chihaya-rrod-by-nomura-teruya.jpg

There are reports that Kinect is causing Xbox 360s to succumb to the dread Red Ring of Death.

A 10-year-old boy explains to the BBC how Kinect’s Microsoft quality hardware robbed him of the chance to spend Christmas swearing at people on Halo:

“We plugged it in the day we got it but only played it a few times before we got the red lights. The next day when we tried it again we still had the red rings of death and haven’t been able to use it since.

It is quite a shame as we got loads of new games for the Xbox too and I never had a chance to play them.”

Digging through online forums apparently also provides evidence of others with the same problem:

“I have never had a single issue with my Xbox. I got Kinect for Christmas and the screen starting freezing randomly. Then on New Year’s eve… BAM, I got the red ring. Very sad.”

Microsoft denies any connection and refuses to even use the term “RRoD”:

“There is no correlation between the three flashing red lights error and Kinect. Any new instances of the three flashing red lights error are merely coincidental.”

Comment by Melon Bread Man
    10:12 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

At first I thought masturbating to the Sears catalogue red ringed my Xbox, but it only happened that one time so I'm pretty sure they're unrelated. I'll contact the BBC just to be safe though.

Comment by Cytryz
    10:11 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

lololol <_< don't trust something with over a 50% failure rate. as cool as Kinect is.... its only cool when you can actually play it lol.

The Wii and PS3 are clearly the superiors systems lol. you only have to buy em once unless you are one of a very few unlucky folks to have an issue.

Comment by King Tiger
    21:21 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Cytryz

agreed

finally someone who knows the better options of console gaming :)

10:23 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Couldn't fit any more lol's in your post? Apparently you're too young to remember the PSX and PS2 which had moderate failure rates of their own, and an extremely high rate of PSP's coming straight out of boxes with dead pixels, which is why nobody gives a shit that Sony finally got their act together after so long. And the Wii doesn't have hardware comparable to a 360. You might as well say a bicycle is better than a car because bicycles don't break down.

10:46 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There is also no YLOD. The PS3 never breaks down, you see...

Comment by Cytryz
    07:25 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

at all the anons above who were bein smart asses (excluding 19:47)

First the wii even though its an inferior console still stomps on the Xbox's micro dick. <_< how many wii's has everyone I know has had to buy ? 1 with the exception of one person who had an unfortunate series of events lead into the demise of his wii.

friends with ps3 1.

<_< how often do you here about the Yellow Lights for the ps3? not that often. How many times do you hear about the yellow light for the ps3 slim? even less than that

How many different pleasefixme's has microsoft released? 7 at least (excluding special editions) wtf why does their system still fail so much ?

Nintendo I know well for dependability .
    Sony as it is now I know for dependability.

My ps2 shit the bed after 7 years of good service.
    ps3 still kickin
    wii still kickin
    cube died after 8 years
    64 works as if its brand new
    snes works perfectly

psp never had one they suck anyways... DS is better

so you can go jump in you nice lil Ford car (360) cuz Driver Returns On Foot (DROF FORD) since it is a Flimsy Old Rebuilt Dodge

while I will be takin out my Lambo.

aww shit your still walkin home man. Do you want to catch a ride on my bicycle?

10:55 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You just sound retarded. well done.

10:52 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Try peddling a bicycle with a broken chain.

19:47 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, an American product (which by default means you're being raped in prices & fees at every turn!) which the faultiness of an asian product! AWWWH.. Sucks to be you. (This is probably what most people refer to as double penetration).

Anywho, surprised no one has created an Xbox/PS3 like the retro combo emulators http://amzn.to/gRy36I

19:44 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Never had a problem with my PS1 (which I'm STILL using today for LoD & Vs. titles) or my PS2 (which has been used for over 1000 hours). So maybe it's a bad luck issue.

10:27 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

What surprises me most is that Artefact actually went to a real news site to do this article.
    :D

Comment by Artefact
    12:13 07/01/2011 # ! Questionable

I think you're missing the real point of the article - whatever can be said for the Xbox 360, publishing a story based on a 10-year-old phoning a radio station and then corroborating it with random forum gibberish certainly says something about their journalistic rigour... are we supposed to believe these people are any more "real" or "reliable" than a thread dug up from 2ch?

