to feel you have everything.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    16:55 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

well i always play portable games with my charger on though they say the durations get shorter once you remove the charger.

Comment by i like pandas
    19:42 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Quoting something from 7 years ago is retarded as fuck.

Battery technology experienced little to no significant advancement since the Li-ion battery was commercialized in the early 2000s. Thus, developers face a huge issue as technology has doubled in power each year, yet batteries stay the same.

Thus, this news shouldn't be a surprise at all. These days, where everyone wants the most powerful of everything, Nintendo clearly weighed their options and made a logically sound decision. Imagine if they said: "Hey guys, we're releasing a new generation DS! It has a Pentium 1 processor and a hamster with a calculator as its GPU. Did we mention its battery life is over 9000 hours? Please look forward to new games in a mind-numbing TEN SHADES OF GRAY!"

From many of the comments above, it seems some kids are afflicted with retardation. "EWWW 3DS sucks, PSP2 will be way better." So you're you're telling me that PSP2, which is likely going to sell itself on its amazing graphics, won't have battery issues?

In fact, look at it this way. Nintendo DS had 4 times the battery life of the PSP. So if the 3DS has 3 hours of battery life, PSP2 will be enjoying a whopping 45 minutes of battery life! AMAZING!

In the end, I don't really give a fuck. I play my handhelds at home anyways.

19:34 10/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So true. It just proves again Nintendo main weakness is, most people are not intelligent enough to understand all the work they did on their systems.

When I look at battery stats, it seems obvious there is a problem, especially the charge time. A lot of reliable sites (i am really disapointed by SC right now, honestly) are now trying to correct. It is probably just a mistake or a mistranslation. Or it is part of the usual anti-N lies we hear about each time a new Nintendo system is released...

What I heard is:
    3DS games in 3D: 2 - 5h
    3DS games 3D turn off: 5 - 8h
    DS games and other features: much more!

And no battery has a charge time that long! I believe 3.5h is the time you need to charge the battery while the 3DS is working.

It seems much more understandable when you look at it this way, doesn't it?

Comment by Chen-04
    22:36 22/08/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I own a 3DS now. Need to charge it a couple of times PER DAY.

22:46 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

As much as I like SC, the bias in the stories I read here is sometimes ridiculous. Every other gaming site reports it as 3-8 hours and of course it only takes a couple hours to charge fully. That's the same charge the PSP has now and only a little less than the 5-10 the DS Lite gets.

What do you expect from a site whose faggot webmaster faps furiously to pageviews?

Comment by Damian
    10:21 10/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

and you enjoy thinking about it while you yourself masturbate furiusly to it?, its the only reason i can think for you to still be hear when you have a clear hate for this page

17:32 10/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

prtty good

10:59 10/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So Damian, how does his dick taste?