20:48 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I won't deny that this particular BBC article is pretty rubbish for the reasons you said.

But in general, a BBC article is more reliable than a 2ch one.
    Probably.
    Does 2ch investigate things or just go off rumours? :S

(Same Anon as before)

Comment by King Tiger
    21:27 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Artefact

agreed

BBC ran out of "stories" to report but then again its state run media since when did any state media should be taken seriously let alone as "reliable"?

06:06 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

BBC is NOT state run!
    It's funded by every single person in the UK that has a TV as we all have to pay the "TV Licence".
    It's totally independent from government.
    As evidenced by it's continued reporting of every politician's scams during the expenses scandal.
    They investigate and air views that criticise the government all the time.
    State run media don't do that.

(Still the same Anon as before)

Comment by alex251
    02:16 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

anon I only say RAPELAY

04:11 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Mhm. That was a big deal in the USA and Japan. The rest of the world laughed really hard about it.

Comment by Renegade Angel
    10:08 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

And this is a surprise how?
    I always thought new hardware would cause more RRODs。
    Well played Microsoft.

Comment by King Tiger
    10:15 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

American quality at its finest

fucking idiots

10:18 07/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

BBC news reporting at its finest, reporting on a kid getting a RROD.

20:00 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Breaking news: There are reports that Elvis still lives!

Sigh, im pretty sure that "online forums" are the most reliable source of information. ;)

What do you expect from a free news station

Comment by awesome
    10:22 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

what? American quality? i thought Xbox 360 was made in china.. it's clearly written "made in china" on back of your 360
    go check!

10:32 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Too bad I don't own a 360 to check...

12:06 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

For all you know awesome is a girl (however unlikely) meaning her avatar is straight.

Comment by Streifen
    15:45 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Funny how even IF he was gay, calling him gay is technically not an insult, just a statement.
    If he's not gay, then it's just plain wrong.
    Kinda a pointless thing to say either way.

Comment by Dummy00001
    10:54 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

"Made in China" means dick. Chinese can do any quality customer asks. It just generally companies try to "improve margins."

BMW produces some parts in China. Apple produces most of their stuff in China. And M$ produces some parts in China. Feel the difference.

15:23 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Made in China does not mean dick. Apple products are also made in China, and probably your computer too. The blame goes for Microsoft for poor quality control.

Comment by awesome
    11:19 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Dummy00001 you seems to misunderstand me
    i'm simply correcting him, chill.
    check my post again, i said nothing about china making bad consoles.

11:13 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

no joke, my ds is made in china and that thing is a champ, also yours and everyone elses game cube was made in china and those things are damn near indestructible!

21:59 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Just wait for it to evolve like awesome's avatar.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    21:47 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Streifen,your image kinda resembles awesome's!

18:08 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Using Apple as an example of high quality? Their shit isn't any better, it's just significantly more expensive (which they get away with 'cause HOT DAYUM their marketing team knows how to move product).

11:26 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

China produces everything. Even american flags.

Comment by awesome
    10:35 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@anon 10:32
    anon, did you hear? there such thing as google, it's amazing! can find shit people post all over the world!
    look at the left of the censored serial number

I'm the anon who said "PS. Your avatar is gay." I'm sorry for that, I'm actually a faggot i like dicks, I'm just to shy to say it.

He's not a girl, but he does have a mangina. He wants that shenis in his mangina sooo bad..

PS. Your avatar is gay.

I agree with the anon above.

I just said his avatar was gay.

But then he got aaaall upset... aaand it became fun.

11:41 07/01/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

That was believable..

12:55 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

whoops~ just a little check in the back of my 360... MADE IN cHINA
    _
    it may of been designed in America and slightly prototyped there. The cheep shit inside was provided by china!
    _
    but I'll accept it's mostly microscums' fault for fucking RUSHING the crappy POS to "one Up" Sonys' release of the PS3 a year later.. and seeing that I'll be Once More experience the YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH on my PS3... I write here now to say: Fuck ALL You FUCKING BASTARDS who rush products out!!!!
    My Atari 2600/ Nintendo/ Super Nintendo/ GameBoy/ Advanced GameBoy/ PS1/ PS2/ Never Broke!!!!
    FUCK YOU TO THE BOWELS OF HELL!!!!!!

21:51 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Made in germany?

00:56 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

PROTIP:

THERE'S ABOUT AS MUCH AMERICAN CONTENT IN A MODERN CONSOLE AS THERE IS MONGOLIAN.

They don't design the mainboard, the I/O Chipset, the video chipset, and they sure as hell don't BUILD them either.

Comment by Shiro_Amada
    10:18 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0)

Or you can just drop modern IT gadgets and go to good old ENIAC. I'm sure nobody slotted a punch card into that one for a long time now.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    12:53 07/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It never really went away. The new version doesn't have it, but it might have a new system crippling fatal fault. As for those having the RRoD, it was just a matter of time. The Kinect just accelerated the process.

20:12 07/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

europeans invented america

need i say more?

Comment by Kurva17
    16:30 07/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Actually, silicon chip was invented by European, if we can count Britain as part of old continent.

Comment by Aliaus
    11:09 07/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

I prefer real boobs

11:30 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.9)

I prefer little boobs.

Comment by RakkaKaze
    13:48 07/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

More dataflow = more heat.

WTF do you think the Kinect causes? derp derp.

11:31 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Thats a logical fallacy. Just because an american invented something doesn't mean a person of a different nationality couldn't invent it soon after the american would have. Look at radar.

Comment by toyNN
    11:30 07/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I'll purchase one when "Catherine" is labeled "Better with Kinect"

10:40 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I prefer silicon boobs

13:45 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Kinect has nothing to do with it.

RROD = Overheating because of the the mounting hardware for the heatsink is shit.

14:16 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

"coincidental" doesn't mean it's 'accidental' right?

for some reason, i have a feeling microsoft is behind this (aka: did it on purpose).

Comment by Daiyousei
    11:32 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

The irony is that this is American quality at its finest. I think I said this before; the xbox is a work of art. It's a system so complicated and subtle that not only does it perform its intended function pretty well but the producers have the power to cause it to crash and require replacement pretty much whenever they want. The real money in a lot of stuff is in replacement, repair, and warranties. Nobody has figured out how, meaning it was made well.

We've come far from those old, made-to-break automobiles...

20:33 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

@20:12
    ...and really, we should have done a bit better job at it.

You know, less fat people, less stupid people and so on.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    11:50 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

& now the RROD has finally returned, what a shock, what a shock, WOW *sarcasm*...

17:51 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You don't seem to understand reality.
    So obviously you're american !

>You're the idiot here. Were there no Americans, there would be no silicon chip either.

Your logic is dumb.
    If A invents X, there is no need for B to invent it anymore. But if A did not invent X, B would have probably invented it a bit later anyways.
    Or do you think people would never have discovered the lightning bulb, the automobile and the computer without certain people ?
    That is ridicoulous and arrogant.

22:03 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

We can also claim that because of USA tecnology worldwide was thrown back 10-20 years because of the crisis in 1920.

From a government point, USA does not have a lot of money to spend. Companies do, but chances are they are not made up of only american workers.

And, by the logic that nobody afterwards could possibly have come up with something if a certain person didn't, without sir Isaac Newton we wouldn't have had gravity.

Oh Really?

Comment by ItsDemo
    17:45 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It just won't be an Xbox without the RROD.

11:43 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I prefer nice little real boobs. Bit nice big boobs will do as well.

21:50 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

And this website brilliantly highlights your point of anime fans not being perverts.

Comment by Sylar
    18:20 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Hey idiot. Americans didn't invent silicon chips. Just because you manufacture them it doesn't mean you invented them. If that was the case China would have been the biggest inventor ever.
    Go open some book before you throw your stupid comments.
    And also lets not forget what Americans really are. Just a mix of European races.

05:25 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If not for Scotland the world would probably still be in the dark ages. Every country has made it's contribution so stop being little bitches and get back to ripping on the Xbox.

21:28 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What's ridiculous is that so many of the people on this board are prejudiced. How's saying all Americans make crappy products any different than saying all homosexuals have aids, All blacks are criminals, all star trek fans are fat white guys, or ALL ANIME FANS ARE PERVERTS. Remember the golden rule people.

18:47 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Like freaking every other country.

Look at Japan mix of Chinese, Koreans and Japanese.

Oh wait they crossed the great sea to get there.

12:44 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ya know, once, just once, I'd like to use the internet and not feel insulted just for being born in the USA, but I guess that's too much to ask.

14:45 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't worry Americans, the world just needs a martyr. And it looks like it's Americas turn. People are united by a common enemy. It's so much easier to pick out flaws than positives. Also, jealousy is a terrible thing, but no one will ever admit to it. America is the new(old) Square. Sure they put out great games for years. But now everyone's hoping for their demise. Everyone will just keep hating, though, because they have so much misguided anger.

Also, the fact that America is the worlds largest melting pot and that when you bash them you're essentially bashing yourself.

Oh yea, RRoD. I almost forgot about that. Good thing I bought a ps3 instead. Stupid American tech. Stupid Americans. Can't do anything right.

09:11 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I wasn't trying to help America's case. As far as I'm concerned, I don't believe that they need any help. Sure, I think that Americans are stupid but I don't go shouting it to the masses (except right now) because I realize that it's pointless. When you insult one group of people, especially in Americas case, you're essentially insulting everyone in the world. For as much as America has helped shape the world, the rest of the world has equally shaped America. It's basic sociology that people shape society and vice versa. But people are too nationalistic to see that everyone is really one in the same, or at least moving closer and closer to that point. But what would I know? I'm just a sarcastic fucktard. And I'm obviously an expert in such matters so you better take everything I say as fact.

Comment by TheBeast
    11:39 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i don't believe america is on trial; so i don't think there is a need to make its case. also people always shout about stupid americans. when you think about it, regardless of nationality there are just stupid people in society. everywhere. i'm a pretty educated guy, and have a pretty level head, but i still do extremely stupid stuff sometimes. i suppose everyone has that claim.

spreading hatred and anger only brings it back into your life. i think people should back up righteousness and justice rather than anger and revenge. that is just my outlook though. if in doubt at least agree to disagree. peace guys.

01:13 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sarcastic fucktards like you don't help America's case any.

Comment by TheBeast
    01:56 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

what's all this crap about europe inventing the silicon chip. the first microchip was invented by an american (jack kilby) and was demonstrated on september 12,1958. the first silicon chip was made by jack kilby and robert noyce, both of which were americans, in 1961. if you go off of wikipedia, it's unreliable. get credible resources.

anon@22:03
    your argument is creditless and your analogy is flawed.
    -if he didn't invent it someone else would have. that is like assuming the world is like a video game. the unlockables are already there; someone just has to figure out how it would work. that is not true for reality. the proof?

-original damascus steel.
    -statavarius stringed instuments.

both of these are great marvels of the past. both, of which, have their secret preperation techniques lost for eternity. to think that someone could just reinvent something like that is just wishful thinking.

and your anology about gravity? isaac newton didn't INVENT gravity. he DISCOVERED it's existence.

come on man, wise up.

Comment by KiriCat
    10:38 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

nice one A++++

Comment by alidan
    14:39 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

xboxes are manufactured in china, or at least thats what lawsuits against microsoft are trying to stop, the import of xbox 360s to america over some patent shit.

So far there has been no real merit to this OLD news yet they still post it here. I am starting to give up on sankaku with posting anything actually interesting.

Comment by alidan

Sylar
    18:20

if you subscribe to we evolved, than how long does it take to be considered a native of a country? i can probably go back 10 generations on either side of my family and they all lived in america.

now to everyone saying america didn't invent and shit like that, i don't doubt you. but you have to realize, that america sparks revolutions, and innovation. there is a damn good chance that if it wasnt for the american side of things, tech could be anywhere from 10-20 years behind where it is now.

there is also the distinct possibility, that there would be no graphical user interface, or at least not one that is even close to what we have today.

see america has the money, the resources, and the will to piss away multiple millions on a hunch that something may work. look at kinect for proof, not that the tech doesn't work, but as its applied to games its rudimentary at best, and they are taking a leap of faith someone will figure out how to make it work right.

now im not saying any of you are wrong, but what im saying is its undeniable that america pushes MANY industrys forward in a way that no other country does.

13:44 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey shithead; it's not the Kinect that's causing it, it's the heatsink losing contact with the chip due to the terrible mounting hardware, which causes it to overheat.

Anyone else who has experience modding or repairing 360's would tell you Kinect has nothing to do with the RROD.

Fucking ignorant fanboys.

22:47 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i thought it was 50%

Comment by POKI
    14:38 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

why u so mad???

it's not like the 360 have a high 30% faulty rate... oh wait.

Comment by Megidola
    10:32 07/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Obviously this kid's console was a Kinect hater.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    11:14 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Rejected by his own brother. lol

19:38 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

agreed. Updating new SOFTWARE even can invoke a redring as I have discovered. Stupid me for buying a microsoft product. After all they can't even get their windows right, but that's a different rant for another day.

For now it's sufficed to say that microsoft aren't even cooperative enough to use the terminology their loyal customers have created to evoke their concern as opposed to being belligerent about it.

If anything they should be grateful for the loyal fanbase they've accumulated over the years. God knows they don't deserve it, what with their rather childish responses to the media. At least tell them they are getting to the bottom of it. Seriously.

Comment by Shukero
    04:03 10/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

See this is BS, that kid probably has the same OLD STYLE xbox360, which means that this didnt have anything to do with the kinect, it had everything to do with him as well as 1,000,000's of people being retarded and not putting their xbox 360's someplace where they is no airflow....

JUST TO BE CLEAR: NO airflow = NO cool air = RROD! fucking idiots

18:26 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet it just that the consoles actually got some playing time now, and overheated.

10:27 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

is Kinect powered from the xbox360 or does it have its own plug ?

Comment by Dummy00001
    10:59 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I do not think that the power line for Kinect can be responsible.

But input from Kinect is processed on CPU: pluging in the Kinect into the Xbox makes the Xbox itself to heat more and consume more power.

Comment by megaman007
    21:28 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

MS originally said Kinect uses less than 10% of the processor and with the exception of Kinectimals I doubt a single one stresses wither processing unit.

22:22 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

we are not talking about a regular computer, we are talking about a "marvelous piece of microsoft technology" that is working at the absolute freaking limit, a few degrees can make a lot of difference (plus if its already not dissipating enough heat, the new heat will just stay inside, even with little heat generated if its not being dissipated it can get REALLY HOT after a few hours of playing)

Comment by CC
    01:36 08/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Kinect on old xbox = external connector

The best explanation I heard so far is that the xbox 360 has 3 cores and 1 is reserved for the OS. They pushed the kinect logic onto that very same core so it doesn't slow down your games too much.. but now that 3 instead of 2 cores are working the temperature rises and red rings start appearing.

Also people dusting off their old unused xbox to try this kinect thing doesn't help.

11:09 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

thats why im asking if its taking power from the console, adding extra load to something that already has tendency to overheat is a very bad idea

so does it have an external 110/220 plug or or is it powered by the xbox's switching box ?

11:13 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

if its taking power from the xbox its taking it at a low voltage, 5v or 12v so even if the load is low it might end up taking enough current to raise the temp of the xbox a few degrees

13:47 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

A few degrees won't make a difference. Anyone who's worked with computers will tell you a CPU can easily get up to 75C and still be fine; it's just any more than that can be bad. GPU's can go up to 85C without a problem; again anymore than that and you'll get artifacts, lockups, or hardware failures...

Comment by Alpha
    10:51 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If using an XBox 360 Slim, the Kinect is powered by it. If using an Old Xbox 360 Ft, you need a seperate power supply that comes with Kinect.

Unsurprisingly, the article says nothing as to which models are failing. My bet is that the old Xbox Fat models are the culprits here, as they wold be anyway.

Comment by Alpha
    21:28 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, the slim has the Rod Dot Of Death. The middle power light turns red for an error. Since we're talking Red RING of Death, we're talking about Fat models here =^_^+

20:17 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah but even so it's always going to be known as RRoD because they didn't fix a fucking thing all they did was give a new look and remove the red lights thinking if "it's not there they can't complain" like the fucking idiots they are. If they would take there heads out there asses and fix the systems correctly like a older post said they wont because they want people to rely on the warranty and repairs because they wanna be greedy little assholes. i mean look at all the game company's they bought out for the PC and then trashed them. they want to promote better playing but all they give is shit, they've become a bunch of hypocrites

Comment by Streifen
    15:48 07/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Doesn't it have to be the old xbox if they are actually getting RRoD? (Since the newer Slims don't have the the red lights?)